Rock / Alternative Rock

This topic is for discussion of rock / alternative rock bands (because alternative rock is too vague a genre to merit its own topic in my opinion). For the record, other genres like progressive rock, pop rock, punk rock, etc. aren't meant to be discussed here; indie rock and hard rock bands are pretty close to rock / alternative rock, though, so you might as well discuss some of them here, too.The main bands within the genres I listen to at the moment are Coldplay, Muse, U2, Switchfoot, OneRepublic, Counting Crows, Linkin Park, The All-American Rejects, and 30 Seconds to Mars (they're kind of rock / alternative rock).I find Radiohead a little overrated -- I think their album OK Computer was good but not great -- but I'll nevertheless try listening to their album Kid A, seeing as I seem to be into well-placed synths and sound effects at the moment. Linkin Park's albums Minutes to Midnight and A Thousand Suns are underrated in my opinion (but I dislike the profanity they've adopted).No hating or flaming, please. Discuss away.

Edited by Legolover-361

This is really vaguely defined, so I'm not sure if this is the right place for me to say that I think Billy Squier is pretty cool.I'm sort of fond of AC/DC (count them as hard rock), but they have a bit of a habit of making songs that are all very similar to each other.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Yeah, I've never really been fond of Radiohead. Part of it, I think, is the singer's somewhat-whiny voice, but I think another big part of it is everything else about Radiohead. I've heard Radiohead fans say Coldplay is just Radiohead without personality or something like that, which might explain why I also never really liked Coldplay very much.That being said, Foo Fighters. There's only one band Dave Grohl's been in that I disliked, and Kurt Cobain was in it, so that's not Dave's fault.

Edited by Beardy Spoon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Lol, Radiohead fans also say Muse is a pretentious, overblown, wannabe Radiohead. I happen to disagree with them greatly. :PThe main reason I'm not a Radiohead fan, I think, isn't Thom Yorke's voice -- it's not half-bad -- but their very abstract lyrical content. I can never tell what they're singing about. It's odd.Also, the Foo Fighters seem reasonably good. I've heard the acoustic version of "Times Like These" a few times more than necessary, but songs like "The Pretender", "Rope", and especially "Walk" are awesome.

I dunno, Thom Yorke's voice always skirted into Lou Reed levels of annoyance for me.Plus, when I listen to them, I just don't hear anything amazing or revolutionary. If I want amazing, I'm probably not going to be listening to alternative rock.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

and muse is totally radiohead-lite and far, far worse.

I have honestly never understood the comparisons between Muse and Radiohead. Their singers may sound similar, but Radiohead is very laid-back, asbtract, and experimental, whereas Muse is grandiose, to-the-point, and creative within their genre.Muse's only Radiohead-esque albums are Showbiz and kind of Black Holes and Revelations, in my opinion; Origin of Symmetry pretty much destroys the comparisons, and the rest of Muse's albums, while not quite as different as Origin of Symmetry, take on more of a symphonic / progressive air that Radiohead never really experimented with.That said, I can see why people would like Radiohead: They are a very experimental band that tries weird things with their music (see: Kid A, King of Limbs) yet, somehow, still sounds good. They're just too mellow, too laid-back for me to be a big fan.

Radiohead is one of the best bands out there what are you guys talking aboutand muse is totally radiohead-lite and far, far worse.as far as other groups go, i love Weezer and Phoenix, plus old school emo like Sunny Day Real Estate and Cap'n Jazz

You sound like someone who loves American Football.Please, please, please don't prove me wrong.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

...quality answer.

Yeah, I've never really been fond of Radiohead. Part of it, I think, is the singer's somewhat-whiny voice, but I think another big part of it is everything else about Radiohead. I've heard Radiohead fans say Coldplay is just Radiohead without personality or something like that, which might explain why I also never really liked Coldplay very much.That being said, Foo Fighters. There's only one band Dave Grohl's been in that I disliked, and Kurt Cobain was in it, so that's not Dave's fault.

Kurt had his moments of genius.-Teezy Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

I suppose, but he also had a lot of moments of writing whiny songs and singing with marbles in his mouth.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I suppose, but he also had a lot of moments of writing whiny songs and singing with marbles in his mouth.

