Teleportation

So often, it seems, tasks in the Bionicle universe could be accomplished a whole heck of a lot more easily if certain characters had just used their ability to teleport objects.-Why didn't Makuta just teleport the Vahi into his grasp?-Why didn't Vakama just use a teleportation disk to redirect Makuta's shadow hand?-Why didn't the Makuta just teleport out of Karda Nui?There are probably more examples that I'm just not thinking about right now. So, is there an explanation for this, or is this just another convenient plot hole to keep the plot moving and sell more toys?

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

-Why didn't Makuta just teleport the Vahi into his grasp?
Because he was exhausted? And if I remember well, Makuta can use only one of their powers at a time, and he was pretty busy because of TSO.
-Why didn't Vakama just use a teleportation disk to redirect Makuta's shadow hand?
Because he just had a few seconds, and probably hadn't one.
-Why didn't the Makuta just teleport out of Karda Nui?
Karda Nui walls blocks teleportation.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

Ok, but then why didn't the karda nui makuta teleport to the exit and then fly out? Also, if Karda Nui wall blocks teleportation, how did Artahka get the Nuva to Karda Nui in the first place?
I remember reading in Bionicle Legends 11 that the energies from the energy storms somehow prevented the Makuta from using their teleporting powers. This is why they couldn't teleport to the exit.As for Artahka, I'd say that he has stronger teleportation powers than Makuta, which would allow him to teleport the Nuva into Karda Nui.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Teleportation itself is incredibly dangerous. You're converting matter to energy, and if anything disrupts that transmission, it'll come out wrong. I believe this is the basic answer to most of these. It's not a power to use lightly.With the energy storms, probably the instant they started the whole place was irradiated and all teleportation would be deadly or impossible no matter how close they were. And breaking the Vahi would be very bad.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

So often, it seems, tasks in the Bionicle universe could be accomplished a whole heck of a lot more easily if certain characters had just used their ability to teleport objects.-Why didn't Makuta just teleport the Vahi into his grasp?-Why didn't Vakama just use a teleportation disk to redirect Makuta's shadow hand?-Why didn't the Makuta just teleport out of Karda Nui?There are probably more examples that I'm just not thinking about right now. So, is there an explanation for this, or is this just another convenient plot hole to keep the plot moving and sell more toys?
1. I believe bonesiii summed it up nicely with "breaking the Vahi would be very bad." Who knows what would happen to it when you try to teleport it? Beyond that, would it really be good storytelling to just have the villain magically make what he's after appear in his hand and out of the hero's grasp?2. Why do you assume he had one? That Kanoka power also probably doesn't work on something energy-based.3. Just as nobody could teleport in, nobody could teleport out. As for why they didn't teleport to the exit... Well Icarax and Krika were already dead. Mutran was too insane to think of escape and basically had himself intentionally killed. Two of the surviving Makuta (Gorast and Bitil) had lost access to many of their powers. I don't recall if it was stated as including teleportation, but it is likely. Antroz, Vamprah, and Chirox were blind. They didn't know where the exit was.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

• 4 weeks later...

Kanoka do work on energy based things, like when Vakama teleported the stasis field that was around Nuju.

Edited by Takanuvainika

"I once thought that I was the only one who fantasized about Bionicle; that no one else could have that little of a life.

Then I went on BZPower.

biofighter_banner_platform.png

Just call me Taka or TNI

-Why didn't Makuta just teleport the Vahi into his grasp?
Well, if you think about it, Makuta teleportation is described as dissolving an object into component particles, then reassembling them at their destination. Remember what happened when a tiny crack formed in the Vahi? If that's what happens when the mask is cracked, what do you think dissolving it to atoms would do?
-Why didn't Vakama just use a teleportation disk to redirect Makuta's shadow hand?
I really doubt that Vakama had one. If I remember correctly, towards the middle and end of the book/movie, Vakama actually didn't use any Kanoka, but instead used elemental powers (only in the book; it was when fighting the Lohrak), and his Huna (in both versions). It's possible that he ran out at some point, perhaps in the Colessium when he brought down the Lhikan statue.
-Why didn't the Makuta just teleport out of Karda Nui?
In Legends 11, it was stated that the Energy Storms' raw power was preventing the Makuta from teleporting. I believe Bitil tried to teleport to the dimensional gate to Destral, but failed.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

1. Most likely because Makuta can only teleport themselves, since Kraata and Rahskhi cannot teleport others. I doubt Makuta would have realized he could break the mask, since his plan revolved around using it to age the Matoran. He clearly had no idea just how hard the mask is to use and just how vital it was to time itself since Vakama had to tell him what would happen (as shown in Time Trap).2. For one, he was using the Vahi and could not control it - time slowed for him as well as Makuta and he couldn't do anything but focus on using the mask. On another, the hand might have just absorbed the disk, and the teleportation range can be rather small. Plus, he might have been 'grabbed' before he could grab his tool, let alone load and launch his disc.3. The walls were too thick and the energy from the storms disrupted their teleportation power.-TN05 Edited by Toa Nidhiki05

Teridax also teleported the Toa Mata back up to Mata Nui at the end of MNOG. (Confirmed canon.) They can teleport others.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

He also teleported Roodaka to safety at the end of Web of Shadows, and he wasn't even near her at the time. I'm not sure if Rahkshi of Teleportation can teleport others, though. I also didn't know Makuta can teleport energy -- I've read Time Trap, but I must have forgotten that part Toa Zaz mentioned.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Makuta did teleport the Vahi, though. It was at the end of Time Trap. He teleported Vakama to the Great Barrier, and Vakama was holding the Vahi at the time.

"The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. And the true heart can tough the poison of hatred, without being harmed. Since beginingless time darkness thrives in the void, but always yields to purifying light." - The Lion Turtle, Avatar the Last Airbender.

Z8Tqp.gifsXuai.gif

Christmas Dragon!

Makuta did teleport the Vahi, though. It was at the end of Time Trap. He teleported Vakama to the Great Barrier, and Vakama was holding the Vahi at the time.
I completely forget about that, as well as when he summoned it from his Suva. So it is conclusively proven that you can teleport the Vahi without issue. Alright, so now the first question seems to be motive - perhaps Makuta wanted to kill Vakama first, then take the Vahi? Or maybe he anticipated some sort of attack from Vakama.-TN05

Or maybe he was too scatterbrained from trying to absorb Nidihiki and Krekka at the same time (That was his executive excuse :)).Also, I remember a topic saying that the Makuta might have preferences for certain powers, that they couldn't use all 42 of them equally well, so maybe Teridax wasn't as experienced with teleportation? There is a difference between teleporting just a mask and teleporting a being with a mask, though. Maybe Makuta can only teleport living beings?

I completely forgot about that Time Trap example. And the eyebeams example rules out only teleporting living beings. Although perhaps if a being is holding an object he can't just teleport the object itself, not sure.Probably the best explanation is simply that he did not think Vakama could possibly thwart the Shadow Hand power. Despite the fact that the Vahi has been safely teleported, that doesn't mean teleporting is a good first option. Pretty much anything else first would generally be wiser.Also could be a combination of factors, where no particular factor would ban the option but they may make it more dangerous and by adding them together, enough to make him prefer to try something else. For example, once the Vahi was knocked into the sea, if you ask why he didn't teleport it then, I'd think it would be because he was afraid he might "miss" and damage it since it was moving (or make it appear moving down fast over the solid ground, risking shattering it, etc.). Prior to that he may have assumed other options would work.Not 100% sure I'm remembering the scene accurately, though. A little fuzzy on what happened after that lol.

I completely forgot about that Time Trap example. And the eyebeams example rules out only teleporting living beings. Although perhaps if a being is holding an object he can't just teleport the object itself, not sure.Probably the best explanation is simply that he did not think Vakama could possibly thwart the Shadow Hand power. Despite the fact that the Vahi has been safely teleported, that doesn't mean teleporting is a good first option. Pretty much anything else first would generally be wiser.Also could be a combination of factors, where no particular factor would ban the option but they may make it more dangerous and by adding them together, enough to make him prefer to try something else. For example, once the Vahi was knocked into the sea, if you ask why he didn't teleport it then, I'd think it would be because he was afraid he might "miss" and damage it since it was moving (or make it appear moving down fast over the solid ground, risking shattering it, etc.). Prior to that he may have assumed other options would work.Not 100% sure I'm remembering the scene accurately, though. A little fuzzy on what happened after that lol.
*re-watches scene*After the Vahi was knocked into the sea, Makuta said some monologue about how it would take a lifetime's journey to get to both their destinies. He then turned and attacked Vakama. Maybe he thought he could deal with Vakama and get the mask later...Or maybe he just didn't know where it was. The thing shot off into space, and by the time it stopped at the bottom of the sea Teridax couldn't see it. Teleporting moving objects and objects you can't see isn't exactly easy or effective.