Toa Of Light (Solek, Maybe?)

TuragaNuva

Hey, guys, it's been awhile since I've built any MOCs (let alone posted any), but I'm back with a new creation:

optimized-toa_solek_topic.jpg^Click for gallery (when public)^

Basically just a Toa of Light of some sort. Possibly a Toa version of Solek? I don't know, interpret it as you will.Until the gallery becomes public, here are some more pictures, including his shield on his arm and back.As always, comments, constructive criticism, etc, are greatly appreciated :biggrin: .- :t: :n:

Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

The new gold (yes, I still call it "new") goes well with white. In addition, since the vast majority (if not all) gold parts are armor parts, the color layering is splendid. I also like your integration of Hero Factory parts on the BIONICLE base. The chestplate works very well here.I don't know what the epaulets are doing there ... the colors look fine, but the entire upper torso and neck look really jumbled. I think you could remove the entire epaulet structure if you wanted to, and no harm would befall the look of the MOC. (Also, what in the name of salted mustard-based gravy is that joint doing sticking out of the chest? You could remove it, but I'd like for it to be used somehow ... it might be too high-up for a ball joint-based heartlight, but you can tinker with it.)The upper arms look strange. The use of the 2.0 armor on the back of the upper arms doesn't look bad in and of itself, though I'd prefer armoring on the side of the upper arms. The main qualm I have with it are the silver Technic parts holding it together. Not only does the technic look like it's the, uh technical innards of some machine (excuse the horrible pun), but the silver there throws off the color layering, which I mentioned looked very good. That's the only obvious aberration in the color scheme and layering.A minor issue for me would be the length of the upper legs, as that portion looks stubby next to the length of the lower legs - but really, that's overlookable.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I like this guy! He looks like a great Toa of Light! Doesn't look much like Solek, though. Then again, he was disguised as a Ko-Matoran. Good job, overall!Edit: Could use more pictures.

Thanks! I didn't actually build him with Solek in mind, but once I finished, I realized that I'd made a Toa of Light with his mask and a similar sword :P . And oh, you want more pictures? How about these?

The new gold (yes, I still call it "new") goes well with white. In addition, since the vast majority (if not all) gold parts are armor parts, the color layering is splendid. I also like your integration of Hero Factory parts on the BIONICLE base. The chestplate works very well here.I don't know what the epaulets are doing there ... the colors look fine, but the entire upper torso and neck look really jumbled. I think you could remove the entire epaulet structure if you wanted to, and no harm would befall the look of the MOC. (Also, what in the name of salted mustard-based gravy is that joint doing sticking out of the chest? You could remove it, but I'd like for it to be used somehow ... it might be too high-up for a ball joint-based heartlight, but you can tinker with it.)The upper arms look strange. The use of the 2.0 armor on the back of the upper arms doesn't look bad in and of itself, though I'd prefer armoring on the side of the upper arms. The main qualm I have with it are the silver Technic parts holding it together. Not only does the technic look like it's the, uh technical innards of some machine (excuse the horrible pun), but the silver there throws off the color layering, which I mentioned looked very good. That's the only obvious aberration in the color scheme and layering.A minor issue for me would be the length of the upper legs, as that portion looks stubby next to the length of the lower legs - but really, that's overlookable.

I love your detailed and thorough reviews, Sumiki (especially one of my MOC!). I'll try to address the issues you mentioned in order:I felt like the epaulets make the shoulders look a little better than they would without them, but, after looking at him without them, they still look all right. I'll think about whether I'll keep them or not. As for the socket under his chin, well, I really needed something to fill the gap in his chest, and that was the best option I could find. I considered putting a heartlight in it, but, like you said, it seemed too high up. Maybe I'll try putting a light gray ball joint in it, just to fill the socket...Does the silver really stand out that much? I was hoping that the bit on the arms would help to balance out his sword (which I was a little upset didn't match his gold and white color scheme), but I could easily be wrong. I'm not sure how I could get rid of that silver, though... Do you think that adding a few other touches of silver (say, on the feet and upper legs) would balance out the silver on the arms? Or would it just throw off the color layering?And I get what you mean about the legs. But, unless I make custom legs, which would be hard (for me) to make in white and gold, the Inika legs look the best, and they're too long with the longer upper-leg piece.And thanks a bunch for your compliments, and your review in general!-:t::n: Edited by TuragaNuva

sigbanner.gif

I wouldn't recommend a light gray ball joint for the torso, simply because it might interfere with the color there. If you can't find anything to add to it, you might want to tinker around and remove it somehow. I forgot to mention that, should you remove the epaulets, you might want to consider expanding the torso. Right now, he's got feminine-ish shoulder-to-hip proportions, and that's a bit more obvious without the epaulets. He doesn't look feminine by any means, but widening the shoulders might be a good idea.Anent the silver ... you could add it, but you've got a good, solid gold-on-white color scheme. More silver (as an accent, rather than a major color) might not look bad, but it'd certainly not look as good. It could be pulled off, I'm sure, but it'd probably be easier - and more aesthetically pleasing - to get rid of it somehow. Don't worry about the sword - it's more realistic for such a weapon to be silver anyway, and unless it's actually integrated into the MOC, don't concern yourself with balancing it out.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

I like this guy! He looks like a great Toa of Light! Doesn't look much like Solek, though. Then again, he was disguised as a Ko-Matoran. Good job, overall!Edit: Could use more pictures.

Thanks! I didn't actually build him with Solek in mind, but once I finished, I realized that I'd made a Toa of Light with his mask and a similar sword :P . And oh, you want more pictures? How about these?
Those new pictures are epic! Especially the first one!You are quite the photographer! Toa Solek has a great, original build and weapon. You've done great! Edited by Didonchu

mindeth the cobwebs

I wouldn't recommend a light gray ball joint for the torso, simply because it might interfere with the color there. If you can't find anything to add to it, you might want to tinker around and remove it somehow. I forgot to mention that, should you remove the epaulets, you might want to consider expanding the torso. Right now, he's got feminine-ish shoulder-to-hip proportions, and that's a bit more obvious without the epaulets. He doesn't look feminine by any means, but widening the shoulders might be a good idea.Anent the silver ... you could add it, but you've got a good, solid gold-on-white color scheme. More silver (as an accent, rather than a major color) might not look bad, but it'd certainly not look as good. It could be pulled off, I'm sure, but it'd probably be easier - and more aesthetically pleasing - to get rid of it somehow. Don't worry about the sword - it's more realistic for such a weapon to be silver anyway, and unless it's actually integrated into the MOC, don't concern yourself with balancing it out.

Hmmm... How about this? Just experimenting.

Those new pictures are epic! Especially the first one!You are quite the photographer! Toa Solek has a great, original build and weapon. You've done great!
Thanks! :)-:t::n:

sigbanner.gif

The chespiece here is particularly well-utilised, and seems to fit seamlessly over the torso. The silver bits on the upper arms and the grey bits on the chest throw me off a little. Is there any way to replace them with white (or gold, not sure what the range of liftarms out right now is) ones?

It's not illegal, it's just cheating.

The chespiece here is particularly well-utilised, and seems to fit seamlessly over the torso. The silver bits on the upper arms and the grey bits on the chest throw me off a little. Is there any way to replace them with white (or gold, not sure what the range of liftarms out right now is) ones?

Thanks! Sumiki mentioned the issue of the silver already, actually, and I'm currently tinkering around looking for a solution. If you look at my last post (the one above yours), you can see some pictures of a different upper arm design I'm experimenting with :) .-:t::n:

sigbanner.gif