Pink Floyd

Peach 00

Let's discuss the awesomeness of this progressive rock band. Might I also add that, if any arguments start, either immediately sort them out or I will report the topic; if any people start trolling and saying 'this band stinks lolz' in the topic, again, I will report the topic just on the basis that I, the topic starter, would like it closed. So, since those statements have been said, I have a feeling most of you who want to discuss the band don't want this to happen. So, let's discuss. :)My favorite album by them has to be Dark Side of the Moon. I was disappointed with The Wall because it just seemed unlike the band. Comfortably Numb was the only song I liked on that album, honestly. And the song Echoes on the album Meddle was pretty cool, the live at Dansk (I believe that's how you spell it) version even cooler.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Dark Side of the Moon is probably my favorite album as well, though Wish You Were Here is a close second. I <3 WYWH, but DSOM is what got me into Pink Floyd to start with, so I guess it has a special place in my heard. I actually loved the Wall Album and the story it tells. The only issue I had with it was that a lot of the songs were a little too similar. But besides that, it was pretty cool.Also loved Roger Waters :3

Yeah, WYWH is a second for me, too. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is awesome, but I don't know which is better between Time and that song, lol. The actually song named Wish You Were Here is my favorite of all of their songs, though. ^^ And same here, it was Breathe, Brain Damage, and Time that made me want to listen to more of their songs. Indeed, it holds a special place for me, too.And The Wall was okay, there were songs on it I loved and some that just didn't seem all that much like Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd makes me think of space, time, beautiful images and whatnot. The Wall didn't breathe those type of images through its songs, although that was both a bad thing and a good thing. Still, I did like Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2), as well as Comfortably Numb. As well, Run Like **** was a good song, too.But, like I said, The Wall was okay, I'd probably prefer it over some of their later music after that time period. It was a shame the band split after a few years after a lot of disagreement. It was nice to see them reunite before Wright died, though. And Roger Waters is cool, but it's hard to pick between him and David Gilmour. Gilmour is awesome for the guitar work he does on their songs, but Waters writes awesome lyrics. Probably a tie, lol.

Edited by Peach 00

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

slipped away...

I've never listened to Pink Floyd (gasp!), but my parents have their small compilation album / EP / whatever A Collection of Great Dance Songs -- which, apparently, isn't a collection of dance songs as I always thought it was. Does that album showcase any of the band's better work?

It's a good collection of songs, but Pink Floyd really isn't about the individual songs - you need to listen to the whole albums to really experience the music and themes. Pink Floyd's MO is making suites of music, not singles.Most people start with The Dark Side of the Moon, which I recommend as a beginning point...that's where everything really coalesced (Meddle is where I feel they found their sound and really got sturdily on their feet, but Dark Side is where, having found their footing, they really pushed hard and went all the way to a masterpiece). From there, listen to their four "major" albums in order (Wish You Were Here, which I feel is their best, the Animals, then The Wall), and then move backwards and forwards at your leisure. They've got a wide range of moods and storytelling throughout their discography and every listener will find different favourites and treasures as they explore the catalogue.If you want a handful of tracks to give a sampling of their different moods (though again, you have to listen to the albums to really get it), try the following:"Comfortably Numb""Money""The Great Gig in the Sky""Wish You Were Here""Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Parts I - V and VI - IX; the whole suite)"Pigs (Three Different Ones)""Nobody Home""Echoes""Mother""Is There Anybody Out There?""See Emily Play""Learning to Fly""Run Like ######""Have a Cigar""Pigs on the Wind Pt. 2"These isn't a list of their "best tracks" or my favourite ones or anything, just something to give a sampling of some of their different moods and styles.
bring back "an cool dude"

Oh by the way, which one's Pink?

You're too awesome. :3

I've never listened to Pink Floyd (gasp!), but my parents have their small compilation album / EP / whatever A Collection of Great Dance Songs -- which, apparently, isn't a collection of dance songs as I always thought it was. Does that album showcase any of the band's better work?

It's a good collection of songs, but Pink Floyd really isn't about the individual songs - you need to listen to the whole albums to really experience the music and themes. Pink Floyd's MO is making suites of music, not singles.Most people start with The Dark Side of the Moon, which I recommend as a beginning point...that's where everything really coalesced (Meddle is where I feel they found their sound and really got sturdily on their feet, but Dark Side is where, having found their footing, they really pushed hard and went all the way to a masterpiece). From there, listen to their four "major" albums in order (Wish You Were Here, which I feel is their best, the Animals, then The Wall), and then move backwards and forwards at your leisure. They've got a wide range of moods and storytelling throughout their discography and every listener will find different favourites and treasures as they explore the catalogue.If you want a handful of tracks to give a sampling of their different moods (though again, you have to listen to the albums to really get it), try the following:"Comfortably Numb""Money""The Great Gig in the Sky""Wish You Were Here""Shine On You Crazy Diamond" (Parts I - V and VI - IX; the whole suite)"Pigs (Three Different Ones)""Nobody Home""Echoes""Mother""Is There Anybody Out There?""See Emily Play""Learning to Fly""Run Like ######""Have a Cigar""Pigs on the Wind Pt. 2"These isn't a list of their "best tracks" or my favourite ones or anything, just something to give a sampling of some of their different moods and styles.
Agreed. Animals was an album that had a political ring to it, if you listen close to the words, but, yeah, Dark Side of the Moon is an awesome album. You'll want to listen to all the songs, not just an individual song on the album. Same thing with Wish You Were Here - gotta listen to it all the way through for the full experience.But, depending on what type of music you like (for instance, a harder yet progressive rock type is something like The Wall), you might prefer Meddle, which was, as Smeag said, where they goy their sure footing. Listen to that first I'd say, just so you can see what their music is like, and then Dark Side. Still, Echoes you need to listen to. You'll be scared if you look at the length of the song, so I advise not doing that and just listening to it. :P And, for another good version of it besides the studio version, search for the Live at Gdansk version (not sure if that's how you spell it), which is a minute or two longer but is better than the studio edition IMO. Your choice.Still, they are an awesome band. The earlier music (Syd Barrett age) is a little strange, so I'd advise you don't listen to that, as it's more psychedelic rock, unless you like that type of music. Nonetheless, I'd say listen to them, they are pretty cool, but I don't want you to feel like I'm trying to force the music on you. Enjoy it at your leisure.

slipped away...

>advising not listening to syd barrett>pink floyd topicwatSyd Barrett was a freakin genius.Not his fault he was also kind of insane. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is easily one of Floyd's greatest albums.Also Dark Side of the Moon = one of the most overrated albums ever. Also also, can I make the personal request that we keep album titles italicized and song titles in quotes/inverted commas to avoid confusion?

I just finished listening to Meddle. 'Tis a good (if rather mellow) album. I'll listen to The Dark Side of the Moon next, go through the rest of Pink Floyd's discography at a later time, and then take a peek at Pink Floyd's earlier work to see if that's any good.

Edited by Legolover-361

>advising not listening to syd barrett>pink floyd topicwatSyd Barrett was a freakin genius.Not his fault he was also kind of insane. Piper at the Gates of Dawn is easily one of Floyd's greatest albums.Also Dark Side of the Moon = one of the most overrated albums ever. Also also, can I make the personal request that we keep album titles italicized and song titles in quotes/inverted commas to avoid confusion?

Insane, definitely, but drugs had something to do with that insanity. I have no doubt he was a good guy and creative, but I just don't find his music all that good. I do not mean to offend, but it's just a difference in personal taste. And, I totally disagree with you on that if you actually look what that album did. It changed music during that era because of it used different techniques in music. It was groundbreaking music, honestly. I don't wish to argue with you, because we have a difference in opinion.

I just finished listening to Meddle. 'Tis a good (if rather mellow) album. I'll listen to The Dark Side of the Moon next, go through the rest of Pink Floyd's discography at a later time, and then take a peek at Pink Floyd's earlier work to see if that's any good.

Yeah, it is slightly mellow. "Echoes" is still a good song, despite its length. The Dark Side of the Moon is their greatest album (to me, that is), but then again it's a toss-up between Dark Side and Wish You Were Here.

slipped away...

Insane, definitely, but drugs had something to do with that insanity. I have no doubt he was a good guy and creative, but I just don't find his music all that good. I do not mean to offend, but it's just a difference in personal taste. And, I totally disagree with you on that if you actually look what that album did. It changed music during that era because of it used different techniques in music. It was groundbreaking music, honestly. I don't wish to argue with you, because we have a difference in opinion.
I'm so offended right now you don't even KNOWlikesomeone doesn't agree that syd barrett was awesome? ive never been MORE OFFENDED IN MY LIFE(i'm kidding.)Anyway in all seriousness, DSotM might be influential but that doesn't make it good. It has some good material, and it's not a bad album in the slightest, but WYWH, The Wall, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Animals, and Meddle are all better in my opinion. Plus everything on it except maybe 'Us and Them' is incredibly overplayed.Also on the subject of Syd Barrett, his solo career was fantastic. If anyone likes his work with Floyd (ie- 'See Emily Play,' 'Apples and Oranges') you should definitely check out some stuff.

