ISS Set Built Aboard the ISS

Ever wonder what it would be like to build a LEGO set in no gravity? Astronaut Satoshi Furukawa got to build the International Space Station set while aboard the real ISS. Unlike building a set in the gravity of Earth, floating pieces sure make for an interesting experience. Read more about it <a href='http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-022412a.html' target='offsite'>here</a> and check out pictures <a href='http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-022412b.html' target='offsite'>here</a>. It sure looks like a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

View the full article

The Space Station has regular air in it, I believe. Also, there is gravity. Lots of it. There ain't not no zero-gravity that close to the Earth./minirantAnyway, interesting read. I love how they keep saying it's going to burn up, but never say why.

atvan

Anyway, interesting read. I love how they keep saying it's going to burn up, but never say why.

Indeed, I would be very interested in hearing exactly why plastic is combustible. But I can understand the worry that a small piece might float away and get caught in something... even here with full gravity, little pieces still find their ways into those hard to reach places...Otherwise, a very interesting article to read. That should be some new AFOL competition; building in low gravity situations. :D:music:

Anyway, interesting read. I love how they keep saying it's going to burn up, but never say why.

Indeed, I would be very interested in hearing exactly why plastic is combustible. But I can understand the worry that a small piece might float away and get caught in something... even here with full gravity, little pieces still find their ways into those hard to reach places...Otherwise, a very interesting article to read. That should be some new AFOL competition; building in low gravity situations. :biggrin: :music:
It's not combustible. But LEGO involves working with a lot of loose parts, and in space there's no gravity to keep them from drifting around. So NASA had to design an entire system with which to build models while keeping the parts contained. Otherwise a part might float into an essential system like a cooling fan, causing the aforementioned fire hazard.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

ISSception.(It had to be done.)Seriously, though, this looks really cool. Building a model inside that specialized apparatus doesn't exactly seem comfortable - and I can see how floating pieces can get on one's nerves after a while - but how many can say that they built a LEGO set in outer space? There's just an element of awesomeness that comes with doing something like that.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

That must be a truly remarkable experience, and even more for AFOLs. :P I am sure you will be able to find LEGO pieces randomly floating around in space someday. :P Great job, Mr. Furukawa! :)~Gata. ;)

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

First thing I thought when I saw this: Yum. XPBut, anyhow, this is amazing. I can't help but wonder why no-one's thought of this before, though. LEGO in space. Not only that, a LEGO ISS built inside the real ISS. In low-gravity.Epic. :D

lineupnewestest.png
[BZPRPG PROFILES]

Nikarra - Kaelynn - Ronan - Muir - Donal Aerus - Montague - Kira - KouraLearu - Alteora - Fuacht - Caana Nessen - Merrill

Since I actively follow anything that has to do with space, I knew about this a few days ago. It's interesting to think that ABS can combust in the special atmosphere aboard the International Space Station.

Again, they don't combust in that atmosphere. The flammability hazard is that if they got loose and jammed in a cooling system, whatever that system needed to cool could burn up. The plastic itself is no more flammable up there than it is on Earth.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Since I actively follow anything that has to do with space, I knew about this a few days ago. It's interesting to think that ABS can combust in the special atmosphere aboard the International Space Station.

Again, they don't combust in that atmosphere. The flammability hazard is that if they got loose and jammed in a cooling system, whatever that system needed to cool could burn up. The plastic itself is no more flammable up there than it is on Earth.
Who cares? If we wanna believe LEGO bricks are so awesome they can spontaneously combust, we're gonna believe LEGO bricks are so awesome they can spontaneously combust. ('cause they are)Also, the logical progression to the meme- yo, dawg, we heard you like building space stations, so we put a station in your station so you can build while you build. :P Edited by Endless Sea ~turmoil~

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )