Naming

Taipu1

Back when I did write, I usually just pondered on a good name for a character until it came to me. If it didn't, I would look around for any words near me, and try to mix them up into interesting names.I got Skarloth out of Shell, crab... and moth, I think. XD-Skar

Generally I know how I want a name to sound or what I want it to resemble beforehand. Sometimes I use root words from Greek or some other language (even Matoran). Most of the time, though, I just start with a basic definition of the "feel" of the name and add syllables. I do try not to use too many X's, Z's, etc., because let's face it--those are overused and IMO don't make for very good names on most occasions.I have, on several occasions, kept a list of names that I sat down and came up with at one point. Then I just use one of them whenever I need a name for something. I've also re-used the names from those lists a lot.

I used to come up with rather random names, but now I take characteristics of my MOCs (usually either physical or related to their element) and translate them into Maori.

Comics coming eventually: The Bionicles Try to Run A House

Upcoming MOCs: Sir Lesovikk, New Tokotoru.

Current MOCs: ROTF Ravage.

Dead MOCs: The Tokotoru, this fire monster, this turtle.

This topic. Love it and cherish it. Do it for the lulz.

I have a variety of methods. Quoting myself to display a few:

Old BZPRPG:Mangai-Hau - My username at the time. As you can guess, I was a bit more of a nueb than I thought I was. It roughly means 'Protector-Shield'-apt because of his role.Exlaas - 'Ex' for 'outer'. The 'laas' was my attempt to make him sound less like Excalibur.Gadeli - 'Ga' and 'De' are the matoran prefixes for 'Water' and 'Sonics', respectively. 'Li' was added because I liked the flowing and soft sound.Viveloc - Strangely enough, this name came from Latin 'vita' for 'life' and 'velociraptor'. Don't ask me why I chose to build a portmanteau of those for such a char.Nalsk - This name came from 'Na', the elemental symbol for sodium-more commonly known as one half of table salt's compound. 'Lsk' sounded harsh to me at the time and Siberian, so I added it.Odin, Thor, Magni, Babha, and Macha - All these names are from mythology. Odin is the ruling god in Norse mythology, the one-eyed god of storms and war. The character in-RPG had weather control and only one eye as well. Odin has four servants who answer only to him: Two wolves and two ravens. Thor is one of his sons and Magni is one of Thor's sons, both who serve Odin. In-RPG, they were his wolves. The ravens were named Babha and Macha after the two split personalities of the Morrigan-a Celtic crow goddess who rules over war.Phogu - Derived from 'phagus', Greek for 'eater'. Again, please do not ask me why I named him for that.Mars - Named for the Greek god of war. And rightly so-Mars has slain ten makuta and is very, VERY good at fighting.Early Days:Vrainut - I remember the 'v' was placed there because it sounded quick to me. I'm not sure from what the rest of his name is derived.War Zone:Mangai - My old usernames included 'Mangai' for a time. Riglax and Nova - Named for two of my online buds who didn't RP at the time.CPU - Good ol' 'Computer Processing Unit' seemed excellent for a tech-head.Elda - ...Still not sure how he got this.New BZPRPG:Viper - A viper is a particular kind of snake that strikes at high speed and is an excellent hunter due to its ability to sense heat. Guess what Viper is good at.Vezoro - Portmanteau of 'Vezok' and 'koro'. Makes sense given his personality...I think.TIoP: Grotir - Strangely enough, this name came from 'Groetterdammerueng'-German for 'twilight of the gods'. She is essentially a herald of the apocalypse.Stokunde - Derived from the Deutsch words for 'stoic' and 'gravity'. It's a perfect match for its personality and powers.Bonnae Gud - Comes from Scots for 'Beautiful Good'. Doesn't make much sense in meaning, but reinforces his birth.Isjir Jukar - Initials are a tribute to Indiana Jones. I don't remember where the rest of this name came from.BZIII:Aexias - Doesn't have any meaning and is wholly original. I chose it for its easy, rolling sound and gentleness.Hau - Is matoran for 'shield'; ironically, he is nothing of the sort, and especially not in combat (his fighting style only parries and deflects while it's blitzing). But I thought the name would be pretty common due to its meaning.Keinju Sarusuma - 'Keinju' is a mishmash of German and Japanese sounds. 'Sarusuma' is derived from Japanese 'Sarutobi', the last name of a legendary ninja. 'Suma' is also Japanese, but I only found out after creating Keinju that said letter combination is actually the name of a town in Japan. Apparently it's famous for its beaches...Who would've guessed ace second-in-command to an army would've been so mundane in name?Knife and Edge - These names are self-explanatory.

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

I turn words upside down, see what they look like, pronouce it and if I like it, I move it to the next stage of naming. I then alter the words order a little, add a few or take a few out, pronouce it and if I like it, it's goes to my list of names to use.

WIP

Some of my characters' names are just random combinations, others are based on real words. A few are direct translations (according to Google) from other languages. I've noticed that generally (but not always) characters that have a major role in my story have names with meaningless backgrounds, while others have names coming from real words. For example I don't think I had anything in mind when I named Morok, other than that it had the same ending as Siok. But when I named two minor (at the time) characters from the same village, which was in the jungle, I named them Dykatte and Lidon, which is a pun on dicotyledon.That's probably because I need a little help coming up with names for minor characters on the spot. When this isn't the case, it's probably because the minor characters have become more important, or I needed a quick name for a major character, or I thought it sounded cool and/or obscure enough even though it actually means something. For example I named a Toa of Ice Zima, which means Winter in Slavic languages, and he's at least moderately important in the story. I neglected to name him for a while, came up with something quick, and thought it suited him well enough.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Mix sounds that I like, then try to thinking of a spelling that fits them. I don't put that much thought into it.~|ET|~

Pretty much exactly this. If I need it to sound more intimidating, I'll try to cram a X or Z in there. =P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm.