Crunchy's Forge [Paper Mask Archive]

Crunchyn

Hey, congrats on the Flash Fire contest!But yeah, I think probably what I'll do is make a new one and hopefully it'll be better than my current one, then I can repaint my current one. Hopefully I use the paint job to cover over or distract from those lines.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Nowhere But Here, Nowhen But Now

Mask-Maker: Finished Hau

Thanks :)PS: I was surfing the world wide web for bionicle pepakura and I managed to find another dude on this one site which shall not be and can not mentioned who made a FINISHED MIRU made from my files, it was pretty awesome.

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

I've been wondering: how do you attach the sides of the kakama to the main piece, and how does the thing at the top of the main piece work? thats been confusing me for days now.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I've been wondering: how do you attach the sides of the kakama to the main piece, and how does the thing at the top of the main piece work? thats been confusing me for days now.
Ah, sorry for not explaining that. http://www.majhost.com/gallery/sik1276/CBart/Pepakura/kakamahelp.png Here you go :)

Almost used my Hau for a rather unique purpose today-So we have a hot tub but some of the side panels are loose and a bunch of wasps made nests under them- we got Raid and it was my job to dress in heavy clothing and go out in the 90-degree heat to spray the nests. At first I used a swim mask and tightened my sweatshirt hood way up, but I couldn't breathe and the goggles fogged up. i was trying to figure out what to use when it hit me: I ran to my room and tried my mask on. It fit snugly enough against my hood to not let wasps in and the mesh allowed me to breathe while keeping the wasps out. In short, it was perfect.But, sadness of sadness, I had no good way of keeping it on my head yet- still no strap. :(So instead I opted for a Creeper head that I made for Halloween last year and that used the same mesh for the face. It seemed fitting enough for destroying their painstakingly made homes.

As you can see by my avatar, I'm almost finished with a pakari. And maybe you should consider making a rahkshi head and/or tohunga feet models.Right now, I'm almost done cutting my hau, but I'm having a sort of mental block. your later works seem more streamlined, but I can barely understand the hau and the cutting is confusing on it, So I'll be postponing my hau creation for a bit.and also, why does this kakama have more detail than the one in the file? I was disappointed by the lack of detail in the version I'm working on.

Edited by Bulik

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

As you can see by my avatar, I'm almost finished with a pakari. And maybe you should consider making a rahkshi head and/or tohunga feet models.Right now, I'm almost done cutting my hau, but I'm having a sort of mental block. your later works seem more streamlined, but I can barely understand the hau and the cutting is confusing on it, So I'll be postponing my hau creation for a bit.and also, why does this kakama have more detail than the one in the file? I was disappointed by the lack of detail in the version I'm working on.
Well as you can tell in the preview pictures on the first post, this one has no details (I actually got it from the game :3) so I had to make my own details from scratch with foam sheets/cardboard, and I'm sorry to hear about the Hau, I'll try to rectify that.EDIT: Actually Maphrox sent me a bunch of mask files quite a while ago, the Ruru's one of them.http://www.majhost.com/gallery/sik1276/CBart/Pepakura/maphroxpack.pngSome are just retopology of ones I did do already like the Hau, this Hau here fixes the mouth problem, I believe. Others are more high-detail parts like the Kakama and the Akaku. However, I'm really busy with other stuff so it'll be unlikely that I'll be able to whip all of these out. So if there's one that you really want, please say so and I'll try to do that first. Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I'd really like you to do the Kakama first. It's been one of my favorite masks for years, along with the kualsi. But there isn't much of a rush since I'm going to start on 3 more masks soon.

i think there's a lot of stuff here to work with so there's no real hurry, but I'd love to see the Akaku and Kakama (lot of ak's!) just to complete the Mata set.
I agree: there isn't much of a hurry. I've finished my low-quality kakama, and am almost done with my pakari, so I printed the noble huna, the mask of light I don't want to embarrass myself by spelling it incorrectly, and the kualsi. I've already finished cutting the huna and probably will cut the kualsi out overnight :happydance:

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone know how long it takes to construct one of these masks? I'm thinking about making one for my friend who's still in to Bionicles for his birthday.
It depends on what mask, how much time you have, and what schedule you are building on. Some masks I can cut all in one night (Even though I stay up until 1am :P ), and others take longer. It also depends on when you glue. When I glue, I wait 40 mins for it to dry, then I glue again, and so on. I suggest doing some of the newer masks, as they are less complex in general. The pakari is a good choice. Also, when I glue I use six clamp thingies that aren't directly clothespins, but don't stick to the paper easily. You can still try to use clothespins though.

It also depends on how far you're taking the construction of the mask. Cutting+glueing will take several hours. Coating it with podge before painting, a while longer depending on how many coats. Adding resin, though, will be by far the biggest time-consumer, though I couldn't put a figure on it. A long time. If you just want to cut, glue, podge, and paint a mask, you could probably do it in a dedicated weekend. Casting would add probably a day though.I'm basing that estimate off the Medium-difficulty Hau. An easy mask may take less time, and a Hard will definitely take more. It's a fun experience though, and your friend will certainly enjoy it!Alright, I've dug out an old pair of ski goggles and taken them apart- I'll try to cut the orange plastic into lenses, I may or may not be able to make the amount of plastic fit the eyeholes on my Hau.But the main point is, I've now got the strap with almost half the frame on each end. My thought is to hot-glue them into the broad, flat part of the inside, near the back edge. It wouldn't be the most elegant-looking, but it would hold the mask on and offer some degree of padding and adjustability. Anyone have any better ideas? I'm sure there's a better way to do it but I'm having difficulty coming up with anything feasible.

Edited by bonesiii
DP merged. -bones

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, thanks! I'll do that tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes!*Edit*Yeah. So. Hot glue: not enough of a bond on mask or goggles to be long-term. Strap: too long.So my mechanism wouldn't stay on my mask and my mask wouldn't stay on my head. Back to the drawing board...

Edited by Pleurodeles Waltl

Alright, thanks! I'll do that tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it goes!*Edit*Yeah. So. Hot glue: not enough of a bond on mask or goggles to be long-term. Strap: too long.So my mechanism wouldn't stay on my mask and my mask wouldn't stay on my head. Back to the drawing board...
yeah, I was worried that might happen. If you are not too against hurting your baby, I would suggest drilling a couple of holes on the side of the mask then using nuts/bolts/whatever they're called and stab them through your straps to affix them to the mask. Then paint the outside screws to hide them or cover them with the resin, paper clay, whatever and sand and paint again :P
I keep looking at Crunchbite's avvie and thinking how much I want to make a Kraahkan....
I do have a Kraahkan model but the model isn't really suitable for paper, someone will have to fix it or model a new one :/

I keep looking at Crunchbite's avvie and thinking how much I want to make a Kraahkan....
I do have a Kraahkan model but the model isn't really suitable for paper, someone will have to fix it or model a new one :/
If someone made this possible, I would totally make it. And even try to make it go both ways like the real mask.edit: I have Pep. If you sent me the file, would I be able to open it up in Pepakura designer myself? Just to look at it? Edited by Toa Fuffuloo

The first Toa of Cereal

I do agree that a Kraahkan would be pretty awesome if insanely hard.I'd already thought about drilling, but the resin is too thing on one side- it didn't pour quite evenly. Even with thick resin I'd still be hesitant. I'm pretty against hurting my baby. I'll figure something out, even if I just have to duct tape it to my head for Halloween.

I do agree that a Kraahkan would be pretty awesome if insanely hard.I'd already thought about drilling, but the resin is too thing on one side- it didn't pour quite evenly. Even with thick resin I'd still be hesitant. I'm pretty against hurting my baby. I'll figure something out, even if I just have to duct tape it to my head for Halloween.
Then instead of Hotglue, use Gorilla glue/superglue :DHmm, unfortunately I must have lost the Kraahkan, I will need to contact my friend to see if he still has it.

• 4 weeks later...
Have you made any progress on the Higher quality kakama?
Actually no, sorry. I've just been really busy with school [drawing 25 trees a week for homework -_-] and also have been helping with some other projects for some guys I know. I can try to whip it out by this weekend.And sorry guys for, if you hadn't noticed, taking down the download links, but there's some things that are going on and I'm just taking precautions.

Actually no, sorry. I've just been really busy with school [drawing 25 trees a week for homework -_-] and also have been helping with some other projects for some guys I know. I can try to whip it out by this weekend.And sorry guys for, if you hadn't noticed, taking down the download links, but there's some things that are going on and I'm just taking precautions.
I know how you feel :(I'm glad you're still trying to make progress, though

I know how you feel :(I'm glad you're still trying to make progress, though
Em, I'm really not :PI am attempting a very small yet ambitious Bionicle project, I just don't know if I have the time to see it to the end...In fact, here's a preview at my planning. http://www.majhost.com/gallery/sik1276/CBart/Pepakura/PaperBioniclePlans/jointdesign3.jpg Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Kakama is unfolded. Now I gotta go out tomorrow and draw mooooorrreeeee trees :Phttp://www.majhost.com/gallery/sik1276/CBart/Pepakura/kakama.pngReminder: I'm not publicly releasing any download links for the time being.

Is it possible that you could make a model for the noble mahiki, i've always wanted to see that mask in dark orange (like hewkii's mask color) and i want to melt down plastic to make one, but meanwhile making one of paper could be fun, thanks. also, where might i find a download for this softwere or for a certain mask? and yay, 100th post

Edited by banana92

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging I'm digging

I'm digging

Is it possible that you could make a model for the noble mahiki, i've always wanted to see that mask in dark orange (like hewkii's mask color) and i want to melt down plastic to make one, but meanwhile making one of paper could be fun, thanks. also, where might i find a download for this softwere or for a certain mask? and yay, 100th post
Congratulations :)I don't have a model of the Noble Mahiki [i don't know how to model....yet] and I don't know if anyone has ever modeled one. I would like to note that I did not model any of these masks that you see, I recieved these from other modelers and am only the unfolder that makes them possible to be made from paper.The software's name is Pepakura Designer/Viewer by Tamasoft, Inc. and sorry, I'm not providing any downloads of any masks out right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Now this looks very interesting. :) I remember many years ago that I once tried to make a paper mask of my own from scratch. Don't know what happened to it, though.Quite a shame that you're currently not providing any download links. (I had been hoping to make a Mask of Life for halloween) Any idea of when (or if) you'll be bringing them back? :unsure:

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Now this looks very interesting. :) I remember many years ago that I once tried to make a paper mask of my own from scratch. Don't know what happened to it, though.Quite a shame that you're currently not providing any download links. (I had been hoping to make a Mask of Life for halloween) Any idea of when (or if) you'll be bringing them back? :unsure:
I'm not so sure, but what I'm thinking right now, I probably won't be bringing the files back; there's just too many unseen factors and complications that I'm worrying about to keep these files up publicly. Sorry.Now I need to wonder if I need to close this topic or not... Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I'm not so sure, but what I'm thinking right now, I probably won't be bringing the files back; there's just too many unseen factors and complications that I'm worrying about to keep these files up publicly. Sorry.Now I need to wonder if I need to close this topic or not...
:(Why? I and others have had so much fun using your files. While some parts may be complicated, it's still worth it.

Well, I'm fairly glad I saved all the patterns to my computer a while ago. I do think you should leave it up for a while.Anyway, used my mask tonight. Couldn't wear it to school and didn't go trick-or-treating (never too old but had other plans) but I took it to a party. People thought it was pretty cool, especially those who knew what it was. Still haven't got a good way to keep it on though...

• Like 1