G1 to G2 connection theories topic

Hello all of y'all.

Considering the amount of topics on this one subject, here's a topic on this one subject. Enjoy.

This is where you get to post, discuss and compare Bionicle G1 and G2 connection theories. Basically, any way that G2 could actually be a continuation of G1, or vice versa. Just remember to keep it nice, and don't try to discredit people for coming up with an idea. :)

Post to it!

• Upvote 3

About dang time we had a master topic for this.

In any case, I suppose I might as well share mine. As most people know, I don't really want the two canons to be connected. I feel it would subvert the ending of the classic story and erase the independence of the modern story to try and haphazardly patch the two together. But I do have ideas of how I'd want the two to be connected if that were to occur.

Firstly—and this is crucial—the two should be alternate universes at best. Okoto should not exist in the G1 universe, be it in the past, present, or future. Keeping the two stories independent of one another is paramount. And that's not to say that the universes should be "divergent timelines" or anything like that, either, since that would only make every difference between the two stories subject to endless scrutiny. If the writers are dead-set on the two universes having somehow diverged, then their differences shouldn't be linked to any one causal event, and the two universes should be considered to be just two of an almost infinite number of Bionicle universes, each with its own heroes and legends.

Secondly—any crossover events, should they occur, should be rare and isolated. The absolute LAST thing I would want is for the universes to be crossable at any point by any idiot with an Olmak. That kind of randomness was my least favorite thing about the alternate universe shenanigans of the classic story. I don't want the new Toa crossing over to the old story just to wrap up loose ends in that canon, nor do I want the new Toa's overall quest to be abetted by interlopers from another world. Any crossover that occurs would be better off creating a new, independent problem to be solved and leaving the status quo of both universes intact, with neither group taking away anything more than memories and a valuable lesson of some sort.

I don't think these conditions are too much to ask. They're pretty typical of a lot of crossovers between multiple franchises. To be honest, I'm not entirely opposed to a crossover story—in fact, if we got to a point where there were more Bionicle novels or graphic novels than it took to take that year's story, and they chose to create a one-off crossover in one of them, that'd honestly be pretty rad. But most people, when they propose connections, seem to want to tie the two canons together inextricably, where the events in one story directly affect the other in one way or another. And I just can't get behind that—the two stories are too different to reconcile without making a dent in one or the other. I'd rather the old story remain a closed book, with all its successes and failures preserved, and for the new story to be allowed to continue independently of that.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

At LAST.

I have had a few possible ways this could work...

G2 is a far-past series of events on Spherus Magna, with the protectors being early versions of the agori. The great beings used this story as a basis for the toa in the MU.

Or, my personal headcannon...We know that the toa were well known legends in G1 before they actually were ever active. This is that legend, and Vakama is the narrator, telling it to various ta-matoran on Mata Nui.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

Guys! Here's my connection theory:

There IS NO connection! 

I know, right? It's kind of outrageous, but maybe we can headcannon it and ask Greg to canonize it!!1!1!!1

This is the story line and theories thread... I've noticed you like to constantly point out there is no connection, and we all already know that. We just like to speculate and theorize. No need to get angry. Also, Greg F has already confirmed there is no connection, so there will be no need to go running to him.  ;)

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I think at some point, either BS01 will be proved a liar, or G2 Takanuva will be turned into Shadow Takanuva and be pitted against G1 Takanuva.

Oh, and here's my old connection theory (which I feel obliged to mention, I wrote knowing full well that it's almost impossible that the two are connected in any way whatsoever)

IF the two are connected in any way whatsoever, I'd like to think that G2 takes place so far after G1 that the Toa Mata have faded into myth and legend, and the civilizations of the island have faded to ruins, overgrown with plant life. The G2 Toa fall from the sky and land in front of the Protectors, and when they ask who they are, the Protectors name them after heroes of myth and legend, the bedtime stories they grew up being told, the Toa Mata.

My own personal theory (though, I'm pretty sure it was said here before) is that G1 was retconned along with the rest of the DC Multiverse via Flashpoint, and thus G2 was born into the New 52.

Think about it. New 52 has characters fit into a more 'realistic' (i.e. weaker) world. So far, these new incarnations of the Toa are, so far, shown to be quite a bit weaker than their Seniors. 

Edited by Dunkleosteus-San
  • Upvote 1

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

Guys! Here's my connection theory:

There IS NO connection! 

I know, right? It's kind of outrageous, but maybe we can headcannon it and ask Greg to canonize it!!1!1!!1

This is the story line and theories thread... I've noticed you like to constantly point out there is no connection, and we all already know that. We just like to speculate and theorize. No need to get angry. Also, Greg F has already confirmed there is no connection, so there will be no need to go running to him.  ;)

My apologies for the saltyness, but it seems to me that the very nature of this topic is to discuss ways that they could be connected, when it has already been confirmed that they're not. 

bZpOwEr

No, I completely understand. At least if this thread manages to contain all theories, it won't seem as if these types of threads are everywhere. 

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

Isn't there some sort of forum rule about not creating "master topics"? Perhaps I'm misremembering...

Anyway, my preferred link would be that G2 is set some time after G1, in the same universe although not necessarily the same location. The characters are of course all new, except for the Toa who are the Mata with memory loss.

There would be no need to know G1 story to understand G2 story, but there could be the odd ambiguous reference.

:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Yeah I just checked and there is. 

No "post-it-here" topics, which means a topic trying to act like an official "only post about this subject here" topic, or a topic providing no content and asking repliers to make the content. (A topic that asks a specific question does not count as this, although there's some gray areas.)

Guess there can't be an official thread. 

Edited by Guardian Legend

-The Doctor

Yeah I just checked and there is. 

No "post-it-here" topics, which means a topic trying to act like an official "only post about this subject here" topic, or a topic providing no content and asking repliers to make the content. (A topic that asks a specific question does not count as this, although there's some gray areas.)

Guess there can't be an official thread. 

Yeah, and as I said in another, we aren't going to have an actual official one either, as that would seem to endorse them. If we did, the firstpost would basically be "they said it's a reboot" which isn't really worth having a whole official topic for. :P

Post-it-here closed. :)

• Upvote 4

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)