Wasted comic popularity?

dRoko

Alright........ here goes nothing...

The main reason that i was here is not because the theories, nor the MOCs, or the (admittedly awesome) fanfics.

I was here for the comics.

As soon as i found new comics outside BZP though, my interests started to go away. Now that i am back here, i see the comics section and think to myself:

Are they content with only this?

If they stripped the Bionicle elements away, they would be very successful in the outside world, with thier unique approach with comics, hilarious gags and, for those that makes plot-based comics, their plot.

​Most of the elements does not consist of Bionicle. So why does they not pack up and go somewhere else, and get far more popularity?

-Inewahu-

8% of the people epically wins with comic making. If you are the 92% that fails at it, copy and paste this into your sig

100% of people here are humans. If you are somehow a matoran, pate this in your sig.

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=9187

No good human spritesheets.See, BZPower has the distinct uniqueness of being the only forum I've seen where "kits", that is, hand-sprited spritesheets in different styles are not only encouraged but considered the norm. No one else does that.Many games have sprites, but its harder to work with them because they're made for a different purpose.If there were decently made human spritesheets out there I'd expand outwards. But there aren't, so we stick with the established order.

I've always wondered this as well. There are several comic makers/authors who could easily just switch any BIONICLE related element with humans and still have the comics end up making sense. I know that it can easily be pulled off, but I doubt some comic authors would even wish to expand. As far as it is for me and several others, its just a hobby. Basically a way to vent out any stress or ideas or whatever that we may have. Its just like how some people draw or others write songs. I'm sure there are some people who might want to do this but as for me personally I would rather just stick with BZPower. I already have enough stress in my life, I don't need.~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Some people simply may not realise that the option is there. On top of that, it's more daunting to try and get an audience from scratch in the big wide merciless internet, whereas here they already have an established fanbase/friends that they can get feedback from.

I think it also depends on why someone makes comics. I mean, popularity might be a motivation for some, but what about those who simply do it because they enjoy story telling or using sprites? If one does not aspire fame and/or popularity, there isn't really a reason to move elsewhere.Another possible reason is that BZPower is a fairly safe place. With the word filter, but also the rules against flaming, there is a higher chance of getting constructive feedback instead of unnecessary hate. At least most of the time. Although every now and then some members complain about the rules, I think that they're actually quite useful.And then there's the guarantee of feedback. We all have (some sort of) interest in Bionicle, and those who frequent the comics forum are usually also ready to help out with advice. I can't remember seeing a topic dying without getting at least some posts. :shrugs:Edit: fixed a typo... and some other things. ^^

Edited by Taka Nuvia

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

I think people could move their comics elsewhere, but it's clear they have or had an interest in Bionicle to want to share their humor here, where there are mostly pre-made mediums for them to convey their comics and there's a somewhat familiar community with the same interests.Besides, if a comic maker just used different sprites on a forum with a different theme, couldn't you say it could be wasted there too because they're only focusing on that other theme? :P

Up, down, turn around, please don't let me hit the ground

I find it pointless to start making comics elsewhere because I don't think others would enjoy them in the same way. BZPower has kind of established its own genre of comics, as well as its own fan base, otherwise known as the Comics Forum. Taking my comics to another forum or something like one, even with human sprites, would not be the same. For one thing, people who have never been on BZPower, wouldn't know whether or not my comics were good or not, because some of us BZPower Comics Makers have styles that are abnormal, or certain comics that are. I haven't seen anything like the BZPower Comic anomaly anywhere else on the internet, so how exactly would others take them? I don't know. That's something I can't really say, but what I can tell you, is that it would be different; much different.As well as the fact that I enjoy making comics here rather than elsewhere, because BZPower has the strongest and most stabilized community of any forum I've seen. Its members truly are here to help each other out and to just have some fun (At least most of the time :P). So, no. I really don't think that I'm losing any comic popularity that I couldn't get here.-Rez

Edited by Reznas

I feel it's because many of the efforts in Artwork III are honestly mediocre, and would be laughed off of almost anywhere else. As a result, people "make the main characters Bionicles!" and put them here because they know BZP's community is more forgiving.Of course, there are some genuinely good comics there - Sturgeon's Law does work both ways, after all. I have no idea why they don't branch out.

man remember when no one would dream of making a forum site without signatures

that was tight

I do agree that many comics do stray far away from the core of Bionicle, and I dislike that, but there are still some that keep to the older values. And you can always scope around the older ones!

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012