How could Voya Nui be on the surface of Aqua Magna?

At least, that's what the BioSector01 article states.

Assume that this is true, and that it broke off from the Southern Continent when the Great Cataclysm occurred. How did it get through Mata Nui's shell? Was there a huge empty space in his belly? (No, there wasn't, as evidenced by the full-on shots of him.) What happened when the cord broke and it returned to its place, did it go back through that "hole"? If it floated upwards when it first broke off, why would it float downwards when the Toa Mahri severed it?

And then, where was the Pit in relation to all of this? Was it inside Mata Nui or somewhere on Aqua Magna?

There was an empty space where Voya Nui had resided, actually. During the Great Cataclysm, Voya Nui broke through it's dome and out through the GSR, creating the hole. This created a huge waterfall through Karda Nui, which in turn created the swamp below the stalactites. When the Toa Mahri destroyed the Cord, it sent Voya Nui back down to it's original location. The Pit was originally a jail in the GSR, but after the Great Cataclysm, the surviving inmates escaped from the destroyed prison and into the surrounding mutagenic waters. (as a result of leakage from the damaged GSR)

Bliss.png

You're correct it did break off the Southern Continent with the Great Cataclysm happened. So yes, it broke through Mata Nui's chest when he landed on Aqua Magna, and floated to the top of the sea. Then the active volcano created the chord, which connected to the ocean shore to keep it from floating away. When the chord was severed, the Toa Nuva were using the Staff of Artahka which they were supposed to use to help awaken Mata Nui, which "fixed" everything that was inside of the robot. The power of that staff caused Voya Nui to sink back into where it belonged. Once it was back inside the hole in Mata Nui's chest was fixed. Before that, the hole let sea water drain through into the robot, and down into Karda Nui, which is what created that swamp. The water then mixed with the core's energy, which gave the water its mutating properties, both in Karda Nui and the Pit.

As as far as the Pit is concerned, it is located inside the southernmost part of the robot, (most likely near or in his feet) and it was shattered during the Great Cataclysm. The Pit members broke out, and they were subsequently mutated by the afore mentioned waters of Aqua Magna (which was also called the Pit because the prisoners were "trapped" there also, so they viewed it as another jail.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

This has been brought up before and there are past topics somebody might have the link to with more detail (I don't at moment). Summary:

-Yes, it broke through the roof of the SC dome like a bullet, to surface ocean. Got through by sheer velocity apparently. Exact details of this in canon haven't been established; the story team at times did not seem to appreciate the challenges for this. However, it's possible; I present at least one plausible scenario in Chapter 51 of my Bionicle retelling (see sig, but I've only publicly posted up to Chapter 5 thus far). Parts of it and some other possibilities have been posted by me and others in the past.

-No, there was not a "huge" empty space though it would be big compared to a Matoran of course. The "official" map of the islands of the Matoran Universe you may have seen portrays Voya Nui as waaaaay too big; if that was right, the MU would have basically instantly flooded. Compared to the SC, it should be seen more as a tiny dot.

-However, seeing "full on shots" of him is irrelevant as the special staff in its amplifying chamber healed the damage after Voya Nui returned to the SC in 2007 plot.

-Yes, it went back through that hole (just before the hole was sealed).

-It floated downward because the "magnetic" force of that special staff obtained by the Toa Nuva was on at that time, and not before.

*as he's typing, sees others are Ninjaing him... decides to post what he's got :P *

*reads other posts to see if Pit answer is already covered...*

Iron Man is incorrect about the placement of the Pit. It is in the torso of the giant robot, in a unique place between the outer surface and the ceiling of the Southern Continent, but not exactly where Voya Nui punched through (so it was not directly harmed by VN, but the quake of both that and the Great Cataclysm in general caused chaos there). It is not in the legs or feet of the giant robot; if it was, it would have played no role in 2007 plot.

*reads other posts again more carefully to check the rest...*

I would also clarify that to my knowledge it was never confirmed if it was the chest that VN broke through (and Pit was over), or abdomen. That depends on whether the Southern Continent is in the chest or the abdomen, which is still debated by fans and to my knowledge Greg has not weighed in on it yet. It's best to simply say "torso" and leave the specifics up to interpretation, for now. Fans have made different versions of maps on this point, including one by me that goes with the abdomen, which seems to make more sense by some points, but other points may be in favor of the alternative. *digs up old topic*

http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/9082-mu-domes-theories-map/

I believe at least one alternate interpretation is posted in one of the replies in there. Pretty sure more detail about the Voya Nui issue came up there too, but haven't had time to review it lately.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Voya Nui was definitely on the surface of Aqua Magna, along with Mata Nui; but you've raised a very good question here. Here's what I do know the answer to: the way that it got up there. It did originally burst through Mata Nui's belly during the Great Cataclysm, leaving a hole. (Why the entire southern continent didn't follow it, and only a crescent shaped section exploded out, is a complete mystery) The hole, along with the other damage to Mata Nui, was repaired to its original state when the Toa Nuva used the staff takha on the entire MU, during the events of the Toa Nuva Blog serial which you can find, in full, here: http://biosector01.com/wiki/index.php/Toa_Nuva_Blog. It seems a bit unrealistic to me, though, that a single staff could undo that damage, even given the other accomplishments of the great beings, but it's canon, so we have to deal with it for now. By the time that Mata Nui awoke and the full-height shots of him appeared, the hole had been fixed.

The cord was severed by the Toa Mahri very, very, soon before the staff of Artakha was used, and so the hole was still open at that time. Yes, it did go through.

The rest, I'm not entirely certain about.

Edited by Artakha's Nephew

Find (digital) me under the name Azani on YouTube, Eurobricks, Discord, the BioMedia Project and the TTV Message Boards.

Please check out Project AFTERMAN on Tumblr and Facebook; I'm proud to have worked as their PR Manager and as a writer.

AAZZ.jpg

Previous topics have established that Voya 'punched though' the robot hull in some form or fashion, perhaps the edge of it cutting into the thing like a knife.

Also, the Pit is here:

6931776441_1227a55eee_z.jpg

6931776407_da8dbdcff4_z.jpg

That would be over the top of Voya Nui.

*sees little point in bringing up a bunch of past topics until the information is needed*

fishers64, your diagram is very helpful. I take it Voya Nui was just above that, connected to the pit by the cord?

However (if I read correctly) none of your theories explain why Voya Nui floated to the surface originally, and then sank after the Toa Mahri severed the cord.

fishers64, your diagram is very helpful. I take it Voya Nui was just above that, connected to the pit by the cord?

However (if I read correctly) none of your theories explain why Voya Nui floated to the surface originally, and then sank after the Toa Mahri severed the cord.

I answered this in my previous post:

It floated downward because the "magnetic" force of that special staff obtained by the Toa Nuva was on at that time, and not before.

Iron Man's post did mention this too. (That's not a theory; that's confirmed.)

As to why it floated originally, however, we do not know, but there have been some theories, such as the Mask of Life converting the whole island to being alive briefly, altering it to be made of "cells" with air pockets, and then "killing" it (or even leaving it alive but that seems unlikely), or there just being enough tunnels and caves in it to float as-is. Another option is it was simply made of the protodermis equivalent of pumice (or enough of it to float).

*reads the other two posts after my previous more carefully...*

For the record, to this:

(Why the entire southern continent didn't follow it, and only a crescent shaped section exploded out, is a complete mystery)

This is one of the main things I include a theory about in my retelling's Chapter 51, which I've decided not to spoil in S&T yet, so you'll have to read the story at that time to see it. :P

Well, to the first part, previous posts in S&T have theorized that VN was broken off due to an energy overload in Karda Nui (the "heart" of the giant, essentially like the main internal combustion chamber of an engine), and that point would simply be the weak point where the energy happened to break through. (But weak due to the volcano and system of tunnels and such leading to the Mask of Life, so not really a coincidence.)

