Storage And Heat

I’ve been thinking recently about whether or not my Bionicle sets are being affected where I’m keeping them.At the moment, I keep them in a small shack/house that we have in our backyard. It has no air-conditioning which means that in the summer the temperature inside can reach past 90 degrees, and in the winter it can easily get below freezing. The windows are blocked with makeshift curtains 99% of the time, so I don’t think I need to worry about sunlight, but do you think the high temperatures, and possibly the humidity, are doing any harm?They’ve been there for more than a year, and I haven’t noticed any change, but the thought has been in the back of my head. Melting seems imposible, but what about warping or bending?What do you think?

A little searching around suggests that the plastic used in LEGO should be good up to about 150 degrees Fahrenheit, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. More dangerous would seem to be very rapid changes in temperature (especially in humid conditions) and UV damage, but they seem well protected from both of those.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I’ve been thinking recently about whether or not my Bionicle sets are being affected where I’m keeping them.At the moment, I keep them in a small shack/house that we have in our backyard. It has no air-conditioning which means that in the summer the temperature inside can reach past 90 degrees, and in the winter it can easily get below freezing. The windows are blocked with makeshift curtains 99% of the time, so I don’t think I need to worry about sunlight, but do you think the high temperatures, and possibly the humidity, are doing any harm?They’ve been there for more than a year, and I haven’t noticed any change, but the thought has been in the back of my head. Melting seems imposible, but what about warping or bending?What do you think?

A little searching around suggests that the plastic used in LEGO should be good up to about 150 degrees Fahrenheit, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. More dangerous would seem to be very rapid changes in temperature (especially in humid conditions) and UV damage, but they seem well protected from both of those.

Actually, there are some dangers. What you should watch out for is the kind of plastic in Tahu Stars' mask, it melts really easy (my red one has a crater in it from where it did).

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

That makes me feel better...

Actually, there are some dangers. What you should watch out for is the kind of plastic in Tahu Stars' mask, it melts really easy (my red one has a crater in it from where it did).

But that makes me a little worried again... How exactly did the mask melt?

That makes me feel better...

But that makes me a little worried again... How exactly did the mask melt?
I left it beside a lamp.

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

I left it beside a lamp.

Well, incandescent lightbulbs can have a surface temperature well beyond 150 degrees depending on the wattage, so I guess the question is how close to the lamp you left it.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

I left it beside a lamp.

Well, incandescent lightbulbs can have a surface temperature well beyond 150 degrees depending on the wattage, so I guess the question is how close to the lamp you left it.
...On top of the bulb. XD

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

I left it beside a lamp.

...On top of the bulb. XD
That, uh, that would do the trick, yes.But yeah, I think as long as you keep them out of the sun you should be fine. These bricks are expensive for a reason. :P

To add something quickly, is it possible that some sets will make pieces bend and then become stuck in a bent form? Example, could Nidiki's thin legs be bent by his weight and the heat, and then harden in the winter?

I think the weight is distributed well enough and the legs rigid enough to prevent bending. The only set that could bend like that is Krika, who isn't weighty enough to bend by himself.

aouROFb.png

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the thinner or more delicate plastic or the rubber bands may warp and some of it may get slightly discolored, but other than that, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

At one point, parts from one of our Nui Rama ended up getting pushed under the heater in our basement, Shapewise they didn't change much, but they no longer come apart. I've never had any issues with parts actually melting (especially not due to typical outdoor temperatures), but if you do leave them in a place where they could get hot, I'd recommend letting them cool before using them again, in case the heat makes them more susceptible to being scratched or warped during normal use.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother