Lego Drops Shell Partnership

bioniclepluslotr

Looks like Lego took a step in the right direction and dropped their deal with Shell. Lego will no longer sell Shell-branded sets at Shell gas stations after protests by Greenpeace. :)

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/oct/09/lego-ends-shell-partnership-following-greenpeace-campaign

Actually, they will continue to sell them, but the lisensce will not be renewed when it expires.

• Upvote 1

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I haven't bought system sets a long while. I assumed that they dropped Shell partnership when they came up with the name "Octan". I guess I was wrong.

Add me on 3DS: 0516-7750-0068

Add me on Wii U: Boidoh

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 4: Never Trust a Snake

"I am Lloyd Garmadon, son of Lord Garmadon." - Lloyd, Episode 44: Corridor of Elders

Like, Comment, And Subscribe for Nintendo Content - NinBoidoh

• 2 weeks later...

I completely fail to see how this is a good thing. 

shell was up to all kinds of questionable activities in pursuit of oil

the fans of lego spoke up and said they didn't like lego being involved with a company doing those sorts of things

lego obliged

i think it's huge that a corporation actually listened to people on an environmental issue for once, even if it is clearly begrudgingly.

• Upvote 6

It's not just the fans; I've seen an article written by someone who wasn't a fan of Lego on a well-known and visited site talking about how Lego should drop their partnership with Shell.

The Shell partnership was bad in more than just the fans' eyes. It made Lego look bad in general. I doubt Lego would really make a big move like that solely because fans asked for it.

This is definitely a step in the right direction in my eyes. I'm very happy to see Lego moving away from bad partnerships and is focusing on doing the right thing. Even the Octan trucks I believe have all started saying "energy" rather than "gas," "fuel," or "oil." (I'm not sure exactly which one...)

the fans of lego spoke up and said they didn't like lego being involved with a company doing those sorts of things

lego obliged

i think it's huge that a corporation actually listened to people on an environmental issue for once, even if it is clearly begrudgingly.

I'd appreciate it if you'd give some examples, or at least define what you mean by "questionable". 

This whole thing seems to have started with Greenpeace, not fans. Their video was a blatant appeal to emotion, and contained no real logical argument, which always makes me suspect that there is none. 

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

lego obliged

I'd appreciate it if you'd give some examples, or at least define what you mean by "questionable". 

This whole thing seems to have started with Greenpeace, not fans. Their video was a blatant appeal to emotion, and contained no real logical argument, which always makes me suspect that there is none. 

Drilling in the Arctic seems pretty questionable to me?

• Upvote 1

lego obliged

Drilling in the Arctic seems pretty questionable to me?

How? Contrary to what we've been warned for years, the Arctic is actually outstandingly healthy; the ice caps are significantly bigger than they were two years ago. This planet is tougher than a lot of people give her credit for--and no less a conservationist that Theodore Roosevelt (the man responsible for National Parks) said that we have a duty to utilize natural resources. Unless Shell is straight-up tossing barrels of crude at polar bears while cackling manically, I don't think they'll cause much of a problem up there. 

Additionally, Shell's ties to terrorism are also reason to raise a few eyebrows.

Now that would certainly do it, but I'd need to see it from a news source that at least pretends to be unbiased before I'd take it seriously. I'm pretty sure the Huffer thinks that any energy company that doesn't involve windmills or solar panels is pure evil by default. If you have other sources for your argument, though, I'd be more than happy to look them over. 

• Upvote 2

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

It's no huge industry secret Shell has been forcibly avoiding any investigation into their practices. The news article has many of these documents sourced.

I like to think myself as a rational and intelligent person, but I cannot foresee any moral or ethical reason (in the business sense) why Shell would blockade allegations for over a decade.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

• 2 weeks later...

It's for the best. Shell has always been kinda shady, and if the fans who hate Shell outnumber the fans who will buy the Shell sets, why keep the partnership? Lego wants to keep up an image of being environmentally friendly, disregarding whether or not Shell's actions are actually killing that many polar bears. When you get that much of a backlash over a partnership that hasn't done too much, it's not worth fighting. Very few people will miss some random impulse sets at a gas station anyways, but a lot will appreciate the fact that Lego values the environment.

aouROFb.png

Out of all the oil companies, I have never heard people complain more about any than Shell. Even before the Greenpeace campaign. And the whole arctic drilling thing should be the last straw. Regardless of what the company is up to, oil drilling isn't something that seems fitting for a kids toy. Why not make an Antarctic Research Base set instead?