It seems a bit unrealistic to me, though, that a single staff could undo that damage

It didn't; the staff was placed inside an amplifying device on Daxia designed for just that purpose. I mentioned that too in my other post. A quote from the BS01 page on this:

After this, Botar transported the Toa Nuva to Daxia, where they witnessed Trinuma placing the Staff in a power cradle which amplified the Staff's power, sending energy flooding throughout the entire Matoran Universe
Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Correct, although the cord was connected to Mahri Nui, which probably crashed next to the pit, not in it. :shrugs:

Voya Nui, if you'll recall, had hollow chambers that allowed the Voya Nui Matoran to survive the return trip. I would think these hollow air chambers caused it to float up. Then, as bones explained, it didn't sink back into place, it was pulled back by the magnetic force of the Staff of Artahka.

bones is a ninja as well.

Iron Man is incorrect about the placement of the Pit. It is in the torso of the giant robot, in a unique place between the outer surface and the ceiling of the Southern Continent, but not exactly where Voya Nui punched through (so it was not directly harmed by VN, but the quake of both that and the Great Cataclysm in general caused chaos there). It is not in the legs or feet of the giant robot; if it was, it would have played no role in 2007 plot.

Really? Huh, on well, I got that info from biosector01, which said that it was placed in a "far southern part of the matoran universe" :confused: And it was said that Voya Nui drifted a bit before the chord "anchored" it, so in my mind it made perfect sense to have it that far south. It couldn't have been directly next to Voya Nui, because when the Toa Mahri broke the chord, Voya Nui traveled quite a distance to return home, (or so it seems in the books, it seemed to lead the Toa on a merry chase, with the Barraki close behind.) So yeah...

Formerly Iron_Man5

Really? Huh, on well, I got that info from biosector01, which said that it was placed in a "far southern part of the matoran universe" :confused: And it was said that Voya Nui drifted a bit before the chord "anchored" it, so in my mind it made perfect sense to have it that far south. It couldn't have been directly next to Voya Nui, because when the Toa Mahri broke the chord, Voya Nui traveled quite a distance to return home, (or so it seems in the books, it seemed to lead the Toa on a merry chase, with the Barraki close behind.) So yeah...

That would be referring to the far southern part of the known MU (known to most of the inhabitants); the legs were largely unknown to them. :) Unless the person who wrote that wording was confused. And it did not at all travel a big distance on the scales you're talking about -- the Toa Mahri were able to quickly swim the distance. Keep in mind the height of the robot is comparable to Earth; if they had to cross from the legs/feet to the abdomen (or especially chest, if that's where the SC is), it would probably have taken many days at the least. Instead it appears to have covered only a few miles and took only a few minutes.

And VN could have drifted in a looping current so it never left the basic area where it first entered the ocean. For the record, it drifted for a lot longer than a bit, though -- 700 years, a sizeable majority of the Dark Time millenium between the Great Cataclysm and story-present.

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 2

That would be referring to the far southern part of the known MU (known to most of the inhabitants); the legs were largely unknown to them. :) Unless the person who wrote that wording was confused. And it did not at all travel a big distance on the scales you're talking about -- the Toa Mahri were able to quickly swim the distance. Keep in mind the height of the robot is comparable to Earth; if they had to cross from the legs/feet to the abdomen (or especially chest, if that's where the SC is), it would probably have taken many days at the least. Instead it appears to have covered only a few miles and took only a few minutes.

And VN could have drifted in a looping current so it never left the basic area where it first entered the ocean. For the record, it drifted for a lot longer than a bit, though -- 700 years, a sizeable majority of the Dark Time millenium between the Great Cataclysm and story-present.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. :)

Formerly Iron_Man5