Legality of Custom Parts

Click

So, this is a question that I've seen come up a lot. Would it be legal to make your own Lego/Bionicle parts using 3D Printing? How about selling those parts?I've seen different sources say yes, and no, so I want to ask if any of you guys know.

Edited by Click

this would be more suited as a poll, but I prefer non-custom parts.
What? I was talking about how legal Custom parts are, not whether you like them or not.
Probably as long as you don't sell them.
Well, that's another thing, would selling them be okay?

So, this is a question that I've seen come up a lot. Would it be legal to make your own Lego/Bionicle parts using 3D Printing? How about selling those parts?I've seen different sources say yes, and no, so I want to ask if any of you guys know.
If they're exact copies of existing parts, then yes, that would definitely be illegal. But if the parts are your own original designs (for instance, a special accessory for minifigures), I don't think there'd be a problem.By the way, if you're planning to use 3D printing, keep in mind that 3D printers aren't nearly as precise as injection molding, and thus your resulting piece could very well have rough edges, or have trouble fitting snugly with other Lego. Lego uses 3D printers for prototyping new parts, but the final molds are machined separately.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Yeah, I know, but I can't afford an injection molding machine and all the molds I'd need. I wish I could for blended materials.And that's the most believable answer I've seen. I hope it's right!

Edited by Click

Yeah, I know, but I can't afford an injection molding machine and all the molds I'd need. I wish I could for blended materials.And that's the most believable answer I've seen. I hope it's right!
Sounds about right to me. As long as you're not copying an actual LEGO piece, it should be fine. Question answered; topic closed.newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender