• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

A Rude Awakening

A Rude Awakening Europa Universalis IV Strategy Game Iaredios

• Please log in to reply
488 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2015 - 02:46 AM

WARNING: This topic contains a lot of original material, even if it is fan-fiction, so it is legally protected by Creative Commons. Unlawful abduction of original material straight from this topic or similar writings by listed authors and project members is illegal. All rights go to their original authors and creators, only thing being claimed here is original material written by the individual that goes by the aliases Iaredios / RC15O5 / Kaiser_Quanah / Tahuzilla, and other authors that are members of the A Rude Awakening project. You have been warned.

a_rude_awakening_banner.jpg

-----A BIONICLE STRATEGY GAME-----

-----AND LORE EXPANSION PROJECT-----

(Formerly known as BIONICLE Universalis)

character0174.gif   Still a Work In Progress! (Including the Topic)   character0275.gif

Background

Hello, I am Iaredios! This is a topic for requesting help for an overhaul modification for the acclaimed Grand Strategy Games, Europa Universalis IV and Crusader Kings II.

Spoiler

line.gif

Now, here are things that I am in need of:

--- A Few Graphic Artists, mainly for loading screens and a world map; also flags. Loading screens show important characters (Tahu, un-mutated Pridak, etc.), scenery, marching troops, and battles between armies (Skakdi v. Ateros Nova, Element Lords v. Barraki, and the like), and other things; about 15 or less would be needed. I already have one and am currently working on another. :) I have already designed some flags, but I could use some assistance with, for instance, the Element Lords and multiple tribes of former-Bota Magna (among many, many others).

The world map. As I am the main developer of this mod, I have decided to take it upon myself to create the world map. I will update my progress as I go.

---Musicians, I need unique music and/or some Nathan Furst BIONICLE-styled music to fit a grand strategy game. 15-20 songs (5-15 minutes each) would be nice for the soundtrack. As this is being done completely free, I am sure it would be okay to use a pre-existing song that you deem to fit BIONICLE, I will be sure to give credit in the read me file and credits (music companies, you have no need to sue me. ;) ). Most of the songs need to be peaceful and non-intrusive, while some songs need to be "epic" but remain true to the atmosphere of the game and not be too distracting. I would recommend listening to the original soundtrack of Europa Universalis IV (and prepare to tune along to Andreas Waldetoft!).

---Coder, I am familiar enough with the game and could probably do this by myself, but a helper wouldn't hurt. This game is easy to mod, its just time excessive (just like the game itself. :P). i will be seeking help from ParadoxPlaza when the need arises (and it will).

--Discussioneers: I know that is not a real word, but I could some people to just generally talk to about the course/direction of this mod, mainly discussing each faction's flag design (and meaning), cultures, religion (or virtues/beliefs), and locations, as well as organization of history. Really, I would just like a couple of Watsons.

--Modification Developers--

Head Developer:
  -   Iaredios

Graphic Artists:
  -   Iaredios
  -   Toa Imrukii
    Monty

Musicians:
  -   Toa Vanson
  -   Madu Cabolo

Discussioneers:
  -   scratchR

Special thanks go to SPIRIT for letting me use his avatar as a flag, and -Windrider- and Bonesiii for being patient with my many questions and requests. You guys are awesome. :D.

line.gif

Song ideas and themes (to retain a Bionicle atmosphere, all songs must have at least some synthetic electronic tones, be it electronica, droning, etc. Battle tunes have to have some sort of soundtrack feel. Ask in topic if you have a question):
  - Nealite Agori use a mixture of Bulgarian, Byzantine, and some Near-Eastern inspiration. Irfan, Ante Diem, and City of the Fallen are good sources of examples, as well as some traditional Medieval Roman music (I have good examples so just ask). Element Lords and Great Beings fall under this.
  - Luhneahn Agori are primitive and their music should reflect that. Inspiration could be gained from Europa Barbarorum's barbarian music tracks. (And please for the love of God lets not do anything annoying)
  - Skrall and Jirapa have a European barbaric feel to them, while retaining an organized imperial feel. TES IV: Skyrim (especially with choir and drums) and Conan the Barbarian (1980's) are good examples. Ancient in atmosphere, but also timeless.
  - Ostonigosa [Bone Hunters] draw inspiration from Eurasian Steppes and desert nomads. A mixture of ethnic tunes from these two regions would probably fit best.
  - Vorox could use like one song, being a mixture of tribal with old world desert tunes.
  - Matoran draw heavily on a mixture of Maori music, electronica, and modern classical/soundtrack styles.
  - Barraki is the same as Matoran except with a militaristic and imperial feel.
  - Makutine (Makuta Cult) is the same as Matoran except sounding more sinister and mysterious

Song Teasers:

-  Neuropolis, by Toa Vanson - Neuropolis is what the agori call Metru Nui (it translates into Brain City). You can imagine Spherus Magna  travelers going through the ruins of Metru Nui, or a Matoran remembering the City of Legends in it's glory before the Battle of Bara Magna.

