• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Posted Image

Photo

Sectoid Mantodea

Ballom Sectoid Mantodea BBC #64 insect mantis

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,579 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Feb 10 2013 - 01:50 PM

8459902713_91b168e116_n.jpg
Flickr

"Do you know praying mantis?""You're looking at him!"This is my entry for BBC Contest 64, clearly. I actually had to rush horrendously to finish and photograph this MOC yesterday, as it was the only day I had available to do so. Fun! However, it came together pretty well in the end, I'd say. He's more or less based off of the Sectoids from Xevoz (if you understand what that means, I salute you), with a color scheme inspired by the insect aliens from Galaxy Squad.

~B~

Edited by Ballom, Mar 26 2014 - 07:42 PM.

sands_banner.jpg

#2 Offline Freezer Burn

Freezer Burn
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 291 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 11 2013 - 09:36 PM

GAH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS XEVOZ! Anyway. The color scheme is really solid (you made red and green not look like christmas; nicely done.) This six limbs are incorporated without looking forced or awkward, and the upper arms just look really nice. His head is perfectly insectoid, and the wings go great! His bottom legs look a bit haphazard in my opinion, but I'll attribute that to being rushed. :P I wish you all the luck in the contest!

Look at me still talking when there's science to do!

#3 Offline InnerRayg

InnerRayg
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Leaders
  • Buttest of Dialers

• 12,846 posts
  •   BZP Leader

Posted Feb 12 2013 - 08:46 PM

I like the design, and the color scheme is very nice. I like the spiky bits on his armor, they really help create that insect feel, like tiny hairs on a fly's leg. Nice job.

webbanner.gif

Latest Update: STORM AND SAND

#4 Offline Meiko

Meiko
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Nuhvok-Kal Attacks!

• 3,067 posts

Posted Feb 13 2013 - 08:58 AM

What a beautiful MOC. The colors are great, and everything about it screams insect. My vote in the BBC contest just became a much more difficult decision. Good luck!

--
Meiko
News reporter and database administrator at Brickset (profile)
Administrator at Brickipedia (profile)
Administrator at BIONICLEsector01 (profile)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

#5 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,579 posts

Posted Feb 19 2013 - 12:57 AM

GAH SOMEONE WHO KNOWS XEVOZ! Anyway. The color scheme is really solid (you made red and green not look like christmas; nicely done.) This six limbs are incorporated without looking forced or awkward, and the upper arms just look really nice. His head is perfectly insectoid, and the wings go great! His bottom legs look a bit haphazard in my opinion, but I'll attribute that to being rushed. :P I wish you all the luck in the contest!
I'm glad to hear that someone else likes Xevoz. :P Yes, they were pretty awesome, huh? I still have many of the figures from back in the day, and I even got some inspiration for Mantodea here from the very awesome Bone Cutter.I understand what you mean about the legs, but they look pretty good to me now, with the spiky Knights Kingdom armor and all. It took me about 5 or so tries to make legs that weren't spindly stilts and that could support his weight. But thank you anyway. 
I like the design, and the color scheme is very nice. I like the spiky bits on his armor, they really help create that insect feel, like tiny hairs on a fly's leg. Nice job.
Thanks, InnerRayg! I was glad that so many of the lime armor pieces had the spikes, such as the flat panels from Scorpio and the spiky antennae/mini Piraka spines. They really came in handy, especially for a mantis. 
What a beautiful MOC. The colors are great, and everything about it screams insect. My vote in the BBC contest just became a much more difficult decision. Good luck!
Well, I wouldn't say that this MOC is beautiful, but I am quite fond of it myself. Thanks. ^_^Since voting starts in a day, feel free to vote for Mantodea in the BBC #64 polls, everyone!~B~

Edited by Ballom, Feb 19 2013 - 03:37 AM.

sands_banner.jpg

#6 Online Space: Ocean of Awe

Space: Ocean of Awe
  • Members
  • Seeker

• 262 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 19 2013 - 01:58 PM

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]*Gasp!* Xevoz! God, so many childhood memories. Even before I read the part about Xevoz I loved it. Brilliant colour scheme, the head is awesome, and for the most part, it fits together nicely (though there are some areas that could be fleshed out and such).[/color][/font]

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]And I understand how you must have felt, photographing this dude totally last minute.[/color][/font]

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]=)[/color][/font]

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

#7 Offline Gengar

Gengar
  • Members
  • Emerging Defender of Mata Nui

• 2,065 posts
  •  

Posted Feb 19 2013 - 05:52 PM

I like your color scheme, with the lime and red. The head is pretty amazing, and the armor on the legs as well. The wings are good, if that's the word to describe it. The waist looks a bit thin in my opinion, though. Still, good luck.

#8 Offline Ballom

Ballom
  • Premier Member
  • Great Disks Recovered

• 9,579 posts

Posted Feb 24 2013 - 03:21 AM

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]*Gasp!* Xevoz! God, so many childhood memories. Even before I read the part about Xevoz I loved it. Brilliant colour scheme, the head is awesome, and for the most part, it fits together nicely (though there are some areas that could be fleshed out and such).[/color][/font]

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]And I understand how you must have felt, photographing this dude totally last minute.[/color][/font]

[color=#0000cd;][font="'lucida sans unicode', 'lucida grande', sans-serif;"]=)[/color][/font]

Yes, Xevoz were awesome. I bought all of the figures from the first wave (some even in multiples, such as Bone Cutter) but it's a shame that figures in the second wave were so rare to find in stores (I only managed to get 3 or 4 of them . . . :()

The head design is actually not mine; it's based off of a head from BioRays on Flickr. But I I modified it to have a more insect vibe for Mantodea here, with the antennae and all. Also, what areas do you feel need to be fleshed out on the MOC?

I like your color scheme, with the lime and red. The head is pretty amazing, and the armor on the legs as well. The wings are good, if that's the word to describe it. The waist looks a bit thin in my opinion, though. Still, good luck.

I thought that the trans-green wings fit in well with the lime in his color scheme, and while they're kinda small, they seem to fit well. As for this guy's waist, it unfortunately had to be a little thin at the connection of the Ben 10 torso on his thorax to the Hero Factory torso on his abdomen. Still, wasps have a thin waist, so giving one to a lean, mean praying mantis isn't too much of a stretch.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Edited by Ballom, Feb 24 2013 - 03:22 AM.

sands_banner.jpg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users