Ultimate Bionicle Checklist Redux

Ektris

Well I don't mean to drag this on but if you notice in the pic with the masks, there is a brown mask of water, a brown mask of ice, and a brown mask of fire. I was saying that this could imply that every mask might be available in every different color, but my question about this is that were they exclusive to the Lego store free build session or should we plan to see these different colored masks as collectibles in the future?

In the image gallery you linked to, I do not see any such image with those masks in those colors. If you are referring to this specific one (image 14/20), those are the gold masks.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Bricklink says the Golden Lhikan Hau is a different colour slightly, but I've heard from TLH that it isn't. Could it be possible that it was printed slightly differently like the masks of the Voya Nui matoran?

Pre-forums purge sig kept for historical purposes:

Some cool Bionicles are the combiners. Example: Toa Jovan

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

http://www.bzpower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=309724

Bricklink says the Golden Lhikan Hau is a different colour slightly, but I've heard from TLH that it isn't. Could it be possible that it was printed slightly differently like the masks of the Voya Nui matoran?

Now that's a first to me. I'd wager it's just people not sure what color it's meant to be in the past and just listed it as either, thus causing Bricklink to now list it as available in two.

But that does remind me -- Does anyone else think that the second Great Rau should be removed?

---

Feel like I should let everyone know that the mask list has been slightly updated with the 8th new solid gold mask - the Skull Spider! I've also been unsuccessful in finding the two Hordika masks left, so this weekend will likely take some pictures of my own parts to fill those slots.

Also, for all those that were interested in a combiner list, this new topic might interest you. :)

~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

Now that's a first to me. I'd wager it's just people not sure what color it's meant to be in the past and just listed it as either, thus causing Bricklink to now list it as available in two.

But that does remind me -- Does anyone else think that the second Great Rau should be removed?

---

Feel like I should let everyone know that the mask list has been slightly updated with the 8th new solid gold mask - the Skull Spider! I've also been unsuccessful in finding the two Hordika masks left, so this weekend will likely take some pictures of my own parts to fill those slots.

Also, for all those that were interested in a combiner list, this new topic might interest you. :)

~|ET|~

Yep, the two colours are pretty similar... It says the same thing about his gold Toa Hagah Iruni staff.

And yeah, I've heard on TFW2005's Bionicle topic the Metru masks were printed with a lighter or darker shade on the 2006 Matoran, or at least Velika & Dalu. Not sure if counts or not.

I've built a Krahka with 5 Toa Metru & Toa Norik, adding parts I needed to Norik. It needs 11 blue pieces (the ones that have +&O ends) but there's only 10 in all the Toa Metru sets. Do I have to attach her launcher to her arm? Please PM me if you can help me.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the 2015 Protector masks and the Metru Red Komau?

I'm under the impression that he's waiting for Lego to release official images of the masks by themselves and the Metru Red Komau was from a Chinese bootleg set, so it's not an official collectible.

- :t: :l: :h:

Was there ever a confirmation about that? In the thread it's left unanswered, just a suspicion.

I believe you, TLH, had something with there being two Copper Hunas, one being the US version?

And I assume the Silver Huna, Metru Red Noble Huna, Dark Blue Matatu, Pearl Gold Avohkii and Gunmetal Kraahkan, as well as those on the prototype Sand Tarakava and Manas don't count as they are all prototypes?

And are there really just four poisoned Hau Nuvas? Because Bricklink only lists 3.

And do the 2006 Nestle promotion's Kanoka and Rhotuka count?

Edited by TomRoid

Yeah, sorry, been busy and not paying too much attention here... Should be back though!

I'm under the impression that he's waiting for Lego to release official images of the masks by themselves and the Metru Red Komau was from a Chinese bootleg set, so it's not an official collectible.

That is correct. In fact, that is one of the very first things I stated in the first post...

Although if anyone who has the early review samples is reading this and wants to scan the boxes of the Protectors for those masks, I'd consider them suitable placeholders. :P

I believe you, TLH, had something with there being two Copper Hunas, one being the US version?

And I assume the Silver Huna, Metru Red Noble Huna, Dark Blue Matatu, Pearl Gold Avohkii and Gunmetal Kraahkan, as well as those on the prototype Sand Tarakava and Manas don't count as they are all prototypes?

And are there really just four poisoned Hau Nuvas? Because Bricklink only lists 3.

And do the 2006 Nestle promotion's Kanoka and Rhotuka count?

Haha darn, was hoping nobody would bring that up... I've always taken the difference as negligible. Some slight transparency is the only difference I believe, but that mileage might even vary for all I know.

I don't think they should count, no. That is why I do not have the silver Huna, pearl gold Avhokii, nor gunmetal Kraahkan or the Rahi masks on the list. The Matatu and Huna, as I explained before, were discovered well before the big box o' prototypes was bequethed unto the fanbase and were considered misprints. And when I brought them up earlier in this topic, the impression I got was to keep at least the Matatu as apparently there's a couple of them around. But I very much do wish to remove them... As an aside, I was actually checking some old bookmarks this weekend out of nostalgia and discovered my web archive link of the old mask page from the official BIONICLE website. This had in it a list of all the rares and variants officially recognized by them, and that included many of the misprints. I'd link it if I were on that laptop and had it (might edit tonight with that if I remember). But basically I'd like to use that as justification for keeping the original 2001 misprints regarded as official collectibles for this list and removing the white Huna, dark blue Matatu, and dark red Huna.

When they came out, it was agreed upon that there are four: red forehead, green stripe, green forehead, and thick green forhead (naming aside, that's the general consensus). The amount of green in general present on the fourth is noticeably different from the third. Has that consensus changed since?

Aren't those Rhotuka just silver...? Or am i thinking of the wrong ones?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

~|ET|~

Yup.

Biopromoad.png

6993parts.png

6995parts.png

Brown_Piraka_Avak_Nestle.PNG

reidak.jpg

jaller.jpg

hahli.jpg

Granted, they aren't really "true" Rhotuka, with their fixed rotary piece.

Also, they seem to have their own four-digit item numbers...

@ET: the four Corrupt Hau Nuvas weren't just decided by consensus. They actually each have a unique mask code on the inside of the bridge of the nose, from 1-01 to 4-01. For example, "Double Green Forehead" is #4-01 if I remember correctly.

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

~|ET|~

Yup.

Granted, they aren't really "true" Rhotuka, with their fixed rotary piece.

Also, they seem to have their own four-digit item numbers...

Oh, those! Yeah, I was way off in my thinking. :lol:

Not real Kanoka and Rhotuka in my eyes.

@ET: the four Corrupt Hau Nuvas weren't just decided by consensus. They actually each have a unique mask code on the inside of the bridge of the nose, from 1-01 to 4-01. For example, "Double Green Forehead" is #4-01 if I remember correctly.

Oh, thank you! I did not recall that at all and only have one version for reference heh.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

Yeah, sorry, been busy and not paying too much attention here... Should be back though!

That is correct. In fact, that is one of the very first things I stated in the first post...

Although if anyone who has the early review samples is reading this and wants to scan the boxes of the Protectors for those masks, I'd consider them suitable placeholders. :P

Haha darn, was hoping nobody would bring that up... I've always taken the difference as negligible. Some slight transparency is the only difference I believe, but that mileage might even vary for all I know.

~|ET|~

I'm pretty sure there is always a distinct difference in transparency between the 2 versions. One lets no light through like a normal Lego piece, and the other lets light through, making it easy to tell the difference, especially when a light is put behind them. I think they're enough of a difference to be separate on the list.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

I'm pretty sure there is always a distinct difference in transparency between the 2 versions. One lets no light through like a normal Lego piece, and the other lets light through, making it easy to tell the difference, especially when a light is put behind them. I think they're enough of a difference to be separate on the list.

