Real Bionicle vs knockoffs

ToaBion

What do you guy thinks about the knockoffs?

Personally I think many knockoffs of gen 1 are actually pretty well made. The issues I see are the higher probability of getting pieces in bad condition, and the fact that the pins and axle usually don't fit well with neither the knockoff or the original pieces.

On the other hand, the Hero Factory and gen 2 knockoffs are really bad. Besides the issues I said before, the plastic is really cheap and weak and it's almost imposible to pose them.

Here's a video where I tell the diference that I have found between fake and real Bionicle pieces.

It's also in Spanish on my channel if someone of you speak Spanish.

Edited by ToaBion

12 minutes ago, Valendale said:

Man, I just have no need for knockoffs in my life. I've never really understood the Bionicle fandom's interest in them to be honest. Does it just come from people in areas where the real thing isn't as widely available?

The only real draw to them for me is the fact that its more parts and a greater variety of interesting shapes I can experiment with. I'm much more into MOCing than anything else, so parts are usually my focus

move along.

nothing to see here.

59 minutes ago, kanohi of jello said:

The only real draw to them for me is the fact that its more parts and a greater variety of interesting shapes I can experiment with. I'm much more into MOCing than anything else, so parts are usually my focus

I've never sought out knockoffs, but I agree it is interesting seeing what recolors and other shapes there can be. There's something eerie about the packaging to me too, the mix of familiar with unfamiliar. I always worry BIONICLE looks to non-fans the way knockoffs do to us, just weird faces and weapons with meaningless names and titles.

Edited by Master Inika

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

6 hours ago, kanohi of jello said:

I do only buy real Bionicle because they are way much better than any knockoff. But I did buy some just to see if there where any significant difference with the real one.

I guess that people do buy them because they are cheaper. I have found Hero Factory and Bionicle gen 2 knockoffs for 2'50 euros, but I won't buy them again because of the really bad quality of the plastic.

As kanohi of jello I guess people buy knockoffs sometimes for recolors and new parts that can be used on normal Bionicle pieces. Knockoffs as the one that are shown on this link could be pretty interesting, I think:

https://www.deviantart.com/jedder77/art/Bionicle-Knock-Offs-Quick-Rev-SPOILER-ALERT-613142524

Edited by ToaBion
Spelling errors

5 hours ago, Master Inika said:

I've never sought out knockoffs, but I agree it is interesting seeing what recolors and other shapes there can be. There's something eerie about the packaging to me too, the mix of familiar with unfamiliar. I always worry BIONICLE looks to non-fans the way knockoffs do to us, just weird faces and weapons with meaningless names and titles.

That last thing sounds kind of sad. I think it is that way here in Spain where not many people got into Bionicle. But I guess that happens with other lores and videogames. For example, I don't know any name from WoW or LoL.

6 hours ago, kanohi of jello said:

I agree with you :)