The Official Minecraft Topic

Ah. Guessing this isn't in Creative mode, then. Considering that it's wider than it is tall, I would classify it less as a tower and more as a super-bunker, but still pretty cool.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

:kaukau: I like the idea of minecraft, both the creative modes and survivor modes, although I've been told that I'd have to pay to simply play. Personally, I just want to create a castle that's around 3000x9000x45000 or something like that, though the exact idea is currently a bit fluid and it's not as if the place is a perfect box. The general idea is that I want a castle that's almost a world all by itself. It's based off of the "Master Manor" within the canon of my IDES series, and I want to be able to create something tangible so it's easier to imagine that part of the setting.Only problem is, I don't know how to start playing Minecraft and in the meantime to my understanding I can't just start spontaneously building but have to take the time to "mine" the materials.Perhaps there's something better for the project that I have in mind. There probably is. But anyway, that's what interests me about Minecraft.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Have a fun several years building that.I mean, my 250x250x50 castle will likely take weeks with my friends helping.

- :burnmad:

Edit: Plus the map is only 128 blocks from bedrock to top, I think.

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

Only problem is, I don't know how to start playing Minecraft and in the meantime to my understanding I can't just start spontaneously building but have to take the time to "mine" the materials.

There is Creative Mode which gives you unlimited resources if you just want to build stuff. Edited by BenLuke-116

The current maximum build-height is 126 - they're upping it to 258 soon, but that isn't quite 45000. Each block is roughly equivalent to 1 meter.In Survival mode, yes, you have to mine in order to get the minerals you need. In Creative mode you start off with everything you need.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ah. Guessing this isn't in Creative mode, then. Considering that it's wider than it is tall, I would classify it less as a tower and more as a super-bunker, but still pretty cool.

I guess, yeah. Still, it's bigger than I was originally planning. Hence why I think this project will be keeping me busy for a long, long time.-ibrow

So I was mining about in my save today, and fell into a ravine. After lighting up the entire thing and mining it dry, I continued mining in my staircase shaft, and found a huge cave with a massive sinkhole, which I am about to jump into.

I figure I may as well do PBZPs now. But, I have a terrible work ethic,so they may take a while.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

blue=taken, red=in progress

Very nice, let us know how that sinkhole turns out.I, meanwhile, have built a 14x16x41 pillar in Flatland, and, as soon as the sun comes up, will tear down the neighboring village to build my fort atop said pillar. For stylistic reasons, it will be partly built with all the obsidian I've collected. Once this is complete, the obvious next step is a hanging forest to make good use of all those saplings I collected while wandering like a somewhat more mean-spirited Viking from village to village, trying (for the first few hours, at least) to find where I had died and lost freaking everything.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

The sinkhole seems promising. I have found at least two channels in this hole that goes from y 42 to y 16. Found plenty of LL and redstone as well as a lava pond. Will continue to explore.

I figure I may as well do PBZPs now. But, I have a terrible work ethic,so they may take a while.

Redstone, excellent. My current survival world isn't so much low on the stuff as completely lacking it, for obvious reasons.Nonetheless, I have managed to create a perfectly safe place for myself to spend my nights - the next obvious step is to sprinkle slabs over the bedrock surrounding it to discourage mob-spawning, put a fence around the strip-mined area (as it isn't a mob-trap like the last moat, but rather the only safe way for me to reach my new home), and finish building my little fort.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Ok then, I tried flatworld on peaceful to find a village.Found it in 3 miniutes, and it was a double village. I took over the largest house, kicked out the testificate couple living there (Accidently killing one in the process), and raided the blacksmith shops.Got 1 iron helmet, 1 pair of iron boots, 1 iron sword, 10 bread, 5 apples, and 7 saplings.Made a small moat protecting my house and the farms, and covered any entry ways for slimes in dirt.Switched to easy, slime rave party outside my window. Laughed at it for a bit, and then slept the night off so no creepers would blow up anything.This'll be a great start for this flatland map. Hopefully there will be villages nearby with diamond or iron ingots in them... I need an iron door for 1.2, if I ever switch the map mode to hard.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Sounds like a good plan. When you do go raiding other villages, I advise you to leave highly visible landmarks in your path, and make sure you keep track of your x and z coordinates, in case you die and need to find the site again.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Now I'm ticked off. After mining redstone and having it fall into the lava pond below(Not with me, of course) I, for some reason, stood watching long enough for me to turn around, see a zombie, and get pushed into the hole.Yay for INVedit.

Yeesh, that's kind of unfortunate. Was there any way to put some kind of platform beneath the redstone you were mining to keep it from falling in?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

It was at the corner of a wall, so I don't think so... ah well. I'll go down and seal it up, perhaps mark it to explore later.

Sounds inconvenient at best. Perhaps the application of a bucket of water to the lava pool would help?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

And exactly how many people and guides have you seen, excluding yourself, who agree that the bucket thing is rule number 1? XP

Edit: Not necessarily, regarding the saving yourself. I've never spilled my water bucket under lava, but I can't imagine it does much. And even if you're on top of the lava, what if you accidentally empty it too far away, you might die before it gets to you?

