The Official Minecraft Topic

Oil does exist. Does this thing actually behave like a liquid?Meanwhile, I'm thinking of making a separate Technic thing that stays with the old version so I can play my old world. Any help in doing so (precise instructions!) would be much appreciated.If that isn't possible, I'm just going to go with the new version. I can probably do things in a much more organized fashion (though I am going to miss the start I'd made on the Magellan Archives, which was to be the most secure building in the world, capable of withstanding a nuclear blast, and with a massive map of the known world covering the floor. I'll just have to do that again later once I've built a more streamlined version of Archimedes Base [my first home in any Technic run. First Nether base is to be Tartarus Base, with other base-names derived from the purpose and/or location of the base].Also, and most importantly, ostriches.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So far as I know, you can't keep an old version of Technic to play separately.

voidstars.png

1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Okay then. Deleting my old world, moving on to the new version. This will allow me to better organize my stuff, though the disappearance of my favored basement decoration is disappointing - as is the loss of my Klein Star Omega.I loaded up my Nuke Test world to see if the update would cause problems. It definitely would. (Speaking of which, Red/Dark Matter are absolutely terrible materials for shielding a nuclear reactor. They stay intact, but the blast goes straight through them. Go with Reinforced Stone, two layers thick at the least, with water surrounding the reactor itself.Also, I noticed that the Boss mob spawners are now missing from the NEI interface. Is Better Dungeons now missing along with Millenaire?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Wow, even normal Minecraft dungeons are epic in Technic! Got some vis crystals and something called a "pickaxe of the core", along with a TON of random research items.Speaking of which, how should I start researching things? Is there a crystal of a particular color I should start with? How many bookshelves should I set up?

Me: *has idea*

Blade: "I'd say too convoluted, and I know too convoluted =P"

"Dangit, I shouldn't have gotten ambitious."

--Merc, RE: our plotting

Pokémon Rise of the Rockets Profiles: LINK

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Err, how do I set Waypoints in the new Technic build? I found an Eldritch Monolith (seed: Kadath spawns you in a taiga bordering plains and a desert, and there's a Monolith in the desert) and would like to mark it.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Press 'c'. They changed some keys around.Flipz; I wouldn't suggest crystals for research material. Use books, they're relatively cheap once you get a farm and a transmutation tablet set up. And put the bookshelves in a 5x5 square three high around the Q.

Edited by Game Master Alex Humva

voidstars.png

"In short, my English Lit friend, living in a mental world of absolute rights and wrongs, may be imagining that because all theories are wrong, the earth may be thought spherical now, but cubical next century, and a hollow icosahedron the next, and a doughnut shape the one after." -Isaac Asimov, responding to a letter he had received saying that scientific certainty was false, The Relativity of Wrong

Roger that, I also found the button for the general MiniMap settings. It's a little more cumbersome, I guess, but it works.Also, what is SensorNet?Meanwhile, first night in my new Technic world. I built a dirt hut to spend the night in, and have no bed. The dirt hut will eventually become the core - the habitation center - of Archimedes Base. This will include chests for storing food, a bed, and substantial security measures.EDIT: Also apparently Wisps still exist? Just saw what looks like a visually-improved version of one flitting outside of my little dugout.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Flipz; I wouldn't suggest crystals for research material. Use books, they're relatively cheap once you get a farm and a transmutation tablet set up. And put the bookshelves in a 5x5 square three high around the Q.
OK. I want the recipe for the crystal bell thing (the one that lets you harvest crystals without breaking them), and the wiki says it requires a vis crystal to be successful. I'll research with a few books first, and then stick one of my "oops" crystals in there to try and get the bell. ;-)
Meanwhile, first night in my new Technic world. I built a dirt hut to spend the night in, and have no bed. The dirt hut will eventually become the core - the habitation center - of Archimedes Base. This will include chests for storing food, a bed, and substantial security measures.EDIT: Also apparently Wisps still exist? Just saw what looks like a visually-improved version of one flitting outside of my little dugout.
My house is just an extension of the pine plank wall I used to stop the progress of the Taint. :-P I'm slowly expanding, though, hopefully I'll have a basic outbuilding for machinery soon. In the meantime, though: electric furnaces are AWESOME. :-D

3DS FC: 3625-9584-9417 (Pokemon X Friend Safari: Electric-type, Pachirisu, Electabuzz, Zebstrika)

Electric furnaces are great. In my pre-update Technic world, I had four machines hooked up to an MV Solar Array, and the furnace was the second most-used one.My main concern is just the fact that I'm going to have to put my Thaumic research station away from my main base, for security concerns. My main base will have a single-ledge wall to keep things from climbing the wall to get in, but Lovecraft Base is going to need a double-ledge wall so nothing can get out, either. Heavy security measures - possibly even Tesla coils, certainly aggressively-inclined symbols with redstone runes - will have to keep hostile mobs out of the facility itself, with the courtyard serving as a containment facility.So, planned buildings - Archimedes Base (Industrial, Alchemical, Habitation), Lovecraft Base (Thaumic), Magellan Archives (world map).

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Me, my home is whatever materials I have on hand and whatever modules I need to add for more functionality.

voidstars.png

Mine starts that way - last time it was a giant rubber tree, this time it's a dirt hut - but I always, inevitably, gravitate towards obsidian for the primary building material for my home, and this time I'm planning on organizing my expansion of my home to a greater degree.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So far, I've found a ton of resources in my caves...but not one diamond. <_< If this keeps up, I'm going down to Level 10 and just branch mining, abusing the divining rod along the way.

Honestly, once I got the Philosopher's Stone, I stopped using the Divining Rod. Saving wear on mining tools doesn't matter when you can just turn the stone to dirt and remove it by hand....Actually, I did manage to weaponize the Stone against Blazes in sandstone ruins. Turned it up to its highest setting, alchemized the ceiling, bringing a ton of gravel down on the poor sods.Basically, once you get a diamond, some redstone, and some glowstone, carry the Philosopher's Stone with you everywhere. You can turn water to ice, lava to obsidian... quite versatile.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Oh, I PLAN to abuse the Philosopher's Stone, problem is I need to build one first, and that takes diamond. :-/

Yeah, that first diamond is probably the hardest thing. I'm having less trouble getting cinnabar ore... problem is that I have no need for it at the moment.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Whew, thank goodness for the Compressor! It took a full stack of coal dust, but I finally have my Diamond. Now to make a Philosopher's Stone!EDIT: What's the best height to place a Nether Portal for easy and safe glowstone access? I always seem to spawn either on an island high above the lava sea (with no land in sight) or else in a cavern underneath said sea.

Edited by Flipz

I usually do it within ten blocks of overworld ground-level, but I'm not too sure if that method is entirely foolproof.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Got around to starting a new world, spawned right next to a natural taint spot. Crafted myself a stone pickaxe as quickly as possible then ran the heck out of there as far as I could. Spent a couple of minecraft days mining below my hole-in-the-ground home, only to discover on my first exploration trip around the biome that there was another natural taint spot quite nearby...Its been ages since I've used Thaumcraft 2, and I never ran into natural taint spots back then. What can I do to contain the spread?

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

Got around to starting a new world, spawned right next to a natural taint spot. Crafted myself a stone pickaxe as quickly as possible then ran the heck out of there as far as I could. Spent a couple of minecraft days mining below my hole-in-the-ground home, only to discover on my first exploration trip around the biome that there was another natural taint spot quite nearby...Its been ages since I've used Thaumcraft 2, and I never ran into natural taint spots back then. What can I do to contain the spread?
Wall off the area with wood planks and/or cobblestone--Taint can only spread to visible surface blocks. Make sure ALL surfaces of the natural blocks are covered, though--Taint can spread diagonally to other blocks, and will spread under your wall if the sides of the blocks under the wall are visible. ;-) Be sure to extend the wall underwater as well--it spreads gleefully down there. You'll also want to make a trip into any caves in the region, try to wall off the Taint before it can extend too far underground--it destroys Iron, Coal, Gold, and Diamond ores, and I think it'll eat Nicolite as well, which will deprive you of resources. Most IndustrialCraft resources are unaffected, though, so they're easy to spot in Taint-infested tunnels.EDIT: Equivalent Exchange plus Macerator FTW! A simple mushroom farm (a 9x9x10 room with a dirt floor works nicely) can be used to generate infinite EMC, albeit at a rather slow rate. One mushroom is worth 32 EMC, and a typical bonemeal-grown mushroom drops around 10-12 mushrooms when destroyed. Put enough together, and you can transmute them to bones, then macerate the bones for 2 extra bonemeal (the EMC rates for bones and bonemeal are set based on the vanilla bonemeal recipe). Repeat ad nauseum!To get these into diamonds, the easiest conversion I was able to do was Mushrooms --> wood --> wood planks (crafting) --> clay --> clay blocks (crafting). From there, two stacks of clay blocks can be burned for one diamond. It's a lot of work, but worth it--I barely have to walk outside, and I can build up EMC at a reasonable rate while I continue to build up my base.EDIT 2: Actually, upon further calculation, each huge mushroom you grow is worth just more than an iron ingot apiece; 8 mushrooms can be transmuted into 1 iron ingot, with the excess "paying" for the cost of the bone/bonemeal. Edited by Flipz

An area of tainted earth. Big mess, Thaumcraft run amok, quite unpleasant to deal with. I've found two - one in the Nether. Planning on containing the one in the Overworld next time I go that way. Might even put in some effort to cauterize the infection once I get a Destruction Catalyst.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

So, after learning about the Technic pack about a week ago, I finally took the plunge and installed it. I've got to say, all these new technologies and items have really made minecraft interesting to me again. I've only been playing for a few hours, but I already have some generators, electric furnaces, extractors, and macerators, along with about a bazillion ores of every kind. However, I've been hesitant about diving into the world of Thaumcraft, as I read something on the wiki about taint spreading if I mined too many vis crystals. For those who are more knowledgable, does this just apply to caves with huge clusters (which I haven't found yet), or also average caves with only the occasional crystal here or there?

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

You can safely mine the crystals, from what I understand. It's just using them that's the problem.

voidstars.png

bzzztWrong. Mining them with a pickaxe does create a small amount of taint. Use the Crystalline Bell to harvest them, once you have one.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

bzzztWrong. Mining them with a pickaxe does create a small amount of taint. Use the Crystalline Bell to harvest them, once you have one.
And as an added bonus, it makes it possible to build crystal farms that are in one spot (as opposed to having to mine through the whole map to find more crystals).Do note that you have to mine some crystals in order to get started, but it won't take TOO many. You can also raid dungeon chests and kill wisps to get them.Hey, remember what I said earlier about using huge mushrooms to get infinite EMC? Well, there's an even better way: Macerate bones, transmute bonemeal to new bones, repeat. You can make HUGE profits this way, just be sure not to macerate more than 12 bones at a time unless you have a means of auto-harvesting them. Speaking of which: how would one go about automatically storing items to chests? I can't seem to figure it out.

I suggest an obsidian pipe and a chest. The obsidian pipe will suck in items and deposit them into the chest. It's effective range is dependent on how good of an engine it's tied to, but a redstone one should suffice.

voidstars.png

I'm still not trying to get involved in ThaumCraft until Archimedes Base has been fully established, but that hasn't stopped me from making an Artifact Storage room to keep the TC stuff out of my other chests. Artifact Storage is, for the moment, a dumpy little cobble room directly above Nether Access.Today's work will consist chiefly of getting the Industrial Complex built, first with a basic compartmentalized shell-building, and then with some proper work into getting a power supply in there. I am, as before, planning on chiefly using solar power at Archimedes Base, but I'm going to have my machines in clusters of four identical machines, to boost efficiency.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Meanwhile, I've been pondering moving my base to new fruitful areas; about 600m north, where there's a high vis aura area. I'm currently gathering materials to begin preliminary construction and get a storage depot going, that way I can start transporting stuff en mass. I could use an organized base.

voidstars.png

See, I don't plan on having just one single base. A single base means that a single catastrophic accident is sufficient to wipe your presence off the map. Thaumic accidents will be isolated from nuclear accidents which will be isolated from electrical accidents which will be nestled up nice and close, I suppose, to basic alchemy, which seems to be the least accident-prone thing I've got.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