Fair enough. But uh... Any suggestion on how to convey that?? I was able to with the Rau (which is a somewhat similar case) thanks to using different source images from LEGO that were coincidentally shaded differently enough to show the difference on the list. But I'm not sure that a photograph of one copper Huna would look all the different from another.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

Fair enough. But uh... Any suggestion on how to convey that?? I was able to with the Rau (which is a somewhat similar case) thanks to using different source images from LEGO that were coincidentally shaded differently enough to show the difference on the list. But I'm not sure that a photograph of one copper Huna would look all the different from another.

~|ET|~

Just put little black text on the corner of the mask image saying "US" or "UK". That should do it. Or find images of the 2 masks being held up to light.

EDIT: Ooh, found a picture:

hunacomp.gif

US version is on left. UK version is on right.

Edited by SuperGeniusCreator
  • Upvote 1

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Here is that archive link I mentioned.

Added the second copper Huna and took the opportunity to remove the questionable prototypes as well.

~|ET|~

Neat, but one of those LEGO Alarm clocks was actually very useful for mask collecting? Huh.

Seeing them officially acknowledged makes me want to get the misprints...  :P

Are we still going to keep at least one of the "different" Toa Metru/Voyatoran masks? (Incidentally, I picked up a Rau in a order of Bionicles and am wondering if it's Dalu's)

I suggest you make a checklist of the oddball "masks" like the Lego Sports hockey masks which attached like a Bionicle mask, Hydraxon's mask, and other masks that aren't Kanohi.

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

Hail Denmark.

Does Bricklink have a way of identifying between the Copper masks?

I suggest you make a checklist of the oddball "masks" like the Lego Sports hockey masks which attached like a Bionicle mask, Hydraxon's mask, and other masks that aren't Kanohi.

The hockey masks absolutely do not belong on a Bionicle checklist. There are plenty of things that attach to Mata heads that aren't masks, they don't need listing here!

Does Bricklink have a way of identifying between the Copper masks?

Only if the seller has listed a custom description of the item. You'd still have to manually search through all the for sale listings to find the one you want though and it would still be mostly down to luck as few vendors realise there are two types!

• Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

That'll be interesting then.

Is it fair to count unreleased sets of the Kraatu and other promos, or does that just imply Bricklink-'d sets count for a checklist of one's own?

Thanks to today's BIONICLE.com update, I should finally be able to satisfactorily complete the mask checklist. ^_^ It'll be down sometime within the next week (probably once I'm not on vacation lol).

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

That'll be interesting then.

Is it fair to count unreleased sets of the Kraatu and other promos, or does that just imply Bricklink-'d sets count for a checklist of one's own?

Good point... I managed to build a Kraatu ust from spare parts I already had (before I even realised it was an unreleased set) so I have it checked on my list but only in orange (unboxed) and sadly it will never be green :(

Speaking of which, does anyone know which (if any) of the other Polybag promos were never released? I know all of the 2006 promos were (but I'm not sure about Piraka Catapult or Give Away). I still have yet to see a bagged 2007 Good Guy, 2008 Good Guy, 2008 Function or 2008 Bad Guy. Can anyone else confirm or refute the existence of these?

Looking for VMKK, GPKK, SSKK, and a gold Kanoka. PM if you have / know of any for sale!

No idea sadly... I've built all of them from parts and am bricklinking the bits I don't have on hand but have never seen them for sale bagged. I've never seen it said that they weren't released though, is it on the wikis?

Speaking of which, does anyone know which (if any) of the other Polybag promos were never released? I know all of the 2006 promos were (but I'm not sure about Piraka Catapult or Give Away). I still have yet to see a bagged 2007 Good Guy, 2008 Good Guy, 2008 Function or 2008 Bad Guy. Can anyone else confirm or refute the existence of these?

I think the only polybags not released (as in, no image of them as physical, actual sets exist) were Kraatu, the two 2006 playset ones, Good Guy 07 and all of the 2008 ones.

