Crunchy's Forge [Paper Mask Archive]

Crunchyn

I finally aquired cardstock and printed out the numbered Pakari blueprints. Before I start, I have a question. What do you use specifically to stick the segments together? I can't imagine ordinary glue working on such small tabs. Also, could you give any advice on cutting the segments out? I'm new at this, but I can't wait to start!

banner.png

Good old White glue works, it's what I use. Now if you think the tabs are too small you opt to not follow the cut lines and make the tabs bigger/longer to suit your needs, make your own cut lines! :) Good Scissors work well, I prefer large scissors, they can cut longer and thus requires less squeezing and energy than those small school scissors. You just need good control. I only use an Xacto knife for the really small areas my scissor can't reach.Usually when I'm cutting out the pieces, I don't go zig-zaggy on the tabs. I just cut out the basic shape following the tips and tops of the tabs. Then when I have that, I cut one side of the tab all the way around and then the other side [you get a bunch of triangle confetti when you do this :P]I hope this helps!

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Good old White glue works, it's what I use. Now if you think the tabs are too small you opt to not follow the cut lines and make the tabs bigger/longer to suit your needs, make your own cut lines! :) Good Scissors work well, I prefer large scissors, they can cut longer and thus requires less squeezing and energy than those small school scissors. You just need good control. I only use an Xacto knife for the really small areas my scissor can't reach.Usually when I'm cutting out the pieces, I don't go zig-zaggy on the tabs. I just cut out the basic shape following the tips and tops of the tabs. Then when I have that, I cut one side of the tab all the way around and then the other side [you get a bunch of triangle confetti when you do this :P]I hope this helps!

Yeah, thats what i've been doing for the kaukau I'm making. I'm glad you specified the glue you usually use, because I was actually about to ask a question about that soon XD

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Yeah I just prefer white glue, Other people use super glue and hot glue. Super glue is good if you want it to stick quick buuut you gotta be exact the first time and also be careful to not get it on your fingers. Hot glue is adjustable when you glue the tabs but you get the messy strings/webs and then you gotta be careful to not burn your fingers....which is fine with me :P I once was dumb enough to touch a redhot ceramic cup that I heated with a bunsen burner. Luckily the sweat on my fingers kept it from burning my skin.

Speaking of glue, got some spray adhesive today to start construction on fire sword.I am now officially broke again though. :dollarsign: :notsure: At least I got all the stuff first!... I'm an cool dude. I don't have any cardboard.Hm. One point for the auto-correcter.

The beatings will continue until morale improves

Nowhere But Here, Nowhen But Now

Mask-Maker: Finished Hau

Speaking of glue, got some spray adhesive today to start construction on fire sword.I am now officially broke again though. :dollarsign: :notsure: At least I got all the stuff first!... I'm an cool dude. I don't have any cardboard.Hm. One point for the auto-correcter.

Awww nooooo, your money! You haven't tried Costco or a recycle bin for cardboard? XD

I'm getting some soon, we go to Costco pretty often for all our groceries so I'll get a bunch of free boxes. I'm also going to hoard boxes now, but we just got rid of all our recycling and I didn't think to save any.Just a minor setback. Oh well.Also I forgot to put little "*edits" in the last post. Whoops.

Here's a little peek at the next mask I'm unfolding. Thanks to Warrior of Jupiter for sending me a low-poly version :)Hmm I think I need some advice on how to scale this mask, guys because it seems to me that the eye level compared to the part of the mask that actually covers the face might be lower than that of a human.EDIT:Finished the patterns for the Noble Huna and uploaded them Huzzah![DOWNLOAD LINKS REMOVED]noblehunaunfold.png

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Good to see this topic... (Yes, I'm a little late to the party, but good to see anyway.)If someone's in the mood, I could use a bit of help. I decided to construct the Vahi, but I had trouble connecting the sides to the middle, and the numbers didn't match up, so I was confused... the result looks something like this...7177603447_9a9ffbce9f.jpg7177603337_7c27ff2834.jpgIs that how it's supposed to work? I'm going to try it again with sturdier material, so wanted to know if I had goofed up the construction. I have some time this summer, might work on other masks...maybe. Aside from the Vahi, my particular favorite to do would be a Kadlin. :)

It was confusing for me too when I did this also because I actually deleted the back when I was unfolding this so there was really only one small tab that I glued to connect everything to the middle, I actually used tape on the back to secure it.The construction, it seems fine, looks like you haven't finished gluing all the tabs together or you opted to skip those.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

It was confusing for me too when I did this also because I actually deleted the back when I was unfolding this so there was really only one small tab that I glued to connect everything to the middle, I actually used tape on the back to secure it.The construction, it seems fine, looks like you haven't finished gluing all the tabs together or you opted to skip those.
Which tabs are loose, and how would I glue them together?

I just went to Michael's and asked an employee if they carried plain cardboard. He took me to the back where they had a ton of cardboard waiting for recycling, if I'd been a little later it would've been gone. I just finished cutting out one of my template slices for the sword, will be finished with the smaller two pretty soon, will post pic.

cardboard_fire_sword__v1_by_lacertusmaximus-d539jzg.jpgHm. Picture's a little bigger than I expected. yeah anyway, here's the template slices. A little rough around the edges, but I've fixed that little issue for later construction. I'll have a finished sword soon, probably by the end of the week, then I think I'll put up its own topic and stop taking up space on yours, sorry bout that.Final sword will have 2 of each layer and will be smoother, sanded, podged, and spraypainted. Yup.

Looking great, yep I can tell that that needs sanding. Are you gonna keep that handle? I don't see how that would be comfortable... unless you have Bionicle hands XD

Yeah, my thought on the handle is I'll make it like that, but do something to make the shape better, maybe wrap something, I don't know...Hau is finished! Going to need quite a bit of work with podge and whatnot, but I didn't screw anything up and it is awesome! Will upload pics of the final mask.

Oh so that was you! :P my mind was boggled for a moment there. Yep I'm working on my own little thing. Corrugated Plastic Board is so hard to cut though!

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I'd love to know how you guys do all of this. Quite epic. And I like the Kualsi especially. ;)

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Thanks a ton, but I have zero experience and honestly I'm amazed I manage not to screw anything up...Crunchy does costuming, the things he does I couldn't ever do. He has a lot more experience which is why his stuff is much better, he's the one to praise.Also yes, I do listen to real music. I'm also among the 56 percent of people who compulsively make up statistics. :PAnd yeah, let me know how the whole corrugated plastic thing goes, I'm looking for something different for swords. Also, still podging the Hau. Lots of podge. All the little seams are annoying and refuse to smooth out. It needs work.

I'm not as good as other people though but that's because I'm experimenting a lot with a lot of different types of materials because I don't want to go the toxic route.For seams, Podge will take a lot of coats to cover but it won't be noticeable from afar. Maybe ripped strips of paper towels or something thinner that you can apply on the seams would help, but they have to be ripped the edges of the strips won't be that sharp that you're just adding more seams.Oh, do you have any plans on filling the gaps and holes on the cardboard? I was gonna use hot glue and wood filler as I researched but seems like I need a LOT of hot glue for that and I'm using a plastic type of cardboard. I'll post later to tell you guys how it goes.img_0038.jpg

WOW. That's way more impressive than my raggedy cardboard sword. Great job!No, I was wondering about the holes myself... I was thinking hot glue or podge, but I would need a different kind of podge or a lot of glue. Wood filler's a good bet, if a bit more expensive.

Yeah, People said Hot glue, i'm worried about how to keep it smooth over a large area, even my hot glue skillet isn't that big. I might need some thin cardboard to cover that up. I still don't know if I want to paint it, I'm kinda partial to white.

Hm... just began casting and noticed something that may be a problem- The resin forms through heat, and the heat may be affecting the podge. There's a few tiny gaps in the mask that are filled only with podge and if the resin were to melt the podge it could be a problem... hope not.

Should be fine. Googled and people recommended that you use moderator Podge or White glue to coat your paper or porous material before doing with the resin.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

I'm not as good as other people though but that's because I'm experimenting a lot with a lot of different types of materials because I don't want to go the toxic route.For seams, Podge will take a lot of coats to cover but it won't be noticeable from afar. Maybe ripped strips of paper towels or something thinner that you can apply on the seams would help, but they have to be ripped the edges of the strips won't be that sharp that you're just adding more seams.Oh, do you have any plans on filling the gaps and holes on the cardboard? I was gonna use hot glue and wood filler as I researched but seems like I need a LOT of hot glue for that and I'm using a plastic type of cardboard. I'll post later to tell you guys how it goes.img_0038.jpg
This is so Karzing awesome my jaw dropped, irl, literally. Mind posting the download link?

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Depends. I think I gotta learn how to split the model in half first because I just realized when I printed the pages out that I only really needed half of them and use the same templates to build the other side.

Eh. Too late on an inner coat of podge- it didn't seem to make a difference though. It's going really well, the only thing is that due to the shape of the mask and placement of the holes, I have to do it in small areas so it could take a while. Also, My fingertips are pretty much covered in plastic. :P