Anime General Thread (Official)

Hodor

The original FMA is... well, becomes a trainwreck halfway in. It's still enjoyable, though.

Personally I enjoyed both takes on to story and thought it was interesting how the first anime diverged into a different storyline. I definitely don't think it was a trainwreck by any stretch of the imagination.

But at the same time I watched brotherhood later so maybe I have a soft spot for the original anime...

Link to my comic :D

To anyone contacting me, I'm of to Uni soon so I might take time to respond.

Well, I finally got around to watching Gurren Lagann because I've been saving it and...

I am amazed. The way the show evolved and blew past my expectations still leaves me shocked, to say the least. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it at first, but halfway through I started to get into it more and by the end I was absolutely in love with everything about it.

Definitely in my Top 5 Favorite Anime.

Really sucks that Netflix took it off instant. Their anime selection right now is downright pitiful.

Netflix's anime selection is nothing compared to what it used to be. It has 62 titles, I've seen 5 of those and might watch about 5-10 others, and they've also been taking things down (I was looking for Elfen Lied again and it's gone!). Not too surprised, since Funimation and Viz have their own subscription-based services (although Neon Alley is horrible, IMO), and there's also Crunchyroll and Hulu.

It's kinda disappointing, though, since Netflix has such a wide variety of everything else besides anime, and I really don't want to pay for a second subscription. At least Funimation and Hulu have a lot of free stuff.

Well, I finally got around to watching Gurren Lagann because I've been saving it and...

I am amazed. The way the show evolved and blew past my expectations still leaves me shocked, to say the least. I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it at first, but halfway through I started to get into it more and by the end I was absolutely in love with everything about it.

Definitely in my Top 5 Favorite Anime.

Funny, I hated the second half.

the final episode of hayate aired today, as excepted it was pretty meh. did like the fight scene though.

Edited by -Whiplash-

Gamers rise up, not down

Re: Gurren Lagann: I also think the second half is inferior. Except when in movie format, because Lagann-hen might just be the greatest thing ever.Re:Canti, man that is one cool television. I kind of want a regular Canti, because daaang.

AXKP5KC.png

On a recent rewatch, I thought the second half of TTGL is them just getting stupid about topping themselves. Which is a shame, since the first half of the series was excellent as-is.

Eh, still a fun show.

hElbrZ6.gif

So, I just finished Bakemonogatari.

It was REALLY wierd, but I still enjoyed it.

Yeah, Nisemonogatari gets better, in my opinion. Maybe not in terms of story (its still pretty good) but I liked the improvement in animation and there are a few fan service scenes that are pretty hilarious.

I'm really excited to start watching the new season this Friday, it should be good.

I want to see the movie, to see VAMPIRE POWERZ!1!

but seriously, If at 1/10 of his power Araragi can heal from being cut in half, and can match the Monkey in combat(at least, for a little while), I wonder how strong he will be in the prequel?

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

A few pages ago we were talking about the Eva Revoltechs for a bit; 08alpha came out last month and I got mine a few days ago. Just opened it up.

It comes with a sweet grappling arm for 02beta, which wasn't known about when the 02beta figure was initially released (also the back shield isn't colored correctly)(only the 30 second teaser had been released at that point)).

130706_0002.jpg

They look really nice side by side

(spoiler'd just in case)

In other Eva news, Funimation got the licensing for Rebuild 3, no surprise there. If their previous track record is anything to go by, the dub should be out around the middle of next year.

That's a cool figure. Kinda want at least one, but with my spending plans set through August (getting the Madoka LE Film BDs, Guilty Crown Pt. 1 LE (It comes with TWO 108-Page artbooks, and I'm a sucker for artbooks), and a few volumes of Manga), I really have zero extra money for anything else (unless I get a job, which I REALLY hope I do), and then I'll be saving up for the Sailor Moon figures, definitely getting all of those.

I have been watching Cowboy Bebop for a while, really enjoying it so far. As for other anime, well. I'm assuming Pokémon is pointless to mention.

There's also Sonic X (the japanese version, thankfully)

I have, however, plans of moving on to Full Metal Alchemist when I'm finished with Bebop

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Guilty Crown Pt. 1 LE (It comes with TWO 108-Page artbooks, and I'm a sucker for artbooks)

I saw that, too. I'm going to try to make room for it, because the art was one of the best things about Guilty Crown.

I'm going to have to save up, though; Aniplex USA announced that they're going to release 2 Bluray Box Sets w/ English Dub for Fate/Zero later this year. As expected, they're still expensive, but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than the imports.

Luckily, I have a slight income so I can probably afford some more pick-ups before the year is out.

Fate/Zero?

Fate/Zero is the anime adaptation of a light novel series by the same name. The LNs are the prequel to the visual novel Fate/Stay Night (which also has an anime adaptation).

I'd recommend it, although watching Fate/Zero without any knowledge of the Fate universe can be confusing. I did watch Fate/Zero before Fate/Stay Night, so it is doable, though. Fate/Zero is considered to be the better anime, so it's up to personal preference on which to watch first. However, Fate/Stay Night will give away a lot of what happens in Fate/Zero.

I'd consider the second season of Fate/Zero to be the best anime of 2012. Fate/Stay Night is pretty good as well, but they have different vibes and F/SN is older so it doesn't look nearly as good. I love everything Fate though, and I'm excited to be watching Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya this summer season.

Just finished watching episode 13 of Railgun S. The series just keeps getting better. (Poor Misaka #1) Looks like we have at least three more episodes in the arc, which is pretty good.

Though I can see some people who only watch Railgun and not Index complain "Mikoto spent the entire season trying to stop the experiments and it's all solved by...that one guy from season one punching Accelerator in the face???? What a load of garbage"

Which it actually kind of is now that we see how everything went down before Touma showed up, I guess.

AXKP5KC.png

Just finished watching episode 13 of Railgun S. The series just keeps getting better. (Poor Misaka #1) Looks like we have at least three more episodes in the arc, which is pretty good.

Though I can see some people who only watch Railgun and not Index complain "Mikoto spent the entire season trying to stop the experiments and it's all solved by...that one guy from season one punching Accelerator in the face???? What a load of garbage"

Which it actually kind of is now that we see how everything went down before Touma showed up, I guess.

Yeah, you get to see the extent of Mikoto's awesomeness and then she ends up having to rely on Touma anyway. At least Touma is a pretty swell guy, so you can't hate him for just happening to hold the key to the end of Mikoto's problems. Plus, we get to see Touma punching Accelerator animated for the second time.

Railgun S kinda reminds me why I disliked Accelerator so much at first. He really seems like a heartless... meanie (for lack of an appropriate word). He definitely deserves what's coming for him. At least he redeems himself later on in Index, but I bet Mikoto loathes him for everything he did.

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

Yeah, Accelerator was pretty boring as a villain. As a hero, he's just so flawed and interesting that seeing him at first is a bit jarring, but still, it's cool.

I really want Index III to happen, though, because I'm pretty sure we get to see Mikoto and Accelerator interact at some point, since they're both part of the Kamijou Faction. I really want to see how she acts, because you;re right, she probably loathes him.

AXKP5KC.png

I'm like 80% sure we'll see Index III fairly soon after Railgun S. Both Index and Railgun are big franchises and the recent Index movie did good in Japan so the interest for it is there. I haven't explored the LNs so a third season is something I'd be very curious about. I've heard it gets good, but that's about it.

Edited by DYLAN the SINKING STAR

Yeah, I'm hoping for that as well. I want to get into the Light Novels at some point, but I don't really like translations. I'm hoping to get okay enough at reading Japanese in like, a year? To get through some of them. Actually getting them shouldn't be hard at that point.

Oh yeah also.

I have finished watching season one Medaka Box, i thought it was fun, though not particularly excellent in any area save the animation.

Started Abnormal and cannot get over how good this op is just holy japanese cows so good.

Edited by ///dotcom///

AXKP5KC.png

Samurai Champloo, Episode 1..

This show just got all of my yes.

That show aged very well, in my opinion, especially the animation during the fight scenes, where it tops even some modern anime. It also features some fantastic music that really sets the mood. My only complaint is that it kind of takes its time (and even wastes it) during a few episodes. Still an enjoyable watch, you should like it.

Second season of Birdy is better, IMO. Anyways, I'd watch the OVA (Episode 26- Between You and Me) before the second season since it happens between the first and second seasons.Anyways, the Japanese BD of the Steins;Gate film will have English subs, so I'm considering importing... Although I know my wallet would be much happier if I just wait for the inevitable Funimation release...And I just noticed that the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime is airing this season... Going to watch it just because I kinda want to play the game, but my JRPG backlog is already overflowing...

Edited by Terminus

Ufotable (animated Fate/Zero) just announced that they are in the works on a new "Fate/Stay Night project". Beyond that no other information was given so, of course, speculation and rumors are in high supply.

It's possible that it could be a remake, an adaptation of Heaven's Feel, or an adaptation of all three routes (if that happened I'd probably die from having too many dreams come true).

No matter what they end up doing I am excited. Ufotable + Type-Moon is a godly combination. However, I really hope it's a TV series, because Fate/Stay Night just can't be condensed into a couple of hours and retain its quality (see: Unlimited Blade Works movie). I think it's fairly certain that it will be a TV series though, because it will practically print cash for them.

I'm kinda leaning towards an adaptation of Heaven's Feel, only because it's the only route that hasn't been adapted yet. If it isn't that, then I'd expect a remake of F/SN.

Might try to see if there's a fan translation of the All-Ages version of F/SN, might end up playing it before I see the anime...

Might try to see if there's a fan translation of the All-Ages version of F/SN, might end up playing it before I see the anime...

I think there is a patch out there that removes those "scenes". The VN explains a lot of things that the anime didn't even go into, and of course there are 2 other routes. It did take me about 100 hours to complete, so it's lengthy, but worth it if you want to experience everything about F/SN. Good soundtrack, too.