Bad Animation Discussion (Tv Shows Only)

StrobeFlashLite

you know i don't see a lot of discussion coming out of this. "hey, X show has some pretty bad animation""yeah, it really does""i do declare, show Y's animation is far worse!""I disagree, show Z is the worst i've seen by a mile" that being said, a good example of some odd animation would be the 60's Spiderman show.

nhsYE.jpg

Most animation today is much choppier than older cartoons. Tom and Jerry was animated at an insane quality, as are the original Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies. However, I don't know what the time constraints back then were. Modern cartoons have to come up with a new show every week, which leads to choppier animation and reused frames with different backgrounds depending on the quality of the drawings most of the time. Sometimes even simpler designed cartoons fall victim to this as well, however. And every now and then, you'll get an above-decent animated show with amazing detail in the pictures.

Edited by Gorag

6244916474_c93fd6d552.jpg

6251674125_b0dbed809a.jpg

6252203236_c35c6ab8f3.jpg

There's a difference between trade-offs due to budget and time constraints, which affect most TV animation, and having animators who don't know how to use the tools available to them (Disney's first few years of using computers still make me cringe). Most of the original animation for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network suffers from both problems. One of the classic bad made for TV cartoons is The Mighty Hercules in the early 60s. Extremely low budget, without the tricks others were developing at the time for TV animation to allow for decent story telling on a low budget. The show also had shallow characters and plots that were possibly worse than the animation.

a good example of some odd animation would be the 60's Spiderman show.

Particularly since the second season animation was made from editing/splicing clips from the first season into new stories. There were some other Marvel characters (Thor, Hulk, and I think Captain America) that had cartoons in the 60s that were mostly stills with very low frame rates when there was movement.

Anything anime. It's like the guys are just plain lazy. :P

That depends on the show; I've seen some beautiful animation in anime, despite the severe time and budget constraints. You may have seen a lot of action anime based on manga (like Bleach), where the manga progresses so slowly they have to drag seven minutes of story into a full episode, or be faced with even more filler than they already use. This results in reusing a lot of the animation and repetitive fight scenes to pad the episodes.

Most animation today is much choppier than older cartoons. Tom and Jerry was animated at an insane quality, as are the original Walt Disney's Silly Symphonies. However, I don't know what the time constraints back then were. Modern cartoons have to come up with a new show every week, which leads to choppier animation and reused frames with different backgrounds depending on the quality of the drawings most of the time. Sometimes even simpler designed cartoons fall victim to this as well, however. And every now and then, you'll get an above-decent animated show with amazing detail in the pictures.

That older animation was made to be shown in movie theaters, with much higher budgets. I don't know if there was a standard amount of time, but Chuck Jones, during his most productive years (1948-1956), averaged ten cartoons a year; that's a little over a month to produce a cartoon that's only seven minutes long, including credits.

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

Anything anime. It's like the guys are just plain lazy. :P

In the past when every scene was hand-drawn from start to finish, animators had to take shortcuts to keep up with deadlines and keep the budget from exploding. That shortcutting has been kept even now for similar reasons. Though there are quite a few shows that break the mold and have excellent animation throughout. Though I'm not disagreeing with your point, as Powerpoint seems to be the #1 animation program in Japan.

As Pohuaki said, those older cartoon classics had much larger budgets and greater lengths of time to spend working. Nowadays cartoons are voice acted, storyboarded, drawn, and animated with almost no time leftover before their airdate. If I remember correctly, actual drawing/animation of a typical cartoon episode begins about 3-4 weeks before that episode airs. Counting time used for review, QA, getting OK'd from everyone and their pet dogs, and everything else means everything is drawn and animated in less than 2 weeks' time.

that being said, a good example of some odd animation would be the 60's Spiderman show.

Oh god. I love that show.
I don't think it's possible to not love that show.
kaiji.jpg

KUYASHII

­

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: ImaGonnaGetYou

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a lot of people will probably react badly to this, but over the summer I saw a few episodes of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and I thought the animation was egregious."That is not dead which can eternal lie, / And with strange aeons even death may die."

Edited by Great Cthulhu

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

South Park's animation was DESIGNED to look bad. It's pretty neat in that way XDAs for truly terrible, I think the infamously weird animation of the 60's Spider-Man made it lovably funny.As for anime being bad, (I know it isn't a TV show but it's too awesome to care) Akira in the 80's was basically the thing that made every anime jealous of it. It was amazingly detailed, and it used over 300,000 frames (I think) and around 800 colors, some of which where made exclusively for it.

You know, I remember watching the original 60's Spider-Man cartoon, and always seeing people screaming on it, but they'd pop up wiht their mouths open, make a screaming noise, and then another person would pop up and do the same thing...And of course, where did Spider-Man's web always go? Does it attach to clouds or something?The stories were always pretty cool though. When you were little and watched that, it was amazing.I think when you watch a show that has been on air for a while and switched over to HD, you sometimes find the original episodes painful to watch because the animation jsut used to suck. Like the original Simpsons or Family Guy episodes. They were funny, but it felt sometimes like I drew it myself...But current shows with bad animation? I don't know, I haven't seen enough lately to tell...MTL

South Park's animation was DESIGNED to look bad. It's pretty neat in that way XD

Yeah, I agree. It fits the nature of the show well.As for awful animation, just take a look at Adventure Time on Cartoon Network.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

• 4 weeks later...

At least mention Canadian Flash cartoons. Besides, I meant as in a "Worst Cartoons/Animated Movies" kind of thread.

Ouch.Just... Ouch. The canadian in me is hurt.As for bad animation, i'd have to say the worst Cartoon i've watched recently with bad animation would probably have to be Transformers Animated. i don't watch a lot of Cartoons/TV or anything like that, but some scenes made me cry with the sheer... laziness of the animation. That, and the old 60's spiderman which, while being awesome, Makes me laugh with the same scene six times reversed in 30 seconds. xD

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

I do recall seeing an advertisement for a kid's show called Peppa Pig. That show does have very wierd animation sometimes, but in this ad, Peppa is meant to turn her head behind her to talk to someone or something. Her head went up until it was straight up in the air... AND THEN KEPT GOING WITHOUT ANYTHING GETTING ADJUSTED. IT LOOKED LIKE SHE BROKE HER SPINE.Horrifying stuff, really.

Memoirs of the Dead entry: The Unknown Turaga, a tale from the late Chronicler Kodan's journal.

Strakk's Best Friend, the story of a confusing yet somehow canon friendship.

Terrible Comics, a collection of comics that are terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, this isn't the kind of topic I wanted.

Care to enlighten us as to what was the kind of topic you wanted? It all seems pretty accurate from the title.On the subject everyone else seems to be following, I'm pleased to say that besides the typical animation errors you can get from My Little Pony (Dash skidding through a duck), I don't really watch animated TV SHOWS. Films on the other hand...

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.