By the way, Bricklink lists the "Piraka & Catapult" set as 2007... Should this be ignored?

:|

I just figured they were all released somehow. Huh...

----

Stuck in the airport for 3.5 hours got me bored enough to finish the mask checklist. I'll still probably update the Skull Spider masks if we get better pictures than instructions, but for now, at least everything is filled in.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

:|

I just figured they were all released somehow. Huh...

----

Stuck in the airport for 3.5 hours got me bored enough to finish the mask checklist. I'll still probably update the Skull Spider masks if we get better pictures than instructions, but for now, at least everything is filled in.

~|ET|~

Well, they're still listed on sites like Bricklink and Brickset among released sets, constructable from pre-existing parts and are in no way unreleased like the Sand Tarakava or Matoran Sphere carrying vehicle.

...I don't know, I personally think we should still list them.

I agree, they should absolutely stay on the checklist. I was just trying to suss out which ones I won't be able to get MISB, for those of us OCD enough to buy things new and keep all of our old boxes and polybags... Maybe that's just me and you, Munty :P

I agree, they should absolutely stay on the checklist. I was just trying to suss out which ones I won't be able to get MISB, for those of us OCD enough to buy things new and keep all of our old boxes and polybags... Maybe that's just me and you, Munty :P

Hah maybe! I'm just happy to know I'm not completely alone!!!

Love the updated Kanohi checklist!  Are you considering adding the trans-orange Hau/Mask of Fire to the list?

Do those count as prototypes?

Love the updated Kanohi checklist!  Are you considering adding the trans-orange Hau/Mask of Fire to the list?

First, thank you. :) Second, my problem with that lies here:

Do those count as prototypes?

We don't know its real status. :(

Its seemingly large numbers (I really should see if we can get an estimate on them...) might imply otherwise. But we really don't know what they were made for. Still seem rather prototype-like to me, and since I just went through and deleted some that probably were...

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

After a little more investigating, I feel more confident now in deciding to exclude the transparent orange Mask of Fire from the mask checklist on the basis of being a pre-production item.

While certainly they are seemingly more plentiful than some others, how they were given out and with what does implicate them as prototypes.

---

Anybody think more labels might be beneficial to some of the lists? Like maybe the Kraata one to say the colors for each set of six, or some separation on the masks list for generations?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

If it helps at all (and is anything at all like what you mean!) I rejigged your kanohi checklist recently to help me decide which ones to build displays for and Hau. I mean how... Anyway, you see I put the Mata, noble and Nuva masks together and then grouped the others as logically as I could. Unfortunately, I took out all the check boxes because this is something I made for my personal use (from your work I should point out ;)) If it's of any use to anyone at all please feel free to take it. I've certainly found your checklists to be invaluable in amassing my collection thus far!

Also I know this is not quite up to date with your current version as it was done before the prototypes were removed and the pre-pro Hau was omitted. But I reckon you guys can figure that out without my help!

ALSO : I recall ADDING at least 2 more masks I think as I was trying to be as thorough as possible. I know Maxilos was one but think there was/were more.

MaskDisplays_zps7f4eb4e3.png

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah so I got lazy again and haven't done much work lately. Not that there was much more than fiddling, but still. :P

What you posted is basically what I was considering, Munty. Just still maintaining the minimalist approach to white space I like heh.

Majhost is down right now, so I know I don't have anything to point to clearly (should probably update my Flickr mirrors since those are quite outdated...), but I'm still not really satisfied with the pictures used for the Skull Spider masks. They're from the online instructions and those were disappointingly grainy, so anyone know if anything better is online anywhere yet (that doesn't involve them with legs attached)?

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

Here:-

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=20251

There's a large picture of the silver one and a reasonably sized picture of the yellowish green one but the dark blue one isn't up yet and neither is the gold one. I've been working on inventorying the new sets but it's tough as many of the new parts still haven't been approved yet...