• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes
  • Participate in raffles to win LEGO prizes
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Celebrating 20 Years of Brickset's Database

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hapori Tohu

Hapori Tohu
  • None
  • Heart of BZPower

• 16-July 01
  • 3,605 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 08:13 PM

One of our favorite resources for information on LEGO sets is Brickset, a site that has matured into a definitive (and constantly updated) guide for modern LEGO sets, but started with humbler beginnings on a personal site in 1997. In a post recognizing 20 years since the database was first announced on RTL (that's rec.toys.lego for you young whippersnappers, it was a neat NNTP newsgroup on USENET, and fine I'll stop with my radical 90's-speak now). In addition to recounting some of Brickset's history, today's retrospective post also recounts some history of the online LEGO fan community and other set references we've used over the years.On behalf of all of us at BZPower, congratulations on 20 years, Huw, and here's to the next 20!

View the full article

#2 Offline Master Inika

Master Inika
  • Members
  • Mask of Light Unveiled

• 07-October 07
  • 5,112 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 17 2017 - 10:14 PM

It's been years since I've seen that Pakari Nuva "Reference" tag on the front page.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama
‚Äčokonicle.png
Click here to visit my library!

#3 Offline Toa Smoke Monster

Toa Smoke Monster
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Outstanding BZP Citizens
  • Snagging Prowler

• 09-April 10
  • 11,387 posts
  •   Outstanding BZPower Citizen

Posted Apr 18 2017 - 01:11 AM

To be honest, I've never used this site before. But regardless, it's really cool that it has been around for 20 years. That is a great achievement IMO.

Happy birthday to it! B-)

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

fjEpIZR.png

#4 Offline Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)
  • Members
  • Emerging Stone Champion

• 22-May 05
  • 1,472 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 18 2017 - 03:36 AM

It's been years since I've seen that Pakari Nuva "Reference" tag on the front page.

I remember one of the last opinion pieces lamenting that the Pakari Nuva would never get any use with the abolishing of the dedicated reference section- and yet, there it sits.  Brings a smile to my face.

I'd actually have something of substance to say here, but I'm too lazy to think of anything.  >_< Er, have some BZPRPG profiles, I guess?

I used to help Dominus Temporis with writing MLWTB back in the day, even if I was really terrible at it.  If anyone's in contact with him, could ya help me get in touch?   :)

#5 Offline danny316p

danny316p
  • Premier Member
    BioniLUG Member
  • Premier Reporters
  • Cranky Old Curmudgeon

• 09-April 13
  • 284 posts
  •   BZP Reporter

Posted Apr 19 2017 - 09:50 PM

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to mention on the front page, but I believe that Brickset's thoroughness in providing a reference on all LEGO sets these days (Bionicle included) is part of why BZPower hasn't built up more of a Bionicle G2 reference section. In any case, it's a useful resource to refer to...

...and we definitely need to see more tags used on the front page. The flood of red "News" tags gets repetitive. As long as I'm writing for the front page, I'll try to change it up when I can.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users