Saved blog posts

Jean Valjean

Accidentally clicking out of blog posts clears your browser's memory of the post just as often as it retains it. Just because it was retained once does not mean it always is. If hitting "back" didn't retrieve the entry, there's no getting it back.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yeah; autosave is kinda iffy.Generally, if you've been typing for about, say, 2 minutes or so maybe(I don't know the exact number, so that might not be right; might be a lower number, might be higher; though I just had it auto-save, and it's been approximately two minutes since I loaded the page, according to the time at the bottom of the page), then it has a higher chance of being saved.Also, if you exit out of the browser, it might not save the post... I don't know when it clears it, but at times I've gone to a topic, like an RPG I post in, and it has nothing auto-saved. Though, I mostly ignore it, so it might always be there unless it's a new topic that wouldn't have an auto save. I'm not entirely sure on that part, to be honest. =/

The bottom, where it says about that, should display the text when you click on it(If it says something like 'show new content' Testing now, it doesn't seem to work with a blank slate being saved for the first time.). Depending on when it last saved, it might not be totally complete, but it should work.After that, the box that popped up with the text should have a 'restore old content' there. When I have a chance tomorrow, I'll get some screenshots for easy navigation in the future, if no-one on staff creates such a screenshot in the mean-time. =)

You should probably "preview" your posts while writing them. If you end up accidentally exiting, you can go back and click "yes" when it asks if you want to re-send the form. That should get the post data back, or at least it does for me.Another option would be saving entries as drafts. It'd take longer and you'd have to re-edit them a bunch to finish, but that way you know the board has your text stored.Or, if you're not using your clipboard elsewhere, select all -> copy every once in a while.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Usaully if you're typing the Rich Text Editor, there is a tiny light blue bar at the bottom of it that reads, "Last Autosaved: [timestamp here]". However, it doesn't always keep up with you as you type - the words appear a few seconds after you start typing. To see what it recovered, click on the blog post, click in the RTE and click the "View Autosaved Content," which should be where "Last Autosaved: [timestamp here]" was. To preserve said blog post (or forum post) using autosave, wait a few second for the timestamp to catch up with the current time. But I like to think of it as insurance in case your computer crashes mid-post, which means that there is an element of luck involved. The closer the autosave time was to the computational crash time, the more of your post will be preserved.