BZPRPG - Kentoku Archipelago

Nuju Metru

IC:

"Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Senavysh. Normally this place would be much quieter, but..." Nihonei left the rest unspoken, instead choosing to refocus on Kulrik. She found the First Son's behavior a tad melodramatic, but to discard potential problems (or knowledge) for such a reason would be foolhardy. She indicated that she was listening just as one of her guards appeared.

.:All is well, Kiria.:. She relayed kindly, with a touch of amusement. .:Now, at least. Your presence is welcome, however.:.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

"If you'll just follow me" Kulrik told the other Menti.

He led the group, excluding Jiyu and his associate, back to the reading room he and Seigyo had originally been in. The strange sword, the root of the problem, lay on the table by the far end of the room. Kulrik walked and picked it up, making space for the others; the room hadn't been designed to fit so many people, so it was a little squished.

"Seigyo, I must apologize for making you listen to this twice, but it needs repeating."

The Vilda changed his attention to the ret of those gathered.

"Shortly before the former Empress' party as Chojo, I was on a diplomatic envoy to the Ageru to discuss possible alliances, trading and the such. While there Toroshu Kilanya was kind enough to personally give me a tour of her clan's lands. As we were exploring the more rural parts, however, the earth beneath our feet collapsed, submerging us in an underground tunnel. According to Kilanya, she was completely unaware of it's existence, and I'm inclined to believe her. The walls weren't naturally made, they were hewn, and following the passage led us to a crystal chamber. We were able to make our way inside, and there we found this."

Kulrik raised the weapon now.It was a crystal broadsword, but it looked completely strange.. Almost all blades and utensils were made of clear crystal, but this weapon was riddled with imperfections, hundreds or thousands of them within it's bowels and obscuring the image on the other side. There were only a handful of spots through which a Dasakacould see clearly through, but they obviously the exception to the rule. There was also a pale oval stone completely enveloped by the crystal of the sword, roughly midway up the blade. It could barely be glimpsed through the countless blemishes that surrounded it. 

"That's only where begins to get strange. When I struck the sword in the crystal chamber to test it's temper, the stone at the centre glowed red and Kilanya and myself were nearly incapacitated by a mental screaming. The only words we heard were 'The Children of Zataka' before I managed to resheathe it. Once we recovered we found a way aboveground, and in the time after I discovered another anomaly. I tried hitting the blade again and the stone shone like before, but there was no screaming - I thought I heard whisperings in the wind, but all Dashi around me just seems to ignore it. It took me awhile, but eventually I figured it out. The sword isn't a sword at all - it's a book! Those 'imperfections' are the just like the impressions you see when a bookmaker makes his product. By hitting the blade, vibrations activate the stone, which in turn 'opens' the words written within.  I believe the reason for the intense screaming that first time was the chamber itself - it acted as a super-reading room, augmenting the psionic frequencies a thousandfold than what we would hear here."

Kulrik met Toroshu Nihonei's eyes. 

"I tested my theory just before I came out asking you for help, Toroshu. This is what I heard."

The Vilda First son tapped the edge of the sword against the table, filling the room with red light words only a Menti could hear. He waited for the others' reactions. 

Edited by Toa Fanixe

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

You are strong and kinda smart, but not too much

Which Barraki are you?

Ic: It was the final lines of the book-sword that troubled Inokio the most. 

...the source of our materials, beneath a palace of crystal where She rises from her abode. A Child from a younger clan, the Dastana, discovered the place and arranged for a sanctuary to be carved out of the riches there, a place where our Lady may rest on her visits. This Key is the most lovely; they say that to see it is to see the beauty of our Lay incarnate...

...Together the Keys will unleash our bound power and the islands will quiver. Menti and Saihoko will stand watch silently in fear, for their world will be no more. It can -will! - overthrow the Rora's reign, and a new moon shall rise!:

Among the people present, Inokio likely knew the most about current events and the connection between the relic, its warnings and the Dastana clan were unmistakable. How aware were the current Dastana rulers about the artefact? he wondered. Did they know the were possibly the heralds of a prophesy? 

