Epic Critics Club VII

Steelsheen

Welcome to the Epic Critics Club!

This topic is the special place for epic authors here on BZPower to have their work read, reviewed, and critiqued.

WE ARE CURRENTLY ACCEPTING EPICS

Note: Because of things like holidays or staff absences, we will not always be accepting requests. Check this post to see if we are accepting new requests.NOTICE: Cederak is back! We are currently transitioning the necessary positions internally, but your beloved (somewhat snarky) Head Critic has resumed his seat in the library halls.

Guidelines and Regulations for Writers

1.) Only one of your epics will be reviewed at a time. We will make every attempt to read through your work as quickly and thoroughly as possible, but for the sake of fairness, other authors will be on our agenda as well.2.) An epic will be reviewed one time by the ECC. However, because many of the reviews we do are for in-progress epics, if you believe a substantial amount of work has gone into your epic since its first ECC review, PM me to ask for a second. In your appeal, simply describe why you think you have done enough to garner another review and you will be notified of our decision.(Note that ECC critics are exempt from this rule.)3.) Requests for a review will be in a standard format. What you say within that form is your choice, but it must contain the format* if you expect a review.4.) Questions, comments, and general concerns should be sent directly to my PM box where I can handle them personally. Any complaints about a critic's review of your work go to Eponine. Please do not, however, PM me with a review request - I'll just direct you to this topic.5.) You cannot request a particular critic to review your work. That is a matter best left to PMing them directly. And even then, it's their call to say whether they have the time or not.6.) Be polite. We are kind enough to offer to help you grow as a writer - it seems only reasonable that we receive a degree of respect for our efforts. I am holding everyone to a high level of maturity on this matter.7.) Each request will receive a Tier Designation. Tier 1 requests are from writers, Tier 2 requests are appeals, and Tier 3 requests are from critics. A request's Tier Designation number also determines the number of weeks a critic has to complete the assignment.8. We will accept requests to review COT epics, but they are not included in the charity review cycles.*The following is the Review Request Format I mentioned earlier. Your post will contain the three listed requirements. If it does not, I will disregard your request.1.) Story name and link2.) Review topic link3.) Number of chaptersThis concludes the author-based portion of my post. The Epic Critics Club is looking forward to reading your work and assisting you in becoming a stronger writer. Reading on will allow you to learn more about our critic staff and the requisites for becoming a critic yourself.Q.) You want to become a critic? (NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS)A.) That's fantastic! A selfless volunteering service is always excellent news. Regrettably, we cannot accept every hopeful out there. To ensure quality reviewing among our staff, I simply ask that you fill out the application below and PM it to me under the subject: Critic Resume.

Application Form

Username/Nickname: Most of you will prefer your username, I'm sure, but reviewing under a nom de plume is absolutely fine.Why do you want to be a critic? - It doesn't have to be a long reason, but I do need to know.Describe yourself - Outline your personality for me, and tell me a little bit about what you've done around the BZP Library.After you send me this basic application, I will respond with an excerpt of work from one of the ECC members that you will critique. Your critique will be a major deciding factor in whether or not you are accepted.

