The Giant Mosquito...

So this is a MOC I made a while back. I had posted it on the old forums, but only got a couple replies.I had made it for the creepy crawlies BBC contest, but I couldn't join in time. It was a lot of fun, I tried to make it as realistic as possible.img_2914.jpegClick for the Brickshelf gallery.C&C is appreciated.On another note, I'm perfectly aware that I have committed the heinous crime of mixing grey and bley, but after several studies, I have concluded that they are both "officially" the same (I can give evidence), so it my book it's perfectly acceptable. As long as it's good in theory, it's good with me...that doesn't sound right :huh:Anyways, thanks in advance.

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Thanks! I was a little disappointed by the way the legs looked, too, but I try to keep my MOCs as solid and flexible as possible. I was actually going to put connectors at the last joints in the legs instead of ball joints, but I couldn't find enough. I was really hoping to enter the contest, but it doesn't really matter. I would change my MOC with your suggestions, but it's been scrapped. Needed the parts for more...important MOCs :P=)

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

Thanks again guys. The legs were actually surprisingly stable, we could even stand it on two legs (the bottom part bent so it was like a foot), but I know what you mean Presto. Glad I managed to creep you guys out :P I was hoping that I would be able to find something other than all the grey, but for some reason it just wouldn't show up.=)

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

• 2 weeks later...

Disturbing ...But I think that's the idea you were going for. That's about the actual size of the mosquitos in Minnesota and Alaska, too. You need a blood transfusion everytime you walk outside.And that flying pose ... ugh ... looks just like the real thing.Despite how much I loathe the things, great job on the work and accuracy!

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

-----------------------------------------

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

I'm not much of a MOCer, so I don't think I could give any constructive critisism so to speak. However, I'll let you know what I think anyways.I love how you capture the distintive features of a mosquito. The thin legs and wings, the arched back, the amssive stinger. It is incrediblly easy to draw comparisons between the MOC and its real life counterpart. One thing I love is the use of the trans-blue Ruru which were used in the Nui-rama, Bionicle's equivalent of a mosquito. It has nostalgic value. I also admire the MOC's simplicity. It does not seem complicated but still very pleasant to the eye. Maybe you should incorporate some red tubes here and there to show the transport or movment of blood it has sucked up?Overall, I love this MOC. Well done!

About the greys... You say you can give evedince... So let's see some. :annoyed: :spank:

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.

@Reya, you said you can't give CC...but you just did! If I wasn't in the process of disassembling this, I would certainly have added the red tubes. that would have looked awesome! Next time I make a mosquito (if ever), I will certainly do that.@kopaka, I figured this out a few years back, when my art teacher brought an unopened Rahkshi for me. This was in 2007 I think. Anyway, I opened it, and was pleased to find that the grey more resembled this "bley". By now though, all the grey parts in Rahkshs I had gotten in the past were plain old grey. This Rahkshi was made in 2003, same as all the others, meaning that the materials used should be the same as all the other Rahkshi, yet it had bley parts. This is when I made the theory that over time, bley becomes grey. Kind of like how parchment yellows. I believe that the parts from this Rahkshi have become grey by now. Also, I have not seen a single "grey" Lego piece in all this time that I have been purchasing Lego sets.An alternative could be that Lego used to use grey pieces, but just changed the quality of the grey plastic, that way even if the parts way back in, say, 2003 looked bley they could have slowly faded to grey, and when Lego realized that, they changed the quality so it would look fresh forever. I had more evidence, but I just can't think right now. Maybe I'll edit it in if I ever remember.So there you have it. =)

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

@Reya, you said you can't give CC...but you just did! If I wasn't in the process of disassembling this, I would certainly have added the red tubes. that would have looked awesome! Next time I make a mosquito (if ever), I will certainly do that.

All you would have to do is replace the silver Zamor Spheres in the abdomen with red ones, if you have those colors. I think I have just one, so I don't know if red ones are a misprint or just a rare color.

pony_herd_really_tiny.png

In the meantime, you shall be loved and tolerated.

I am both Toa Mata Nui and Dragonfly the Luminescent

• 2 weeks later...

The use of red Zamor Spheres in the abdomen is a great idea, I originally wanted to do that, however at the time I didn't have them in that colour. The closest I have now are the fiery balls from HF.Don't worry Zahorum, I've got him (or her?) locked up in the basement, not to mention the distance between us (assuming you don't live in the same town as you).=)

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

I'd try to calm Zarohum down if I wasn't cowering behind him, offering him up as a sacrifice to the mosquito in the hope that it will then spare my life. That thing is creepy! Way too realistic for my comfort...nah, just kidding. I would never serve Zarohum up to an insectoid foe http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/fear.gif - Wait, there isn't anything like this in real life, right?There isn't really a whole lot for me to say here other than it's just so frighteningly realistic there isn't anything major to improve. The red zamors would have been cool had you had them back when you made this, but seeing as you didn't, that wasn't an option. The zamor-holder abdomen was an ingenious idea in general....and about the mosquitoes in Alaska and Minnesota: I've been to both states. When I was in Minnesota, I saw a keychain at a tourist shop with an image of a mosquito on it, reading "[a native mosquito specie's scientific name], the state bird of Minnesota." Just as a note, the biggest ones I've ever seen weren't in Minnesota, but in Alaska. :evilgrin:

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for not offering Zahorum to the mosquito, it would've been bad publicity n'all, and nobody wants that :P. I feel bad for anybody who stumbled across the Minnesota state bird :fear: And the Alaskan mosquitos....yeesh. And I'm the person who likes mosquitos.=)

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad

• 1 month later...

I had more evidence, but I just can't think right now. Maybe I'll edit it in if I ever remember.So there you have it. =)

No need. I have just enough evidence. "The verdict the jury has decided upon is... Not guilty, My Lord." (<--That has nothing to do with religion!) Edited by kopaka's kool kompanion

My Brickshelf, my Tumblr (it's not as bad as it sounds)
Current collection:
2001: 
Matoro, Onepu, Maku, Onua, Pohatu, Tahu, Lewa
2002: Tahnok, Gahlok, Lehvak, Tahnok-Va, Kohrak-Va, Gahlok-Va, Pahrak-Va, Kopaka Nuva, Gali Nuva, Lewa Nuva
2003: Panrahk, Guurahk, Turahk, Kurahk
2004: Bordakh (X2), Rorzakh, Vorzakh, Matau, Whenua

2005: Oohnorak, Rahaga Iruini, Rahagah Norik
2006: Dalu, Velika, Vezok, Reidak, Vezon and Fenrakk

2007Dekar, Defilak, Morak, Takadox
2008: Gorast, Rockoh T3, Axalara T9
2009Tarduk, Skrall, Tarix, Malum, Gresh, Mata Nui, Vastus, Stronius, Tuma, Fero and Skirmix, Baranus V7, Kaxium V3, Cendox V1, Thornatus V9
2010: Tahu

2015: Kopaka, Pohatu, Lewa, Vizuna, Skull Basher

2016: Tahu
Throwbot/Slizer collection:
1999: Torch/Fire, Scuba/Sub, Ski/Ice, Turbo/City, Amazon/Jungle, Granite/Rock, Electro/Energy, Jet/Judge
2000: Blaster, Millennium/Millennia, Flare, Spark

Star Wars Collectible Figures: Death Trooper, Sergeant Jyn Erso, K-2SO, Baze Malbus

I also have the Onyx Roborider and Jimi Stinger froBreakout.