Worst Mask Power

Well, it's reasonable to assume the Great version would be strong enough to be effective against typical beings, yes. Probably not for killing but more for weakening due to old age like what happened to TSO.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I think the worst mask is the Kaukau because out of all the battles in the Matoran Universe, Mata Nui, and Voya Nui there has never been any aquatic battles. Also in Mahri Nui/the Pit everybody was simply mutated/given the ability to breathe underwater.On a different note, the worst mask group is the Kanohi Nuva. Sure, the masks can share their powers, but you must depend on one of six (now five) Toa Nuva, and that is not going to help much if you aren't a Toa Nuva.-Tomdroidser

Featuring: Arkham Firefly/The LEGO Movie Quiz

Now Entering: The Rise of DarkSaber
Two personal thanks to Black Six for Proto Boost.
(Expired) Topics: HF MOC BBC #69 Entry: Jaller Inika Rebuilt 

There is no such thing as perfection, except in being yourself.kanohi_avkama.gif

I think the worst mask is the Kaukau because out of all the battles in the Matoran Universe, Mata Nui, and Voya Nui there has never been any aquatic battles. Also in Mahri Nui/the Pit everybody was simply mutated/given the ability to breathe underwater.
Depending on how you define "battle", there was one in one of the original comics, and one in MNOG with Gali vs. Tarakava in which she probably used her mask. This is also the "battle fallacy" that masks only have uses in battles; she had to find masks underwater and used it then too. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well, one mask that was useless in a situation was the mask of levitation. In the Phantoka, Lewa couldn't use his mask power at all, since all six of them were given adaptave armor, and the ability to fly.
It was less needed, and did not turn out to be needed, but it wasn't "without use" which is what useless means. If the other hovering ability had been destroyed it would be a wise backup to have.If you're in an airplane, you cross the distance from one airstrip to another safely, and upon landing you notice there was a parachute in the plane all along, do you go, "*scoff* -- that parachute is useless!"? Of course not. You would go, "Glad that backup was there!"
I think Jaller Mahri's mask of Sonar, yes it is useful underwater but out of water? Yeah you're out of luck there.
Bats use echolocation. Seeing through fog or thick rain would be one use, or in pitch black lighting.

According to BS01, the Great version does grant night vision to the user as well as glowing. I'd imagine that the night vision effect isn't active while it's glowing, however -- that would be hard on the eyes. But night vision without glowing would be best for when the user is alone and/or needs to be stealthy.It also says that the glow can be used offensively to blind one's enemies. That's a nice extra use for it, one I don't remember ever seeing in the story.

Edited by The Iron Toa

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

According to BS01, the Great version does grant night vision to the user as well as glowing. I'd imagine that the night vision effect isn't active while it's glowing, however -- that would be hard on the eyes. But night vision without glowing would be best for when the user is alone and/or needs to be stealthy.It also says that the glow can be used offensively to blind one's enemies. That's a nice extra use for it, one I don't remember ever seeing in the story.
I think Whenua actually accidentally used in on Matau once. When Matau was playing Vahki...

Sorry bones, but I don't particularly like the Mask of Conjuring. It's just a little too tedious for my preferences as a tool; IMO its temperament and abilities would fit better in the hands of a genie or other trickster being, rather than a mask. However, the idea of what might happen if the mask-user worded their commands wrong is intriguing... but again, something I'd rather see done with a genie than a mask.

Worst mask power? Probably the Mask of Time Duplication (the one Bitil had). All of the past versions of myself are substantially more evil than my current form, and would probably turn on me every time I tried to use them. Not a comforting thought.
Supposing you just conjured selves from the past few seconds? Surely you're not growing more righteous by the moment, and even if you were, the morality difference would hardly be enough to cause problems.The major problem with the Mohtrek, or Mask of Time Duplication, is the sheer risk you take to your personal timeline. Supposing your past self somehow dies while serving you. What happens to you then? The thought probably haunted Bitil every time he used it. Injuries and afflictions gained in the future, though not memories, return with the past self. We know he took care to only summon swamp-Bitils for fear of mutating himself prior to entering the swamp.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Sorry bones, but I don't particularly like the Mask of Conjuring. It's just a little too tedious for my preferences as a tool; IMO its temperament and abilities would fit better in the hands of a genie or other trickster being, rather than a mask. However, the idea of what might happen if the mask-user worded their commands wrong is intriguing... but again, something I'd rather see done with a genie than a mask.
Worst mask power? Probably the Mask of Time Duplication (the one Bitil had). All of the past versions of myself are substantially more evil than my current form, and would probably turn on me every time I tried to use them. Not a comforting thought.
Supposing you just conjured selves from the past few seconds? Surely you're not growing more righteous by the moment, and even if you were, the morality difference would hardly be enough to cause problems.The major problem with the Mohtrek, or Mask of Time Duplication, is the sheer risk you take to your personal timeline. Supposing your past self somehow dies while serving you. What happens to you then? The thought probably haunted Bitil every time he used it. Injuries and afflictions gained in the future, though not memories, return with the past self. We know he took care to only summon swamp-Bitils for fear of mutating himself prior to entering the swamp.
Yes, that is probably a good way to mess up your life, because past versions of yourself will know about things that happened in the future, which could substantially change your present time, plus you know things in the future from you summoning yourself into the future later...while these effects would be minimized over a few seconds, and then there is the possibility of your past selves getting killed...it's just not a useful mask IMO, causing more harm than good to the user.

Sorry bones, but I don't particularly like the Mask of Conjuring. It's just a little too tedious for my preferences as a tool
Well, this is not an unreasonable feeling towards it; obviously any being who felt the same as you would not choose it. Only someone who liked its power (unless it was all that was available) would choose to use it.
Supposing you just conjured selves from the past few seconds? Surely you're not growing more righteous by the moment, and even if you were, the morality difference would hardly be enough to cause problems.The major problem with the Mohtrek, or Mask of Time Duplication, is the sheer risk you take to your personal timeline.
IMO the real major problem with this was simply using time travel, after all that promising of no time travel lol. Not that I personally mind; I love time travel, but I do see the strong draw towards a story that avoids it like the plague, as it can be much harder to relate to real life than most other powers. The same basic effect could have been done with illusions of the self that mimic your personality.Given that Greg did choose to use Time Duplication, though, I would agree that's a major problem with it. Exactly what would happen is still confusing even to me as a temporal mechanics geek. Normal time travel is actually easier to understand lol.If the copy doesn't die, though, there's not much problem, and it didn't happen, so the issue was avoided. :) Edited by bonesiii

All masks have there own uses, but I can see how some masks are worse than others. In my opinion, the worst mask power is the Mask of Victory.
The mask of victory is not a real kanohi, and has no powers. It's just a copper trophy shaped like a kanohi. Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

All masks have there own uses, but I can see how some masks are worse than others. In my opinion, the worst mask power is the Mask of Victory.
the mask of victory is not a real kanohi, and has no powers. It's just a copper trophy shaped like a kanohi.
Seriously? Oh, I always thought it was a Kanohi. Well than, the worst maks would probably be the Elda. It would be useful, but in the story, it seems like all it did was give Hahli headaches.

I personally think that the worst mask is the Zatth, because it is only really useful for a diversion, and even that;s dubious considering you are just as capable of summoning a single shrimp as you are summoning a hundred-thousand-year-old tentacled venom-spitting fire-breathing winged abomination that shoots rockets from its eyes.It's not that the power CAN'T be useful, it's just that it is far too unpredictable to harness in a productive way. The Mask of Rahi Control is far better, as it gives you both a choice and control over the Rahi.

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

I don't know... I thought the Mask of Scavenging let the user easily drain energy from a lot of corpses, while with the Avsa you need to focus on one living target. Growing each stronger with each enemy you kill sounds like a pretty useful power to me.
Right; it would be used if you (being a villain) were killing someone anyways, thus the Avsa wouldn't help.In general all masks have their uses. These topics always seem to rely on a fallacy that you can put any single mask at "worst", whereas in reality every mask is better or worse for different circumstances.I do think the Elda should have been for finding any object you needed. The headache thing... eh... I can see it being a downside, but yeah... Of course, even this logic doesn't really fly objectively because the Elda is for finding one of the most important objects in existence. :)
Exactly right. The Elda found the mask of life, without which the matoran universe would have died.
The Ruru or Elda, I'd have to say. The Rau at times is useless, being more of a circumstance thing (if you're somewhere where the Rahi can't be reasoned with and all the ancient runes are just inane scribbles, for instance).
Definitely the Elda, the Aki, the Rua, and the Mask of Charisma.
You know the Aki and the Rua both have three mask powers, and the Mask of Charisma can influence basically any decision someone makes. I'd say those are pretty useful.
Yes, they are two of the best great kanohi in the universe.
I'd imagine the the Elda was not a very common mask, and Hahli was destined to end up with it so they could find the Mask of Life. But the headaches thing would be quite annoying.Anyway, I imagined that the Kaukau wouldn't be as good for toa other than ones of the water type.
It would be doubly important for po-matoran who have no water ability at all.
I think Jaller Mahri's mask of Sonar, yes it is useful underwater but out of water? Yeah you're out of luck there.
Radar and Sonar work anywhere but through solids.
Yes, that is probably a good way to mess up your life, because past versions of yourself will know about things that happened in the future, which could substantially change your present time, plus you know things in the future from you summoning yourself into the future later...while these effects would be minimized over a few seconds, and then there is the possibility of your past selves getting killed...it's just not a useful mask IMO, causing more harm than good to the user.
The copies' memories of the future would be wiped, although it is true that their body would be as it became in the future. So you could write a message on its hand and send a note to youre past self. e.g: Remember, don't miss that date at 4.00. for example

"Eiffsher lhaa eaims akntoatei, esektehhokhn foout, lssd tutrc kete!""Nyuu ntsao teIn dradc!""Aat aowamhtni coeoaeherfo - skmuwm ksoirnnip rostnhartih!""Tawh?"("Team, take out the Rahkshi of Stasis Field, then focus on the Keelerak!""I can't understand you!""That warrior has a Mask of Incomprehension - Take him out now!""What?")So you see how it can be useful.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Forgot about bats using echo location 6_9. But I think RADAR would be effective in the air than SONAR in the air (radar uses radio waves which travel faster than sound waves). Which is why I consider the mask of sonar a pretty useless mask out of water. Yes you can say it could work like echo location but you would have to sacrifice stealth because unless you have a certain pitch something will always hear you. Not saying radar won't give you away but radio waves are on the part of the light spectrum that's invisible plus I don't think anyone can see radio waves.Another mask I'd like to add was the mask of water breathing (I think that's what it's called but I could be wrong), yes it is great for a Toa of water but put it on any other Toa element and it becomes merely a decoration. Not to mention it's useless for any attack or defense that doesn't involve water.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Forgot about bats using echo location 6_9. But I think RADAR would be effective in the air than SONAR in the air (radar uses radio waves which travel faster than sound waves
In clear air, and at far range, yes, but up close the difference in speed is negligible, and through fog sonar would be better, as radar bounces off clouds.
Yes you can say it could work like echo location but you would have to sacrifice stealth because unless you have a certain pitch something will always hear you.
Hmm, I'm not sure if we know that. Has anyone ever asked if it's audible to most beings? Sure, perhaps the rare Rahi might hear it and that might be a problem even more rarely but overall I doubt it would be heard. Besides, let's say you're fighting an enemy in fog who can hear it. They still can't tell for sure where you are and can't "see" their surroundings since they don't have the mask to translate the sounds into a mental image.Unless you're fighting bat-people. :P
Another mask I'd like to add was the mask of water breathing (I think that's what it's called but I could be wrong), yes it is great for a Toa of water but put it on any other Toa element and it becomes merely a decoration. Not to mention it's useless for any attack or defense that doesn't involve water.
Actually Toa of other elements, when in the water, would typically need the Kaukau more than a Toa of Water. Ga-Toa control the water around them so when they need to come up for air it's far easier. They can just make a current and ride it up and down. Other Toa must either swim or use their element to push against the water. So it would be more urgent for them to have that mask.But yes, they will typically not be underwater as often. Still, it could come up.Also, the Nuva form can suffocate targets on land (being Toa, only to unconsciousness, not death, but it's an option).

Curse you bonesii and infinite knowledge of the Bionicle universe! :upset:

Forgot about bats using echo location 6_9. But I think RADAR would be effective in the air than SONAR in the air (radar uses radio waves which travel faster than sound waves
In clear air, and at far range, yes, but up close the difference in speed is negligible, and through fog sonar would be better, as radar bounces off clouds.
Didn't know that, should have but didn't.
Yes you can say it could work like echo location but you would have to sacrifice stealth because unless you have a certain pitch something will always hear you.
Hmm, I'm not sure if we know that. Has anyone ever asked if it's audible to most beings? Sure, perhaps the rare Rahi might hear it and that might be a problem even more rarely but overall I doubt it would be heard. Besides, let's say you're fighting an enemy in fog who can hear it. They still can't tell for sure where you are and can't "see" their surroundings since they don't have the mask to translate the sounds into a mental image.Unless you're fighting bat-people. :P
This argument was formed when I remembering a documentary about animals, the tv show said that the navy wanted to change the pitch. They didn't however go through with it because they were afraid it mess with the whales. I believe the same principle could be applied to some rahi. Of course you're probably use that statement against me. Also there probably bat people rahi ( heh heh)
Another mask I'd like to add was the mask of water breathing (I think that's what it's called but I could be wrong), yes it is great for a Toa of water but put it on any other Toa element and it becomes merely a decoration. Not to mention it's useless for any attack or defense that doesn't involve water.
Actually Toa of other elements, when in the water, would typically need the Kaukau more than a Toa of Water. Ga-Toa control the water around them so when they need to come up for air it's far easier. They can just make a current and ride it up and down. Other Toa must either swim or use their element to push against the water. So it would be more urgent for them to have that mask.But yes, they will typically not be underwater as often. Still, it could come up.Also, the Nuva form can suffocate targets on land (being Toa, only to unconsciousness, not death, but it's an option).
The reason why I said this was because I feel that a non Toa of Water would hardly be in a such situation. Plus said situations would be very rare but not impossible but to the point where a Toa of Fire would most likely be laughed at for wearing it. With the Nuva I think Gali is the only wearer of the mask because I think the Nuva masks are (or were) exclusive to only the Nuva.

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Yeah, any Toa might need to make a boat of wood, have a Kaukau handy if needed, and travel between the islands/continents.

You are all forgetig osmething. the kanohi elda is ont the mask of detecting the mask of life, but the mask of detection. Also, according to bs01,

"It allows its user to see nearby hidden beings, such as a Kanohi Huna user; it also detects the Kanohi Ignika's presence, indicating how near it is through increasingly strong headaches, the Elda always being on at a low level. The only difference between the Great and Noble versions is that the Noble only lets its user see hidden beings."

I'd hate to have the Elda, myself, but it isn't useless. Any being trying to seek out the mask of light would theoretically have to seek out an Elda first.
The Piraka found the Mask of Life without an Elda. Vezon didn't need one to find it.
They were subtly guided by Makuta, which might have compensated.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I'd hate to have the Elda, myself, but it isn't useless. Any being trying to seek out the mask of light would theoretically have to seek out an Elda first.
The Piraka found the Mask of Life without an Elda. Vezon didn't need one to find it.
They were subtly guided by Makuta, which might have compensated.
Makuta didn't know where the Mask was. Greg confirmed that; that's why Makuta hired the Piraka in the first place. And I doubt Makuta would have cared about Vezon.

worst mask power.... -thinks hard and long.......- probably the mask of psychometry, imagine walking ANYWHERE and being forced to see the ground's history. While great for geologists, sure, I don't see how it can have an effect to save/hurt anyone.

worst mask power.... -thinks hard and long.......- probably the mask of psychometry, imagine walking ANYWHERE and being forced to see the ground's history. While great for geologists, sure, I don't see how it can have an effect to save/hurt anyone.
I have never heard that it's an always-on power. Are you sure?But its usefulness is pretty obvious, it's like CSI times a thousand.

The Elda's primary function was to find the Ignika, wasn't it? I think that grants it a certain degree of lenience in regard to usefulness. Still, it could detect hidden beings, so it had some use that could come up from time to time.I think that the Mask of Undeath is the worst canon mask by far. It has no use if you are alive and only gets used at one time, which is when you die. If you were to become yourself again afterwards, that would be fine, but the mask has to turn you into a zombie instead. It only gives you one purpose, which is what your purpose was before dying, and your senses and processing speed are reduced, creating a severe and possibly fatal downside to being reanimated in the first place if you were to find yourself in any conflict.Of the named masks, I'd say the Zatth purely because of the uncertainty factor.

I have never heard that it's an always-on power. Are you sure?But its usefulness is pretty obvious, it's like CSI times a thousand.
I don't think it's a passive power, I'm just saying it'd be kind of annoying to have sometimes.

Well, all masks are less useful in certain circumstances. If a Toa valued psychometry for some purposes but others times preferred, or needed (depending) a different mask, there's the option of Suva. :)

Elda, hands down. You sense the proximity of ONE mask with the intensity of skull-splitting HEADACHES.Not to mention the mustache.
Yes the mustache would also serve a problem,I mean think about the groomingThis might sound a bit wierd but, Kaukau the mask of water breathing. Surely its not that hard to stock up on air bladders.

Well, air bladders run out. Then again, maybe the Kaukau's power has a time limit too (although I think it was a depth limit only)...

I can't really think of a canon mask that is useless per say. (Plenty of my own fan masks on the other hand :P...)Really, each mask has it's use, and while there are situations where water breathing or night vision wouldn't be helpful, I'd certainly prefer either of those if I was stuck in a cave to, say, strength.-TLhikan

"So I'm TL now?"

"Yeah, 'cuz if we said it the other way it'd have to be TLhiKHAAN!!"

I think the Zatth because you don't have any control on what you will summon. At least the Zelda has a definite power and it is useful for finding objects.
Elda. Zelda is a character in the video games of that name. :P

I don't think it's a passive power, I'm just saying it'd be kind of annoying to have sometimes.
You have to concentrate to use it the Mask of Psychometry. I actually think it would be great for tracking someone.Here's an argument against the Elda. How many times has it been needed? Twice, how many times did it get used properly? Once. Sure, it's great if you need to see someone invisible, or go seek out the Ignika, but for your default mask it is a terrible choice. Most Toa aren't going to go after the Ignika, and how many times in your life are you going to need to see an invisible being? A Rode would be much more useful as a default mask, as it has the same detection power plus a power you can actually use on a fair basis, determining if you are being lied to, cheated, etc.

~~-BS01 Histories-~~
by Zox Tomana, B.A. - Blog