My new base is going be a serious of modulars, both above and below ground. Each modular will have levels running all the way to bedrock, which for now will just have rail systems for inter-module transport, but eventually have portals crafted for them.

voidstars.png

Series, and units in a modular system are called modules.I don't have any particular reason for Archimedes Base to reach bedrock. Not really.EDIT: I have recently been reading up on Mystcraft. Hmm. It appears that my order of progress in terms of building infrastructure will have to be IC->EE->TC->MC. I don't want to meddle too much in other worlds until I've got what I need in the first one - and even then, not until I can quickly plop down a base with proper supplies in the new world, just as soon as I get there.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I've been making small buildings for each major moderator type and constructing tunnels to connect them beneath. All of the basic stuff will be contained in one area. Anything accident prone like a Nuclear reactor will be placed further away, but it'll be quite some time before I have to do that.I'm working on creating a relay and a condenser to mass produce obsidian, to wall off the area, so I can mark the boundaries for this specific territory. In the meantime, my energy collector is turning coal into mobius fuel to create my destruction catatyslt.

CrazyFace-Copy.jpg

Even when trapped by Karma's cycle, the dreams we left behind will open the door! Even if the universe stands in our way,

our seething blood will determine what will be! We'll break through time and space, and defy all who would stop us to take hold of our path!

~

You can do that pretty quickly with a philosopher's stone, turning coal to mobius fuel.I'm building three complexes; store depot, then tech room, and magic room. I want to connect them with rails so I can go from them quickly. The store will be a longhouse (already built), then the other two will be towers. Eventually I'll build forcechunk loading seals to make sure they all stay active.

voidstars.png

It's better with an Energy Collector, because then you turn one piece of coal into one piece of Mobius Fuel.Right now I'm building only Archimedes Base. This will include an Industrial Complex with six MV Solar Arrays. Five of them will have four machines each (Furnaces, Macerators, Compressors, Extractors, Recyclers), while the last one will have one Mass Fabricator. There is also the habitation unit, which is very simple, and is connected directly to Artifact Storage, which is also simple but will be full of chests. Artifact Storage has stairs down to Nether Access, which is obvious. Behind Habitation there is a sugar cane farm. At some point I intend to add a Rubber farm, Enchanting library, and an alchemy set-up.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Thanks for answering my question, guys. I guess I'll have to start gathering crystals! In the meantime, I have another problem. I've been maxing out my tier one tech, adding solar panels and what not, but when I decided to start hooking up my battery boxes to an MFE, I found I was unable to get power to flow from the former devices into the latter. Here's a screenshot of my current setup:mfe-trouble1.png(Note: there are tin cables concealed behind the battery box that run out into the solar panel on my roof. I sucessfully hooked them up some time ago and had my battery boxes maxing out on solar energy. Also, to clarify the details you can't see, the MFE output and the high voltage transformer output are connected with that gold cables, and the battery box's output and the one of the low voltage transformer outputs are connected with the copper cables. This is apparently the correct setup according to a tutorial I found, but I've also tried having the gold cable run into one of the MFE's input faces, with no success.)

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

You see that orange dot on the BatBoxes?That's where the output is.WhaaaatThose are LV transformershurr durr ignore me

Edited by Game Master Alex Humva

voidstars.png

As Battery Boxes belong to RedPower and MFEs belong to IndustrialCraft, I'm not entirely sure that the two are compatible.Are you using the flat RedPower solar panels or the boxy IndustrialCraft solar panels?

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Erm, I definitely know that IndustrialCraft is the one with the battery boxes. I can give you the wiki link if you want. But yeah, it'd make sense if he's mixing Redpower Bluetricity and IndustrialCraft EC together that it wouldn't work.

voidstars.png

IndustrialCraft has the BatBox, which is rather different from the Battery Box. Since the solar panels weren't pictured, I wasn't entirely sure what was going on, so I went with the one that matched the name given.If the thing on the right is the BatBox, then yes, you need the cable placed so it connects to the output slot.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom