Let's Play Kolhii

It'd probably be good to get team medics too. I'll be the medic for the Philadelphia team.

Could we be partners? :3

You could always use a... PAIR-OF-MEDICS! :D

Sure! Though medics would probably be like Waterboys. Always on the sidelines. So we could switch on who heals between matches.

• Upvote 1

It'd probably be good to get team medics too. I'll be the medic for the Philadelphia team.

Sure! Though medics would probably be like Waterboys. Always on the sidelines. So we could switch on who heals between matches.

Kule. :3

I've always been more of a support, anyways... quite unappreciated but in the end is the reason why you're still alive. XD

:smiletakua: :m_o: :w: :l: :e: :x: :a: :n: :m_d: :e: :r: :smiletol:

76561198067723583.pngAddFriend.png

|

"We are the Turaga of the new generation." ~Owlexander

YouTube - Imgur - Flickr - Bionicle RPG Chat

ಠ_ಠ

​Anyway, let's organize a national Kolhii tournament :P .

• Upvote 3

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

ಠ_ಠ

​Anyway, let's organize a national Kolhii tournament :P .

I'm down with that. :)

(I was waiting for someone to get that joke)

Edited by Forgeta

|

I think people will be quite thankful. Less permanent damage

Appreciated by the heroes, not the crowds. c:

Anyways, how will we go about setting this up? o.0

So guys, is this lacrosse Kolhii or soccer/football Kolhii?

Pretty sure it'll be more like lacrosse, maybe mixed with soccer?

|

I meant is it a large ball we kick or a softball sized ball we throw with lacrosse stick hammer things? 

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  

I meant is it a large ball we kick or a softball sized ball we throw with lacrosse stick hammer things? 

I'd say softball...?

|

I'd say softball...?

Basically, MNOG Koli or MNOGII Kolhii?

I'd say softball...?

Yeah, without the ebola balls.

|

I'd say softball...?

Yeah, without the ebola balls.

Sweet. I'll design a lacrosse stick with a club. What kind of ball to we use?

Set 'er up, then! To make a distinction, I suggest we call the soccer/football MNOG style "Koli" and the lacrosse/hockey MNOGII style "Kolhii".

I'm not a premium member, so someone else here should.

The name differences are unique and okay. The rules would be similar but have small differences. Mainly the size standards and the use of the stick replacing the rules of the hands.

Set 'er up, then! To make a distinction, I suggest we call the soccer/football MNOG style "Koli" and the lacrosse/hockey MNOGII style "Kolhii".

The name differences are unique and okay. The rules would be similar but have small differences. Mainly the size standards and the use of the stick replacing the rules of the hands.

You don't need to be a premium member to create a poll, do you?

I'll create it if you'd like. I'd just like to know what questions you specifically want in the poll, list them off, please, as well as where exactly to post this?

Edited by Forgeta

|

I'll create it if you'd like. I'd just like to know what questions you specifically want in the poll, list them off, please?

First we need to know which version for the tournament. We also need to know if BZP should make a section for Kolhii matches. We need ideas on how to make the kolhii ball, the ideas will be a vote as well

I'll create it if you'd like. I'd just like to know what questions you specifically want in the poll, list them off, please?

First we need to know which version for the tournament. We also need to know if BZP should make a section for Kolhii matches. We need ideas on how to make the kolhii ball, the ideas will be a vote as well

How's this:

1.) Which version of Kolhi would you rather play?

-MNOG

-MNOGII

2.) Should BZP make a section for Kohli games?

-Ye

-Nay

3.) How would one make a Kohli ball?

-Like a softball

-Like a beachball

-Like a soccer ball

|

There's a forum section for event planning, so you could post something there.  I'm not sure how many people would participate, though, since this is an online community and the membership is spread out not just across the country but across the world.

Maybe something could be planned for an existing convention, because travel can be expensive and time-consuming and it'd probably allow more people to participate if they feel inclined.

(Also, most of the rules seem logical except for the ball weight, for one because a ball that heavy probably wouldn't actually be fun to play with, and two because you've made it so that requirement isn't even necessary.  Why not just play with a soccer ball or other sports ball?)

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

Guys, I just realized something. If we play the lacrosse-style one, we'll need shields. Also, here's the official in-universe rules for Kolhii:

From BS01:

1. Teams number more than one but no more than six.
  2. Teams may include any number of players greater than one, but no team will have more players than any other team.
  3. All teams agree to the number of goals needed for victory.
  4. The first team to reach the number of goals agreed is the winner.
  5. All goals are good goals provided they are not own goals, as own goals are not goals.
  6. Each team is allowed one defender who may carry a shield, but no other player may use that shield (other than in cases of 11th rule).
  7. All players may carry one Kolhii staff, and one only.
  8. Any number of Kolhii balls may be played, but balls in play must number less than either the number of teams, or the number of players per team, whichever is the smaller number.
  9. Any player who strikes another player did not play well. Shield and staff strikes are excluded from this rule as those indicate the players are playing well.
  10. Any player who does not play well brings dishonor to their village.
  11. Any pitch invasion by Rahi, or other beasts, postpones the completion of the game until the problem is dealt with.
  • Upvote 2

Guys, I just realized something. If we play the lacrosse-style one, we'll need shields. Also, here's the official in-universe rules for Kolhii:

From BS01:

2. Teams may include any number of players greater than one, but no team will have more players than any other team.
  5. All goals are good goals provided they are not own goals, as own goals are not goals.
  6. Each team is allowed one defender who may carry a shield, but no other player may use that shield (other than in cases of 11th rule).
  8. Any number of Kolhii balls may be played, but balls in play must number less than either the number of teams, or the number of players per team, whichever is the smaller number.
  9. Any player who strikes another player did not play well. Shield and staff strikes are excluded from this rule as those indicate the players are playing well.
  11. Any pitch invasion by Rahi, or other beasts, postpones the completion of the game until the problem is dealt with.

This world needs a new gladiator-like sport.

• Upvote 1

|

From BS01:

Gladiator/hockey/soccer/lacrosse with shields. I like it.

• Upvote 1

From BS01:

Gladiator/hockey/soccer/lacrosse with shields. I like it.

This needs to be a thing.

|

So I guess it's my job to develop the equipment  :P . Would there be any kind of body armor involved? I feel like soccer shin guards would be a good idea, as well as some sort of vambrace to protect the lower arms. Goalie (or Koalie if you like) should probably be more armored. Maybe a helmet and face shield, too? A goalie should also have a special one-armed armor, since the other arm holds a shield. Keep in mind I'm talking about the lacrosse style Kolhii, as normal Koli wouldn't be to different from soccer in terms of gear etc.

• Upvote 1

So I guess it's my job to develop the equipment  :P . Would there be any kind of body armor involved? I feel like soccer shin guards would be a good idea, as well as some sort of vambrace to protect the lower arms. Goalie (or Koalie if you like) should probably be more armored. Maybe a helmet and face shield, too? A goalie should also have a special one-armed armor, since the other arm holds a shield. Keep in mind I'm talking about the lacrosse style Kolhii, as normal Koli wouldn't be to different from soccer in terms of gear etc.

I just feel like people would need as much protection as possible with a sport like this... so yeah, go with all that.

|

Assuming the ball is a little heavier than your typical soccer ball, then there will likely need to be standard soccer attire (cleats, shin guards, ect.). Usually goal-keepers don't wear that much more protection than the players (aside from padded gloves), however since the mass of the object flying at them will be greater, they'll probably need some sort of chest padding that protects the upper and lower torso. They might need a facemask, but that would depend on how heavy the ball is (if it was closer to a bowling ball then yes, but more like a soccer ball then no). 

But remember, the heavier the object means that the shorter distance that it will be kicked. So if the ball is really heavy then that doesn't necessarily mean that the goal-keeper will need to be heavily armored, as it might hinder their mobility and thus their ability to block shots. 

Edited by The Irrational Rock

bZpOwEr

Assuming the ball is a little heavier than your typical soccer ball, then there will likely need to be standard soccer attire (cleats, shin guards, ect.). Usually goal-keepers don't wear that much more protection than the players (aside from padded gloves), however since the mass of the object flying at them will be greater, they'll probably need some sort of chest padding that protects the upper and lower torso. They might need a facemask, but that would depend on how heavy the ball is (if it was closer to a bowling ball then yes, but more like a soccer ball then no). 

But remember, the heavier the object means that the shorter distance that it will be kicked. So if the ball is really heavy then that doesn't necessarily mean that the goal-keeper will need to be heavily armored, as it might hinder their mobility and thus their ability to block shots. 

I guess you're right if you're playing soccer-style Koli. In my mind, I'm imagining playing this with a soccerball-sized medicine ball, so it's probably going to remain groundbound for the most part. So yeah, basically standard soccer gear. When I was talking about the gear, though, I was referring to lacrosse-style Kolhii in which the ball is probably pretty heavy and about the size of a softball. The goalie would definitely want some full body protection if they're going to have softballs flung at them.

In a couple weeks, I'll have a lot of time (summer vacation and all) so I might actually work on developing a Kolhii staff and shield.

• Upvote 1

I guess you're right if you're playing soccer-style Koli. In my mind, I'm imagining playing this with a soccerball-sized medicine ball, so it's probably going to remain groundbound for the most part. So yeah, basically standard soccer gear. When I was talking about the gear, though, I was referring to lacrosse-style Kolhii in which the ball is probably pretty heavy and about the size of a softball. The goalie would definitely want some full body protection if they're going to have softballs flung at them.

In a couple weeks, I'll have a lot of time (summer vacation and all) so I might actually work on developing a Kolhii staff and shield.

I'll be sure to hang around this thread, I can't wait to see what they look like! 

bZpOwEr

I'll be sure to hang around this thread, I can't wait to see what they look like! 

Totally gonna keep checking up here to see the progress.

|

Does anyone here have suggestions on stuff? My biggest problem I think is going to be the hammer/club part. What would be practical to use for that? Right now I'm thinking just a refined block of wood, a la croquet mallet.

So I guess it's my job to develop the equipment :P . Would there be any kind of body armor involved? I feel like soccer shin guards would be a good idea, as well as some sort of vambrace to protect the lower arms. Goalie (or Koalie if you like) should probably be more armored. Maybe a helmet and face shield, too? A goalie should also have a special one-armed armor, since the other arm holds a shield. Keep in mind I'm talking about the lacrosse style Kolhii, as normal Koli wouldn't be to different from soccer in terms of gear etc.

Does anyone here have suggestions on stuff? My biggest problem I think is going to be the hammer/club part. What would be practical to use for that? Right now I'm thinking just a refined block of wood, a la croquet mallet.

I would say iron would work best. Iron or steel. Hammer shaped. One side flat for direct shots. The other side a curved pick so the ball can be redirected mid-air by using the curve in the pick.

I would say iron would work best. Iron or steel. Hammer shaped. One side flat for direct shots. The other side a curved pick so the ball can be redirected mid-air by using the curve in the pick.

That would be pretty unwieldy. Plus, I'm not a metalsmith, so I really have no way of doing that. By curved pick, do you mean like a pickaxe or like a hammer with the two prongs? Another thing to put on the other side would be a hockey stick-like paddle to just dribble the ball.

I might just look up how to make a wooden mallet and stick it on the other end of the shaft. I'm not afraid of a wooden club breaking or anything, since wooden golf clubs work very well.

As for the scoop, I was thinking of getting a relatively strong piece of metal (maybe a cylindrical rod) and bending it into shape, and then laying one strip of nice thick sheet metal across the bottom. Not only would it make the scoop lighter, but it would allow air to pass through.

Edited by Toa Vanson

I see steel being put out as an idea for equipment material, and I just want everyone to know that steel is really heavy.  Forget the ball, even just trying to swing a steel hammer anywhere near someone else is a recipe for disaster.

There's a reason a lot of sports equipment is wood or plastic or special composite, and that's because they're all reasonably strong and a lot lighter

My suggestion: foam.  Lots of foam.  Dense foam ball and sticks with big foam heads that have something like this on the other end.  No need to worry about too much padding because you'd be playing with foam, making it much easier to handle and way less likely to hurt someone.  And also because making high-end sports equipment from scratch will cost a lot of money, whereas foam is cheaper and much easier (and safer) to work with.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 5

OpAXNpl.jpg

That would be pretty unwieldy. Plus, I'm not a metalsmith, so I really have no way of doing that. By curved pick, do you mean like a pickaxe or like a hammer with the two prongs? Another thing to put on the other side would be a hockey stick-like paddle to just dribble the ball.

I might just look up how to make a wooden mallet and stick it on the other end of the shaft. I'm not afraid of a wooden club breaking or anything, since wooden golf clubs work very well.

As for the scoop, I was thinking of getting a relatively strong piece of metal (maybe a cylindrical rod) and bending it into shape, and then laying one strip of nice thick sheet metal across the bottom. Not only would it make the scoop lighter, but it would allow air to pass through.

Alright, so not iron or steel.

I mean like a pickaxe. But the underside curved. Also dribbling the ball isn't really something done in kolhii.

The scoop sounds like a nice idea, I approve :)

• Upvote 2