Yeah, well, that's undeniable. Drug abuse and Courtney Love will do that to you.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

of course i doyou'd have to be the lamest person to know them and also not like them

I keep meaning to listen but I haven't had time and I HAVE HEARD SO MANY GOOD THINGS ABOUT THEMAlso Radiohead are my favorite band of all time, just saying.
Their full-length is great. Listen to it soon.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

A question to pose to you all: The Fray has been derided by critics for being generic, boring, and trying too hard to be Coldplay. I, however, think they're a very good band and more like Five for Fighting (who has created some awesome songs) than Coldplay. Am I alone in liking them?EDIT: I might as well ask about OneRepublic, too. They're criticized for being generic pop rock and alternative rock, as well as being U2 / Coldplay wannabes, but again, I think they make a lot of good music. I do think "Good Life" has been over-played on the radio, though. :P

Edited by Legolover-361

Wait a minute.Hasn't Coldplay been criticized for trying too hard to be Radiohead?So, according to somebody, somewhere, The Fray is riding on the coattails of something riding on the coattails of Radiohead?If we keep this up, we can get an infinite loop of alleged coattail jockeys.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

there is something wrong with making terrible music though :P

Well, yeah, that makes sense--Oh wait I see what you did there.

Consider the Thief, for example, released one of the best albums of 2009, and it was criticized for being a ripoff of Thrice's Water EP.-Teezy

Signs and Wonders was indeed a good album. I've heard nothing from Thrice, though, so I can't form any opinion as to whether Signs and Wonders was a ripoff or not.I tried listening to Consider the Thief's EP Saints and Soldiers, but there was too much yelling for me to become very interested.

there is something wrong with making terrible music though :P

Well, yeah, that makes sense--Oh wait I see what you did there.

Consider the Thief, for example, released one of the best albums of 2009, and it was criticized for being a ripoff of Thrice's Water EP.-Teezy

Signs and Wonders was indeed a good album. I've heard nothing from Thrice, though, so I can't form any opinion as to whether Signs and Wonders was a ripoff or not.I tried listening to Consider the Thief's EP Saints and Soldiers, but there was too much yelling for me to become very interested.
Yeahhhhh, if you liked Signs and Wonders, Saints and Soldiers probably won't be your forte. Such a huge leap.Love those guys, though. Sean O'Sullivan (one of their guitarists) and I have had a couple conversations, and the dude's such a sweet and genuine person.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Would Porcupine Tree fit into this topic?Fear of a Blank Planet is amazing. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Les Friction, while mainly symphonic rock, has a few songs that could be counted as rock / alternative rock ("Louder than Words", "What You Need", "Here Comes the Reign", and "World of Fire"). After one of the founding brothers of E.S. Posthumus died, the other teamed with another composer, a singer, a guitarist, and various other people to create the debut album, which was just released this year. They don't have an official line-up for live performances yet, but I read somewhere online that they're working on that.The album Les Friction is definitely one of my favorite albums. Even better, if you buy it digitally (which I have yet to do :(), you can get instrumental versions of all nine tracks alongside the normal songs. I highly suggest looking up the album, especially the songs "Louder than Words", "Torture", and "Sunday" to get an idea of their diversity.My current (and probably incomplete) rock / alternative rock album wishlist:

• [*]Scars & Stories by The Fray[*]Dreaming Out Loud by OneRepublic[*]Daughtry, Leave This Town, and Break the Spell by Daughtry[*]Les Friction by Les Friction[*]Showbiz, Origin of Symmetry, Absolution, and Black Holes and Revelations by Muse[*]X&Y by Coldplay[*]New Way to Be Human, Learning to Breathe, The Beautiful Letdown, Oh! Gravity, and Hello Hurricane by Switchfoot[*]Minutes to Midnight (clean verison) and A Thousand Suns (clean version) by Linkin Park[*]A Beautiful Lie and This Is War by 30 Seconds to Mars

Edited by Legolover-361

Dude, I've been listening to Rush for years. :P They happen to be my all-time favorite band.By the way, guys, Pinn Panelle are what some people might call alternative, but only for lack of a better term. Their bassist has described them as "epic rocksteptronicametal", and I think this fits them rather well. XP Their music blends hard, orchestral rock and, believe it or not, dubstep. They discovered a while ago how to make dubstep music with rock instruments, and they've been incorporating it into their music since. Even if you don't like dubstep, I definitely recommend checking these guys out. They have one album out that has no dubstep elements, and they're working on a new one now. They also did an amazing cover of "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" by Skrillex.