2016: What do you want?

Cwog

Rather, I think "drone enemies" are just an effective set of foes for the start of a theme like Bionicle. At this point, new fans are still just getting to know the Toa themselves. They don't need a set of foes with their own complex and diverse personalities to be foisted on them before they've even gotten used to the story's heroes.

The Morbuzahk in early 2004 is another example of a villain that's minor enough to leave nearly all the spotlight for the heroes to be introduced in.

Right! You know, sometimes I forget about the Morbuzahk, because it tested the Toa when they were new and young, but it left the spotlight on them. Rather insignificant, really, but was a worthy opponent at the time. I feel that that's the role the Lord of Skull Spiders took... that is, if he really is gone now. I think he might come back.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Rather, I think "drone enemies" are just an effective set of foes for the start of a theme like Bionicle. At this point, new fans are still just getting to know the Toa themselves. They don't need a set of foes with their own complex and diverse personalities to be foisted on them before they've even gotten used to the story's heroes.

The Morbuzahk in early 2004 is another example of a villain that's minor enough to leave nearly all the spotlight for the heroes to be introduced in.

God yes, the Morbuzahk. Remembering it makes me insanely glad about the inclusion of Skull Spiders in the new Toa and Protector sets. They may not be much, but they provide much more potential for conflict play than the 2004 winter wave, which only had a single tangible villain (Ahkmou), who was never a major threat in direct combat and was not even revealed to have been villainous until midway through that year's story.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

God yes, the Morbuzahk. Remembering it makes me insanely glad about the inclusion of Skull Spiders in the new Toa and Protector sets. They may not be much, but they provide much more potential for conflict play than the 2004 winter wave, which only had a single tangible villain (Ahkmou), who was never a major threat in direct combat and was not even revealed to have been villainous until midway through that year's story.

Yeah, I was never a fan of enemies like the Morbuzakh that didn't actually exist in a form that you could play with. A lot of the enemies in the Throwbots and Roboriders themes had the same problem — they were entirely non-LEGO entities. Even Makuta in 2001 had this issue to some extent, though it wasn't nearly so bad in that case because at least then you had the Rahi for the Toa to fight.

Hopefully by the time the rebooted storyline gets to the point where there's going to be an actual, physical confrontation with Makuta, he will be in some physical form, so we don't have to simply "imagine" the villain again. I get that LEGO is about imagination, but you're supposed to be able to build the things from your imagination, not imagine them because they have some nebulous form that can't be built.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was never a fan of enemies like the Morbuzakh that didn't actually exist in a form that you could play with. A lot of the enemies in the Throwbots and Roboriders themes had the same problem — they were entirely non-LEGO entities. Even Makuta in 2001 had this issue to some extent, though it wasn't nearly so bad in that case because at least then you had the Rahi for the Toa to fight.

Hopefully by the time the rebooted storyline gets to the point where there's going to be an actual, physical confrontation with Makuta, he will be in some physical form, so we don't have to simply "imagine" the villain again. I get that LEGO is about imagination, but you're supposed to be able to build the things from your imagination, not imagine them because they have some nebulous form that can't be built.

Yeah. I imagine us getting the Protector-sized Makuta first, but then he gets his hands on the Mask of Ultimate Power and turns red and black and gigantic again. That'd be an awesome doomsday kind of scenario: The island is shaking, falling apart, and Ekimu is powerless to stop it all. Cue the Toa, rushing in to save Okoto from evil in their greatest act of heroism. I can totally imagine it ending with Lewa or Pohatu speeding in, and stealing the MoUP, then handing it off to Kopaka. He freezes it, making it brittle and fragile, then he tosses it on the ground. Onua raises his hammer in both hands, and slams down on the mask with all his elemental power. That would be cool.

4oIeWSz.jpgUhL9N9c.jpg8UUsogq.jpgzIJn7N0.jpg

Yeah. I imagine us getting the Protector-sized Makuta first, but then he gets his hands on the Mask of Ultimate Power and turns red and black and gigantic again. That'd be an awesome doomsday kind of scenario: The island is shaking, falling apart, and Ekimu is powerless to stop it all. Cue the Toa, rushing in to save Okoto from evil in their greatest act of heroism. I can totally imagine it ending with Lewa or Pohatu speeding in, and stealing the MoUP, then handing it off to Kopaka. He freezes it, making it brittle and fragile, then he tosses it on the ground. Onua raises his hammer in both hands, and slams down on the mask with all his elemental power. That would be cool.

Maybe all six Toa could combine their elemental powers à la the Toa Metru to seal the Mask away, which of course would open possibilities in future years for it to return to the story.

banner.jpg

• 3 months later...

I really like the idea of more villagers/islanders. I would like to see a small, very simple villager come in each villain set for the first wave next year. If not a villager, a small creature that has a shooter for a torso, and 4 legs (kind of similar to that little spider thing that attached to the ball shooter in Hero Factory, but bigger). It would be especially cool if it could attach to an arm. I would also love to see melded armor for the Toas' upgrade (if they get one).

Edited by Maskmaker of Light

Vote in the 2016 Set Poll! 3 Votes Maximum. http://strawpoll.me/6685187/r

More unique and detailed armor pieces for a start. The new ones this year was good but there weren't much. I think there was three? The regular ones on the toa, onuas shoulder armor, and the ones on the skull creatures. Maybe give us some more bionicle styled torsos this time around.

Secondly, and this is the most important to me, keep experimenting functions. That, out of all things, has been the core of what bionicle has been about since the beginning. I really didn't like how they got rid of functions in the second half of gen 1. More unique stuff like skull basher would be great.

Last, some titan sets please. I think this is the first year without them in bionicle history.  Or something rahi inspired like LoSS was but with more effort put into the visuals instead of doing lazy stuff like using a chest plate for the head.

Edited by hiddenderek
  • Upvote 1

It doesn't exactly work since all the Toa are of very different designs now, but man would I love a new CCBS Exo-Toa. A new sort of Boxor would be easier though, considering the Protectors are a lot more similar in that aspect, and villagers themselves appear to be fairly identical.

Beasts would be cool. I think this wave was more subdued to get a feel for the line, but like others were saying, bulkier sets. Titans would be cool, or creatures. I keep finding myself wishing they'd make a huge CCBS dragon set, but it's only a dream for the moment.

More sets like that would be neat, one off sets with villagers and brick-built features (like a forge for Ekimu with a few masks) or something of the sort.

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

I really like the idea of more villagers/islanders. I would like to see a small, very simple villager come in each villain set for the first wave next year. If not a villager, a small creature that has a shooter for a torso, and 4 legs (kind of similar to that little spider thing that attached to the ball shooter in Hero Factory, but bigger). It would be especially cool if it could attach to an arm. I would also love to see melded armor for the Toas' upgrade (if they get one).

This topic was a little bit past the revival limit, which is 60 days in forums that have one. See here for reference. Please check the date of the last post before replying.

Revived topic closed, though anyone is welcome to start up a new one.