Edited by Burnmad: Toa of Emoticons

Even in Flatland, I carry a water bucket with me when I can, simply because it's so good at confounding the slimes that plague the place.Well, actually, no. I carry two water buckets. I get paranoid about losing my water, so I make sure I've got a spare.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, you don't need it to survive if you follow the first two rules, but you need it to advance, by which I mean extensive obsidian mining.But yeah, one time I was building my mineshaft, never digging a single block straight down and ran out of ladders, so I started a spiral staircase sorta thing. Eventually, I just decided I would just dig a block straight down. Or maybe I accidentally did it, I can't remember. But anyways, first block I mine, BOOM. Fell into a cavern, got mauled by zombies.

Rule 4 would be to make sure your bed has enough space around it for respawning.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

That... is probably a glitch. I've dropped myself in the void about fifty times, never lost anything (except all the maps I was carrying with me).

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Huh. Very strange.Usually when I'm working at the bedrock layer, I keep one finger on the space bar so that if I do fall into the void, I can fly back out with no harm done.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I just want to clarify there was about .5 seconds between me digging a hole NEXT TO ME that had lava and getting pushed in by a zombie. So there was no opportunity.

I just found a list I made back in I think June of last year. This is meant for when you're journeying on at least normal difficulty in a standard Minecraft world, though it is out of date and also put together based on my inexperience of the time. Feel free to pick it apart. :PThe Top Ten: Items to Take on a Minecraft Trip

• [*]Pickaxe
    • [*]Stone Pickaxe x4 or Iron Pickaxe x2 (Diamond, Gold, and Wood not advisable)[*]Pickaxes are a fundamental part of Minecraft as is; on a Trip, eventually you’re going to need more stone, coal, and iron to make yourself new tools and torches (among other things). Diamond pickaxes are inadvisable due to value.

[*]Crafting Table

• [*]Crafting Table x3 (12 Wooden Planks)[*]Like pickaxes, Crafting Tables are fundamental in Minecraft. You’ll need them to replace your tools, as well as to build any furnaces or chests (should you find yourself needing them). Bring extras so that you can leave some where you use them (usually inside a shelter).

[*]Torches

• [*]64 Stack x2 (32 Coal/Charcoal, 32 Sticks)[*]You’ll need to light your way during the darkness, as well as for any shelters you might build along the way. And who knows, you might even find a cave or two to explore.

[*]Dirt

• [*]64 Stack x3[*]Dirt is extremely useful; it’s easily destroyed, and thus good for both emergency bases, pillars, routes up (or down) and walls in caves.

[*]Cooked Meat

• [*]5 Pieces[*]It can be cooked fish, pork chops, chicken, or steak; you simply need food to replenish your health and your hunger.

[*]A Sword

• [*]Stone Sword x2 or Iron Sword x1 (Diamond, Gold, and Wood not advisable)[*]You need a weapon if you’re going on a Minecraft Trip (shame on you, peaceful); two stone swords or one iron sword should last you the way. Diamond swords are inadvisable due to value.

[*]Beds

• [*]Bed x3 (9 Wool, 9 Wooden Planks)[*]Yes, beds in the plural. This way any emergency shelters you might make don’t necessarily have to be completely torn down immediately, and can thus serve as markers on your way home.

[*]Shovel

• [*]Stone Shovel x6 (Diamond, Gold, Iron, and Wood not advisable)[*]Shovels will help you remove dirt, sand, and gravel out of your way faster if you’re in a cave; if there’s a lot, this is extremely helpful. Diamond and Iron shovels aren’t advised due to value and the relatively short life span of shovels (which is why you take 6).

[*]Bow & Arrows

• [*]Bow x2, 64 Stack x3 (Arrows; 48 Flint, 48 Sticks, 48 Feathers)[*]Swords are good for close ranged, skilful combat; however, the Bow is a far safer option, as it can be rapidly fired and has long range. Bring two in case one is lost; flint, sticks, and feathers can be found in abundance to replenish arrow supplies.

[*]Ladders

• [*]64 Stack x3 (A lot of Sticks)[*]If you’re going to be travelling up or down great heights during your journey, or travelling directly down into caves, ladders are irreplaceable; however, they run out faster than you think, so be prepared!

-ibrow

Diamond tools are actually extremely useful in some situations - for example, if you want to mine Obsidian, you absolutely need a Diamond Pickaxe.It should be noted, incidentally, that if you're going on a trip in Superflat, all you really need is a supply of food, a bed, and maybe a crafting table (though those can be found in villages quite easily). All the rest (and even some food) can be stolen from blacksmiths' houses, or simply raided from the village by other means. A bucket of water is, of course, advisable, but can be crafted after just one successful village raid.I'm kind of hoping, honestly, that villagers will start fighting back if you attack them in 1.2. It would make my little Viking-style raids much more interesting.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Cities of iron (they really should make an iron block that's actually for building, not storing iron ingots) and some of the harder stones would be cool, yeah. What I'd really like to see is naturally-generated redstone-based traps, though.EDIT: Err, forgot I wasn't posting in an RPG. Sleep is your friend.

Edited by The Shadows Out of Time

We will remember

We all shall follow doom