-  Nealite Market, by Toa Vanson - Otherwise known as 'The Bard', this is a song fit for the daily hustle and bustle of forum or market square in the Greco-Near Eastern-inspired Agori of Greater Neala.

-  Song Of The Nomads, by N/A - This is a song for the Ostonigosa (or, Bone Hunters). it is a combination of two songs from the Rome: Total War modification, Europa Barbarorum. I must make this clear, I did not make this song, just put the two songs together since they are very alike. A revision of this song could be done to have a more Bionicle feel to it.

-  Makutine, by Toa Vanson - The theme for the evil cult based on Makuta Teridax, his prophet 'Turaga' Ahkmou. Pronounced as 'mah-koo-tee-nay', the name is of Nealite origin and is their linguistic variation of the word Makuta (obviously). The cult is made up of not only MU races but Spherus Magna races as well, as is reflected in the throat singing by present Ostonigosa culstists.

-  'Matoran Battle Song', by Toa Vanson - An absolutely fantastic song with an unfinished name. The people of the Matoran Universe gather together in  what appears to be a battle that will be remembered for all of time, and the very survival of the Matoran Universe races hangs in the balance.

-  'ARA Electronics Demo', by Madu Cabolo - Great song test that has a very Bionicle-friendly atmosphere as it blends some world music with electronica. Fits the matoran race(s) very well. I would like it if this were extended.

line.gif

Loading Screens:
http://tahuzilla.dev...nonna-497787769
http://tahuzilla.dev...t-art-527208215

Banners:
(the top language is modern Agori; ancient Agori is close to that of the Matoran written language. My full alphabet can be found here)
a_rude_awakening_banner.jpg

-- Great Being Civil War (shows a Great Being departing a space ship with others closely behind him/her, and Marendar approaching the landing ramp)
gb_civil_war_ara_banner_1.jpg

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_3.jpg

-- Eternal War: Two groups of fluid spirit collectives, Protodermis/Avhagnu and Antidermis/Krahagnu, wage war upon each other across the void-remnant, their material corpses becoming either observable matter (stars, rocks, air, water, etc) or celestial monsters (Lovecraftian horrors). Waging for eons and used by Grunchar to create material things in Existence, the Eternal War between Light and Shadow continues today. The mass of darkness can be seen by the reflective light of the Avhagnu collective.
ara_eternal_war_banner.png

Secret Spirit
wizard_of_the_wastes.png

MAP UPDATE: http://www.brickshel...ctober_2016.png

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*****UPDATE*****: Modification development is currently on hiatus to develop lore and art. Sorry if this disappoints you*****

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian, Jan 17 2017 - 02:12 PM.

line.gif

the_visions_of_thasos.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  |     ن

Farts are just the ghosts of that which we ate                                                               -                                                                 D r e a m s. They're the hurricanes that wash the soul-filth from the super-dome of the night-mind.

#2 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2015 - 03:02 AM

Flags and Nation Summaries, Part 1:

Matoran Universe Immigrants

Matoran Colonies

Spoiler

Barraki

Spoiler

Makutine (faith)

Spoiler

Other Matoran Universe Immigrants

Zyglak (all made by Toa Imrukii)

Spoiler

oomn_flag.jpg 'some matoran colony flag' (made by AidanBionicle1)

united_spherus_magna_flag_2.jpg United Spherus Magna (made by AidanBionicle1)

Other factions that need a flag:

-- Other Matoran island colonies.

-- Many Tribal Vorox bands (give them each a name)

-- United Vorox Kingdom; unite the tribes by either marriage or conquest and reach a certain technology level to announce to the world that the Vorox of the desert wastes have reemerged from obscurity! Beware their stinger tails!

-- Dark Hunters flag. A major faction for the west and major ally with Pridak.

-- New Destral, a country led by Miserix.

-- Many elemental-based, modern/tribal-mixed Matoran flags. Small-arse countries.

-- Many agori flags. Be sure they are authentic-looking and professional.