​Another possibility was simple: This could all be a hoax. Hatred of the Throne had been happening for years, long enough for people to fabricate everything, including a cellar, this sword and its discovery. Kulrik's clan-name indicated his loyalty and the Vilda, curiously, had aligned with the Dastana—another thing not to be overlooked. If the rebellion was validated by a prophesy, true or false, it could potentially grow in strength and gain followers. Faith, Inokio knew, was a powerful weapon when used to deceive. 

As the Battlemaster rose from his deep thoughts he became increasingly anxious and began to nervously tap his fingertips to each's opposite. Anything he'd considered couldn't be shared with the present company, however, so he merely filled the void with a simple, noncommittal, "Hm." 

The others looked at him, expecting a continuation of the thought, but received nothing  Ironically, his attempt at appearing not to have anything to share had only encouraged attention towards him and he recoiled inwardly, scrunching his brows together and frowning. "It's vexing, is all," he admitted, throwing the others off the trail he assumed to exist, and merely stared at the sword. Maybe if he glared at it sufficiently it would yield its secrets to him. 

Edited by Queen Anora Mac Tir

IC: (Senavysh Angavur)

There was something wrong with this, something that unnerved Sena to the core. Something struck her as familiar, be it the story or blade itself. Searching her mind, she remembered a lesson in her youth. One of her more eccentric elders had tried to teach her Old Taa, from an thick old tome that even scholars of the Old Taa language found challenging. She remembered passages the Amuka read to her, about an ancient, cruel warlord. That old woman had long since passed on, but she remembered the title of the book, The Heresies of Xhanok Zunostra.

She began to speak up.

"...There is an old Taajar text, one with only a few copies in existence. It is written in Taa so ancient that even scholars of Old Taa have trouble reading it. And since it involves the banned Old Gods, very little dare to pick it up. I'm one of the few to hear its words, from a strange elder long passed. It involves the then Taajar King of Oki, a prideful, cruel, and blasphemous man, who consulted foul sorcerers and ruled with black magic. His name was Zunostra the Bewitched. One day Zunostra, after going into a grove to partake in dark rituals, emerged in front of his Horde with a sword that glowed red. A light akin to fire, unearthly and inherently wrong. He proclaimed that he would be the conqueror of all the isles, and afterward which ascend to godhood. He thus lead his Horde to invade Odaiba."

"The squabbling Hordes of Odaiba united against the invader, my ancestors included, to face the blasphemer and his riders. Upon the plains of the south they fought, with Zunostra wielding his Witch-Sword to slew hundreds of warriors. But in his hubris, it was said Zunostra incurred the wrath of the Gods, who gave their blessing to the defenders. The invader's Horde was pushed unto the sea, with Zunostra being struck in the heart with an three arrows. They say his body was taken by a gigantic wave, and his blade disappeared. For the book said, no Taajar was meant to wield it."

She looked upon the sword with a dark look. "I do not know for certain that this is the same blade. Though by Mother Zuto, I am inclined to think it is. But whether or not it is or not, I still believe it is cursed. I feel absolutely no good will come of it. That if it has such powers, no person should be allowed to own it, or use it."

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

IC:

Kulrik's face was blank as he took in the words. 

The Battlemaster was obviously as clueless as Kulrik himself, unless Inokio knew something and was refusing to share. Kulrik wouldn't put it past the staunch supporter of Empress Yumiwa, considering the tensions going on in the Empire at present.  Senavysh's story was more disconcerting, however. The First Son had to admit, if Senavysh was anything to go by, the Taajar were far more beautiful and educated than he'd given them credit. He was certain now that he would have to.... Not now, Kulrik reminded himself. He looked at the others' to see if they knew anything more, but Kulrik thought their silence telling.

"I agree" Kulrik said. "Such awesome powers are beyond the scope of any Dasaka. If it were to fall in the wrong hands, any hands, it would prove a disaster. But I don't believe that this blade is cursed, nor that such powers reside within it. No, I am fearful of that which it talks about, the power hidden in a box by these 'Children of Zataka.'

"Consider this; the blade is beyond any craftsmanship that I know of. I doubt even our most talented Mindarms could produce such a treasure. It's legend alone was able to change the course of history of our Empire; if this Zunostra hadn't smashed his armies against the Hordes of Odabia because of it, who knows if the Umbralines would have ever been able to assume supremacy.

"And if Toroshu Senavysh's tale is true, the sword was created millennia ago - can you imagine how advanced this organization was? If they were able to make weapons like it, I am truly afraid when they call it a simple 'Key' to unlock something much greater. "

Kulrik paused, looking around the room. The rest of those present seemed to be waiting for him.

"That's why I've asked - am asking - for your help, to find the rest of the Keys. If they've been around as long as we think, there may already be those that have found them and begun a similar quest. In fact, I think it likely. Can you imagine the bloodbath that would ensue should the Fursics find them? Zataka, the current tensions in the Empire could all be because the Dastana have found a few of them and have grown bold!

'We must stop them, and now."

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

IC: (Senavysh Angavur)

"If we are to find them all, then we must destroy them all," Sena said. "No mortal should have such items."

I occasionally return to BZP for a nostalgic trip back. Hit me up on discord if you need anything. 

BZPRPG Characters that I will possibly revive, Mons-Shajs-Tarotrix-Aryll Vudigg-Jorruk Yokin-Senavysh Angavur

[sado, Imperial Library]

I giggled, incurring the quite a few glares from the assembled faces.

“Seriously--who ever this person was they were obviously better at crystal carving than composition.  It sounds like some junior priests attempt at being ominous.  And do you even know what this sword does?  Frankly, it doesn’t look that ominous to me.”

What I didn’t say was that I felt a sense of odd kinship with the sword.  It was ugly, imperfect like me.

Without warning, I scurried across the room and put a hand on the hilt.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

bLSFh.gif ylbon.gif KqsNO.gif zHdXI.gif CIPdo.gif

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC:

"But should they be found?" 

Nihonei had been silent since Kulrik began speaking, ensuring her ability to observe without the hindrance of commentary. The question was simple, but it cut to the very heart of the problem the scholar saw. The Toroshu didn't necessarily believe that the sword before them was that of legend, but the possibility could not be ignored. With one hand, the other crossed across her chest, she gestured to the blade.

"If we assume the worst, then whatever is inside the box is truly terrible. But we have they key. Finding the buried weapon, in this time, would be disastrous. It doesn't matter who lays their hands on it. Umbralines, Fursics, Dastana, blood would run regardless. Nor does history give society a good record for casting aside that which is too powerful for them to handle. There are agents," She paused, gaze lingering pointedly over both Inokio and Kulrik. "Of forces that would pay dearly to obtain such a power."

"Best to destroy the key, so that even if some poor soul in the future finds the box... They can't open it."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

"We have Key" Kulrik corrected Nihonei. "According to the sword, there is at least one other, and I would guess many more. Destroying this one won't necessarily stop another party from opening this 'box,' but it does hinder us from stopping them.

"Consider a door with a dozen seals. Simple logic might suggest you would have to remove each and every one to open the door and move forwards, but that isn't necessarily true. You could just get rid of most of them, say ten or eleven, and batter the door down with the last few still attached. And secondly, it's possible the Empire might one day need such a power. We all know what the Chaotic Six were able to do in such a short time. Who's to say that there aren't more beings like them, that they aren't raising an army on Mata-Nui to wage against us? If that happened, we would need every bit of help we can get. I say we stop whoever else might be looking for them, find the Keys and study them and the power they release. If it's too dangerous, destroy it; if not, keep the Keys safe against the day we need them."

Suddenly Jiyu's companion appeared in the reading room, flying forward and putting her hand on the hilt. Kulrik was still holding it and naturally had the better grip. He ripped away from the hideous Menti and pushed her back towards the others. He held the sword behind him, his other hand raised forward and ready to summon a Soulsword.

Kulrik wasn't sure how she'd gotten in the room; perhaps she'd followed the group and snuck in after the last person, hiding by the door? That must have been what happened, Kulrik told himself. They would have to be more careful in the future.

"And so it appears the other side has already sent one of their agents against us" Kulrik said, glaring at the intruder. 

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?

I have often seen young men sneer the minute they pass by me, disappointed at what they have just seen.  This young man seems to be the kind who classifies women by their appearance, who enjoys golf and going to parties at the imperial hotel.

