The Official Music Topic

sorry, gotta put on my punk snob hat for a minute

wouldn't post-punk or art-punk cover that pretty well? "prog-punk" is kind of an oxymoron considering punk stylistically started as a rebellion against the overtly technical and progressive music that was becoming popular in the 1970s. it's literally the antithesis of prog in every possible way. "post-punk" as a term works though because it doesn't claim to actually be punk, but a style of music that takes elements of punk and adds a more experimental/progressive edge to it. even just "progressive rock" alone would make more sense since prog usually draws from a number of different styles without adhering strictly to any one of them, so punk could be included in that fusion without actually making the band punk.

sorry, gotta put on my punk snob hat for a minute

wouldn't post-punk or art-punk cover that pretty well? "prog-punk" is kind of an oxymoron considering punk stylistically started as a rebellion against the overtly technical and progressive music that was becoming popular in the 1970s. it's literally the antithesis of prog in every possible way. "post-punk" as a term works though because it doesn't claim to actually be punk, but a style of music that takes elements of punk and adds a more experimental/progressive edge to it. even just "progressive rock" alone would make more sense since prog usually draws from a number of different styles without adhering strictly to any one of them, so punk could be included in that fusion without actually making the band punk.

Yep, I'm aware of punk's origins- however, it is interesting to note that there are a fair number of proto-punk bands and influencers who also could fit in the progressive rock spectrum- notably, early DEVO- (which was very much proto-punk before they went new wave)- Peter Hammill is another interesting individual in this spectrum, exerting some influence on the Sex Pistols despite being a member of VdGG (which was highly prog.) He also wrote Nadir's Big Chance which is pretty close to a proto-punk release, if not one entirely. You can also see these crossovers in the music of the RIO (Rock In Opposition) scene- artsy progressive music delivered with a seething hatred of conventions and the establishment that culminated in some people actually treating RIO as a genre.

Do I personally think the "pronk" label is particularly apt? Nah, it's a bit daft, but prevailing opinion associates it with the band, and I was only noting that classification.

If you found this text, know that Kevin isn't real.

He's a fairy tale to scare children.

30491886943_59e45988bd.jpgKevin. Is. Not. Real.

• 4 weeks later...

never got into twibap but i really enjoy picture of a tree that doesnt look okay

tbh i dont know how anyone doesnt like that song

cuz when it reaches that crescendo and theyre like WHERE DO THE ECHOES FROOOOM THE ECHOES GOOOOO

its bliss

anyway, cool that hes from yr hometown :fonz: (why dont we have a simple thumbs up, this vexes me)

i have been listening to guided by voices a lot, as evidenced by the rate the song above you thread

imo robert pollard is the best songwriter nobody knows about, hes put out hundreds upon hundreds of songs, and is still going. hes put out 2 gbv records this year, their catalog is intimidatingly expansive

not all of it is good, gbv are really hit or miss

but when they hit, they really hit

its just good catchy fun punk rock prog pop (i know you guys just had a discussion about prog punk but he really likes genesis and his song structures are weird sometimes so i think its prog)

only in dreams.

id start with their best-of, its what i did just because they have so many albums, and ol' bob's release 8 gbv records in the 13 years since the best-of's release...which came after 16 albums in the 15 years preceding it, and these numbers are just studio albums, there are 17 EPs that came out alongside these albums, there are splits, there are 3 box sets of 4 discs each, totaling 100 tracks per set...

so going through their catalog is rather arduous

with human amusements you get a good selection of what they can do, when they're not just playing with 4-track experiments and killing passable songs with bad production

btw, everything before do the collapse is gonna be all lo-fi and sometimes just bad sounding

like i said, theyre really hit or miss but there are so many songs that hit among the ones that don't, that its worth it to go through everything and find the gold

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

I think I'm looking to expand my metal horizons since I don't know much about it. Recs for heavier stuff, maybe a little bit on the progressive side too?

check out Katatonia. the new album The Fall of Hearts is their most progressive work yet and it's a great place to start.

Baroness, Devin Townsend Project, The Gathering, Ihsahn, In the Silence, Novembre, Opeth, and Soen are a few other recs I can give just going through the prog metal tag in my library.

