Buying full sets or recreating?

Poxnixles

It depends on the set. A cloak for either of the Vezon sets will cost you around £15 right now so it would probably make more sense to get those complete rather than try to part them out. I can't imagine that would be an exeption either! Consider this. When sellers part out a set, the sum value of every piece must be MORE than the initial set value or they will lose money in doing so. Ergo, it should theoretically cost more to build in this way. Of course for Bionicle it will often come down to just several parts in a set being very epensive (like the cloak or some masks for example) as many other parts are found commonly and most technic components are dirt cheap. 

• Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I would recommend it, but it depends on the set. I was able to make all 6 original Tohunga and Takua, Hahli, Nuparu, Hafu by just buying a ton of the parts. And it was pretty cheap! Luckily, it only takes 7 pieces to make Tohunga (minus the disc). So it really depends on the set. But idk I've seen the pieces it takes to make the Original 6 Toa and the cost seems just a little less than buying it all together. But it does feel pretty cool to buy all the pieces and slowly see them being built.

• Upvote 1

I'd recommend buying the full sets because you can obtain extra parts aswell as possibly getting them new and sealed. I've only gotten a few of the older sets over the internet, but I can say that it makes me happier to know I've purchased the full set rather than use other parts.

However, if you do happen to have spare parts or multiples of other sets, than I'd go ahead and build some of the Matoran or older Toa if you can.

Would buying the individual parts of the 2003 version of Teridax be cheap? I want to (someday) obtain all the incarnations of Makuta, and the 2003 one is a good place to start. 

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I'd definitely get them full, even if I only get one new translucent piece. I think owning the canister is more important to me than it is to most people.

I want to get into the habit of keeping the boxes, as I threw out a large number of canisters during my earlier Bionicle days. What an idiot I was.

< -< =<o>= >- >

Ha! I tricked you into reading my signature!

< -< =<o>= >- >

It's not that hard to find canisters, particularly the early ones. I have several sets of many older lines and would love to get rid of some if anyone needs pre 2006 tubs :D

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

I buy them in full sets. If it came in a canister, I refuse to get it without the canister.

I'm guessing it's not easy pickings?

I used to be like Spiffy - I refused to get sets without canisters. But then I realized that I could get more sets if I didn't worry about having the packaging intact, so I eventually stopped caring about it. Worked out better in the long run, because my collection grew exponentially!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

• 3 weeks later...