Rock / Alternative Rock

Avenged Sevenfold is so good that it's scary.

dude that belongs in the metal topic, they're not alt rock in the slightest

Minutes to Midnight (clean verison) and A Thousand Suns (clean version) by Linkin Park

whywhy would you listen to a neutered version of an album Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

Avenged Sevenfold is so good that it's scary.

dude that belongs in the metal topic, they're not alt rock in the slightest

Minutes to Midnight (clean verison) and A Thousand Suns (clean version) by Linkin Park

whywhy would you listen to a neutered version of an album
Holy mother of lolAlso, would As Cities Burn go here? Can't see them going in the metal thread...-Teezy Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

whywhy would you listen to a neutered version of an album
Because the cursing is annoying, and because I have younger brothers to worry about.
Thing is, when Linkin Park stopped cursing (and when Shinoda stopped rapping), they lost what semblance of likability they had to me.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

despite the fact that I use profanity myself, I bought censored CDs for a long time just because they were cheaperthen I realized that the reason they were cheaper is because I was essentially buying a butchered, defective product that shouldn't even have to be madenow I stick with the actual albums the way they were meant to be heard, and the way I prefer them.

Thing is, when Linkin Park stopped cursing (and when Shinoda stopped rapping), they lost what semblance of likability they had to me.-Teezy

...Linkin Park didn't curse in the first place. And Mike Shinoda hasn't stopped rapping, he's just stopped rapping in tandem with Chester Bennington's singing (which I do miss, too, but the "new" Linkin Park is good in its own way).

despite the fact that I use profanity myself, I bought censored CDs for a long time just because they were cheaperthen I realized that the reason they were cheaper is because I was essentially buying a butchered, defective product that shouldn't even have to be madenow I stick with the actual albums the way they were meant to be heard, and the way I prefer them.

"Butchered"? Is the audio editing bad, or do you just think the blank spaces of audio don't sound good?

that's like sticking big black bars over a great painting simply because it shows nipplesif you want to obscure art be my guestalso you can use headphones dude

1. I can't understand why paintings of naked people would be made anyway. I very nearly despise the art museum because of its massive amounts of such artwork. :P2. I still don't like the cursing. If I have to deal with it, fine; there are some words I honestly don't care about, anyway. Sometimes, though, the cursing feels completely unnecessary, and in the case of Linkin Park's latter albums, not only does the profanity add nothing, it makes the songs sound much shallower.

It's more like buying a movie with the disturbing gory scenes censored out. Some people don't want to watch the gory scenes in the first place, and regardless of whether it was meant to be experienced a certain way, some people won't want to experience it that way.I am very anti-profanity, so no one should expect to get anywhere with this debate. :P

Edited by Legolover-361

"Butchered"? Is the audio editing bad, or do you just think the blank spaces of audio don't sound good?

in what context would removing a piece of a lyric ever sound good?

1. I can't understand why paintings of naked people would be made anyway. I very nearly despise the art museum because of its massive amounts of such artwork. :P

because it's admiration of the human form. naked =/= bad, despite what you might have learned

2. I still don't like the cursing. If I have to deal with it, fine; there are some words I honestly don't care about, anyway. Sometimes, though, the cursing feels completely unnecessary, and in the case of Linkin Park's latter albums, not only does the profanity add nothing, it makes the songs sound much shallower.

they're words. getting your panties in a bunch over a word is silly. swear words are like any other word in the english language. profanity can have an immense effect. thanks to the negative stigma these words have, they can give off much more power in lyrics. using them over and over just shows that you have a limited vocabulary, just like calling something good instead of using the various synonyms for the word. Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg

in what context would removing a piece of a lyric ever sound good?

When the lyrical section in question makes the song sound worse.

because it's admiration of the human form. naked =/= bad, despite what you might have learned

The human body is meant to be private in today's society. Having it displayed in art for appearance factor... I just don't like it, myself. At least in biology textbooks, there's a reason for the graphics: education. :P

they're words. getting your panties in a bunch over a word is silly. swear words are like any other word in the english language. profanity can have an immense effect. thanks to the negative stigma these words have, they can give off much more power in lyrics. using them over and over just shows that you have a limited vocabulary, just like calling something good instead of using the various synonyms for the word.

Hoo boy.These words are just like any other word, except that they were created to serve a certain purpose: to insult and demean. Their effects may seem to have been nullified other the years, but that only means people are finding insults commonplace. They aren't particularly effective when you consider that there are numerous other, more creative methods of description than using profanities.The words' stigma does nothing for me; I've heard way too much cursing in real life to find cursing in song lyrics creative in any way, sorry. In addition, when a singer curses, he sounds one of three things: fake, going for shock value, or just plain impolite.

blah, i want to continue this discussion but it's crazy off topic. PM or something if you want to keep going, let's stop derailing (and yes i realize that this was entirely my fault)did any of you guys ever end up checking out Sunny Day Real Estate

I tried to get him to listen to Diary but he hasn't seen the light yet.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Silversun Pickups? Are they any good? (And are they clean? :P)

I am only familiar with their song Panic Switch, which rocks.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Silversun Pickups? Are they any good? (And are they clean? :P)

they're more than good, they're amazing. I have their full discography (besides the not-yet-released one, obviously) and I can't recall any uses of profanity, although they do say "oh my god" in the song "There's No Secrets This Year". a couple of their songs also have themes that I guess could be described as "suggestive" or whatever ("Catch & Release" comes to mind) but for the most part their lyrics are too vague and metaphorical to take any one single meaning out of them.so yeah, the majority of their stuff is "clean".also Val, if you like "Panic Switch" check out the rest of their discography, they have a lot of stuff even better than that song. Edited by Eucliwood

also Val, if you like "Panic Switch" check out the rest of their discography, they have a lot of stuff even better than that song.

Been meaning to check out more of their tunes, so I'll definitely do that. :P

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

I have their full discography (besides the not-yet-released one, obviously) and I can't recall any uses of profanity, although they do say "oh my god" in the song "There's No Secrets This Year".

Lol, that's barely a profanity.I'll definitely check out their discography when I have spare time. What sort of music do they make? Edited by Legolover-361

yeah I know, but some people get offended by it for whatever reason and I had no idea whether or not you were one of those people so I thought I might as well mention it just in case.they're a little hard to explain, but they're like.. dreamy indie rock with fuzzy guitars and a sound that bounces around from moody to upbeat to loud and noisy.

Edited by Eucliwood

Yo stop with the talk about editing out cursing and whether it obscures "art" or not. If someone doesn't enjoy the cursing in songs, and I'm talking with cursing in any way depending on your preference, then that person doesn't enjoy it. It's not art to the listener and he or she doesn't want to be associated with the sometimes lack of respect you get for heavy cursing or just cursing in general. Setting that kind of standard is rare and at least that person has a standard.Besides that, anyone heard of The National? Just got into them myself and their stuff is incredibly ... I don't know how to describe them. They have a down and epic type of music with amazing lyrics. Totally Alternative and love em so far. :3

I purchased The Fray's album Scars & Stories yesterday. It's not as good an album as The Fray, but it is a good listen. If you like emotional alternative rock with glimpses of piano rock and pop rock, you might like Scars & Stories.

Besides that, anyone heard of The National? Just got into them myself and their stuff is incredibly ... I don't know how to describe them. They have a down and epic type of music with amazing lyrics. Totally Alternative and love em so far. :3

The National made the song "Exile Vilify" for Portal 2. It's a great song. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngOther than that song, though, I haven't heard much of their music except for snippets. They seem to have a mellow alternative rock music style, kind of like early Coldplay, except their music is more... thoughtful, I guess.What songs / albums would you recommend? Edited by Legolover-361

lol @ people bringing back up the swearing discussion after i totally ended it. good job you guys! also lol @ implying i have no standard because i'm okay with "naughty" words. keep on thinking that, bro.so for a great band you all need to check out, go listen to mid-era Cave In (Jupiter, Tides Of Tomorrow, and Antenna). for a band that's changed their sound on almost all of their albums, they are consistently great. think spacey alt rock. Antenna is reminiscent of the foo fighters on some tracks, start there and go listen to the others i mentioned from there. the early and later stuff by them is metalcore/post hardcore which i wouldn't recommend to you guys (not because it sucks, it just has screaming and is generally a lot heavier. they're great albums if you're also into that stuff)

nhsYE.jpg

Yo stop with the talk about editing out cursing and whether it obscures "art" or not. If someone doesn't enjoy the cursing in songs, and I'm talking with cursing in any way depending on your preference, then that person doesn't enjoy it. It's not art to the listener and he or she doesn't want to be associated with the sometimes lack of respect you get for heavy cursing or just cursing in general. Setting that kind of standard is rare and at least that person has a standard.Besides that, anyone heard of The National? Just got into them myself and their stuff is incredibly ... I don't know how to describe them. They have a down and epic type of music with amazing lyrics. Totally Alternative and love em so far. :3

I see what you tried to do there.Anyway, checking those out now. As soon as I can turn off The Devil and God...-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Idunnolol, I wasn't talking about anyone personally (or not about the fine folks here) on standards and especially not singling you out. Just saying don't ridicule the kid because he has a different preference than yours or others.And LL I've tried out the Deluxe Version of High Violet. It's just deeeeep. Some killer songs on there are Bloodbuzz Ohio, Little Faith and Afraid of Everyone. I don't have their Boxer Album, but Fake Empire is a killer song. Exile Vilify got me started on them, yes. :BAlso, the Black Keys are technically considered Alternative right? They are kinda rockish though, but they are labeled as Garage Rock. So anyway if they qualify, <3 them. AND Cage the Elephant's Thank You, Happy Birthday is AMAZING. Shake Me Down, Flow, Right Before My Eyes. Those are wonderful songs.EDIT: Also by the National, Wake Up Your Saints. That song is just so awesome.

Edited by The Great Grant in the Sky

If Cage the Elephant and Black Keys count, then add them to my list of things in this genre that I enjoy.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Idunnolol, I wasn't talking about anyone personally (or not about the fine folks here) on standards and especially not singling you out. Just saying don't ridicule the kid because he has a different preference than yours or others..

i'm not trying to ridicule the dude, i was just trying to explain my point that getting offended by the words in the first place is silly to get bothered over in the first place (in my opinion, of course)also alright, the way you worded it (mostly the italics) just made it seem condescending so sorry if you didn't mean to be offensiveso Indian Summer you guys? underrated as heck emo band, one of the best. one of the most emotional bands i've ever listened to Edited by Idunnolol
nhsYE.jpg