Staff Bios

Cederak: ECC Director, MentorAbout Me: I'm a fairly sarcastic person at times, something I distance myself from when I need to be serious. I am particular according to some, but I think I just know what I like. And what I like are nice things. ...And there begins the sarcasm.On Critiquing: I'm looking for flow. Spelling errors are quick fixes, but grammar can outright ruin the flow to a story and break immersion for the reader. I try to be helpful though, and I'm constantly looking for alternative ways for a writer to express what they want to say.Velox: ECC Co-Director, Human Resource Management, Intern TrainerAbout Me: I am currently the Curator of the Short Stories Critics Club and a Forum Assistant here on the forums, Previously I have held the positions of Curator of the Comedies Critics Club and Co-Curator of the Epics Critics Club. Unfortunately, my time is very limited nowadays, and as such I am not able to be a critic here at this time -- I will, however, be helping out on the administrative side of things, so feel free to PM me with any questions. I enjoy reading, writing, and a bunch of other things -- take a look at my blog, profile, or staff bio on the main page if you want to know more about me.On Critiquing: Probably the main thing I look for is proper grammar/spelling, along with awkward-sounding sentences and the like. I'm a big fan of characterization, great plots, and a good flow of writing, and so I try to comment on those as well. Basically when I review something I'm just trying to find every single thing I dislike -- even if only slightly -- in order to help writers become the best they can be. Because let's face it: we can all always get better.Steelsheen: ECC Lieutenant, Public Relations CoordinatorAbout Me: I read classic books from two centuries ago and spout off obscure facts that no one really cares about. I peruse my old science text books for fun and don't spend enough time outdoors. I suppose you could categorize me as a card-carrying geek, but that's okay. Geeks are cool.On Critiquing: I'm looking for the spirit of your work, the ideas you're attempting to flesh out on paper. If you have a story worth telling, there's going to be a way to make it a good one. Characters, personality, and plots are what's important to me. While grammar is definitely important, it's also something that can always be fixed later. But trust me, spell check is not evil. Eponine: ECC Internal AffairsAbout Me: Well, let's see... I have a soft spot for ducklings and cheesecake brownies. But that's not exactly relevant. Okay, so I've been writing in the Bionicle fandom since sixth grade, and let me just say, I am not proud of my first attempts of an epic. That being said, you will have to write something truly atrocious to faze me. Back in the day, before I joined BZP, I was more of the "Yay, nice story, update soon, keep up the good work *smiley face* " type. But really, what help is that? I've had enough of those types of reviews in my past to make me barf. So don't worry about shallow reviews (though you might still see a smiley face or two )On Critiquing: Okay, you got me. I confess, if I see a story that takes up a gazillion pages (and a gazillion hours to read), yes I'm intimidated. The only way I'll keep reading is if the story is gripping from the start and has enough flow to keep me reading through and wanting more. But reviewing as part of the ECC, ditching the story if I lose interest isn't a choice. So what I look for is flow, character development, intrigue, and plot advancement, outside of the usual spelling/grammar etc. What really makes a good story is an author who knows just how to guide their readers through their imagination and make them see things their way. Give me an all around good story, you'll get a good review, but give me a story that needs work, you'll get an even better review.TNTOS: ECC Charity Review CoordinatorAbout Me: I've been writing BIONICLE fanfiction on BZP almost since the day I first joined, so I think I have a bit of experience when it comes to writing. Because I wish to be a novelist someday, I am always looking for ways to become a better writer myself.On Critiquing: I will basically point out anything I think is a flaw, but I primarily focus on character and plot. Another major thing I look at is point of view (POV) and consistency with the POV of your story. Dialogue is another aspect I focus on, too.GSR: ECC Review LibrarianAbout Me: Occasionally I sit down, lay my head on the keyboard, and then sort of roll it back and forth for a while before running spellcheck. I've been informed that this is apparently called "writing". In any event, it's quite fun. I have joined the ECC to help others master the art of smashing letters onto a page and then passing it off as meaningful. On Critiquing: Solid prose and wordplay is a huge, huge plus - a good story should never make you feel like you're working to get through a paragraph. If your story is clunky or just doesn't gel for some reason, I'll probably pick up on that. That isn't to say plot and characters and the like are unimportant; you can write some very fancy, enjoyable-to-read descriptions, but without a strong plot or character or something to back them up you're not writing a story, you're writing advertising copy. As for orthography, I'm not really the kind of guy to track down every single spelling or grammar slip-up - instead, I'll try to ID patterns in any mistakes I see and let you know about those. Furthermore, I do try to provide examples and reasoning for my critiques so you can have a good starting point for addressing them in the future. And if I seem harsh, just remember - I critique because I care.Nick Silverpen: ECC CriticAbout Me: Once in a blue moon poster, I'm always browsing, seeing what's going on in these forums. A member of these forums for almost 9 years, I've not been the most active, but I've always been into writing, but I tend to plan my writing more than I actually write. A writer betters himself by reading, and I feel like I should get to know the other authors of the forums.On Critiquing: I like to look for flow. I'm looking for a good story, one i can roll around in my head. A page turner. While I say I like to see stories on a consistent posting schedule, I don't do what I preach- whenever a writer can get something written in the time that they have is good. Keeps the reader waiting anxiously. Style is a biggie that I look at; whether you're long and descriptive, or short and quick, or even somewhere in the between, I like to see the perspectives people have on storytelling. Grammar is good, but not overly important. Vocab is helpful, but over fluffing it is unnecessary.The Affably Evil Automaton: ECC CriticAbout Me: Cynical, snarky Brit by day. Cynical, snarky Brit by night. Basically I guess I'm an all-around sarcastic bloke. You'll generally find me roaming around the BZP blogs and CoT, along with the library from time to time. Once in a blue moon you may even see me updating my own epic or posting a short story, though I wouldn't get your hopes up.On Critiquing: What I enjoy looking at is how writers use their characters to affect the tone of the narrative. When reviewing I put the most focus on the story, as thats what the writers trying to get across in the first place, though I do help as and when I can with grammar and spelling. I find it easiest to evaluate what the writer has done best and then see how it can be applied to any areas that I feel might need improving.

Critic Rules

All critics will be held to the following rules. If you feel a critic has overstepped one of these boundaries, please PM Eponine and action will be taken accordingly.1.) Your reviews will be constructive. This is open to interpretation, but if I am alerted that your criticism was entirely negative in scope with nothing to offer, Velox and I will work to correct the issue and PM you regarding it.2.) Post in this topic once you have finished reviewing an epic. Including a direct link to your review post is appreciated, though optional.3.) Any information on changes, new hires, or departures will be shared with all critics. I want to keep you in the loop as much as possible.4.) Termination is a possibility. I'd like for everyone who leaves to do so of their own accord, but termination will be on the table if a critic has a history of problematic behaviors.5.) Being a critic means being available. If you are busy, tell me. If I never hear from you, I don't know your situation and termination may become a possibility.6.) Be the model of maturity. I want this club to be fun, yes, but it is intended to help other people. I'm trusting you to act your age.7.) If you are a critic assigned to review an epic by a fellow member of the ECC, you will have 3 weeks to complete the task. A request placed by a critic to the ECC will be treated like any other - with professionalism.Once again, welcome to the Epic Critics Club! Best wishes to all writers and a big thank you to the critics!-Steelsheen (ECC Lieutenant)

Previous Clubs

Epic Critics Club 6 - Leader: Cederak (October 21, 2011 - September 29, 2012)Epic Critics Club 5 - Leader: Alena Spirit of Hyperness (March 9, 2011 - April 24, 2011)Epic Critics Club 4 - Leader: (July 31, 2010 - February 15, 2011)Epic Critics Club 3 - Leader: (May 5, 2007 - July 31, 2010)Epic Critics Club 2 - Leader: Twenty-Two (July 27, 2006 - May 5, 2007)Epic Critics Club 1 - Leader: Sws4 (May 6, 2006 - July 27, 2006)

Request Agenda

Edited by Steelsheen

Current Epic: Life is a Blank - last post Jan. 22

My Library: The Esoteric Athenaeum

Member of the Epic Critics' Club

aa0ef09c4ad9bf8017ddec306412e550_zpscff1

Current Charity Review Cycle (03/08/13 to 03/22/13):Hahli Historian - About Lhikan, Jovan, and the StarAderia - An Uneasy AllianceTNTOS - A New Promise - Reviewed 03/15/13GSR - Chronicles of Tara: Ascension - Reviewed 04/03/13The Tolerable Automaton - The Hopeless Dream-TNTOS-

Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

This post will be used to record ECC assignments and charity reviews.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

• 2 weeks later...

BZWar: Resistence has been reviewed.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Legacy of Von Ness has been reviewed.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

Reviewed Daybreak.-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog

I can tell you're really burning the candle at both ends, but I hope you're not so busy that you can't accept another request:The Last AvatarReviewChapters One to Nineteen (includes the epilogue)Thank you in advance!

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Realm of Darkness has been reviewed.-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog

I can tell you're really burning the candle at both ends, but I hope you're not so busy that you can't accept another request:The Last AvatarReviewChapters One to Nineteen (includes the epilogue)Thank you in advance!

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Assigned to our newest critic (although, really, he can't even be called new anymore, having done several charity reviews; alas, a lack of requests), Nick Silverpen. Thank you for choosing the ECC. =]newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Charity review of Xezia. I know I'm trying to return Ced's favour by finishing his, but this one caught my eye because it reminds me so much of something I would have written for fun and I had a couple things to say.I'd put in my application to become a critic but I'm lazy.

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

The Great and Noble History of the Hero Factory has been reviewed.And congrats and welcome to The Wretched Automaton!

The Lego Wars has been reviewed.-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My apologies that we did not attend to this request sooner, KtU. Your story is being assigned to our lovely director, the one and only, Hahli Historian. By my clock, she has until Wednesday, January 16th to give you the full, in-depth review you came for. Trust me when I say she won't disappoint. Also, thank you for choosing the ECC. :)

-Ced

Edited by Cederak

Tavakai: The Movie has been reviewed :) .-TNTOS- Edited by TNTOS

A Writerly Blog

Hi, I would like my epic to be reviewed as well. Though I know there will be a lot of critisim. 1) Epic Title: A Hero Rises 2) Review Topic 3) Currently 2 Chapters (if you count the prologue)
Assigned to our resident flatterer, Cederak. ;) The review is due by January 25th, but will probably be turned in long before that. Thanks for coming to the ECC, Forgotten!-HH

Current Epic: Life is a Blank - last post Jan. 22

My Library: The Esoteric Athenaeum

Member of the Epic Critics' Club

aa0ef09c4ad9bf8017ddec306412e550_zpscff1