Edited by Sir Iaredios, Mar 16 2016 - 05:43 PM.

line.gif

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  |     ن

Farts are just the ghosts of that which we ate                                                               -                                                                 D r e a m s. They're the hurricanes that wash the soul-filth from the super-dome of the night-mind.

#3 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2015 - 03:16 AM

Flags and Nation Summaries, Part 2:
Spherus Magna Natives

Agori of Neala

Spoiler

Vorox
Spoiler

Ostonigosa (Bone Hunters)
Spoiler

Skrall & Jirapa
Spoiler

Element Lords (Zadashah Nahita in Ancient Agori)
Spoiler

Bota Magna Agori
Spoiler

Velika & Allies
Spoiler

Others
In the full game, there has been a fusion of cultures for some countries between Matoran and Nealite Agori, this fusion adapts the three virtues (and their sub-virtues and vices) to the Gruncharist beliefs, and aesthetically the fusion has created a Late Byzantine and a futuristic Maori hybrid. By this time, many Nealite Earth Tribesmen have gone to the south east to seek new land to be free of foreign influence under their wise ancient ruler Dijiang (probably the least war-like of the Element Lords), founding the Kingdom of Earth; due to their ethnic closeness and their disgruntled by the savage Element Lord of Wind, several Zuunic Ostonigosa have chosen to adopt the ways of Dijiang. There are also races unknown or spoken only in legend by Nealites in the farthest reaches of Spherus Magna, some of them being directly affected by colonial matoran from the island nation of Deit. Some have adopted some of the traditions of these foreigners, but others attempt to push them back to the sea.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian, Sep 08 2016 - 05:23 PM.

line.gif

#4 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 06 2015 - 03:20 AM

Lore

Things will be different from the main canon that I (and probably others) had problems with, mainly being the apparent immortality of the Spherus Magna inhabitants (I was always annoyed by this, as it made no sense to me). Some leaders and characters will be descendants of those we met in 2009, using their name as the name of a royal house (they proved themselves in the Battle of Roxtus and the Battle of Bara Magna). Some Toa and other MU characters might be left out to imply something may have happened to them in the time gap from the end of the Great Being Civil War to future bookmarks. This mod will begin about five (5) years after the New Atero Civil War and be expanded up to two-three hundred years after, the overall game lasting less than a thousand years. Things I have already explored for history files include:
Wars between

-- Establishment of the Glatorianate (Arena System) by Certavus Magnus (600 year before BoBM) not included in-game, but represents year zero)

-- Battle of Bara Magna (BoBM), foundation of New Atero/Ateros Nova (not included in-game but is historically significant)
-- Ateros Nova Civil War (15 years after BoBM; racial divisions orchestrated by Makuta Cult)
-- Numerous minor conflicts caused because of the Ateros Nova Civil War
-- Great Being Civil War (75-100 years after BoBM)
-- While the planet is being invaded, the Skakdi Dominion allied with Makuta Cult, declare war on much of the known world in the name of Makuta Teridax.
-- New Atero (state) is overrun, so agrees to become vassals of Velika's United Spherus Magnan Empire after a coup is performed that overthrows Ackar's family as the ruling family. This causes most Matoran Universe immigrants to take to the seas or unite themselves to seek protection. The Barraki become a formidable foe and is the last MU superpower on the mainland.
-- The Deit island chain is settled by Krakua and the Toa Mahri along with a great number MU immigrants, main island is christened Deit-Nui.
-- The Toa Nuva go deep into Velika's empire to cause disruptions. They end up in space and destroy all Great Being spacecraft.
-- Diet engages in colonialism to spread out the matoran race to increase it's survival in the face of incoming doom.
-- After 25 years, Velika's forces are ready for the amphibious invasion of Deit.

Here is a rough edit of the Bionicle canon (specifically Spherus Magna history) to fit my vision. Further additions and other histories can be found throughout this topic. The calendar system is a 36-hour day, and is split up into Eras, sub-divisions being Ages (if you think this should be switched around, do tell me):

First Era (Creation and Primeval History)

Spoiler

Second Era (Age of Giants, Greani and the Rise of the Skrall)

Stuff here is basically pre-futuristic tech Bionicle. Lovers of traditional fantasy, enjoy. Was linked to create more room here.

Third Era (Age of the Great Beings, Element Lords and the Core War)
Some info of this era can be found here.

Fourth Era (Age of Anarchy and the Glatorian Age, and the history of the Matoran Universe)

Spoiler

Fifth Era (Modern Day)
Spoiler

The Ackariad (precursor and inspiration for A Rude Awakening)

Deities and similar beings and entities.

Cultures:

Spherus Magna Natives: Except for the beast men of the far corners of the world who have been transformed by either the divine will of Grunchar via protodermis, or the corruptive essence of antidermis, all of Spherus Magna's natives come down from a race of people that are basically humans, and throughout history they have split off into their own groups and races, or even species. Theoretically, they can all interbreed, but it's not pursued that often (except by force, in the case of the resulting Skrall race). Also, after being changed by the Great Beings, they now have nano-augmentations that grow with them and were created to aid the agori by doubling the life-span (instead fo only a century-long lifespan they can now live for two hundred, if they can), and have better survival rates in inhospitable areas (can last without water for a few more days, same with hunger); here are some facial examples from Deus Ex: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5. People born during the reign of the Great Beings in ages past would have been augmented with metallic bone structres once they were in their early twenties, after most of their body had done developing; this was done by a simple procedure, but during the Core War it was turned into a grand ritual were people officially were fully ready for war. As the Great Beings have been absent for a long time, no one now has metallic bones.

-- Nealite Agori: The agori in general appear like humans with the exceptions that they have brown-tinged skin with a trace of either red, blue, or green skin colors. Though they are spread out among much of Spherus Magna, the most known history of the agori comes from Neala. The culture of the agori (both Tall Pisilies and Small Kontes racial variants) of Bara Magna's Neala region is Byzantine, being influenced by both Latin and Greek roots, wearing clamys robes and other simmilar robes over t-shirts and sand-proof pants (these being considered under or middle garments), having access to scarce technology from the Great Beings and the Core War; the greatest warriors are given ancient armor and sometimes vehicles from the Core War, giving them a superior advantage to the mail, lamellar and scale wearing commoners.

Spoiler

-- Element Lords: A year before the Battle of Roxtus, the Element Lords were freed for unknown reasons. The physical gods of old are free, and with the increase of troops and supplies as a result of the New Atero Civil War, they are ready to do as they please. The Element Lords force their subjects to worship them as if they are divine, only since being freed some have actually abandon this and returned to Grunchar (Svartureinn declares himself the avatar of antidermis, so he kind of worships it while still forcefully being worshiped). They also require that each person learn Ancient Agori.

--Matoran: The Matoran are a peculiar culture, carrying both the ancient tribal traditions of pre-enlightened Great Beings into their initial creation and the spread of Mata-Nui (island) Matoran cutlure, and their own culture which has flourished for many thousands of years and is very technology-dependent. They decorate their intricate exoskeletons with tattoo-like paintings; this was initially phased out with Matoran of the northern Matoran universe, the ones of Metru-Nui instead having the top of their masks silver then fade to the masks actual color, but after living outside of Metru-Nui for one thousand years the Matoran of Metru-Nui (or Mata-Nui) went back to their origins and adopted more tribal traditions, and even expanded upon their myths to create a religion based on not only the three virtues given to them by the Great Beings, but virtues for each of their tribes. Since immigrating to Spheros Magnos and having lots of contacts with the non-primal elemental tribes (gravity, lightning, the green, etc), said tribes also developed religious principals based around their tribes and cultures. Most Matoran are hard and diligent workers, taking pride in their work as they labor to please their watchful idol Mata Nui (formally this was done to ensure the body of the Great Spirit survived, but due to it's destruction, it now has a more symbolic meaning to it); Matoran that do not enjoy working are either just plain tired or lazy, or they are destined to become Toa later in their lives, as eccentric Matoran have been known to be chosen ones.

Spoiler

-- Jirapa: The Jirapatine Empire (or just Jirapa in-game) is a government that goes back thousands of years before the Core War. It is ruled by a race of giants called Jirapa, which itself means giants in Agori and Matoran; aside from their height (ranging from 9-to-11 feet tall), they are of reddish-brown skin color, large teeth, have strange natural line patterns all over their bodies with each jirapa's pattern being unique, are usually savage and/or brutish (some exceptions, like Milzvilkanor and Tuma), and lastly have a craving for the flesh of sentients (man-eating).
Spoiler

-- Skrall:  The Skrall are a savage and brutal race with traditions going back to a thousand years before the Rise of the Great Beings and the Core War. They are reddish-brown (more on the brown side) except some rare cases (like Greani Ateir), tend to be naturally athletic and strong, as well brutish and/or savage (again, some exceptions). Because of their origin, they have strange natural line patterns on their skin, except that it is only found on the trorso, back, and upper arms, unlike the jirapa race where the patterns are everywhere. 
Spoiler

-- Galynkhun, the Fire People. This 'race' of agori have their origins closely tied to a faith called Galitgel are a people that have adapted to life on steedback and hunting, which has been realized in the form of their medium heights, heightened senses; tribes east of Geneteira practice hunnic cranial deformations and are more wild. These peoples are nomads that have palisade-fenced villages and a few proper settlements throughout their qaghanates. All peoples of Galynkhun descent appear somewhat East Asian in appearance, the people of Vulkanos less so due to intermixing with neighbors. 

Spoiler

Larfeia, and the Great Beings

The origins of the Great Beings and the people they once were traces back to the dawn of sentience upon Spherus Magna in Geneteira, the Birthland of Thought. The First Ones were still in small population and they were united under a single patriarch. He was good. His only child and heir, was evil. When he died, the tribe was going to split into two between two siblings as they both claimed to have the right to rule. The older brother wanted to rule like their father, while the younger sister wanted to rule like their grandfather. Each wanted to lead their people, but knew that having groups of allied individuals fight another such group (this idea would later be called 'war')  would leave them open to attack as their numbers were low and monsters ruled the land. So, the two  fought each other in a duel for the sacred staff to rule the tribe. The battle was rough, but it was too evenly matched. The brother demanded a rematch as only one could rule the land. While the sister agreed, she refused a rematch. she instead opted for immigration, and asked if anyone wanted to join her. Those that wanted policies like the grandfather allied with her, but even if they did not many would partake in the journey with her either out of fear of the unknown or age, so only 1/4th of the people followed her.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian, Jun 24 2016 - 04:29 AM.

line.gif

#5 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Mata Nuian Protector

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 09 2015 - 06:41 AM

The link to my Brickshelf Gallery.

http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=554940

Quote of the Month: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance."

:t: :m_o: :a:     :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i:

a_heroes_stance.png
A RUDE AWAKENING - A BIONICLE G1 Continuation and Video Game Project (ARTIST AND CONCEPTUALIST) | I am an ENFP, that is my Personality.
Check Out Makuta Teridax: Reaper of Darkness | Check out my Taknuva Stars MOC |

#6 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 01:24 PM

This topic brings up some interesting ideas.

Does anyone think that anything we have in relation to the things discussed in that topic should be changed? Do they make more sense, or should we keep what has currently been constructed?

line.gif

#7 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 05:14 PM

Is Madu still part of the development team?

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

#8 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 06:43 PM

Is Madu still part of the development team?

I am going to say no, as he never responded again after my first few messages with him. In fact, he hasn't popped up on the site at all. I hope nothing bad happened to him.

I got that planet diagram of the sorts finished. You guys want me to also post it in the first topic in case others get confused? I'll also upload an update on the map, and you guys can answer some questions.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 10 2015 - 07:03 PM.

line.gif

#9 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, I'd like to see the planet diagram.

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

#10 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 08:34 PM

EDIT [12/6/2015]: ***NOTICE:  While much of the depiction of the fragmentation of Spherus Magna is still ARA canon, names such as 'Greater Bara Magna' have since been changed and the topography of the planet shown in this post have since been edited. ***

spherus_magna_before_and_after.png

Ignore the mountain range to the south east, I'm going to remove that.

Aaaaand here is the map update:

spherus_magna_-_map_update_4.3.jpg

I am not sure if I like the far east. It was part of Aqua Magna when it blew out, but when other parts of the planet merged to the bottom part of this aquatic fragment (pun totally intended) it pushed up a formally submerged area. This also caused the water to go to other areas and submerge areas previously surfaced, allowing the surface of the planet to be changed by coasts rather then only seismic and celestial activity (Battle of Bara Magna and Shattering). Anyway, I was thinking of removing this gulf and putting in instead many lakes and seas that could be connected to the main ocean (what was it called before Greg F. revealed Spherus Magna? 'Never ending Ocean'?)

Edited by Sir Iaredios, Dec 06 2015 - 05:54 PM.

line.gif

#11 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 10 2015 - 10:23 PM

I like the far east on the map. 

#12 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 06:05 AM

Alright, thanks for the input. I'd also like to hear from Aidan or anyone else before I do anything. I myself am feeling a bit iffy on the far east coast because the gulf kind of has the shape of a creature's mouth.

Was the diagram-thing done well enough? Did it explain well?

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 11 2015 - 09:41 AM.

line.gif

#13 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 01:24 PM

I guess it does look a little like a mouth. Maybe you could fix that by making it a bit more rounded, like this?

saginaw-bay-algae-green-nasa.jpg

Yeah, I understood the planet thing.

#14 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 01:28 PM

Hmm, alright I'll try to make a few of those; I think having multiple gulfs/harbors could reduce the appearance of a mouth.

line.gif

#15 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 01:38 PM

That or the addition of islands and peninsulas. Kind of like how Florida and the Bahamas look.

satellite-view-of-the-bahamas-florida-st

#16 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 02:48 PM

When I mean Spherus Magna, I mean the whole planet, not just one region. so that flag is the United Spherus is the whole planet, the bara region is the one being shown though.

a_heroes_stance.png
A RUDE AWAKENING - A BIONICLE G1 Continuation and Video Game Project (ARTIST AND CONCEPTUALIST) | I am an ENFP, that is my Personality.

#17 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 03:16 PM

When I mean Spherus Magna, I mean the whole planet, not just one region. so that flag is the United Spherus is the whole planet, the bara region is the one being shown though.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Is it kind of like the United Nations flag, where it represents the entire globe but only shows Earth from the North Pole-down?

line.gif

#18 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 11 2015 - 04:44 PM

Alright, thanks for the clarification. Is it kind of like the United Nations flag, where it represents the entire globe but only shows Earth from the North Pole-down?

*mind blown*

#19 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 12 2015 - 10:11 AM

*mind blown*

Is that sarcasm I am sensing? Or did you never get the UN flag before?

My mommy always did say that I was special. :bigrazz:

line.gif

#20 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 12 2015 - 12:42 PM

*mind blown*

No, how the UN flag is the whole world but only shows part of it.

#21 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 12 2015 - 10:00 PM

*mind blown*

No, how the UN flag is the whole world but only shows part of it.

Well, most of the human population and surface land area of earth exists in the northern hemisphere, so I think that's why. i like to joke that the flag is like that because USA and Russia can be seen from there. :P

EDIT: I had an idea: should major rivers be turned into sea provinces (in-land sea variants), so it would look like people could go up rivers and land soldiers more inland? This idea comes from Crusader Kings where major rivers are accessible to pagans (especially vikings) and tribes.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 14 2015 - 11:31 AM.

line.gif

#22 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 12:00 PM

EDIT: I had an idea: should major rivers be turned into sea provinces (in-land sea variants), so it would look like people could go up rivers and land soldiers more inland? This idea comes from Crusader Kings where major rivers are accessible to pagans (especially vikings) and tribes.

This is a pretty good idea. You would have to figure out which factions can be water-dwelling and which can't. In other words, what factions can build boats?

#23 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 12:59 PM

This is a pretty good idea. You would have to figure out which factions can be water-dwelling and which can't. In other words, what factions can build boats?

All factions can build boats, the most primitive in technology can only build canoes though and they will most certainly die quickly in open ocean.

Since Aidan has the game I want to also hear his opinion on how this would look on the map.

line.gif

#24 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 02:50 PM

All factions can build boats, the most primitive in technology can only build canoes though and they will most certainly die quickly in open ocean.

Since Aidan has the game I want to also hear his opinion on how this would look on the map.

So, for example, Matoran would do very well on the water? We know that Ga-Matoran on Mata Nui can build sailboats.

#25 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 03:19 PM

So, for example, Matoran would do very well on the water? We know that Ga-Matoran on Mata Nui can build sailboats.

I would say matoran and other MU races would be the most advanced on the map. As the MU doesn't feature large, expansive oceans, just inclosed seas with a man-shaped archipelago, I doubt they would immediately be ready for long-distant sailing and even more distant colonization. But that's what technology advancement is for! :D If the Lhikan airships could be made in a jiffy, I'm sure stable sea ships can be possible, or would they even be neccesary?

When the game is stable to play as, everything will initially look like it does in the base game: early-modern period mcschnitzel. Afterwards, however, we can all work on creation of custom game sprites. i bring this up because, instead of sea ships, would-ocean based air craft be better visually? Idk, just brainstorming here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I want to implement the Toa Terrain Crawler in some way, like maybe Miserix could have made a few more of them for the Order to revamp. But for what purpose... I'm thinking maybe a national decision where you could implement the usage of these to increase colonization rate (faster rise in colony populations by jetting people across ocean floors. if we can't decide right now, that's fine: the map comes first (that is basically half of the whole game).

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 14 2015 - 03:28 PM.

line.gif

#26 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 03:40 PM

I would say matoran and other MU races would be the most advanced on the map. As the MU doesn't feature large, expansive oceans, just inclosed seas with a man-shaped archipelago, I doubt they would immediately be ready for long-distant sailing and even more distant colonization. But that's what technology advancement is for! :D If the Lhikan airships could be made in a jiffy, I'm sure stable sea ships can be possible, or would they even be neccesary?

