VampireBohrok

garmadonthumb.jpg

[Click the thumbnail]

So here's my last-minute entry for the Ninjas in Space contest. I'm not too used to drawing environment things, so working on this was a bit awkward.

But anyway, here's Garmadon rushing through some strange barren landscape in pursuit of something or someone. I was aiming for an atmosphere that's both

calm and suspenseful, I hope I succeeded to some extent at least.

Criticism is appreciated. :>

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 8

26203.jpg

Don't know too much about Ninjago, but I know enough to know that this guy is a villain. But for some reason I think he's doing some serious soul-searching in this picture because he looks really sad and maybe he just needs a hug. =(

This is really good though, I really like the style. Seriously diggin' those brush-stroke mountains.

• Upvote 1

[Cyrix]

WOW

THIS IS AWESOME

Your use of colour and lighting is great, but your sense of composition is even better. Everything is aligned to allow the viewer's eye to naturally follow a path through the entire piece. The detail is great, and everything comes together to give a definite sense of a peaceful, but, as you said, a bit of a suspenseful atmosphere.

Love it! Best of luck! :)

• Upvote 1

I really liked this drawing when I saw in the Ninja in Space poll. I love how you made Garmadon humanoid. He looks great even if his back turned to the viewer. 

The only other thing I'll say is that you succeeded in getting the atmosphere that you wanted. :) Good luck in the contest! 

• Upvote 1

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

• 2 weeks later...

okay so for those who missed it, A Shadow Searches got first place in the contest! thank you so much, those of you who voted for it. :>

How did he get all of the golden weapons?

he has them in the Epic Dragon Battle set

Nice use of dark.

I really like how ominous this looks overall. What do the characters on the stone slab say, if I may ask?

hey thanks, they're supposed to say "betrayal" since Garmadon wasn't always evil?? idk, I probably could've done something better with that.

Don't know too much about Ninjago, but I know enough to know that this guy is a villain. But for some reason I think he's doing some serious soul-searching in this picture because he looks really sad and maybe he just needs a hug. =(

This is really good though, I really like the style. Seriously diggin' those brush-stroke mountains.

oh yeah, I actually did want the environment to reflect Garmadon's mind in a sense, an ominous place with some vague flicker of hope (represented by the blossoms). so the theme of his morality is definitely in the background of the picture. and I was actually worried people wouldn't like the mountains, I'm honestly not quite sure what I think of them myself, but I'm glad you like them!

I love the way everything is aligned. I can imagine a vector from the top-left corner traversing the moon and continuing straight down the path at the bottom.

Excellent composition, in other words.

thank you! I'm glad to hear the composition works, I do tend to struggle with that part. this configuration just took one attempt, so perhaps I'm improving in that aspect?

WOW

THIS IS AWESOME

Your use of colour and lighting is great, but your sense of composition is even better. Everything is aligned to allow the viewer's eye to naturally follow a path through the entire piece. The detail is great, and everything comes together to give a definite sense of a peaceful, but, as you said, a bit of a suspenseful atmosphere.

Love it! Best of luck! :)

thanks a lot, that's great to hear. :B

I really liked this drawing when I saw in the Ninja in Space poll. I love how you made Garmadon humanoid. He looks great even if his back turned to the viewer. 

The only other thing I'll say is that you succeeded in getting the atmosphere that you wanted. :) Good luck in the contest! 

oh lol yeah, I kind felt like having Garmadon in his minifig form might damage the picture, so I just went with a slightly more naturalistic interpretation of him.

thanks for the comments, everyone!

Edited by VampireBohrok

26203.jpg