Invictus

This MOC was initially built a few months ago. It had some major problems with its torso, but I liked it enough to use its design for a BZPRPG characters, Invictus. When this contest was announced, I took the opportunity to improve its design.

-----

i00.jpg

-----

Torso:

Front / Back / Side

-----

Notes:

• The upper leg is custom-built to maintain the color layering, as this piece doesn't come in dark red.
  • I'm too lazy to remove the Exo-Force stickers. Just pretend they're not there since you can't see them in the entry pic.
  • Canonically his eyes and heartlight are blue, but they're green here because I don't have a blue Metru eye piece.
  • Also canonically, he bears the Mark of Caring, which is difficult to explain...Removed because it doesn't make sense out of context.
  • Play the BZPRPG 'cause it's awesome.

Thoughts?

Q2TtLEz.png

I like the color scheme and layering, but the upper arms throw it off. The small black cheese slopes are not big enough to maintain the black-on-Metru-red layering. I love the shape that Knights' Kingdom armor imparts upon any MOC in which it is used, but again, the layering is the only issue there. It's also minor.His ankles seem a little thick. Any particular reason why you chose to use thick tires there? (I'm not against the use of tires as armor - I enjoy their use on the shoulder connection, for instance - but they seem kind of odd on the ankles.)The chest, while a bit flat from some angles, is pretty good. I especially like that heartlight section.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Very solid and organized. The colors seem to flow well, too. The use of Rahkshi heads was a little overused...but very innovative. I also love the lower legs, the Heartlight (and how it matches his eyes) and the blade. And...are those...Knight's Kingdom shoulder armor pieces? Do they ever come in a Hero Factory set? I have never seen them in that color.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

I really like the body design. It also looks very well armored. What did you use on the shoulders, though?
I believe the shoulder armour came from an old Exo-Force set: 7705, Gate Assault.On topic, I could nitpick about how the armour doesn't flow perfectly in places and nag about various small flaws in the design, but to be honest it looks pretty solid so there's no reason to complain here. The black spikes in the armour design stay consistent, so kudos for that. A couple things bug me though, namely that the shape and pattern created by the tires on the lower legs doesn't replicate itself anywhere else on the model. The more I look at it the more tacked-on it seems. Either replace them with smooth ones, add similar-looking tires elsewhere, or just remove them completely.I also take minor issue about the boxiness of the torso, but I can't say anything since I don't know what you had to work with or how you assembled it, so I guess it's fine.Overall, nice work! The colors and aesthetics stay fairly well-balanced throughout and the overall silhouette and feel of the model is fantastic. Keep on building! Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Very creative use of the Exo-Force part, I have to say. Torso is also very nicely designed. My only real wish is that you could have found a way to fit the Mark into the MOC somehow, if only out of curiosity as to how one would look on a LEGO set. :PGood job all together, though.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

His ankles seem a little thick. Any particular reason why you chose to use thick tires there?
Mainly because I didn't have enough parts to build custom legs, and as I was already using the pin holes on the standard-mold legs tires were the only way I could think of to fill the gap. The particular variety I used seemed to work the best.
A couple things bug me though, namely that the shape and pattern created by the tires on the lower legs doesn't replicate itself anywhere else on the model. The more I look at it the more tacked-on it seems. Either replace them with smooth ones, add similar-looking tires elsewhere, or just remove them completely.
There are small tires on the shoulder connections, but I suppose they're too small to really make a difference. Smooth tires might work, but I'm not sure how well they'd flow with the spikes in the rest of the design.
I also take minor issue about the boxiness of the torso, but I can't say anything since I don't know what you had to work with or how you assembled it, so I guess it's fine.
It's mainly the latter - by the time I went to improve the model I would have had to entirely rebuild the torso.
My only real wish is that you could have found a way to fit the Mark into the MOC somehow, if only out of curiosity as to how one would look on a LEGO set. :P
The "canon" model replaces one of the black shoulder spike with this piece due to its similarity to his Mark.

Q2TtLEz.png

Overall? I liked it. The build looked very good, even from the banner; he looked like a lean, powerful warrior, and I like that look. I can see the reasons behind the gripes made previously. I have to say, my all out favorite part was the upper arms, just because I like that piece, and really like how you used it.While not perfect, it overall looks very appealing. If I had to make one nitpick, I'd say that the legs looked more like a standard Inika build legs, which contrasted not so nicely with the arms and body....You seriously inspired me to make an MOC of a BZPRPG character, just because of those pauldrons. Good job there. :P

• 2 weeks later...