Most Underrated Set

Wazdakka

Just now, after realizing that I am possibly the dumbest person in the world when it comes to chemistry, I decided to drown my sorrows by going down to my basement to look at my Bionicle shelf. All of a sudden, as I looked at my old favorite sets and pulled out Onua Mata, then Nuva, my old love for Onua Mistika flared up again. As I thought about my favorite canister set (he's tied with a few others), I recalled that generally, there wasn't too much love for the Mistika line. Heck, I could remember people ripping on Onua for being too darn thin. I, however, think that he is one of the most underrated Bionicles - I can't recall anybody showering praise on him, but to me, he's perfect.

The black, silver, and red color scheme looks fan-friggin'-tastic.

He has nice earth colors (black and grey) - as opposed to our stone Toa becoming orange/yellow and the disappearance of the Mata colors.

Only 2 blue pins, which are concealed in his hands.

Nice armor plating.

Non-weird mask ('cough' Gali Mistika 'cough').

He's Onua.

So now, I ask you - what do you think is (are) the most underrated Bionicle set(s) and why?

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Hm, if I had to list my main issue with Onua Mistika, it was that he was way too tall, the tallest in the batch, if I recall, which is totally out of character for onua. But disregarding that, it was a nice set.

Back on topic, one of the sets I liked most but is generally disliked was Hewkii Metru. There were lots of complaints about his "helmet" mask, but I generally liked the sting-ray look of it, plus he had a decent color scheme and a cool weapon, and was my favorite of the Mahri.

:music:

Being sets from before I joined the forum, I didn't see any of the community reactions to the SYSTEM-based playsets, but I thought they were pretty cool. Haven't seen anyone talking about them in a while. They had a lot of useful recolors.

Also, Roodaka. Whenever I see anyone refer to her it's about the awkward chest armor, but aside from that she was a pretty solid set.

Also, the 2008 sets. Sure their joints were awful and they didn't look exactly like their characters did five years previously, but Vamprah was awesome, Pohatu's big ol' propeller hands were neat-o, and the vehicles had the cool functions to them.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I don't care what anyone says, Pohatu and Photok Phantoka and Gali mistika are Awesome. Pohatu has stabby-spinny propeler hands and it's just awesome.

Skarll is also one of my favorites. He takes cues from the Inika build and switches it around a bit and makes the lankiness look awesome.

And the 50th anniversary (I think?) Toa hagah have some nice colors and cool looking armor.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

My friend at school... he has the Toa Hagah, Keetongu, Teridax, Nuju Metru, Tahu Nuva, Nidhiki, a custom Tuyet (I strongly dislike Tuyet), Manas, ALL the Vahki, ALL the Piraka, ALL the Toa Mata, ALL the Makuta, Icarax and... lets just say he only needs the Nui Jaga to complete his collection. Literally. No lie. Cross my heart.

For starters, Tarix is pretty rad. He reminds me of some kind of Atlantean setting, which fits BIONICLE in my opinion. Also, Lesovikk's really cool. Sure, he's notorious for cracking, but his vehicle is one of the sweetest things about him.

I might be back with wod on another underrated set(s).

mindeth the cobwebs

I always thought Strakk was a bit underrated. I always liked the look of his helmet and axe, but nobody else seems to share my opinion.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Oh!

I just realized that Nuparu Mahri, another of my favorites, was not reviewed too highly on BZPower and elsewhere thanks to the fact that his limbs were all exactly the same.

Sleek black armor, awesome mask and shield, both contribute to an awesome Bionicle.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

Why were the reviews bad?There doesn't seem to be much to hate with that set.

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Why were the reviews bad?There doesn't seem to be much to hate with that set.

Just look at BZP's review. They said that it was a chore to build it, filled with gaps, imperfect color scheme, low playability, expensive, and no new parts.

http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=4335

Come to think of it, the Stars never really got as much credit as they deserved. Especially Nektann (Piraka); he was a pretty good set IMO.

True dat!

I remember that in one thread (the name escapes me), I was arguing that the Stars were probably the best small-sized sets since the '01 Toa, beating out the Agori, Av-Toran, and others.

• Upvote 1

Come to think of it, the Stars never really got as much credit as they deserved. Especially Nektann (Piraka); he was a pretty good set IMO.

True dat!

I remember that in one thread (the name escapes me), I was arguing that the Stars were probably the best small-sized sets since the '01 Toa, beating out the Agori, Av-Toran, and others.

True dat! Although, I thought the Turage, not the Mata, were the small sets of 2001.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

Well, as Bionicles got bigger over time, the Stars are actually the same size as the Mata, even though they are "small" sets. I was trying to compare them as figures being the same size, not relative to their current waves.

I don't actually own a Turaga, but I think I'd like the Stars more.