~ Hirabayashi Taiko, Azakeru (trans.Yukiko Tanaka)

[sado, Imperial Library]

Well some people are just rude, but if I’m anything it’s fast on my feet (well, not literally, but you know what I mean.)

“Oh come on, Kulrikky,” I practically cooed at him.  “I just wanted to touch…”

I dropped my voice low at that.  Whatever other virtues I lack, I must say that I do have a very good voice.  I can make going to roll a spool of silk thread sound absolutely filthy (not to flatter myself, but I have started a euphemism or two.)

Contrary to what might be considered sane in normal circumstances, I started walking towards him.  I knew I was playing with fire here--but I estimated that he wasn’t jumpy enough to fire off a soulsword accidentally.  I took my time, sashaying up to him while looking him up and down hungrily.  Whatever might be inside that head of his--I had to admit that he looked good enough to eat.  (I’ve never felt attracted to anyone but males.  Weird, I know, and I’ve considered quite a few times that whoever decides things up there must have a very cruel sense of humor).

“Besides,” I continued.  I’d finally reached him, and a trailed my hand up his outstretched arm ever so gently.  “I think you’ve forgotten what Zataka calls her own.  As I remember, it was masculinity and--oh--yes beauty.”  I looked up at him; we were close enough to feel each other’s breath. “Perhaps you’re the one we should be suspicious of, Kulrikky dear.”

• Upvote 2

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

IC:

wheet-WHOOOOOOOT

The whistle broke slowly, easily, like the crashing of a small wave; Jasik leaned against a table, balancing his weight on one palm and standing with crossed ankles. His eyes - golden topaz, sly eyes - watched Kulrik push the Plangori back and step forward defensively; all other eyes had gone to him.

"Forgive me for interrupting," he said, all bright smiles and amiability. "But I heard someone mention beauty...and if you don't mind me saying, this is a lot of ruckus for a library."

One black sash was wrapped around his forehead, and another coiled down his right arm like a snake and drew in a tight, fashionable noose around his right palm. The rest of him gleamed like the sun, orange-and-gold coat with a neckline trailing down to the end of his heartlight, high golden boots, and half a charm around his neck. 

"I came to check something out," Jasik declared with easy confidence. "A few candles...some history books..." A Toroshu.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

[sado, Imperial Library]

Well, paint me red and call me a fireflower.  While I didn’t trust Jasik far enough to spit, I had to admit he was a lot smarter that Kulrik, and a several levels more interesting.

“Well you know,” I said, looking sideways at him.  “That’s what happens when you pull out a magic sword in full view of everyone for the sake of dramatic tension.”

Edited by Mel

[BZPRPG Profiles]

IC: Seiryu

Meanwhile, Seiryu was trying to read.

In the second year of the Reign of Empress Yusaria, the Rora fell ill to an unidentified-

-The Children of Zataka is an order most holy, charged with a divine task from the Great Spirit-

-the symptoms included a high fever, intense nausea, delirium, and towards the end of her life, dysentery-

-Her sovereignty over all. Society as it exists is blinded by the Twin's overbearing glare, unable to see the path forward. It is under-

-the cause of the Rora's death remained unknown up until the the fifteenth year of the reign of Empress Yusanora, when a certain toxin from-

-Like our Lady's progeny we are few in number yet great in strength. Like our Lady's progeny we are scattered amongst the clans, as metal amongst the dirt. Like our Lady's progeny we are different. We are the-

What was going on?

Was something from the next room over overpowering his book?

"Should I confront them?"

"... They wouldn't dare to make an attempt on my life in such a place, would they...?"

Exiting the room and putting his book back (his concentration had been shattered; no more reading today), he sat outside in the main area, observing a particularly cramped reading room. "What are they doing in there?" he silently thought.

Ic: Inokio tensed slightly, recoiling his brows low and suspiciously with the advent of Jasik's golden voice. As a retainer and warrior his mind swerved to gauge the room's balance of power. He was outnumbered;, Jasik, Kulrik and his handmaiden made three; Inokio could only count the Tajaar on his side by virtue of the culture's loyalty to the rora, but even then Senavysh might only act under the command of the sovereign. Everyone else was a neutral party at best and a wild card at worst. Still, Inokio could take them if he had to.

He cast an accusing glance at Jasik and balefully toyed with the idea of slaying him on the spot and then Kulrik, ridding the revolution of a key member and asset in one fell swoop. It was a vain idea—Inokio would have to surrender to justice and become the undoing of Umbraline dignity—so he put it to rest. Still, it was an amusing concept in theory. Maybe even a challenge. 

Jasik was on the more cautious side. Inokio had nothing to fear from him, not there, not then, so the battlemaster reverted his face to neutral and simply gave the other First Sons present a wide enough berth to be courteous. For a while more, Inokio would simply be the fly on the wall, observing and discovering but never acting unless threatened. He knew he'd see battle in time, anyway.

• Upvote 1

IC:

"You'll forgive me if I don't partake." Jasik's smile could have cut more than any magic sword. "It's been a very hectic few weeks. Suffice it to say I'm still recovering from noble Rayuke's verdict yesterday morning. Today is my first day as a real boy again." 

His eyes, taking notes of the noble (and less noble) faces of all present, drifted to the bookcase; seemingly at a whim, he grabbed a book by the binding with two fingers and pulled it into a waiting hand. He let his gaze wander over the shelves full of old tomes and histories, but all they found was Inokio Korae. His smile...changed. Nothing tangible, no shrinking or widening, but nonetheless Jasik's face seemed to ripple as though Inokio's face were a stone to be skipped across the sea.

"Tell your charge I'm sorry for her loss," the Twin requested of Inokio, his famous smile changing again. "I've found it in me to sympathize, given the recent loss of my own beloved mother with no hope of royal justice."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

"I believe the Chojo is inside. Doubtless she is already aware that we are here. Nevertheless..."

.:Lady Desdemona. I apologize for yet another intrusion from myself, but Toroshu Morie would like to speak with you, if you have the time.:.

IC:

Sniff.

.:Thank you, ma'am. I'll be just a minute.:.

Sniff.

Des Umbraline was a good princess, and even under duress no one could say she'd abandoned her manners.

Her relationship with her sister was notoriously rocky, but all the same...the Plangori Toroshu was outside, maybe even right by the door, and Desdemona would not let the Chojo be seen crying. She stood up and walked over to her looking glass, wiping at her eyes desperately until they appeared more of a navy blue than tear-streaked red. She ran her hand over her nose and cheeks and mouth several times, until she had wiped the weariness and hurt and Yumi's dismissal away from her youthful face. Des considered dressing up in something, but she preferred the basic crystalline armor and her deep purple shawl. For safety, she threw on the crown of the Chojo anyway - as much as she hated the thing it would not do to appear anything less than official.

She was a good princess. And she always remembered her duties.

On her way to the door she wondered how she would have fared with a different surname. Eiyu, maybe. Or Vilda. Or even...

"Plangori Morie." She opened up the door with her default soft smile and doe-eyes, tracing the door's hinge with a small hand. "I am so sorry for your wait. I understand you've spent most of the day here. As you can see, things have been...trying, of late."

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Ic: Of course Jasik's first reaction would be smooth diplomatic politesse—it was required of his station. His expressed feelings were either completely sincere or extremely duplicitous, but it didn't matter—Inokio's response would have to be the same either way, not because he had only one reaction to give but because he, like the other First Son, was a victim of his position's protocol. 

He pushed his feelings aside, and oh! how he loathed it! He detested the politician's game everyone played at by obligation. Politics wasn't ever something Inokio pretended to be any good at but dutifully complied with. Looking Jasik dead in the eye and wishing he could put an end to the Dastana revolution before it got off the ground—ignite nodachi, overwhelm Jasik in two quick moves, disembowel on the third; extend nodachi towards Kulrik, Mindarm-pull Kulrik into the waiting blade, pull sword up his spine, retract; simple!—he nodded solemnly, graciously even, and chose to side with traditional unbiased Umbraline dignity. "I will do so. I'm sure the feeling is mutual." 

He almost bit his tongue off in the process but he managed to finish with head held high. He did it.

IC:

"Good. The troubled times in the streets are our doing as much as they are hers, but I sincerely wish it weren't so. I hope she does not doubt that either." Jasik's smile could have meant anything; smooth enamel and cobbled together with the pieces of a million attitudes, the upstart's grin was as bright as the Zataka charm around his neck. "I'm sure the Rora will benefit from her empathy in the days ahead, as she does from sharing the counsel of such a...renowned poet."

I know. I know what you are. His smile told nothing. Could a smile be just a smile? When was it a facetious expression, and when did it have a deeper meaning? I know what you want.

Jasik reached up and pulled away a thick bestiary, binding clouded in a thin shroud of dust, from over Inokio's shoulder.

-Tyler

Edited by Tyler Durden

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Ic: Inokio's heart beat faster, and if his mask wasn't in the way it would be plain that his face was ashen. Jasik knew. Hairs at the back of his neck stood at attention before promptly smoothing themselves flat when he quickly regained composure. 

The battlemaster slid his feet to the side to give Jasik a berth while he withdrew the volume, but was it more a retreat from the dust or from Jasik? Even he wasn't sure. At such close proximity, the Dastana's breath was sweet and soft as chocolate silk, novel and liberal like the spirit of his revolution. 

"Hm," he said. "So my clan-mother has shared my correspondences with you," he drawled. His voice was sweet, too, but not flowery; it didn't spill like scented oil. His was like an incomplete perfume, first fresh and ambrosial but then turning insipid after a short while, lacking the required undertones; it was a gas with which to leave an unseen trail. "Do you... like them?" he inquired in earnest, as if he were an insecure artist who suddenly met someone familiar with his work and was desperate for a fan's approval.

Everything was all moving far quicker than Inokio ever expected. Was he ready? No, but he would be; he'd no doubts of his practicality but he wondered if he was ready to be ready

IC:

"Ad-ject-ives." Jasik made every syllable into its own unique drawl while he drummed his fingers across the bindings of tomes century old, searching for books seemingly at random. "I like the way you use them. Very descriptive. I wouldn't have pegged you for such an emotive man." It was his first clear fib; Inokio's fingers fidgeted with themselves, and his guarded neutrality had given way the moment the word poet left the First Son's lips. Ah-ha.

He'd found the book he was looking for and pulled it off the shelf reverently, staring at the cover. 

"The Life and Times of Rora Yunara, of Blessed Memory," Jasik recited diligently. He pursed through the pages irreverently and his smile grew with each flick of parchment. "Toroshu, I'm impressed. Yours is the only complete copy of this biography I've ever seen. The library at Iki is missing sixteen scrolls. I'll be sure to treat this with care, and have them returned by midnight." His gaze drifted - from Kulrik, the would-be treasure hunter, to the Plangori staring him down, to Jiyu Herupa who had entered the room. The grin he gave Jiyu was nothing less than brotherly; the appearance of the Steward seemed to have pleased him.

"We're having a gathering tonight tonight, to celebrate the declaration of my innocence at last," Jasik told the reading room at large. "And to celebrate the failure of the attempt on Herupa Jiyu's life. Open invitation," he added, sharing a final smile with suddenly-earnest Inokio before walking towards the exit to the reading room. He was halfway there before he turned and nodded gracefully at Kulrik.

"Of course, not at the expense of your dungeon crawl," he said, mouth twitching at the corner. "You can never go wrong with a prophecy."

And then Jasik took his leave, almost as unceremoniously as he'd arrived.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

Ic: Inokio exhaled long and hard as if he'd maintained the same breath ever since Jasik's first word to him, but his anxiety continued to hound him—

his knees knocked under his robe, tap tap tap—

his toes curled and unfurled time and again within his shoes, he could feel the bones creaking—

his heart continued its dramatic percussion in his chest, boom boom boom—

his fingers incessantly tapped together, it sounded like a moth's flight to the flame—

inhale, exhale—

He would get through this. This wasn't the first attack. It wouldn't be the last. He had to get though this. The thoughts swirling in the safe confines of his venerable brain drudged up his long-past mistakes, forgotten conversations with informants black, every line of every letter he'd send to his toroshu—

"YOU ARE A BLACK CHILD!"

