Inika Lightning Explained

Hey yall, I've been tossing around this theory for a while and finally decided to post it. For a long time, since the moment it was featured in the story, a lot of fans disliked the whole Inika lightning incident, thinking it illogical, implausible, silly, whatever. At first glance, it does look that way.But I would like to submit to you that Bionicle is about mystery, especially with the Red Star, and things not making sense immediately are to be expected. I think we may have seriously misinterpreted the point of this lightning -- not as nonsensical plot copout but as a clue to a larger truth, most of which we have now already learned from other parts of the story.We know that Matoran language is programming language.We know that the Red Star influences destiny; that was its introduction to us in MNOG. Or at least it seemed to report on destiny, albeit in a much more limited way than the dome illusion stars inside the MU.We also know (now) that it helped Mata Nui travel between planets. This one isn't as relevant here, but it does establish that the RS probably had a powerful energy source and had to have been designed in some way to respond to Mata Nui's commands. Let's suppose that this system is remote-controlled, so that he could easily coordinate his takeoff from planets and docking with the RS.Fourthly, there is lightning, and then there is static electricity.Now, before I continue, this theory rests in part on an earlier theory I had, which I think explains almost everything about protodermis.It was in essence that the molecules of protodermis are like nanites which project powerful energy fields, based on communal code within the nanites. The specific physics -- whether mimicking normal matter or projecting powers -- are all run by the code and the energy fields. (And the nanites had a life potential that could be switched on, to become organic protodermis cells.)I summed this theory up as "cyberclay." With it you could make almost anything, with almost any physics and behaviors.NOTE: I'm talking here about the artificial protodermis the GBs made, not the Energized Protodermis that pre-existed. I'm not worrying about the relationship between the two in this theory, though it is relevant to the cyberclay theory itself, obviously.Now, one more piece of evidence.There is a lot of reason to think that destiny in the Matoran Universe is an actual program running in the cyberclay code, which compares all running systems and comes up with course corrections to guide events towards good results (or at least results the GBs programmed in as desired). Some destinies appear to have been programmed by the GBs, others apparently by Mata Nui.I propose, first, that the destiny programs still run even while Mata Nui is asleep, and can still make changes and course corrections and maybe even set new destinies, although not as intelligently as when Mata Nui did it.This fits with the MNOG end, in which Vakama commented that destiny had changed. Mata Nui had been well asleep by this time, and the RS had moved, which was interpreted by Vakama that way. Let's presume for sake of argument that MNOG's portrayal / Vakama are right about that.Now, one way to transmit code is electricity, right? You're using a device that is doing that in some way right now.What if, under normal circumstances, this always-running destiny program has been making little static electricity zaps to course correct events, and make minor alterations to protodermis's code?This would have huge implications considering the Inika lightning.Also, there's the fact that there were living beings up there. That last one might not be relevant, but what if, when faced with choices the destiny system would normally require Mata Nui to decide on, it instead sent up these questions to the beings on the Red Star?If so, they may have played an active role in destiny. Maybe not, though; it's not necessary to the basic theory.Now, notice that Jaller's team had just gone to Voya Nui. True, it's protodermic, but it's far removed from the normal intended connections with the rest of the giant robot.Because they were so far away, destiny could not use the mere static electricity zaps to course correct.And although maybe only a few minutes or hours elapsed, that might be enough for them to get seriously far off track of destiny. And maybe it could tell they would SOON get even farther off, so it needed to prepare them for that.So it had to make the changes much more dramatic than normal, and had to sort of "hijack" the RS remote connection, and its high-powered energy source, to make a much bigger bolt of coded electricity transmission. Maybe if you time-elapsed it, you would see it flash in coded signals, not the seemingly random flashes the unaided eye would observe.The radical differences, even possibly the color changes, could have been psysics and even (with the colors) merely psychological "last resorts" to really make it clear to the Inika that things were seriously wrong there. Hewkii changing color may actually have a purpose, then -- a giant red flag the destiny system was trying to send them, meaning "guys, be careful, you're pretty much on you're own out there." Of course it was a lame attempt of a not-even-alive system to communicate so the Toa didn't understand. But it doesn't necessarily have to just be chalked up to set design changes.The color changes actually weren't that radical, possibly; multiple color schemes are possible for Matoran, so maybe Toa too. What the destiny system did was simply make a lot of them change color much more than normal (Toa Vakama to Turaga Vakama, maskwise, for example).This might also imply destiny was involved in the adaptive armor of the Newva, because of Pohatu's change, but he was in the MU, so he never noticed the tiny zap that caused that. (His change was probably to adapt to the orange Av-Matoran either way though, so destiny might not need to be involved in that one.)So whatchyall think?