Edited by Serein

I think I'm looking to expand my metal horizons since I don't know much about it. Recs for heavier stuff, maybe a little bit on the progressive side too?

check out Katatonia. the new album The Fall of Hearts is their most progressive work yet and it's a great place to start.

Baroness, Devin Townsend Project, The Gathering, Ihsahn, In the Silence, Novembre, Opeth, and Soen are a few other recs I can give just going through the prog metal tag in my library.

Hm, Katatonia sounds pretty excellent.

Re: Meshuggah, I've tried them before, but I should probably give another listen...

Crack the Skye by Mastodon is a fantastic progressive album, and pretty easy to get into as well. Definitely recommend giving it a try.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, Ihsahn is responsible for some of the most incredible progressive and avant-garde metal out there. He also takes influence from classical music, which might me of interest to you (he even did a neoclassical sort of album called Somium under the name Thou Shalt Suffer).

I definitely recommend checking out his album After, which is an amazing piece of avant-garde metal, with a great use of saxophone throughout. There's also The Adversary, which has a lot of that classical influence I mentioned, so I recommend that one too. And if you like those, then the rest of his stuff as well.

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

• 2 weeks later...

been gettin into Thursday hard lately. not sure why it took me so long. I've always seen people debate whether they or Thrice are better. I've loved Thrice for years, but now that I'm getting into Thursday, I think I like their overall sound more tbh.

hard to compare though since they went in totally different directions after their first few albums. even the stuff they did that was similar to one another had completely different vibes. I do know I like Geoff Rickly's voice and lyrics a lot more than Dustin Kensrue's though, as great as Dustin is.

ended up ordering 5 of their 6 albums (the first, their debut, wasn't very good from what I heard). not a bad album in that stretch, but imo the crown jewel of their discography is the final album No Devolución. they pretty much transcend their post-hardcore roots with that album and deliver a mesmerizingly dark, atmospheric, experimental masterpiece. you can hear the roots of the more post-punk / alternative strain of music that Geoff is doing with his current main outfit No Devotion, except even darker and more melancholy with very little of the synthpop / new wave influence. really good album, nearly perfect tbh. I'd go so far as to call it the Disintegration of post-hardcore (Thursday never shied away from The Cure influences, with Geoff even being dubbed "the post-hardcore Robert Smith" early in the band's career).

Edited by Serein

• 2 weeks later...

i hope im not abusing the double post privilege but blink dropped a new single called no future and i hate it

ditching tom "we don't call them aliens" delonge and bringing matt skiba into the fold was a big step in the right direction but jeez

i could hear the pitch correction struggling with marks high notes in the bridge and it made me sad

only in dreams.

• 1 month later...

I just happen to check this topic out finally and WHADDYA KNOW the latest post mentions that there new Blink material which I JUST HAPPEN to have listened to some of recently. Have an injection of activity courtesy of me.

​As someone who has listened to like, half of it? Via their YouTube channel, I can say that I kinda like it actually. There's some iffy parts, and both joke songs are super vanilla and don't sound like Blink lyric-wise, just like a twelve-year-old trying to be Blink*, but the instruments are nice and I legit dig Teenage Satellite and Kings Of The Weekend. Then again, Kings Of The Weekend turns into Generic Pop-Punk™ halfway through so of course I'd enjoy it. San Diego was nice too, and apparently Patrick Stump had a hand in it so I might be biased there because if you tell me "a member of Fall Out Boy sorta glanced at this thing once" I will be all over said thing. That's why to this day my favorite Transit song is All Your Heart, and I have barely listened to Transit.

​But speaking of iffy parts yeah, Mark's vocals sound off at times. We finally got a new Blink record though now that Tom's gone.

​...was it worth it, though?

​*but Built This Pool is legitimately catchy and Travis' "that was it?" at the end is great

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I've been listening to quite a bit of Blind Guardian lately - mostly the four most recent albums, because I've been feeling sad about not actually owning those four albums. This leaves Follow the Blind as the only one of their albums I've literally never listened to.

Beyond that... mostly pining for the Miracle of Sound albums I'm not in a position to buy yet.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I think they said they won't be working on any new material but still. just the knowledge that Thursday is still an active band is comforting to me and I hope I can see them live someday

sticking around a little while longer to take care of some things. also somewhat reconsidering my decision to leave, although either way my activity here will be reduced

i've been meaning to get into thursday because they toured with coheed and cambria once and i liked understanding in a car crash

​should i just start from their first album like i tend to do with bands nowadays or is there a specific album i should start off at?

[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I think they said they won't be working on any new material but still. just the knowledge that Thursday is still an active band is comforting to me and I hope I can see them live someday

sticking around a little while longer to take care of some things. also somewhat reconsidering my decision to leave, although either way my activity here will be reduced

nice

ah i see

well whatever you do; all the best, dog

edit: new adtr is pretty cool i guess, maybe it will grow on me

Edited by Johnny Truant

only in dreams.

i've been meaning to get into thursday because they toured with coheed and cambria once and i liked understanding in a car crash

​should i just start from their first album like i tend to do with bands nowadays or is there a specific album i should start off at?

their first album is kinda meh, but everything from their second album Full Collapse onwards is quality. their last album No Devolución is 5/5 GOAT material, definitely my favorite

so yeah, start with Full Collapse and work your way from there.

alright then, thanks

edit: new adtr is pretty cool i guess, maybe it will grow on me

it reminds me of a more refined and their name was treason, but i'm not fully into it either. maybe it's just because I was expecting it to sound more like common courtesy.

[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

• 2 weeks later...

Uhhh, let's see....

Saw... somebody at a corn festival when I was a kid. Mighta been Kansas, but I can't be 100%. I don't count that one, but it was pretty good.

Then there was a Led Zeppelin tribute band a few years back. They did a decent job, but they made some minor changes to the lyrics, which seems an odd decision.

Went to a ton of instrumental concerts when I was in college. The percussion ensemble always put on a great show, and there was this one professor who played bass like it was a lead instrument. Good stuff.

Saw Turisas and Firewind in 2012, really great show. Was about five or so feet from the stage, too, what with it being a pretty tiny place that cost like $20 to get in. Some drunk sasquatch tried to hug me, so that part was weird.

Last one was Dead & Company, earlier this year. Got to the show late, but what I saw was really good, and there were a bunch of people throwing balloons. 

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Cool!

I've been to see Rush, Iron Maiden (with Coheed & Cambria opening), RED (with Shine Bright Baby opening), Sevendust (acoustic), Winter Jam (which had a bunch of bands, but I was only there for Skillet), and my most recent one was 4 bands: Westfield Massacre (new metalcore band, but pretty good, especially for an opening act), Like a Storm (who didn't fit in with the other bands soundwise; they were more hard rock while the others were all metal or at least really heavy), Trivium (best act of the night) and Sevendust (non-acoustic).

I'd have to say the best two shows I saw were Iron Maiden and Trivium. I can't decide which I liked more honestly.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

^

d49b8e4f974e4e2498d6948815e685e6.jpg

What concerts has everyone here been to?

oh geez

im just gonna list them as i remember, and i wont remember all of them

Rush x2

The Gaslight Anthem x2

Ted Nugent

blink-182

A Day To Remember

Taking Back Sunday

The Menzingers

Saosin

'68

The Fall Of Troy

Four Year Strong

Slipknot x2

Anthrax

Whitechapel

Andrew W.K.

Descendents

The Sword

Municipal Waste

Less Than Jake

NOFX

Bruce Springsteen

fun.

Pat Green

The Wind And The Wave

The Replacements

Pearl Jam

Modest Mouse

Brand New

Matt Mays

Toadies

Quiet Company

Bullet For My Valentine

Sylosis

Lamb Of God x2

Nine Inch Nails

Soundgarden

Flogging Molly x2

Skinny Lister

thats about all i can remember, some of these were at the the same shows together, cuz festival lineups are weird sometimes

only in dreams.

because he was there

it was a guitar show, i spent most of the day wandering around a convention center wishing i could buy everything but having no money cuz i was 15 and without employment

plus i got to meet him and have a photo taken that i looked super awkward in cuz, you know, i was 15

so its not like i specifically went out of my way to go to a ted nugent concert

only in dreams.

• 3 weeks later...