Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

I'm sure at least a few people here have heard of the recently-exploded-in-popularity-on-blogging-platform anime Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan). I absolutely love it, which is pretty abnormal for me since I've never gotten into anime.

Warning in advance for those who have not seen it, and are planning on doing so: There's a nice amount of blood in it, so if you're disturbed by that sort of thing, I'd suggest staying away from it.

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

So I finished Sword Art Online. I guess it was...okay. Definitely more of a a fan of the first half. The second was way too incesty and everything Sugou did was wrong. Also the music did a complete 180 in quality, so that wasn't great.

AXKP5KC.png

Trailer to the new Gatchaman movie is out. Looks pretty rad, but I adore Gatchaman anyway.

On the note of Gatchaman, I read the epilogue manga to Chojin Sentai Jetman last night, 'Choujin Sentai Jetman: Time Flies'. It was terrible, and that's even with my fanboy goggles for Jetman on. Don't bother with it.

Started watching Kannazuki no Miko, which is a bland yuri and a bland mech series. Plan on getting back to LoGH, Galient, and God Mazinger sometime soon, same with reading Berserk and JoJo.

hElbrZ6.gif

I was originally expecting DeSu 2 to go the game's "absolute worst-case scenario" route with only Hibiki, Daichi, Airi, and Hinako left (as those four are the only ones who can't die in the game), but it just kept on getting more and more different from the game, so I kinda stopped expecting that, and then

Hinako and Airi's deaths

caught me kind of off-guard. Of course, I was kinda dissapointed that Yamato didn't die, since I would've preferred a Hibiki/Daichi/Io Vs. Polaris battle than a Hibiki Vs. Yamato battle to end off the series, and I'm kinda disappointed that it looks like there won't be a Polaris battle, since he's kinda the game's final boss.

Anyways, Hibiki better not just use Byakko, it's insanely overpowered in the anime. It's a 30-ish level demon, which is probably not even midgame, and it's outclassed by nearly everything after the midgame point, unless you grind it's levels like crazy. Make him summon something awesome and crazy powerful, like Metatron, Lucifer, or even Alice. Or maybe just skip the whole demon-summoning thing and just have Hibiki and Yamato go at it. I wouldn't mind seeing Hibiki tossing a few Megidolaons in Yamato's face.

Oh, and here's my guess as to how the series ends:

Hibiki absolutely PWNS Yamato, and then he has a little chat with Polaris (maybe even a short battle), and then time gets rewound to the Sunday before, and things go on as they would have, just minus the Septentrion invasion. Oh, and everyone's alive and they all live happily ever after, and Yamato's twin sister doesn't get any screentime. THE END.

And now since I'm done going over all the differences between the Anime and the game, on to other, more important things.

Need to get to watching Attack on Titan soon, life kas kept me from having time to start any anime right now.

Also, is anyone watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet? That was one I wanted to see, but I just never got around to it, is it any good?

And, anyone know what they're going to be watching over the summer season? I was kinda dissapointed that Sailor Moon got pushed back, but that means I'll just be starting with two shows, Rozen Maiden and Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, and hopefully I'll be up to speed with AoT enough in a few weeks to start watching it's simulcast, too.

Also, is anyone watching Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet? That was one I wanted to see, but I just never got around to it, is it any good?

I'd say it's one of the best shows of this season. Apparently Urobuchi only wrote the script for the first and last episodes so I don't think it's as solid as it could be (and unsurprisingly less tragic) but it's still a very good show and I'm anxious to see how it wraps up.

And, anyone know what they're going to be watching over the summer season? I was kinda dissapointed that Sailor Moon got pushed back, but that means I'll just be starting with two shows, Rozen Maiden and Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, and hopefully I'll be up to speed with AoT enough in a few weeks to start watching it's simulcast, too.

It's still up in the air on which shows will be simulcasted or not but I'm fairly certain I'll be watching:

-Monogatari Series: Second Season

-Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya

-The World God Only Knows: Goddess Arc

-Watamote

-Silver Spoon

-Free!

Those are the shows I want to watch, at least. And of course, I'll continue watching Railgun S and AoT.

I have just aquired the first Manga volume of Evangelion

My HSQuotient(TvTropes term) has exploded.

I need that second book.

And over summer I will be watching AoT, finishing Gurren Lagann and A Certain Magical Index, and maybe watching Baccano! and Durarara!!

And reading Eva/Soul Eater

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

So since finishing SAO I've started watching Baccano! (Along with the three others I'm watching) It's rather too gory at parts, and I'm fully aware it'll get much more so down the road, but I have to say I like it. The characters are rather charming even four episodes in. Isaac and Miria are the beeeeeeest.

AXKP5KC.png

Well, DeSu2 definitely had a good ending. Pretty much nailed what I thought it would be.

So, they didn't get to the humans using any skills, but thy did do demon fusion, and as soon as I saw Metatron get fused, I knew that Hibiki would fuse Lucifer, so that was cool. Would've liked more of a Lucifer vs. Satan battle, but I guess that's the one part of the game they got straight: Lucifer is the most powerful demon. Anyways, after that, everyone is alive and they all live happily ever after, Hibiki, Daichi, and Io become friends, and Hibiki is the only one who remembers the Seven Days.

And been slowly watching Evangelion, and the main difference between the original anime and Rebuild isn't the story, but the fact that the original anime absolutely bleeds 90's.

and the original Eva has a horrid dub. Honestly, completly unwatchable.

I just noticed that, but I think the bad dub is part of what makes it so good. I find myself laughing at some of the badly-dubbed lines, and i'm remembering why I liked the series before the last few episodes.

Also, I got my 50th manga volume today! Puella Magi Kazumi Magica: The Innocent Malice, Volume 1. Completely forgot how hilarious it was before it turned into a gory version of Madoka.

I can't watch NGE with the original audio cuz I saw it dubbed first and watching it in Japanese is too weird. Also Kensuke's English dub voice is too dreamy to pass up. Too bad it's someone different in Rebuild T_T

Honestly I don't think Eva's dub is as bad as people make it out to be. It was a little rough in the beginning but after a few episodes it's fine. Another great thing about Eva is unlike today's anime dubs, it's not made up of people you hear in literally every other dub

Just saw episode 5&6 of Attack on Titan...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

And Mikasa owns, but still, the fith episode is mostly audience screams.

I also think that this anime has the biggest named character body count I have ever seen.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

Bleach's biggest fault is that it's an extremely long-running manga, and Kubo is the master of drawing things out (I think Kubo forgot that Kenpachi's Zanpakuto was about to reveal its name- about three months ago). You don't read it by chapters, you read it by volumes if you want to get anywhere. Only reason I'm still following it is that it was one of my first manga series, and I got caught up with the series when it was around 300 chapters, follow it on a weekly basis in Weekly Shonen Jump, and if you look at the whole thing, the story isn't too bad. It's good if you don't mind reading about 600 chapters to get caught up.

I've made the personal decision never to pursue any series that have more than about 100 episodes. I mean, I'm sure the manga--if it's based off of a manga--isn't that bad but I don't really read manga (which is something I'd like to change but haven't gotten around to yet). I have a hard time finishing 13-episode-long series at times, so I feel like it would be impossible to follow a show for hundreds of episodes. And, to be honest, I really like it when a series ends. Of course there have been series where I didn't want it to end but an ending is such a good way to round out any good story. So I don't think I could ever get into anything that felt like it never ends.

Aside from that, in other news the director of Railgun S announced that once the Sisters Arc is over the second half of the anime is going to be focusing on an original story during a summer vacation.

Here's an excerpt from the interview:

99175251dc885a4df242404673f966751372409429_full.png

I kind of liked the serious tone that Railgun has had recently so we'll see how this goes. However, the lighter atmosphere that the first season had is something that I've been longing for so as long as it's good then I won't complain.

So more Railgun filler? Greaaaaaaaaaat. (<The sarcasm)

Yeah, I was a little disappointed too but I guess they don't have much of a choice because the Daihasesai Arc in the manga isn't even done yet. They probably could've just made this season one cour long so they wouldn't have to add filler... but where would be the fun in that? :P And, to be shamelessly honest, I don't mind pointless slice of life styled filler. I wonder what they will be getting up to during summer vacation...

Also, from that interview they made it sound like they're going to remake the fight between Touma and Accelerator, so at least we have that to look forward to.

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

and the original Eva has a horrid dub. Honestly, completly unwatchable.

I'm gonna totally be totally be that guy right now, but why is it terrible exactly?

Also, I'm indifferent to the latest season of hayate the combat butler. I want the old hayate back. :(

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

I have just begun watching Monster and am up to ep10. Absolutely loving it.

Also jojo's bizarre adventure is so intimidating its manga's been running from 1987 has anyone here read it?

I started, but stopped for no real reason, but I should start again. I really liked it.

The voices are totally out-of-sync.

*Character yells something*

*sound plays after his mouth shuts or the scene changes*

That's uh... weird. you sure that not just some weird desync? never happened when I watched it, that I remember.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

I have just begun watching Monster and am up to ep10. Absolutely loving it.

Also jojo's bizarre adventure is so intimidating its manga's been running from 1987 has anyone here read it?

I've been reading it on and off.

It really is worth the read.

hElbrZ6.gif

The voices are totally out-of-sync.*Character yells something**sound plays after his mouth shuts or the scene changes*

The only time I noticed that was in the beginning of episode 2, at first I thought it was a problem with the playback, but that's just the way the scene is.Anyways, the main reason I see the Eva dub as "bad" is that it just isn't as professional as modern dubs, there are some discrepancies in voice acting, and I doubt Kensuke's voice would pass in an audition nowadays (but he's still my favorite male character- and I really like his voice). But, even though it isn't really professional, it's still so much better than the Japanese, which I can't watch. It just isn't as good as the English, IMO.

Calling it the original seems odd, seeing as how it didn't really follow the original story.I've only seen Brotherhood though, so I wouldn't know. Really sucks that Netflix took it off instant. Their anime selection right now is downright pitiful.

AXKP5KC.png