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It sounds plausible, but I'm not sure basing a theory around colour changes is a great plan when that's down to set design people, rather than the story team. It does make sense though. I doubt the Kestora have any say in changes to destiny, the way they behave in TPTB suggests that they have pretty much no idea what's going on outside of the star.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

It's not based around color changes, but destiny and some other things. The theory just does help provide one actual explanation for the color changes, but the color part of it can be removed and the theory still works. :) Also story HAS given much precedent that set design is given storyline explanations.Yeah, you're probably right about that part; it's just one interesting possibility the theory opens up.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

:kaukau: Like Taipu said, it's plausible. Granted, the lightning was mysterious enough that it's hard to accept any explanation, but your theory seems to at least be in keeping with the feel for the Bionicle narrative that Greg Farshtey established, and even to some degree the feel of the incomparable days of MNOG I&II.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

I actually very much like this theory. That does a lot to cohere the MU together on an intrinsic level and also completely explains the Inika. However, I'm not too sure how I feel about a constant surge of static electricity just buzzing through every particle in the MU. After all, if protodermis does have the ability to physically project itself as anything, wouldn't it make more sense (and also be a little more natural) that it utilised every elemental at its disposal to transmit code? It'd be just like the interaction of non-protodermic particles, with kinetic and light energy and so on, except for with a bunch of code being simultaneously spread, rather than everything having to be charged.The electric field would make sense of why everything in the MU seems to be magnetic, though.

Edited by Kagha
bannae.png

Can you give YOURSELF the Key to Nongu award?Anyways, I think there would have to be an amount of Toa Power in the lightning to actually change them, as well as making it their destiny. I also think they overdosed on the Toa Power, which explains the color changes and the extra power. Don't forget, Hahli got white streaks in her armor as well as Matoro and Haller getting trans-parts (Which I think are canonically glowing rather than translucent), and Kongu getting silver markings. Regarding Kongu's inability to shut off his mask, I think that the Toa Power ordinarily transforms Kanohi from Matoran to Great, and in this case they also became organic, but since the mask was already a Great Mask, the Toa Power reacted negatively to it, thus messing with the control system.

aouROFb.png

If this were correct, would Toa of Lightning be able to control destiny? I think it would have to be a special lightning. Assuming all Toa control protodermic powers, then perhaps the Lightning is not protodermic in origin. However Gali was able to control none protodermic water so I'm not sure that would work. Of course there's the possibility the signals aren't technically lightning, and just have similar properties/behaviour to lightning.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

If this were correct, would Toa of Lightning be able to control destiny? I think it would have to be a special lightning. Assuming all Toa control protodermic powers, then perhaps the Lightning is not protodermic in origin. However Gali was able to control none protodermic water so I'm not sure that would work. Of course there's the possibility the signals aren't technically lightning, and just have similar properties/behaviour to lightning.

Well, Nikila does wear a Mask of Possibilities...

aouROFb.png

If this were correct, would Toa of Lightning be able to control destiny?

That's what stumped me too. That's why I posited the idea about the code being transferred not only through lightning or static, but through all the little subatomic interactions protodermic particles make with each other. Perhaps the only reason lightning was used in particular for the Inika was that there was no other way the Red Star could project its influence down to the surface of the planet through protodermic particles, so it sent a charge of lightning down to strike it.However, sticking to the static electricity theory, it's also possible that the static electric charges dispersing the code are too small (think electron clouds) for Lightning Toa to actually infuence destiny, since Toa are generally credited for macroscopic influence of their elements.And maybe when Lightning Toa actually use their element, it's a different (a purer?) form of lightning that they're summoning that doesn't carry an undercurrent of code with it so that they're not altering destiny every time they zap a foe. The same, I guess, could be said about lightning storms (or, going by my original spin on the theory, any Toa element and its natural counterpart really). :shrugs: Edited by Kagha
bannae.png

This is a good theory. It makes sense. Except, perhaps, for this, which I dragged up from the 10th page of the Official Red Star Guide:

I will give you a scoop, which you can share (or not) as you choose -- a big part of the rest of this serial is going to take place inside the red star ... which is NOT altogether for what people think it is for ... and I will give you some things to keep in mind:1) The beings in the red star2) Jaller's death and rebirth in MOL, and exactly how and why it happened.3) Why it was safe for Teridax to kill so many Makuta over the years

Well, I have an idea. It is so obvious I didn't think of it before.Jaller was revived by Takutanuva, part Makuta. What does Jaller go on to do? Be a Toa Inika and aid Matoro in saving Mata Nui's life - a thing that Makuta wanted. He was zapped into power by the Red Star. Without that, Mata Nui would have died. Makuta needed Jaller to live and be a Toa to complete his plan. He didn't need the Makuta, who were killed in droves. The Red Star was on the side of one Makuta Teridax. Now, he's dead, and they will be against anything that opposed him.  Weren't all the murdered characters in TPTB againest Teridax? ;-)

The Inika Lightening is not a deus ex machina for sure! :)

That Jaller thing could also add perfectly to this theory. Jaller was destined to help save Mata Nui, so he couldn't die, destiny made sure he was alive to help out. Where the Red star comes into that, I'm not sure, but Greg obviously has some sort of link.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Very plausible. As if the inhabitants of the RS actively play part in making sure certain events happen, or at least held mend what is broken. Your cyberclay theory is not new to me, so this coincides well in my mind. In part, an active signal of energy relayed the information to re-code the matoran to become the toa needed, and the lightning is a side effect of that interaction?And I agree with the RS inhabitants aided those destined, like Jaller, to fulfill their destiny. As for why the RS has not interacted much to stop Teridax from taking over, that is unknown to me.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Is Karda Nui similar to Voya Nui in that I'd imagine these theoretical destiny signals wouldn't be able to penetrate it's shields. This could again be why the Toa Nuva changed colour, like Hewkii, it was a warning?

That's an interesting idea. I didn't go with it because I felt since it's inside the MU, it shouldn't be a problem, and the shield is generated by something protodermic. But it's possible. I doubt it, though because there is some evidence of direct wire-like connections running underground from Karda Nui to other locations, like the Coliseum. Given its purpose, that would make sense, and it seems the shield must have (difficult to reach) holes for these wires. Destiny system could go through those.

wouldn't it make more sense (and also be a little more natural) that it utilised every elemental at its disposal to transmit code?

That's an excellent point; I should have thought of that. It also occured to me after posting that maybe normal "zaps" are even a lot tineir, more on the molecular scale, than what we normally think of with the term "static electricity", so it could be more like normal electric interactions between matter, except coded.But running with your idea, this could imply there is an elemental (or machine-based or both) lightning system on the Red Star for some purpose, and this is the only reason why lightning was used. What purpose such a system could be put to, I'm not sure, though.I suppose one answer would be that destiny knew long, long, long ago the Inika would need this. Or maybe it was simply a general contingency system from the GBs in case someone needed Toa-ized far from destiny's normal reach.

Anyways, I think there would have to be an amount of Toa Power in the lightning to actually change them

Yeah, I was gonna mention that and forgot. It's possible the lightning was totally made up of Toa Energy and simply transmitted in coded stops and starts.If so and combining with the above contingency idea, we could theorize that there is a specific machine on the Red Star that could be called the Long Range Toa-izer.

I highly doubt it, because the speeds at which electric coding are stopstarted are nearly at the speed of light, and besides, the Toa doesn't know how to translate spoken Matoran into its binary version. There would have to be binary versions of all the letters/sounds and these would be combined into words.It's also possible that the actual nanite code is a more basic binary, and that Matoran is only used in programming it (activating binary libraries which translate Matoran into the more basic code when spoken to it in the right circumstances). This would be very similar to real-world "english" programming languages.But even without that, it would be like if you knew how to speak English, but not how to write it.Yeah, no idea what to make of Greg's hints, but Taipu1's response makes sense. Actually I have one idea what Greg might mean, but I desperately hope he doesn't 'cuz it's an idea I've used for one of my Paracosmos big secrets LOL.

As for why the RS has not interacted much to stop Teridax from taking over, that is unknown to me.

Well, Greg confirmed Makuta was supposed to take it over. He wasn't really supposed to be evil, but if he did turn evil, destiny could use him to achieve its goals anyways. Mata Nui was supposed to take over another robot (apparently a third they never made, but the prototype served the purpose), and Makuta was supposed to take over the main one, and both would work together for the reforming.So destiny had no reason to stop him from taking over. Admittedly, if it could have, it would have been temporarily better for the MU inhabitants (by far), but in the long run, Spherus Magna might not have been able to be reformed, and apparently lives were at stake because of that (not really sure why on that one though). Edited by bonesiii

Hmm... I dunno about the color change. With the Nuva, their adaptive armor probably played a part in that (matching the av-matoran so they would blend in).With the Inika? Well, they didn't exactly turn into toa through toa stone, and it must have taken quite a bit of energy to transport through space in such a short amount of time. I remember a recent theory that proposed a destined matoran housed mutagens along with energy in a small chamber. I'd think lightning would be enough to easily break that chamber, and maybe the additional energy from the lightning mixed with the mutagen to alter their appearance and give them the ability to shoot lightning as well as make their heads glow (well, not so much the sets... But story-wise for sure). Of course, that's assuming the other theory is correct, but the point is, it's not a stretch to find another logical explanation (not that yours isn't possible, but it seems kinda off to me... After all this isn't a conventional way for a toa to be created, or so I'd assume). Why I don't like these theories: They jeopardize the image I have in my head of Mata Nui standing on the Red Star, holding his trident and yelling "YOU SHALL BE NIGHT LIGHTS!" then zapping the matoran because he's just plain bored and crazy after so many years of isolation. (Of course, that scenario would never work in the canon anyway, but this theory doesn't help that. XP).As far as I can tell, it all seems to fit, and logically to boot. I can't say there's really much to support or hinder this theory, but it's an interesting point to take into consideration.Although, the inhabitants living on the red star don't strike me as the type to get involved with the MU by altering destiny. Then again, I could be wrong.

Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I highly doubt it, because the speeds at which electric coding are stopstarted are nearly at the speed of light, and besides, the Toa doesn't know how to translate spoken Matoran into its binary version. There would have to be binary versions of all the letters/sounds and these would be combined into words.It's also possible that the actual nanite code is a more basic binary, and that Matoran is only used in programming it (activating binary libraries which translate Matoran into the more basic code when spoken to it in the right circumstances). This would be very similar to real-world "english" programming languages.But even without that, it would be like if you knew how to speak English, but not how to write it.
They wouldn't need to understand the code to interfere though, and speed of stopping and starting the signal might not matter. Hypothetically, could a Toa of Lightning simply take control and make the signal just one continuous thing, presumably stopping any control Mata Nui or the Red Star had over destiny?

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Now that I think on it, Voya Nui is made of protodermis, just like Mata Nui. The cord would also be made of proto-rock too, which would be in contact with the sea floor- the robot's chest. The 'signals' could have got there; if the projection was so weak, why wasn't there a huge "correction" on Mata Nui? Further away, not strong enough?EDIT: Never mind, have been disproven in another topic.

Edited by fishers64

Why I don't like these theories: They jeopardize the image I have in my head of Mata Nui standing on the Red Star, holding his trident and yelling "YOU SHALL BE NIGHT LIGHTS!" then zapping the matoran because he's just plain bored and crazy after so many years of isolation. (Of course, that scenario would never work in the canon anyway, but this theory doesn't help that. XP).

Lol. :P

They wouldn't need to understand the code to interfere though, and speed of stopping and starting the signal might not matter. Hypothetically, could a Toa of Lightning simply take control and make the signal just one continuous thing, presumably stopping any control Mata Nui or the Red Star had over destiny?

Perhaps. Keep in mind, though, others raised good points that it might not normally run by electricity but perhaps by any signal method available.

Now that I think on it, Voya Nui is made of protodermis, just like Mata Nui. The cord would also be made of proto-rock too, which would be in contact with the sea floor- the robot's chest. The 'signals' could have got there; if the projection was so weak, why wasn't there a huge "correction" on Mata Nui? Further away, not strong enough?EDIT: Never mind, have been disproven in another topic.

Why do you say never mind? I actually think that's a very good point, one I should have thought of. At least since the cord formed, I guess there would be an unbroken chain of protodermis connected to protodermis. It argues strongly against the theory. Although the Toa Energy part may still have been a reason to use that channel, so the theory could still work. And further away might help explain why destiny picked a faster method, but it probably should have worked (the destiny part anyhow). Thoughts?

Why do you say never mind? I actually think that's a very good point, one I should have thought of. At least since the cord formed, I guess there would be an unbroken chain of protodermis connected to protodermis. It argues strongly against the theory. Although the Toa Energy part may still have been a reason to use that channel, so the theory could still work. And further away might help explain why destiny picked a faster method, but it probably should have worked (the destiny part anyhow). Thoughts?
Well, you see, I my theory that the cord was always there was disproven in the "The Geography of the Matoran Universe" topic. So the protochain would have been broken for a while; a larger correction might have been needed; too much at once would have damaged the channel. Also, I always attributed that whole deal to Teridax calling up his cronies in the Red Star (telepathically, of course) and yelling "I need some new Matoran to become Toa! The Toa Nuva are losing, and I need out of this stupid glass box!" :PAlthough I guess Mata Nui could have sent that signal, but wasn't he supposed to be asleep?

The cord was in place for at least a few hundred years; I forget the exact number (but it thickened over time).

The cord was in place for at least a few hundred years; I forget the exact number (but it thickened over time).

Would that be enough time for destiny to right itself? I would think so. In that case, I would chalk the lightening up to Mata Nui needing a set of Toa that could fight the Piraka, and that was the mechanism he had available.

Yeah, I now think the lightning = destiny programmer part of my theory has to be wrong, because of the cord. Clearly there is such a thing as destiny and my theory about it being a subsystem in the cyberclay still works but the lightning can't be taken as direct evidence for it. So there probably was no stopstart coding in the lightning, just a beam like any other lightning but carrying Toa Energy.So what I'm thinking now is that the lightning is the result of a long-range Toa-izer device intended as yet another contingency of the GBs, for if a destined Matoran leaves the MU (while Mata Nui is on a planet, and presumably to solve some emergency). This does make sense as cord or not it's still much harder to get a Toa Stone to such a Matoran on VN, and in that case destiny would know that as Matoran they would not be able to help the Nuva, so they needed remote Toa-izing even though other Toa were on the island (and besides, it could not at that time risk any Nuva becoming a Turaga as their destiny was not yet achieved).

Yeah, I now think the lightning = destiny programmer part of my theory has to be wrong, because of the cord. Clearly there is such a thing as destiny and my theory about it being a subsystem in the cyberclay still works but the lightning can't be taken as direct evidence for it. So there probably was no stopstart coding in the lightning, just a beam like any other lightning but carrying Toa Energy.So what I'm thinking now is that the lightning is the result of a long-range Toa-izer device intended as yet another contingency of the GBs, for if a destined Matoran leaves the MU (while Mata Nui is on a planet, and presumably to solve some emergency). This does make sense as cord or not it's still much harder to get a Toa Stone to such a Matoran on VN, and in that case destiny would know that as Matoran they would not be able to help the Nuva, so they needed remote Toa-izing even though other Toa were on the island (and besides, it could not at that time risk any Nuva becoming a Turaga as their destiny was not yet achieved).

Do you think it was intended for any MU inhabitants to leave the MU? Or would this remote Toa-iser be an emergency thing in case some escaped, to create Toa to defend them and get them back in the robot? Actually, what about something else? The Red Star might have the capacity to launch lightening to dissolve obstacles as it orbits around a planet to avoid smashing into, say, an asteroid. What's more intriguing is where they got the Toa energy to put into the lightening; usually that only comes from Toa. There's Toa up there?

Do you think it was intended for any MU inhabitants to leave the MU? Or would this remote Toa-iser be an emergency thing in case some escaped, to create Toa to defend them and get them back in the robot?Actually, what about something else? The Red Star might have the capacity to launch lightening to dissolve obstacles as it orbits around a planet to avoid smashing into, say, an asteroid. What's more intriguing is where they got the Toa energy to put into the lightening; usually that only comes from Toa. There's Toa up there?
First of all, I really like this theory. Partly because I have seen no other concept that would resolve the Red Star prophecy maker/Toa maker issue, but partly because it just makes sense to me. Not sure about the rewriting destiny part though. On the matter above, I don't think that the Great Beings intended for the MU inhabitants to leave, but I would agree that they planned for it. There are escape tunels all over the MU, odds are that some Matoran would get lost sooner or later.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

Do you think it was intended for any MU inhabitants to leave the MU? Or would this remote Toa-iser be an emergency thing in case some escaped, to create Toa to defend them and get them back in the robot?

It's certainly one possibility. I just meant in general. Any imaginable scenario in which a destined Matoran is outside the MU and needs Toa-izing, and is under the real sky. Could also be to repair some outer damage or if perhaps natives were to get in and kidnap some Matoran.

Actually, what about something else? The Red Star might have the capacity to launch lightening to dissolve obstacles as it orbits around a planet to avoid smashing into, say, an asteroid. What's more intriguing is where they got the Toa energy to put into the lightening; usually that only comes from Toa. There's Toa up there?

Well, Toa Energy probably comes from some original source; maybe it's this Toa-izer, or this is a copy of it. Or perhaps it simply has a Toa Stones Kestora or automatic devices would load as ammo, put there by the GBs. There's no evidence as far as I know that Toa have ever been there, though it's possible.

There are escape tunels all over the MU, odds are that some Matoran would get lost sooner or later.

Yep. Or perhaps external features like the Kini-Nui might need repairs. :shrugs:

Do you think it was intended for any MU inhabitants to leave the MU? Or would this remote Toa-iser be an emergency thing in case some escaped, to create Toa to defend them and get them back in the robot?

It's certainly one possibility. I just meant in general. Any imaginable scenario in which a destined Matoran is outside the MU and needs Toa-izing, and is under the real sky. Could also be to repair some outer damage or if perhaps natives were to get in and kidnap some Matoran.

Actually, what about something else? The Red Star might have the capacity to launch lightening to dissolve obstacles as it orbits around a planet to avoid smashing into, say, an asteroid. What's more intriguing is where they got the Toa energy to put into the lightening; usually that only comes from Toa. There's Toa up there?

Well, Toa Energy probably comes from some original source; maybe it's this Toa-izer, or this is a copy of it. Or perhaps it simply has a Toa Stones Kestora or automatic devices would load as ammo, put there by the GBs. There's no evidence as far as I know that Toa have ever been there, though it's possible.

There are escape tunels all over the MU, odds are that some Matoran would get lost sooner or later.

Yep. Or perhaps external features like the Kini-Nui might need repairs. :shrugs:
Wait. That theory about Matoran having Toa power stored in their bodies and is released by an outside Toa Power source. They do have a Matoran. Mavrah. They could have reverse-engineered the Toa Power. Or maybe Toa Power is just the same as the power the Red Star uses for lightning.

aouROFb.png