More Cuusoo Projects Reach 10k

The newest LEGO Cuusoo ideas have hit 10,000 votes within a day of each other just this past week: From the creators of Poptropica is their own personal project: <a href='http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/34185' target='offsite'>Dr. Hare's Lair</a>, and from (unfortunately not Bill Murray, but) Brent Waller comes <a href='http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/36088' target='offsite'>Ghostbusters: 30th Anniversary</a>. Both projects are inspiring in their own unique way, and I look forward to seeing one wins out. My money is on Ghostbusters, personally. That's right, who ya gonna call?View the full article

As stupid as it is, my money is on Poptropica. Lego has already worked with nickelodeon in the past, I don't see why nickelodeon would say no; and if poptropica is still as stupidly popular as it was several years ago, lego would be making money..

I doubt the ghostbusters sets TBH. It would be aimed entirely at teen and adult fans, mostly adult, which isn't a good idea for a kids product. It's complicated, and (of course), has the dreaded custom minifigs, 4-5 of them. It could get shot down just for that alone.

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

As stupid as it is, my money is on Poptropica. Lego has already worked with nickelodeon in the past, I don't see why nickelodeon would say no; and if poptropica is still as stupidly popular as it was several years ago, lego would be making money.. I doubt the ghostbusters sets TBH. It would be aimed entirely at teen and adult fans, mostly adult, which isn't a good idea for a kids product. It's complicated, and (of course), has the dreaded custom minifigs, 4-5 of them. It could get shot down just for that alone.

The custom minifigures shouldn't kill it. The Back to the Future project had most of the same flaws you mentioned for the Ghostbusters project, after all. And the only "new mold" there is a single custom hairpiece that could easily be swapped out for an existing mold just as Doc Brown and Marty's hairpieces were for the BTTF project. Every other "custom" aspect of the figures just uses custom prints, which a LEGO Cuusoo product is fully capable of incorporating (The first Minecraft set has three unique printed elements; the Back to the Future project has eight, and this Ghostbusters project's minifigures would only need six or less: the torso, the right arm, and some of the faces).The only way custom minifigures can kill a project is if the project relies on new molds: in other words, if the project can't be reasonably achieved without new molds, or if the resulting product is not desirable without the new molds. That's why I think some people are a bit over-the-top in their doom-and-gloom prophecies for projects that include custom parts. The model is going to be redesigned anyway, and as such it's up to the designers to determine during the review whether existing parts (including unreleased parts that have been developed for future sets) will be able to perform the same function as custom parts that the project creator used.Using only existing parts also doesn't guarantee the viability of a project. If a project relies on molds that have been permanently retired (like monorail track), for instance, it will likely be just as hopeless as if it had relied on custom molds. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

I never even saw the Poptropica project, nor have I played Poptropica in years, but I really like the look of it, as for Ghostbusters, I remember I was one of the first hundred supporters on that, and I would love to see it as a set. Heck, the Ghostbusters song was in LEGO Rock Band! :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I forgot about how the minifig thing is just new molds; I'm skeptical about the arm printing, because it doesn't happen often on minifigs, but I suppose if Hinkle can get custom printed minifigs with printed arms, so can a cuusoo set :P

Also, it's not like two sets can't go through. Portal is still in review even though BTTF get through first.

BTW, I doubt that the Rotta mold hasn't been retired yet; that's one mold that they'd have to bring back. But they could just as easily leave Slimer out I suppose.

animated_icon_by_modaltmasks-d6shs5w.gifmodalt_banner.png 76561198054169989.png

I can see the biggest hurdle for Ghostbusters, and it has nothing to do with Lego's end of the contract. If I am not mistaken, Mattel has the rights in regards to action figures.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I can see the biggest hurdle for Ghostbusters, and it has nothing to do with Lego's end of the contract. If I am not mistaken, Mattel has the rights in regards to action figures.

Well, first of all, as long as there's a significant brick-built portion of the set, that shouldn't be a problem. It's only if minifigures are the primary components of a set that they would be classed as action figures (or more specifically, "articulated figures"). If there's a major brick-built component then they are "figures for building sets" and are more or less an accessory to the larger playset. This is why a lot of themes can have blister-packaged "minifigure packs" or "battle packs" containing just minifigs and a few accessories, but Star Wars "battle packs" always include a small brick-built ship or battlement.Also, not all licensing agreements are exclusive licensing agreements. LEGO didn't have exclusive licensing to produce Pirates of the Caribbean articulated figures, and in fact there were several companies that released Pirates of the Caribbean action figures for some of the movies, but that didn't stop LEGO from putting out a Pirates of the Caribbean Battle Pack without any considerable brick-built components. Exclusive licensing agreements can be a burden to an IP owner if it turns out the action figures that they licensed under one manufacturer aren't as profitable as they might be if produced by a different manufacturer.Hasbro's license to produce Star Wars action figures is an exclusive license that was carried over when they acquired Kenner. That's why LEGO has gotten into hot water so many times for distributing Star Wars minifigures that aren't accessories for an actual building set.

I'm not SUPER excited about either of these, but I would vote for the Ghostbusters set.

Same. Also, now we need lego pokemon... BD

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

I'm not SUPER excited about either of these, but I would vote for the Ghostbusters set.

Same. Also, now we need lego pokemon... BD

Funny you should mention that... here's a Pokemon project by BZPower member, Lego employee, and all-around cool guy Kevin Hinkle. If you want to see a licensed set, one of the best things you can do is support it on Cuusoo!I have high hopes for the Ghostbusters set being produced, as Ghostbusters fits in perfectly with the type of licensed themes Lego has produced in the past, and I don't think the license is held by any other building toy manufacturer. But the Poptropica set has fairly good odds of being produced as well. While the license in question there is more niche, it has a distinct advantage in that the project creators and the license holders are more or less one and the same. This means that licensing shouldn't be a barrier at all to that set being produced.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother