To-Do List for LEGO Worlds

Last week Chris Rose of Traveller's Tales Games posted a new blog entry on Steam about what the team behind LEGO Worlds is working on. He covers all sorts of topics, from underwater to GUI to multiplayer and more, and the sort of work they're doing in each area. The scope of this game seems to keep growing, but the way the team is approaching it in a transparent manner is very reassuring. I look forward to see what happens next!

View the full article

I can't see this being exactly like LEGO Universe. Universe was costly and just plain didn't work; in particular, keeping the MMORPG style kid-friendly was, by all accounts, disastrous—especially financially.

I'm confident that LEGO won't make the same mistakes ... but you never know. We'll see how Worlds turns out.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I can't see this being exactly like LEGO Universe. Universe was costly and just plain didn't work; in particular, keeping the MMORPG style kid-friendly was, by all accounts, disastrous—especially financially.

I'm confident that LEGO won't make the same mistakes ... but you never know. We'll see how Worlds turns out.

The issue that plagued Universe cannot be avoided in any LEGO game with free build. Having free reign means people can build whatever inappropriate things they wish, and someone's got to moderate that.

The issue that plagued Universe cannot be avoided in any LEGO game with free build. Having free reign means people can build whatever inappropriate things they wish, and someone's got to moderate that.

I wasn't under the impression that the inappropriate builds were the only problems with Universe. Surely LEGO feels as if they can break even with real-time moderation should free building make it into the release of Worlds, and that can only be accomplished by learning from their mistakes in Universe and applying those to Worlds.

If it was the only major issue and/or there's no other streamlining involved, then Worlds will be just like Universe and we'll all be scratching our heads at the end of this one too.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

The issue with Universe and free-building was that it was an open world where you could encounter random people. My interpretation of TT Games' desire for multiplayer in Worlds is that it would be co-op play for 2-4 people (or so). If you're opting-in to join a friend's game, then there shouldn't be an issue if that friend has something that's not 'kid-appropriate' in their world.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

The issue with Universe and free-building was that it was an open world where you could encounter random people. My interpretation of TT Games' desire for multiplayer in Worlds is that it would be co-op play for 2-4 people (or so). If you're opting-in to join a friend's game, then there shouldn't be an issue if that friend has something that's not 'kid-appropriate' in their world.

Correct. Multiplayer in LEGO Worlds will only be with friends you know from elsewhere, not with complete strangers. This way, the game developers don't bear the responsibility for connecting you with people who might be inclined to build inappropriate content.

• Upvote 1