I had my own reasons for underrating the entire toa nuva team of 2008(not takanuva and toa ignika are accounted) despite seeing that other fans had good claims to prove the value of the sets.
I personally resented some of the decisions LEGO used for the phantoka and mistika but i think all of them suffered from mixtures of bad ideas, including traditional colorschemes for the toa nuva being ditched.

Kopaka: i feel kopaka suffered a lot bad changes alongside onua and gali for having almost nothing than a blaster as a main weapon and i was disappointed him having a knife which is pretty much compared to a large bowie knife or a very large icicle (in contrast to his size against the weapon) Additionally his scope was on the wrong side of the mask and his upper arms had a tendency to knock the shoulder armor off his arms when posing him.

Pohatu: Somehow i can't help but wonder Lego really let Pohatu on the chopping block when they created his phantoka form. As with many stone sets tha suffered a removal in brown in the series after 2006 Pohatu became really different with his signature brown and tan colors were gone. The propellers are a good idea for helicopter arms but whenever i try to display them closed (as if he is about to punch or grab) they just want to turn by themselves and limp downwards.

Lewa: The only thing i didnt like about him was that Lego ditched the bright green color for grey and turned his secondary lime green color into his new main color.

Tahu: First of all i think he was too short and stocky for a leader role figure. All of his bright red and orange was flushed down the drain and his hideous silver and metru red made look like someone who was just posing as him. But the worst offense was that his old intimidating flame swords were replaced with rather puny spinning blades, at least if the weapon had more color instead silver or the blades had been bigger.

Onua: Everyone knows that he was lanky now instead of hunchbacked, his dark grey was switched for silver. And his great looking chainsaw weapons were switched big shield and a huge cannon which doesnt have any melee tools for close range attacks and doesn't have many good poses.

Gali: Like many fans would say Gali suffered the most, Her the mask was the ugliest(second to hahli inikas moustache mask) and was a huge mess of trying to look like a mech face from neon genesis evangelion anime, having a potholed targetscope on on eye and the aerodynamic wings on the mask which many acknowledged as bunny ears.
She was also designed as being rather masculine for a swimmer since female swimmers have very slim and lean bodies... and lastly her flippers/ double axes were replaced by a blaster and not having any melee wepon for close ranged combat.

If i would rate them, my personal verdict would be that the 2008 Toa Nuva were not a huge disaster and were mostly OK! and at best deserve a mediocre ranking of roughly 5,5/10 for each of them.

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

To the previous poster, without any offence intended, do you know what 'underrated' means? It describes something that deserves more appreciation than it gets, and this topic is asking what sets you feel should be appreciated more for whatever good points you feel they have. Your post is largely criticism, and whilst I agree with a lot of it, you seem to be confusing 'underrated' with badly rated.

To the previous poster, without any offence intended, do you know what 'underrated' means? It describes something that deserves more appreciation than it gets, and this topic is asking what sets you feel should be appreciated more for whatever good points you feel they have. Your post is largely criticism, and whilst I agree with a lot of it, you seem to be confusing 'underrated' with badly rated.

I was describing the reasons that describe how most fans felt about the entire 2008 nuva group might be underrated, some like them other like me had higher hopes for them.

qs3135.jpg

I was describing the reasons that describe how most fans felt about the entire 2008 nuva group might be underrated, some like them other like me had higher hopes for them.

If you or other fans were giving reasons for why they were underrated you'd be making positive points. Making negative points (as you did) is simply criticism, which you'd be doing if you thought they were 'overrated'.

I think what ~Kopaka Nuva~ means is that he was expressing the problems with the sets, problems that were the reasons the sets were poorly rated. If the sets were well rated from the get-go, then there would be no underrated part about it. I certainly agree that 2008 had its share of problems in both canister and boxed sets, but also had some gems.

That said, I would like to confine discussion primarily to what set you feel is underrated and why.

• Upvote 1

I think what ~Kopaka Nuva~ means is that he was expressing the problems with the sets, problems that were the reasons the sets were poorly rated. If the sets were well rated from the get-go, then there would be no underrated part about it. I certainly agree that 2008 had its share of problems in both canister and boxed sets, but also had some gems.

That said, I would like to confine discussion primarily to what set you feel is underrated and why.

I completely understand that you don't want this to stray off topic.

However if i really had to choose an underrated set/sets which i happen to own myself it would actually be Onua Mistika and Kopaka Phantoka. Of all 2008 Nuva i think they got the best results in managing to represent their old selves, and at least their faults are more easy to fix in order to make them look better (at least compared to the others) with altering them with mocing parts.

qs3135.jpg

Its hard to pick a underrated set since I really liked all of them. But if there was one, it would be the Chirox set (I did not read the reviews) because I really liked how he had those large blades.

Favorite Film of All Time: Fight Club

Favorite Television Show of all Time: The X-Files

Favorite LEGO Franchise of all Time: BIONICLE

Favorite BIONICLE year of all time: 2006

76561198042260869.png