• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Last Book You Read

Literature Prose

• Please log in to reply
490 replies to this topic

#481 Offline Millennium

Millennium
  • Members
  • Mata Nuian Protector Nuva

• 27-August 08
  • 1,778 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 10 2016 - 07:49 AM

In the last month, I've read the following:

• Siddhartha and Narcissus and Goldmund by Hermann Hesse. Real masterpieces. The prolix, semi-poetic and redundant syle may seem a little annoying at first, but they are flowing, inspiring novels.
  • An essay on taoism (after reading Siddhartha and before Narcissus and Goldmund. It was key in understanding eastern philosophies' influence on Hesse and his 'obsession' for dualism/duality).
  • Buddhism and theosophy and Christendom, Moral re-armament and Islam, collections of Gandhi's writings, interviews, speeches. I'd never thought that Tolstoj and Gandhi wrote letters to each other.

​I'm currently reading Manfredi's Empire of dragons for the third time.

Edited by Electric Wizard, Jul 10 2016 - 07:54 AM.

electric_wizard_by_deepcreep-d9z1nsl.png

#482 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 15-October 15
  • 323 posts

Posted Jul 14 2016 - 10:08 PM

Escape Velocity by Charles Portis. A good miscellany of his work (including what is perhaps the only interview with him) and has some great essays on his novels by others.  

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

#483 Offline Iaredios the Hip Historian

Iaredios the Hip Historian
  • Members
  • Nuva Team Assembled

• 10-April 07
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 15 2016 - 12:32 AM

In the middle of The Winter King. Liking this book so far. It has a slow build up, but its a great book. I love how Derfel, the main character, is a faithful Christian when he writes of his past, and despite that he hates the character Saint Sangmus but due to his authority Derfel has to BS his way around it and overly adores him in titles and flatterings that demonstrate just how much he hates him. Excellent writing in this.

This book has a lot of details, the depth of such in the Brythonic language amazing me, so I went to go look for a mod for Crusader Kings II based on the book, and I found that one exists! It is not only for the book series, but for the fickle time period that is Late Antiquity and Early Medieval (end of the Third Century Crisis of the Roman Empire, to the Rise of the Komnenoi and the First Catholic Crusade), a period that should seriously have its own name, and is set in Western Europe (not sure if it goes into Hispanisa or not). Unfortunately, the description of that bookmark, called 'The Winter King', looks to have stuff set from the second book, Enemy of God, as somethings don't line up, like Lancelot being a major character and the infant king Mordred now being a late child, so I have been spoiled of things that will probably happen at the end of the book I am reading. I am still going to finish it, however! The things make sense, considering where I am in the book, now i just have to read up how exactly Arthur gets there, along with the rest of the world.

Edited by Iaredios the Hip Historian, Jul 15 2016 - 12:34 AM.

cuman_rider_be_ridin_transparent.jpg

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project (HEAD DEVELOPER) | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | 
Rhythm is the key as we open up the door... Some musical rhythms can mess with djo head.

#484 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 15-October 15
  • 323 posts

Posted Jul 16 2016 - 08:55 PM

In the middle of The Winter King. Liking this book so far. It has a slow build up, but its a great book. I love how Derfel, the main character, is a faithful Christian when he writes of his past, and despite that he hates the character Saint Sangmus but due to his authority Derfel has to BS his way around it and overly adores him in titles and flatterings that demonstrate just how much he hates him. Excellent writing in this.

Good to know you're enjoying it, Iaredios!

Just finished The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. A great Western, one of those rare cowboy noir books that pop up from time to time. Started Herman Wouk's Winds of War - the two part epic novel series that encapsulates the whole WWII experience. Loving it so far.

Edited by Erasmus Graves, Jul 17 2016 - 06:20 AM.

#485 Offline FrozenPancake_

FrozenPancake_
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 04-February 16
  • 258 posts

Posted Jul 16 2016 - 10:31 PM

Today I finished The Burning Bridge, the second novel in the Ranger's Apprentice series. It's a very good series, and I recommend it to anyone who likes medieval fantasy stories.

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic='gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg'][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

#486 Offline (Daedalus)

(Daedalus)
  • Members
  • Makuta Conquered!

• 06-August 08
  • 561 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 19 2016 - 04:25 PM

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. My brother purchased this a while back to see what all the fuss was about and he greatly enjoyed it. Seeing as it has been a while since I have read a book, I decided to heed his recommendation and read it. It's been good so far, and for the most part, the author does a great job of blending the biographical style with a more traditional novel style. I say "most part" because the introduction goes to significant lengths to inform the reader that the book is essentially a biography of Abraham Lincoln the vampire hunter and frequently reinforces this with entries from his vampire hunting journals, yet he occasionally switches to a more novel-like narration--it's a little difficult to explain what I mean. It's not jarring (as I said, he does a good job of it), but I've found myself wishing he would have stuck to one or the other. That said, I don't think he would be able to tell the story well enough if he did, and the unique approach is refreshing. I certainly look forward to reading further.

My epic: For Them (Review Topic)

BZPRPG: Trauer and Faora

Bionifight Ultimate: Daedalus Drachoren and Von Worten Undtränen

The Elder Scrolls: Ashfall: K'Larn

#487 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 15-October 15
  • 323 posts

Posted Jul 19 2016 - 09:42 PM

Currently reading Neuromancer by William Gibson - the original cyberpunk and still amazing thirty-two years on. Also reading Deadwood by Pete Dexter and Dog Soldiers by Robert Stone.

#488 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 22-October 11
  • 1,471 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 20 2016 - 09:17 AM

Haven't read as much recently, but I finished The Dunwich Horror and am still working on So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

#489 Offline Erasmus Graves

Erasmus Graves
  • Members
  • Armored Protector

• 15-October 15
  • 323 posts

Posted Jul 24 2016 - 05:21 AM

Finished Deadwood. Working on the Winds of War and the rest of 'em.

#490 Offline Jaek_3

Jaek_3
  • Members
  • Soaring Champion

• 12-January 14
  • 487 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 24 2016 - 12:24 PM

I finished a clockwork orange. Now, I'm reading Shogun

nno1sj.jpg

#491 Offline Kopekemaster

Kopekemaster
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 22-October 11
  • 1,471 posts
  •  

Posted Jul 24 2016 - 08:11 PM

I finished a clockwork orange.

Have you seen the movie yet? I'm not usually a fan of watching movies based on books, but I highly recommend doing so for that book. I think the movie adds a bit of "reality" that the book alone couldn't provide as well, and you get a voice attached to Alex's narration - a very fitting voice.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users