Runescape Thread 4

KayTee

I just finished Monkey Madness on my level 49 pure with 1 Defence and 1 Prayer, only died once too. =P

I don't think I died at ALL in that quest... But I prayed like a MOFO, and I was way higher level. XD I ranged it and had food. I personally thought the fight was a little easy, but that was back when EVERY fight seemed easy because I'd just gotten into Guild Wars and was used to a much more dynamic system. That, and I WAS higher level.I payed the 200K though, too.

Now I'm training Ranged on the pure. It's sort of interesting because the last time I've seriously trained my Ranged was over 2 years ago. I remember it being slow compared to melee, but it's HORRIBLE. I'm only getting like 20-30k XP per hour. Too bad I'm too poor to spend 10m on cannonballs. >.<

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

You mean a certain wiki-that-must-not-be-discussed? Or a certain HQ-that-must-not-be-discussed?

You can discuss them all you want, but you cannot link to them since they have their own individual forums.Also no invasions, etc.But if you want to talk about hidden updates in 2012, feel free.(new quest was good, soul splitting boss was hacks when you hit 1000's, fine rewards, I'M A FIRESTARTER, TWISTED FIRESTARTER)
yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

It is.But as long as you talk about long and useless wikia-pages of "this is also a monty python reference" and not the Yew grove itself, it's fine.Same goes for the main calculators and help articles of RuneHQ, but the forum a no-no too.

yooo_daaaawg.png

First BzP'er to own Vezon and Fenrakk!

Cash: 1.9 MilStats:Attack- 68Defense- 66Strength- 64Ranged- 50Prayer- 47Magic- 67Runecrafting- 49Construction- 42Dungeoneering-51Constitution (Helth Points/HP)- 66Agility- 34Herblore- 26Theiving- 48Crafting- 52Fletching- 50Slayer- 37Hunter- 20Mining- 63Smithing- 68Fishing- 63Cooking- 63Firemaking- 62Farming- 11Woodcutting- 63Summoning- 18

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously disagree with Jagex's rationalization of the increase. Yes, the stuff lately has been/will be awesome, but no way is it worth a price raise. >.<

>.>I personally think RS should go the way of a few OTHER well-known MMOs (Cryptic Studios' Champions Online and recently Star Trek Online, as well as Sony's DC Universe Online, or even PvPNet's League of Legends, which has had this model since day one): 100% free to play CONTENT, with a cash shop generating revenue. When these games did this, their revenues jumped. They'd make more money, and they'd attract more players. Granted, they need to do a LOT of teching up to do, but it would help.Will they do it? Probably not. Is it a nice thought? Sure.

Cash shop would work, but people will complain about the "achievement" of the game being gone. What's the point of earning items when you can just buy them. And especially with this game, achievement is one of the most important things to keep it interesting. And most gameplay isn't the that fun, sometimes it feels like a chore. With the games you listed, Ice, gameplay is decently fast paced, and/or pvp oriented, which helps the fastpacedness. Those games are less about the eventual long term goal, like RuneScape (camping a boss for money, skilling, getting quest requirements) and more about the instant gratification of winning or successfully. The cash shop eliminates any point in achieving things, so RuneScape would have to drastically change how it's played to make it fit in. And RuneScape is generally pretty casual; there won't be a lot of customers.

Cash shop would work, but people will complain about the "achievement" of the game being gone. What's the point of earning items when you can just buy them. And especially with this game, achievement is one of the most important things to keep it interesting. And most gameplay isn't the that fun, sometimes it feels like a chore. With the games you listed, Ice, gameplay is decently fast paced, and/or pvp oriented, which helps the fastpacedness. Those games are less about the eventual long term goal, like RuneScape (camping a boss for money, skilling, getting quest requirements) and more about the instant gratification of winning or successfully. The cash shop eliminates any point in achieving things, so RuneScape would have to drastically change how it's played to make it fit in. And RuneScape is generally pretty casual; there won't be a lot of customers.

The items in the cash shop wouldn't BE items in the game. As in, specialized items (like the Loyalty Program now) for cash. After all, isn't the Loyalty Program basically a cash shop already? And one of the biggest points made, especially by League of Legend, (and, to a lesser extent, Star Trek Online), would be the ability to "buy" cash shop points with in-game currency (how the Dilithium Exchange works in STO). You work for it, you go to an exchange, you buy cash shop points from players, you buy cash shop items. If you have a lot of time without a decent job, you can work for the cash shop points. If you don't have the time but you're swimming in green, you can buy the in-game stuff that you don't have time for. Either way, Jagex gets the money. It WORKS. I've seen it work. Heck, I play STO. It works there, to a point. Basically, you play for free, then you have the option to either buy directly or grind for, exclusive equipment (Like Auras).Does that make a little more sense? Edited by Ice the Great

It makes more sense, but it still seems... wrong. Jagex currently gains money on RS by advertising and collecting money from members. I think that the system works fine. If you have to pay for the option to buy something, something you can sell for a profit, that's like paying for a money making method. Imagine buying the runecrafting skill, for example, except that you could make a much larger profit in-game with the "cash shop."

Edited by Nujanii: Kanohi Master

It makes more sense, but it still seems... wrong. Jagex currently gains money on RS by advertising and collecting money from members. I think that the system works fine. If you have to pay for the option to buy something, something you can sell for a profit, that's like paying for a money making method. Imagine buying the runecrafting skill, for example, except that you could make a much larger profit in-game with the "cash shop."

You don't make a profit off the items, unless you're using them to farm. Auras are untradeable. So would the new items. You want it? Get cash shop points.

Honestly, I'd rather be paying $20 per month than have a cash shop added.

That's your opinion, and I will respect that. However, my stance is the opposite. Until members-only content gates are removed, I don't plan on playing RS much. At least, until something mind-blowing hits.

Then in that case, you'd be paying for a money making method. Like buying woodcutting or mining. Which honestly wouldn't be all that different. But even though you could not trade the items, you're still paying weal word currency for in game items, though they be untradeable.Are you a member, by the way?

Then in that case, you'd be paying for a money making method. Like buying woodcutting or mining. Which honestly wouldn't be all that different. But even though you could not trade the items, you're still paying weal word currency for in game items, though they be untradeable.Are you a member, by the way?

I was, up until about a year ago now when I quit. I finally got bored.

I tell you that $6 a month is definitely worth RS membership. Now, I don't know about $8/month, but if you have a job or something, DO IT. I think you can trust Jagex to price RS and Funorb fairly. Funorb has less value than RS though, in my opinion.Btw, 8realms (another Jagex game) has poor value. Don't buy anything on that.

• 3 weeks later...

Did Jamflax remove the amount of people playing from the front page?

No. It's small, well-hidden, but it's there. Right below the community dropdown. I screenshotted it:OnlineCount.jpg
Oh wow, that's strange. I couldn't find it when I posted, and I couldn't log on either.

Did Jamflax remove the amount of people playing from the front page?

No. It's small, well-hidden, but it's there. Right below the community dropdown. I screenshotted it:OnlineCount.jpg
Oh wow, that's strange. I couldn't find it when I posted, and I couldn't log on either.
See if you can't file some kind of bug report, this may be a glitch.