When the game is stable to play as, everything will initially look like it does in the base game: early-modern period mcschnitzel. Afterwards, however, we can all work on creation of custom game sprites. i bring this up because, instead of sea ships, would-ocean based air craft be better visually? Idk, just brainstorming here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I want to implement the Toa Terrain Crawler in some way, like maybe Miserix could have made a few more of them for the Order to revamp. But for what purpose... I'm thinking maybe a national decision where you could implement the usage of these to increase colonization rate (faster rise in colony populations by jetting people across ocean floors. if we can't decide right now, that's fine: the map comes first (that is basically half of the whole game).

I guess technological advancement makes sense. I was referring to the fact the the Matoran are probably the most seaworthy faction from the start. If you got all of the factions together and said "you need to make a boat", while many groups would be behind, the Matoran probably already built a sailboat. Not to mention the fact that Ga-Matoran are competent sailors in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how this game works, so are there certain advantages to choosing one faction over another? Like "faction x can make technological advancements faster, but faction y has a better army"? 

#27 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:20 PM

I guess technological advancement makes sense. I was referring to the fact the the Matoran are probably the most seaworthy faction from the start. If you got all of the factions together and said "you need to make a boat", while many groups would be behind, the Matoran probably already built a sailboat. Not to mention the fact that Ga-Matoran are competent sailors in the first place. I'm not entirely sure how this game works, so are there certain advantages to choosing one faction over another? Like "faction x can make technological advancements faster, but faction y has a better army"? 

Each country has what the game calls "National Traditions", and they are buffs that country starts off with, and in-story accumulated over the years or just the nature of their culture. After that, there are "National Ideas", which are nation-specific buffs that come with the advancement of ideas a player picks, so as the country evolves so do their traditions. Normal ideas are categories that people can pick of their own choosing, depending on how they play and what they want their country's fate to be (humanism, trade, science, religion, etc), and as you invest in a level for each idea, your national ideas slowly become unlocked.

For better explanation, you can look here, or better yet try out the demo on Steam.

https://www.youtube....h?v=tVoglrkepEw

And for Civilization players out there, I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pK9vPgNAqzY

(All the preceding links have been linked as I haven't watched them so I do not know if 'curse words' are featured or not)

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 14 2015 - 04:39 PM.

line.gif

#28 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 04:46 PM

Each country has what the game calls "National Traditions", and they are buffs that country starts off with, and in-story accumulated over the years or just the nature of their culture. After that, there are "National Ideas", which are nation-specific buffs that come with the advancement of ideas a player picks, so as the country evolves so do their traditions. Normal ideas are categories that people can pick of their own choosing, depending on how they play and what they want their country's fate to be (humanism, trade, science, religion, etc), and as you invest in a level for each idea, your national ideas slowly become unlocked.

For better explanation, you can look here, or better yet try out the demo on Steam.

https://www.youtube....h?v=tVoglrkepEw

And for Civilization players out there, I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube....h?v=pK9vPgNAqzY

(All the preceding links have been linked as I haven't watched them so I do not know if 'curse words' are featured or not)

In that case, Matoran should have the National Tradition of extreme adaptability or skills in everything.

#29 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 05:11 PM

Now not so fast. Most matoran in the MU lived rather primitively, living in huts, and at most stone fortifications. The most readily advanced areas would have been  the islands of Metru-Nui, Artakha, and the settlements on Destral and Daxia; not to mention the every-now-and-then charging station and protodermis chute (plus it's adjacent control panel(s)). Everything else is just stone-carved temples and buildings, faux wooden buildings, etc., with technology below the surface or hidden behind things. Science-Fantasy genre at it's best. If you want to see the the height of the more primitive sides of the MU (besides the chutes and other small things), take a look at the ruins of Nan Madol, and other pacific islander ruins.

It should also be more interesting to note that the Matoran lacked the wheel, they instead did everything by themselves, round tree logs, or arthropodic leg movement (for the more advanced variants); this going off of the interviews with people who made the original Bionicle films. I'm not sure if many other races had discovered the wheel. I know Avak did, he used it in the creation of his motorcycle (which was later taken from him by Antroz in a battle). If the wheel had not been around the MU beforehand, then that means that Avak invented the wheel. :lol:

The more advanced MU areas and their inhabitants could help speed up progress with the rest of the MU inhabitants. This makes me wonder if there should be two MU technology levels.

Adaptability? Not sure if that is a buff. I'll go see what is appropriate when EU IV is done updating on me (my slow internet connection means that this has been going on since last Monday/Tuesday; almost done though) by going into the custom country designer.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 14 2015 - 05:32 PM.

line.gif

#30 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 05:34 PM

I didn't mean so much as being technologically advanced as much as I meant adaptable and hardy. The Matoran faction, if I'm not mistaken, refers to all Matoran, so that's a race with essentially every element possible. Therefore, as technology advanced, there would be certain Matoran that would better at certain things. For example, if flying machines were developed, Le-Matoran would already be adapted and well suited to piloting them.

EDIT: you posted while I was typing.

Edited by Toa Vanson, Jun 14 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#31 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 14 2015 - 05:51 PM

Hmm. Then once EU IV is finished updating I will check out what suits the matoran race the best. i can name a tradition called "Matoran Adaptability", but I will have to check and see how that can translate into the game. Each country gets two National Traditions, have any ideas for a second one? I was thinking of something like "Toa Assistance", and having defense bonus (as I doubt Toa will agree to the invasion of land and killing other people).

Despite what I have said previously, I think that for ease of communication I recommend getting the demo for this game and looking around. When I had the demo, I played as Venice starting in 1444, got exploration ideas, took a province from Morocco and later colonized St. Helena by 1492 (which is when the demo ends). :lol: Lets see what you can do!  *evil laugh* :evilbiggrin:

EDIT: Apparently. Paradox did too much stuff when updating the EU IV. The game is crashing for everyone at the moment. In a couple of days their should a hot fix ready to go.  I am a bit peeved that after waiting almost a week to play my game, it does not work. *sigh* Oh well. :confused:

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon, Jun 15 2015 - 02:07 AM.

line.gif

#32 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 17 2015 - 11:50 AM

anymore updates on things we're working on?

a_heroes_stance.png

#33 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 17 2015 - 07:53 PM

Not really an update, but I wanted to know if major rivers should be accessible to ships, just like Crusader Kings II (only this time available to everyone, not just pagans and tribes). How do you think this would look like on the map? Vanson said that he thought that was a good idea, but you have the game and i wanted your opinion on it based on that.

I ask this because the Skrall River from Faber's map of the area of Bara Magna seems pretty huge near the sea, and this decision is vital to the development of the map.

line.gif

#34 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 18 2015 - 01:47 PM

Not really an update, but I wanted to know if major rivers should be accessible to ships, just like Crusader Kings II (only this time available to everyone, not just pagans and tribes). How do you think this would look like on the map? Vanson said that he thought that was a good idea, but you have the game and i wanted your opinion on it based on that.

I ask this because the Skrall River from Faber's map of the area of Bara Magna seems pretty huge near the sea, and this decision is vital to the development of the map.

I have no problem with rivers, ADD THEM IN. besides, that giant sea that was once of Bota Magna had HUGE rivers and deltas, so why not?

a_heroes_stance.png

#35 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2015 - 02:47 AM

I have no problem with rivers, ADD THEM IN. besides, that giant sea that was once of Bota Magna had HUGE rivers and deltas, so why not?

Giant sea? What are you talking about exactly?

line.gif

#36 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2015 - 03:13 PM

Giant sea? What are you talking about exactly?
The sea on the UBM (united bota magna) flag.

Edited by AidanBionicle1, Jun 20 2015 - 03:13 PM.

a_heroes_stance.png

#37 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 20 2015 - 07:56 PM

Apologies for the lack of inactivity (music is being worked on) but I'd like to announce that I'll be on a brief six day hiatus starting tomorrow until Saturday as I'll be at scout camp. 

#38 Offline Iaredios the Desert Dude

Iaredios the Desert Dude
  • Members
  • Pahrak-Kal Attacks!

• 10-April 07
  • 2,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 22 2015 - 02:20 PM

Good to know. I think I'd also like to announce a brief hiatus from Bionicle in general. I need to take a break or else I'll burn out of it; I'd rather not abandon this project. :D I'll come back and post a message when my interest has peaked again.

line.gif

#39 Offline Grungemeister

Grungemeister
  • Members
  • Swarm Scavenger

• 07-January 15
  • 686 posts
  •  

Posted Jun 27 2015 - 03:07 PM

My hiatus is over.

#40 Offline Toa Imrukii

Toa Imrukii
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members

• 01-March 14
  • 1,636 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 01 2015 - 05:50 PM

mine is now over.

Hey Vanson, any songs in the works?

a_heroes_stance.png

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users