The Official Music Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So what am I into? The short version: I like music with huge melodic hooks/melodies and driving/solid beats. 

The long version: I LOVE the 2 most hated things in all of music: 80's music and Metal music.

Why?

I love 80's music because it's just pure fun. 80's rock bands such as Journey, Def Leppard, Genesis, Asia, and many more bands who made songs that I just enjoy listening to more than anything else. I don't care if 80's is frowned upon now; I think it's good music.

I know that a lot of people here like metal, but overall it's not a widely accepted thing among my every day friends. I'm into power/progressive metal such as Evergrey, Vanishing Point, Symphony X & Stratovarius, Alternative Metal such as Sevendust, Breaking Benjamin, and Disturbed, and Melodic Death Metal bands such as Mercenary, The Unguided and In Flames. I don't mind growls in my music, but I'm beginning to feel like that was more of a phase for me in my high school years because I just don't get the same enjoyment out of hearing growls in the music (save for bands such as The Unguided, Mercenary & Trivium) that I used to.

I like other genres such as pop and I also like rock music from any time period after the 60's, but 80's and metal are just the 2 things I love the most in music. 

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

• 5 weeks later...

Lust and Loathing by The Unguided, Incarnate by Killswitch Engage, Jomsviking by Amon Amarth, Ursa by Novembre, Weezer (White Album) by Weezer, Gore by Deftones, Seven Heads Ten Horns by The Foreshadowing, You Will Never Be One of Us by Nails, The Singularity (Phase II) by Scar Symmetry, Transcendence by Devin Townsend Project, and the as-yet-untitled in-production albums by Alice in Chains, Architects, Blood Stain Child, Dark Tranquillity, Gojira, In the Silence, Katatonia, Kvelertak, Machinae Supremacy, Slowdive, and The Smashing Pumpkins.

also hoping for new stuff from The Cure, Converge, and The Agony Scene this year, but I have no idea if that'll happen.

Edited by Scythey

I'm very excited for the upcoming albums from Charli XCX,  Tove Lo, Cassadee Pope, and HAIM. 

I'm somewhere between moderately and a little excited for new albums from Lorde, Danielle Bradbery, Ariana Grande, Icon For Hire, Hailee Steinfeld, VERIDIA, and The 1975.

I have no confirmation if it will happen, but I'm hoping for new material from Florrie and Taylor Swift.

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

what if listening to jeff buckley makes me unbearably sad and im not a big enough elvis fan to own an elvis album

unless we're talking elvis kuehn

cuz hes one cool customer

edit: jag are you serious new lorde would be wicked cool, that song she did with disclosure is still one of my jams in regular rotatino

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

the new single, "King of the World", is more like "Get High" although not quite as good. kind of reminds me of something off of Green Album or one of the poppier Everything Will Be Alright tracks like "Lonely Girl".

either way, I pre-ordered it. got the three singles they've released so far as instant grat tracks which is pretty sweet. there's something very aesthetically pleasing to me about that album art on an iPod.

edit: well, this makes me even more excited. the album's co-producer Jake Sinclair actually showed up on the All Things Weezer fan forum and posted the following:

"i'm definitely looking forward to seeing your reactions to the rest of the album, it leans more DYWGH than it does TGFG (although in context of the album, TGFG will make a lot more sense). believe it or not, L.A. Girlz will definitely be a [fan] favorite. i think it'll draw a lot of Suzanne comparisons (which was a favorite of mine during that era)."

Edited by Scythey

the new single, "King of the World", is more like "Get High" although not quite as good. kind of reminds me of something off of Green Album or one of the poppier Everything Will Be Alright tracks like "Lonely Girl".

either way, I pre-ordered it. got the three singles they've released so far as instant grat tracks which is pretty sweet. there's something very aesthetically pleasing to me about that album art on an iPod.

edit: well, this makes me even more excited. the album's co-producer Jake Sinclair actually showed up on the All Things Weezer fan forum and posted the following:

"i'm definitely looking forward to seeing your reactions to the rest of the album, it leans more DYWGH than it does TGFG (although in context of the album, TGFG will make a lot more sense). believe it or not, L.A. Girlz will definitely be a [fan] favorite. i think it'll draw a lot of Suzanne comparisons (which was a favorite of mine during that era)."

C: good stuff

i never noticed they were standing on a beach

i wonder if wavves and weezer will ever collaborate

Wavvezer - King Of The BeachWorld

only in dreams.

• 1 month later...

i know this is a double post but this thred is ded im just the defibrillator nahmean

but yeah how freaking good is weezer's LA girlz

i mean, idk if its actually good, or just good compared to the garbagefest that is thank god for girls but i do know that i absolutely love it

only in dreams.

• 4 weeks later...

probably nobody but me will care about this but last night original guitarist James Iha performed with The Smashing Pumpkins for the first time in over 15 years

they played a bunch of songs from the Siamese Dream era and it sounded amazing

original drummer Jimmy Chamberlin is back in the band as of last year so now the only missing piece of the puzzle is bassist D'arcy Wretzky, but unfortunately she's not in the best health so I don't see that happening. still, I'm absolutely down with 3/4 of the original lineup. I really hope Iha keeps collaborating with them to some extent, even though his replacement is still technically in the band.

got my pre-order copy of Weezer's White Album in the mail on Thursday (a day ahead of the official release date), and holy cannoli, it doesn't disappoint at all. after giving it a bunch of listens I honestly think I like it even more than Everything Will Be Alright in the End, which pretty much means it's my new third-favorite Weezer album behind Pinkerton and Blue Album (at #1 and #2, respectively).

it's kind of a shame that literally half the album was released months ahead of time, but everything fits together really well in context. I even have a newfound appreciation for "Thank God for Girls", which I was kind of iffy on before. "Jacked Up" is probably going to be the most divisive track for people but I dig it a lot as well.

and on that note, Rivers confirmed in an interview that for the past six months the band has been hard at work on a more experimental Black Album, presumably due later in the year. all aboard the hype train.

(hopefully this double post isn't too soon or anything. I didn't see anything in the double post discussion regarding time limits, so I figure 5 days is long enough.)

You're fine on the double post; I didn't specify a kind of minimum interval in between and don't really think there should be one.

Good to hear the album turned out; I had heard "Thank God for Girls" and was like "...what?" but maybe it just didn't work as a single. I'm not sure if I'm ready to move beyond the Blue Album and Pinkerton just yet, but we'll see.

I recently got back into Anberlin after ditching them for Rise Against and Three Days Grace. I'm giving Anberlin's more recent stuff a try and I gotta say, it was worth it. I haven't listened to entire albums yet, but I will never regret listening to "IJSW" and "We Are Destroyer". It stinks that Anberlin broke up back in 2014, but that kinda stuff makes you appreciate a band's work a little more since it's all you've got from them.

mindeth the cobwebs

i think im really gonna like this album california kids is like some og weezer

also im predicting now, black album is gonna be like weezer and weezy, except its gonna be weezer and k.dot (black album means experimentation and also referencing the blacker the berry)

edit2: white album is growing on me, i still wish they could be like they were but unless matt sharp comes back and they all magically age backwards that wont happen

i guess i just wish rivers could still be the young awkward outcast i relate to so well, but that isnt his life anymore ;_; hes all grown up

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

I think people give Matt Sharp waaay too much credit for the band's early sound, and honestly both Everything Will Be Alright and White Album sound pretty close to old-school Blue-era Weezer, especially White.

I absolutely love The White Album. it's without a doubt their third-best and just short of tying for second with Blue Album imo.

now, The Black Album I'm a lot more nervous about. Rivers has described it variously as "dark", "gritty", "more urban", and "more R-rated" with an emphasis on synthesizers and samples, which are all things I typically would not associate with Weezer (even Pinkerton, as dark and abrasive as it was, still had a sense of humor and fun). not to mention when I think of a more urban Weezer with synths and samples, I immediately think of "Can't Stop Partying", which is not something any human being should ever have to think of.

double posting to alert everyone to the fact that the album Mister Asylum by Highly Suspect is currently only 99 cents on Google Play. pretty much one of the best straight-up rock albums I've heard in a long time, highly recommended to fans of bluesy/stoner hard rock type stuff like Clutch, Kyuss, Royal Blood, etc. and basically just no-frills rock 'n roll in general

also Paranoid by Black Sabbath is free on Google Play too, that album is a stone-cold classic and there's no excuse for anyone not to own it

highly suspect are pretty gr8

idk im excited for the black album but when i read experimental i immediately though of weezer and weezy and i got really scared

but kendrick runs the game right now and scott shriner had compton on his spotify playlist so hopefully k.dot's open to that, if indeed weezer wants to do more rap experiments

edit: well im just sayin that after matt sharp left we got island in the sun level songwriting instead of surf wax america or the good life level songwriting

jus sayn

you got a point tho, mostly its just the equipment change i think, cuz the guitars and amps they used for blue were rare and modified and magical

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

• 4 weeks later...

^ Does that by chance include Tchaikovsky? I do love me some The Nutcracker.

Lately I've just been catching up with some 2016 stuff: Over the past week I've listened to the new Iggy Pop, The 69 Eyes, Perturbator, tricot, Fallujah, Rob Zombie, the cold droning noise of the void within me, and BABYMETAL. All of which are good to great, except for the Rob Zombie album which is pretty poor and probably his worst album yet.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

I've primarily been jamming the new Vektor, Death Grips, Perturbator, and Dälek albums that have been released in the past few weeks. beyond that, a lot of old-school hip-hop as well as a mixture of stuff including Chelsea Wolfe, Silversun Pickups, Converge, Death, Disfear, and Emma Ruth Rundle. been kinda all over the place really.

My rotation these past few weeks has mostly been Kayo Dot (Experimental stuff) Haken (Prog Metal), Devin Townsend Project (Varies, mostly progressive to an extent), Koenjihyakkei (Zeuhl), Gorguts (Tech Death), Maurice Ravel (Impressionist Classical), Cardiacs (Psychedelic Pronk-Pop) with some Vodun (Heavy-Afro-Soul-Doom) and Knifeworld (Psychedelic Math/Prog). Throw in some Secret Chiefs 3 for good measure.

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

Pronk is a really stupid genre name for a prog-punk fusion- Cardiacs never liked the title, but it was a pretty weird genre name for a pretty weird band, so it fit in that regard.

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.