lol, yeah.Well, I can see WYWH being about even to it, it's a toss-up between the two for me. I've listened to Animals, which was more of an album that was related to politics if you listen to some of the songs in the album, like 'Pigs' for instance. It does have some political background, but honestly, I doesn't really affect my opinion on the album itself. But Dark Side was cool to me, although the song 'Comfortably Numb' is better than two or three songs on the album. And to me, 'Us and Them' (including 'Any Colour You Like') is the most underrated song on that album, in my opinion. I'm not sure if they're as much overplayed as they are...well, I don't know, honestly. :PBut, it is obvious that album did get them to the top of the charts and earned them their fame, although WYWH probably strengthened that fame even more with 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' and 'Wish You Were Here'. Those songs are pretty awesome to me. ^^Still, I don’t see Syd Barrett as the most popular member of the group, he lost control of himself, but I think that was a plus for the band. Had they kept him on, I don’t think they would have reached fame, but even if they did, I don’t think they would have been with songs as good as the ones they made without him. That’s just me though. :P Edited by Peach 00

slipped away...

They were pretty well-known before he left. They performed 'See Emily Play' on Top of the Pops three times, and 'Arnold Layne' cracked the top 20 charts in the UK. I'm aware of the political connotations on Animals. All the George Orwell parallels make it fairly obvious, and that's if you don't actually listen to the lyrics. It's still a good album.

The only two Pink Floyd songs I've chosen to listen to are Atom Heart Mother and Wish You Were Here. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngI've read quite a bit of people saying Pink Floyd wasn't really progressive, and pretty much wasn't after Dark Side, though.

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

They were pretty well-known before he left. They performed 'See Emily Play' on Top of the Pops three times, and 'Arnold Layne' cracked the top 20 charts in the UK. I'm aware of the political connotations on Animals. All the George Orwell parallels make it fairly obvious, and that's if you don't actually listen to the lyrics. It's still a good album.

That's true. But, would they have stayed up there? They probably would have, but you never know. Things still did turn out well, even if he hadn't left and gone insane things probably would have been cool.Heh, yeah. It is still an awesome album, I'm not saying it isn't because of the political references. =P 'Dogs' was a good song, I actually love 'Sheep' out of all of the songs on that album.But, yeah, I can see that Syd Barrett was a good songwriter and whatnot, but I just don't prefer his music to that of their later albums without his contribution. It's just my personal taste, I guess, lol.

The only two Pink Floyd songs I've chosen to listen to are Atom Heart Mother and Wish You Were Here. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.pngI've read quite a bit of people saying Pink Floyd wasn't really progressive, and pretty much wasn't after Dark Side, though.

Dark Side of the Moon showed they were a progressive rock band, and two of their albums after that, if I'm not mistaken. Wish You Were Here and The Wall were both progressive, if you listen to the end of the last song on The Wall, you can hear the beginning of the first song on the album. I believe Animals and two or three of their other albums weren't progressive, though, but two of their albums stayed true to the genre of Dark Side of the Moon after that album was released.

slipped away...

You might be right, I've never listened to Animals in its entirety more than two or three times. It might be progressive, I myself don't know, but DSoTM is definitely progressive. The whole album is basically one whole song if you listen to it in its entirety. I think that was definitely Pink Floyd's most progressive album, in my opinion, but that's just me. =P

Edited by Peach 00

slipped away...

Atom Heart Mother, especially "Atom Heart Mother", was the band's most progressive work. Apart from that particular (and much maligned) masterpiece, I'm rather fond of the Barrett-era stuff, along with albums like Animals, The Final Cut, A Momentary Lapse of Reason, and Obscured By Clouds. Regarding The Final Cut, I think that album showcased Roger at his best, even if it was, effectively, a Waters solo album.This is not, of course, to say that I dislike their other stuff - Dark Side of the Moon is certainly a good album, and The Wall has some excellent material on it.Overall, I would not class Pink Floyd as a progressive rock band, any more than I would class Jethro Tull as a folk rock band. Both bands jumped around a bit, ranging in style from blues (PF: "Seamus", JT: This Was) to progressive rock (PT: Atom Heart Mother, JT: Thick As a Brick), with the occasional dab of metal (PT: "Nile Song" "Ibiza Bar", JT: Crest of a Knave [ish]).