"You'll be Atramantous. That's what I'll call you."

"What's that mean?"

"It means you are a man—an' you mustn't ever forget it."

"How else can you reach purity as a child of Zataka, I wonder?"

"I am already pure—pure black."

Images in his head. Screaming. Crying. Bloodshed. He couldn't move, nothing budged.

​A macabre hanging. Rivulets of blood defacing the diamond floor. Plip! Plop! Plip!

​He was logical. Sensible. Everything checked out. There was nothing to worry about. 

But what if there was???

Oh.

He was drowning in his anxiety. He swallowed water. No, not water, nothing. He'd  forgotten to breathe.

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale—- careful!—inhale... exhale... inhale......... exhale......... inhale..............

Exhale. Inhale.

He was back to the present. It couldn't have been more than thirty seconds since Jasik left the room but a lifetime had flashed in Inokio's mind.

"My clan-mother shouldn't have shared my private poems," he finally said, rather convincingly, to explain his panic. He sheepishly smiled and scratched his chin in agitation. "I'll have to talk with her. Goddess-forbid she's having them published!

"But, er, you'll forgive me." He glanced at everyone else in the room. They seemed to be buying it—seemed being the key word—was there anything for them to be buying, anyway? This was clearly the effect anyone would have if their diary or sketchbook, a treasured possession held tighter than a sword's hilt, were exposed and pored over by characters unknown. Everyone could relate to that much—things would be okay. "This sword of yours is much more important than my private work going public."

That, as it were, was his first lie of the day. 

IC:

Kulrik watched in confusion and apprehension as Shuann swung her hips from side to side, slowly walking up to him. It made no sense to the First Son. How could someone so ugly act... like that!? There he was with his arm outstretched, his energies focused to materialize a Soulsword in an instant, yet Shuuan marched enticingly towards him with complete confidence.

“Oh come on, Kulrikky, I just wanted to touch…”

His faced burned.

He hated that name, especially coming from her, from that sweet, inviting voice. That look on her face, why did it seem so familiar? Of course, Kulrik realized, I've worn it so often myself. 

Shuuan was getting closer now, prompting Kulrik to take two nervous steps back, knocking into the table against the wall. The First Son tried to protest, but  couldn't find the words. Still the Plangori came, and now she was right in front of him, their bodies almost touching as he felt her breath on his neck. She began to rub his arm and mouth accusations, made soft by her silky voice. Kulrik blinked, forgetting where he was and who he saw as habit kicked, and he began to lean down...

Jasik entered, breaking the reverie. The world came back into view, and the Dastana and Inokio began the political dance. Kulrik had learned that much from his mother. When two great individuals were being overly polite to and kind to one another, they were actually trading barbs and strikes, their words as sharp as any knife. Kulrik didn't especially like the Dastana prince - he was too cool, too aloof, too charming. Competition for me, Kulrik conceded, but his name means much more in the Empire. They were allies, technically, since the Vilda obviously supported the upstart clan, but Kulrik didn't see them as such. Kulrik was a male, and whatever game was being played, he would not benefit from it, of that he was certain.

Finally Jasik left, leaving the party to process the exchange. Inikio seemed especially hurt. Kulrik could see the Battlemaster begin to shake, his limbs twitching nervously and then... it was over. 

"But, er, you'll forgive me.This sword of yours is much more important than my private work going public."

Kulrik arched an eyebrow questioningly. Either Inikio was very good at hiding his emotions, or something else was afoot. Kulrik lowered his eyebrow after moment, conceding that if there was anything wrong, there was little chance it would affect Kulrik or the sword.

"I'm sorry that that is happening against your will, I can understand what a betrayal that must feel like to you. But you're right, this sword is more important. If the Empire fell, I don't think many minds would be on books."

Shuuan was still disturbingly close so Kulrik put his hand on her her elbow and firmly pushed her away to an arms length. He looked at the group assembled in  the room. "Now, once we figure out what to do with this Plangori,  I think that if we are to begin on this quest to find and secure the Keys, we should head to Iki. That is, if you'd like to join and help make the Empire a safer place. "

Quiz by TheQuizzery.com

kalmah.png

Which Barraki are you?