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I started giving Dogs on the Animals album a listen, it was decent by my internet was slow. I'll give Animals a spin again soon.

Yeah, you're going to want to go song by song with that album. 'Dogs' was pretty good, you might like 'Sheep', although 'Pigs' was always an awesome song.

slipped away...

Although I only recently started listening to Pink Floyd, Animals is my favourite of their albums, although WYWH is a close second. With Animals, you can't really listen to it once a appreciate it, because the main songs on the album are pretty long. The fact that Animals was developped at the time of WYWH is also interesting and its cool to compare Dogs and Sheep with You've Got To Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling to see where those songs started.Although I prefer You've Got To Be Crazy's lyrics to Dogs, I really prefer the ending of Dogs to the live version of YGTBC because it seems more focused and crisp.DSOTM seems overrated to me, although still good. I really prefer Pink Floyd's longer and more instrumental songs, such as:EchoesAtom Heart MotherDogsPigsSheepShine On You Crazy Diamon Parts 1-9and even if it isn't really long, Wish You Were Here feat. Stephane Grappelli is definately one of my favs, with the violin part adding another dimension to an already great song

black_-_the_host.png

Although I only recently started listening to Pink Floyd, Animals is my favourite of their albums, although WYWH is a close second. With Animals, you can't really listen to it once a appreciate it, because the main songs on the album are pretty long. The fact that Animals was developped at the time of WYWH is also interesting and its cool to compare Dogs and Sheep with You've Got To Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling to see where those songs started.Although I prefer You've Got To Be Crazy's lyrics to Dogs, I really prefer the ending of Dogs to the live version of YGTBC because it seems more focused and crisp.DSOTM seems overrated to me, although still good. I really prefer Pink Floyd's longer and more instrumental songs, such as:EchoesAtom Heart MotherDogsPigsSheepShine On You Crazy Diamon Parts 1-9and even if it isn't really long, Wish You Were Here feat. Stephane Grappelli is definately one of my favs, with the violin part adding another dimension to an already great song

True, you have to listen to it a few times. I've listened to it five or six times in full, but I don't listen to it that often because it's a little too long for my tastes, but that's more just my own personal taste. 'You've Got to be Crazy?' 'Raving And Drooling?' I don't recognize those, honestly. :/DSOTM has never seemed overrated to me. It's signature Pink Floyd to me, mainly because that's what got them where they are now. Sure, Meddle probably gave them sure footing, but I've always preferred to think that album was their best because of its originality.All those songs you have listed there (with the exception of 'Atom Heart Mother') are awesome. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is one of my personal favorites, mainly because of the saxophone and guitar solo.

I continued my Animals listening today and listened to Sheep. Though, I'm hearing lots of reports on how good Pigs is.

'Pigs' is a great song, although I still like 'Sheep' instead. Both good songs, though.

Absolutely adore their cover of King Bee.This is all Smeag forgot to mention in our post.

Not familiar with that one, honestly. =P

slipped away...

Absolutely adore their cover of King Bee.This is all Smeag forgot to mention in our post.

Not familiar with that one, honestly. =P
It's an unreleased cover of the blues standard 'I'm A King Bee,' which they recorded during the Barrett era.
Well, then that explains it. :P

slipped away...

All those songs you have listed there (with the exception of 'Atom Heart Mother') are awesome. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is one of my personal favorites, mainly because of the saxophone and guitar solo.

"Atom Heart Mother" is the piece of music from Pink Floyd that most neatly falls in with progressive rock (see bands like ELP or King Crimson) and is, I think, one of their best.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

True, you have to listen to it a few times. I've listened to it five or six times in full, but I don't listen to it that often because it's a little too long for my tastes, but that's more just my own personal taste. 'You've Got to be Crazy?' 'Raving And Drooling?' I don't recognize those, honestly. :/DSOTM has never seemed overrated to me. It's signature Pink Floyd to me, mainly because that's what got them where they are now. Sure, Meddle probably gave them sure footing, but I've always preferred to think that album was their best because of its originality.All those songs you have listed there (with the exception of 'Atom Heart Mother') are awesome. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is one of my personal favorites, mainly because of the saxophone and guitar solo.
You should check out You've Got To Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling sometime. They're live material in the recent Discovery/Immersion re-release of WYWH. They're quite similar to Dogs and Sheep respectively, although the lyrics are quite different.DSOTM is good music, but I prefer Pink Floyd's longer and more instrumental stuff.
black_-_the_host.png

All those songs you have listed there (with the exception of 'Atom Heart Mother') are awesome. 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' is one of my personal favorites, mainly because of the saxophone and guitar solo.

"Atom Heart Mother" is the piece of music from Pink Floyd that most neatly falls in with progressive rock (see bands like ELP or King Crimson) and is, I think, one of their best.
Yeah, I've never listened to 'Atom Heart Mother' or any of their earlier music before Meddle. Their earlier music has always been...strange, to me anyway. Most of the broader Syd Barrett music (His strange psychedelic songs right before he left) I haven't listened to, but I'm not sure where that song falls on the Pink Floyd timeline. I might try listening to it.

You should check out You've Got To Be Crazy and Raving And Drooling sometime. They're live material in the recent Discovery/Immersion re-release of WYWH. They're quite similar to Dogs and Sheep respectively, although the lyrics are quite different.DSOTM is good music, but I prefer Pink Floyd's longer and more instrumental stuff.
Ahh, I see. I'll have to listen to it sometime, thanks for the suggestion. Concerning their live material, I've always liked Pulse, and their Live 8 concert (pretty sure that's what it was), when they all reunited for one final concert together. Plus, the Gdansk (I'm certain that's how it's spelled) concert is awesome, especially when they played 'Echoes'.For those who aren't familiar with it, the Gdansk concert was Wright's final concert, where he partnered with Gilmour to play some of their best music. Their 'Echoes' rendition seems better than the studio version to me, it's longer by a minute or two, and has an awesome beginning and cool guitar solo at one point of the song. Those who love the song ought to listen to this live version of it, it's pretty good.

slipped away...

Also, it should be noted that if you're into the progressive side of Pink Floyd, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Ummagumma Disc 2. Semi-lengthy instrumentals like "Sysyphus" showcase the compositional skills of all of the members of the band.Also timpani is involved. That's always fun.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If it makes you all happy, I borrowed DSotM, WYWH and Animals from a dad's friend. I think also has The Wall, Final Cut and MLoR.And sorry, I didn't really find DSotM as great as everyone says. 3.5/5 in my book. I like WYWH and Animals a lot more.You gotta be crazy...

I agree with you regarding DSotM. It's good, but it's not a fantastic album. The main reason it's remembered, I think, is the minimalistic, memorable album cover, and the memorable bassline for "Money". I certainly don't see too many people mindlessly reciting the lyrics to "Brain Damage" like they do with "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2".Honestly, with bands like this, the respective popularity of their albums has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality - it isn't inversely or directly proportional, in other words, there's just no correlation. Sometimes the best album is the most popular (though at the moment, I'm struggling to find an example of this), sometimes the worst one is (considering their other work, I would say Pink Floyd fits this one), and sometimes the most popular album is sort of middle-of-the-road for that band (like Jethro Tull with Aqualung).Usually, what matters more is how easily you can hum a guitar riff or bassline.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Money and Brain Damage (Eclipse doesn't really stand alone, but still excluded) are the best tracks on DSotM.Though, uh, I finished up both Animals and WYWH today. I had the last tracks on both. Definitely enjoyed them more than Dark Side.

'Atom Heart Mother' was released on the album of the same name after Ummagumma and before Meddle and is longer than 'Echoes' by like 30 seconds.It's pretty good.

Have heard of Ummagumma, although haven't listened to the songs on the album, same with Atom Heart Mother. Meddle is the only album I own prior to that of Dark Side of the Moon, just because it's a little more Pink Floyd -esque. First thing you think of when you think of Pink Floyd to me has been DSotM. People think that it's popularity is all it has going for it, but I disagree. I believe that teens nowadays dislike it because it isn't hard rock, which you get a taste of when listening to Barrett's music and The Wall.Their most popular time period was the duration of DSotM and WYWH, but it goes deeper than just popularity in their music. But nonetheless, The Wall is their most popular album by far (in this day in age, anyhow.) Most of the teens I've talked to have only preferred that album, and a minor amount of their albums prior to that.

Ticking away, the moments that make up a full day.

Although I'm not familiar with you here on the site, you rock for referencing that song. My favorite part is the guitar solo by far - lyrics make it as well, including the drums. To sum it up in more simplistic terms, all of it is cool. :P

Also, it should be noted that if you're into the progressive side of Pink Floyd, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Ummagumma Disc 2. Semi-lengthy instrumentals like "Sysyphus" showcase the compositional skills of all of the members of the band.Also timpani is involved. That's always fun.

Haven't listened to that album. However, that reminds me of the members of the band. Roger Waters and Nick Mason had no classical training, so any of the organizing of the certain musical instruments in parts of the song looked like an architectural sketch on paper when they organized it. :P

If it makes you all happy, I borrowed DSotM, WYWH and Animals from a dad's friend. I think also has The Wall, Final Cut and MLoR.And sorry, I didn't really find DSotM as great as everyone says. 3.5/5 in my book. I like WYWH and Animals a lot more.You gotta be crazy...

I don't understand why nobody is a huge fan of DSotM. It is classic Pink Floyd, and the music in it is wonderfully done. 'Breathe', 'Money', 'Time', and the combination of 'Brain Damage' and 'Eclipse' were awesome parts of the album, especially the bassline on 'Money'. 'Great Gig In The Sky', 'Any Colour You Like', and 'Us and Them' are underrated songs, too. Plus, I was never a big fan of The Final Cut, or Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. None of them appealed to me, honestly.

I agree with you regarding DSotM. It's good, but it's not a fantastic album. The main reason it's remembered, I think, is the minimalistic, memorable album cover, and the memorable bassline for "Money". I certainly don't see too many people mindlessly reciting the lyrics to "Brain Damage" like they do with "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2".Honestly, with bands like this, the respective popularity of their albums has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality - it isn't inversely or directly proportional, in other words, there's just no correlation. Sometimes the best album is the most popular (though at the moment, I'm struggling to find an example of this), sometimes the worst one is (considering their other work, I would say Pink Floyd fits this one), and sometimes the most popular album is sort of middle-of-the-road for that band (like Jethro Tull with Aqualung).Usually, what matters more is how easily you can hum a guitar riff or bassline.

I don't think it's that. The songs themselves make the album, 'Time' was the best song on the album for its lyrics, drumbeat, and guitar solo. Certainly, the album cover was memorable, it's a prism, but it's not just that.I understand what you're saying, but I'd prefer to think the most popular album is usually the best, something that fits Pink Floyd. DSotM is definitely this to me, but I doubt anybody here might agree. Not that I'm trying to argue, but there's a difference of opinion here, and from most of what's been said, DSotM isn't the favorite by most (with the exception of me here in this case). Also, worst? I would like a little further explanation, I don't exactly see what you mean. =/

Money and Brain Damage (Eclipse doesn't really stand alone, but still excluded) are the best tracks on DSotM.Though, uh, I finished up both Animals and WYWH today. I had the last tracks on both. Definitely enjoyed them more than Dark Side.

Animals I'd place under Meddle in my list of favorites. Although I enjoy the songs on the album, I liked songs like 'San Tropez', 'Echoes', and 'Seamus' a little bit more because of a little bit more simplicity. Animals is great, but I prefered Meddle and WYWH a lot more, honestly.

slipped away...

By worst album, I'm comparing it to their other work. Out of all the Pink Floyd albums, I put The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon at the bottom of the list - I still enjoy those albums, but if I had to choose one Pink Floyd album to listen to, it wouldn't be either of those.It's like how Under Wraps is Jethro Tull's worst album. It's still good, and stands head and shoulders above a lot of other things that were happening in the 1980s, but it doesn't compare well with the rest of Tull's work.This is all, of course, purely subjective - the members of Pink Floyd have been openly and harshly critical of one of my favorite Pink Floyd albums, while Martin Barre's favorite Tull album is the one I (and many Tull fans) put at the bottom of the list.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Although I'm not familiar with you here on the site, you rock for referencing that song. My favorite part is the guitar solo by far - lyrics make it as well, including the drums. To sum it up in more simplistic terms, all of it is cool. :P

BUT I'M IPENGUIN. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW ME ARG.Also, "Have A Cigar" has probably one of the most underrated Floyd guitar lines ever. That and "Corporal Clegg" is another Floyd song that has gone completely under the radar.

Majhost sucks

BUT I'M IPENGUIN. HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW ME ARG.Also, "Have A Cigar" has probably one of the most underrated Floyd guitar lines ever. That and "Corporal Clegg" is another Floyd song that has gone completely under the radar.
'Have A Cigar' is a great song, it is definitely one of their more underrated songs by far. Haven't heard of 'Corporal Clegg' before, so your point is now valid. :P Edited by Peach 00

slipped away...