Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Guys I need some help with Tomb Raider for PlayStation One. It wont load properly. Spyro, HTBAMillonaire , Demo One work, but TR wont load past the end of the first cutscene. Also, GTA2 wont work. Help?

Only things I can think of are the discs are damaged, the disc reader is damaged, or it has to do with the memory card. I'd kinda doubt it being the disc reader since you can play other things on it, check the discs and try starting them with no memory cards in the console. I've had problems in the past with playing games when using non-Sony memory cards.

Lack of a C-Stick in Smash bugs me because of the incredibly tiny amount of lag I've noticed for doing smash attacks, they aren't Circle Pad+A, they're Circle Pad then A. Or maybe that's just because the circle pad feels really different from an analog stick.

Anyways, I've gotten used to it by now, but it's screwed me up so many times (especially in the minigames).

They include Mega Man, Little Mac, Robin, Mii (Gunner especially)Sonic, Toon Link, Kirby, Falco, and Sheik. Marth, Lucina, and Greninja all get points, but I don't think I am as good with them as the above. Marth/Lucina especially feel kinda wonky cause there's no C-Stick, but they aren't too terrible still

That opinion is wrong, as Marth is total garbage in this game :P

I'm still maining him though, because no one else is as sexy as Marth is. Other than him, I play C. Falcon, Lucina, Black Pit, Toon Link, Link, Pac-Man, Ganondorf, Bowser, and a touch of Ike. I do realize that Marth would be so much better if he had a C-Stick since most of his techniques require precise positioning while doing an air attack, but even with that, he'd still be pretty awful IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

DLC confirmed for Smash 4, first up is

Mewtwo.

All the other announcements today were pretty cool. Glad to see the return of stamina battles, and 8-player Smash sounds pretty insane, really interested to see how that turns out.

Also, Bayonetta 2 is coming out tomorrow, finally getting the game I bought my Wii U for! Really liked the demo on the eShop, and pretty interested in seeing how the port of the original compares to the last-gen versions.

Mewtwo.

All the other announcements today were pretty cool. Glad to see the return of stamina battles, and 8-player Smash sounds pretty insane, really interested to see how that turns out.

Half these things had no real reason for not being in the 3DS game, such as the huge collection of music or stamina battles, but 8-player Smash looks cool, I'll probably try out the board game once or twice, then only play it for Challenges, and never touch it again.

The game looks near perfect. It could use a bit of a balance patch, and I'd love Break the Targets DLC (and a Stage Hazard Switch is still my #1 desire for the game), but this looks awesome.

I can't wait for it to be hacked! :P

the reason is 3ds is selling excellent but wii u has only moved 7 million units in 2 years. if smash is supposed to be a killer app, the wiiu version needs to be master and commander, dig? it's a business, they don't care about your feelings.

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Mewtwo.

Half these things had no real reason for not being in the 3DS game, such as the huge collection of music or stamina battles, but 8-player Smash looks cool, I'll probably try out the board game once or twice, then only play it for Challenges, and never touch it again.

The game looks near perfect. It could use a bit of a balance patch, and I'd love Break the Targets DLC (and a Stage Hazard Switch is still my #1 desire for the game), but this looks awesome.

I can't wait for it to be hacked! :P

Yeah, I definitely missed stamina battles (and a whole lot of other features) on the 3DS, but...

the reason is 3ds is selling excellent but wii u has only moved 7 million units in 2 years. if smash is supposed to be a killer app, the wiiu version needs to be master and commander, dig? it's a business, they don't care about your feelings.

I agree. I am glad that the Wii U version is the definitive one; hopefully that will push sales.

They SHOULD have just not dropped the ball with the Wii U and had a better console with killer apps released about 2 years ago!

Ridley is my top choice for a newcomer next gen (as he was this gen). Other than that, for DLC, I want Lucas, Wolf, and Snake, and a declonified Roy. If they could make Young Link have a mask-based moveset (think Toro from Playstation Smash Bros.), I'd be up for that, and a Pichu who is still a clone but a really cheap download wouldn't hurt. In the way of newcomers, a Golden Sun rep would be nice, and a staff-based Krystal. Oh, and Bayonetta, but she won't happen :P

Mewtwo.

Also, Bayonetta 2 is coming out tomorrow, finally getting the game I bought my Wii U for! Really liked the demo on the eShop, and pretty interested in seeing how the port of the original compares to the last-gen versions.

I never doubted his inclusion. Haha...

I find some of the choices for stages very... interesting. Not to say I think they're stupid ideas. I will very much enjoy many of them... I was actually hoping for some of them.

Next character I want for DLC is Magolor. I know people were expecting Bandanna Waddle Dee, but I don't think, despite his playabillity, he would make for the good fourth Kirby rep. Magolor, on the other hand would be a very unique character. I was actually half expecting him to be on the default roster.

MetaKnight.gif  Stay vigilant, my friends. MetaKnight.gif

since the mewtwo dlc has confirmed everything is possible, what other characters do you want added?

In order of hype:

1. Lucas - Favorite character in Brawl. Still upset that he was cut. And before anyone claims (as someone inevitably does) that he won't be back because Ness took his specials, please refer to Doc, Lucina, and EPit.

2. Wolf - Second favorite character in Brawl. Also still upset that he was cut. Playtime's not over yet, my friends. Believe.

3. Snake - He's Snake. Honestly I think he still has a pretty good chance of making it in.

4. Ice Climbers - I didn't play them much but Smash just doesn't feel right without them ya feel. I'm predicting that they'll be announced alongside the official international announcement of the New 3DS as a New 3DS/Wii U exclusive and that they'll actually be released alongside Mewtwo next spring, since it's likely that a good deal of work was put into them before they were cut.

5. Isaac - He was one of my most wanted newcomers, and the fact that no Golden Sun references appear in Smash 4 at all is pretty suspicious.

6. Ray - Not quite as excited about him as about Isaac, but, like Golden Sun, Custom Robo isn't mentioned in Smash 4 in any form, leading me to believe that something bigger is on the way. Also, the concept of Custom Robo fits in very nicely with equipment/moveset customization.

I'd also be thrilled if we got Ridley or K Rool, but the former has basically no chance (unless he appears in his original form, as opposed to his Other M form that we see on Pyrosphere) and the latter I really doubt we'll see for some reason. Probably related to the fact that Sakurai has demonstrated time and again that he doesn't give a flying #### about Donkey Kong.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

since the mewtwo dlc has confirmed everything is possible, what other characters do you want added?

In order of hype:

1. Lucas - Favorite character in Brawl. Still upset that he was cut. And before anyone claims (as someone inevitably does) that he won't be back because Ness took his specials, please refer to Doc, Lucina, and EPit.

2. Wolf - Second favorite character in Brawl. Also still upset that he was cut. Playtime's not over yet, my friends. Believe.

I know how you must feel without your mains. My mains in Brawl were Marth, Falco, and Snake, who either aren't in this game, or are complete garbage in this game. At least with cut characters, there is a chance they will be DLC. I doubt Sakurai is going to make a patch that increases the length of Marth's sword to a respectable length, or makes Falco not so darn stupoid.

Ghoti: Okay, lemme first of all say that I judge characters by their own merits rather than how they stack up against their older incarnations. It's a new game, people. What worked in Brawl or Melee has a very good chance of not working out here. Have Marth and Falco been nerfed and given a change in playstyle? Yes. Does that mean they are 'garbage' as you and others have been saying? Not at all. I'm sorry you don't like their playstyles now, but I guess we'll just see how other people use their new tools. I don't see them going down below upper-mid tier myself. In fact, I don't use Marth as often as I used to purely because of the lack of a C-Stick. Once I get a New 3DS, I see that situation changing. As it should, because I can't ever get over using Marth in his white costume. Something about it.... Just works. Probably the fact it reminds me of a wedding dress. I mean, who cares about getting Roy's colors as a costume, I'd be disappoint if my favorite costume in the game wasn't back. =P

Baltarc: ....You do realize that one of the first enemies shown off for Smash Run were the Kremlings, yes?

Mewtwo being back is pretty cool, but I'm not THAT hype cause I didn't really play Melee a whole lot (please don't kill me). Ridley, I just don't think can work. Making him smaller wouldn't make him nearly as intimidating. I'd think people should at least be thankful Ridley got in the game in some form still.

Can we also please stop talking about clones too? They did not steal anyone's slot. At all. All they're meant to be is Filler added in by the dev team at the last second to pad out the roster size. If you don't like them, fine, but it's either them being in or the roster being three characters smaller.

Edited by Phoenix Zero

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

I have to disagree about Marth being garbage. I've had plenty of losses in For Glory, but one of the few times I've been absolutely trashed was by a Marth. Think I got in something like two hits on him... Not that I think my own experiences are indicative of the future metagame - I kind of suck, you know - but I do believe that Marth's perceived nerfs don't [E: may not] weaken him nearly as much as people seem to believe. His playstyle may have changed, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's gotten worse. He may have, but time will tell, I guess.

I too liked Falco in Brawl, but I haven't spent much time on him in Smash 4. I could tell from the first time I played him that his taunts got hard nerfed though. 0/10 no more bread.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

My primary reason for thinking that Marth maybe isn't as absolutely terrible as a lot of people seem to think is that I believe there hasn't been enough time since the game's release for people to adjust to his alterations. The incident I mentioned was merely a bit of practical evidence to support this conclusion - one meant to be taken, as implied by the qualifier that immediately followed it, with a grain of salt. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear - and I've edited the post in an attempt to make it more so - but I do put thought into my posts, and if I write something, I generally mean it.

Also @Phoenix: Perhaps my statement about Sakurai not caring about Donkey Kong was a bit of an exaggeration, but its representation is nonetheless minimal in comparison to other series, many of them less significant. DK is, according to Wikipedia, Nintendo's fourth-highest-selling mainstream franchise (following Mario, Pokemon, and Zelda, in that order, and excluding Mario Kart and the "Wii" line of games), and has met with tremendous critical acclaim throughout the past 33 years of its existence. And yet in Smash 4 it has only two playable characters, four stages (spread out across two versions), two Smash Run enemies, two (2) items, and no (0) assist trophies. I don't feel like taking the time to list off the numbers for each of those aspects of representation for the other series present in Smash (nor do I imagine anyone would take the time to read through them all), but it's safe to say we're talking very low on the list for DK.

Edited by Baltarc

Q2TtLEz.png

Ghoti: Okay, lemme first of all say that I judge characters by their own merits rather than how they stack up against their older incarnations. It's a new game, people. What worked in Brawl or Melee has a very good chance of not working out here. Have Marth and Falco been nerfed and given a change in playstyle? Yes. Does that mean they are 'garbage' as you and others have been saying? Not at all. I'm sorry you don't like their playstyles now, but I guess we'll just see how other people use their new tools. I don't see them going down below upper-mid tier myself. In fact, I don't use Marth as often as I used to purely because of the lack of a C-Stick. Once I get a New 3DS, I see that situation changing. As it should, because I can't ever get over using Marth in his white costume. Something about it.... Just works. Probably the fact it reminds me of a wedding dress. I mean, who cares about getting Roy's colors as a costume, I'd be disappoint if my favorite costume in the game wasn't back. =P

I did intend a bit of exaggeration with my comment, but I'm not happy about Marth. Yes, he has a new playstyle, but that's bad. You can change a character but still keep their old feel intact. Marth feels like an entirely new character, despite having all the same moves, because he is now slower, stronger, and has a shorter sword. That's bad. I didn't want a slower stronger character, I wanted a quick combo character. Like Marth used to be!

I'm still maining him, but if Sakurai just patched the game and gave him a slightly longer sword, that would be more than enough to make me happy with him. But half the cast outranges him with just their arms and legs, and that's kinda pathetic. Marth was one of the last characters in need of a nerfing. I'm actually pretty shocked as to his tier position in Brawl, considering how he is such a high-risk character. You don't normally see those ranked so well :P

The lack of a c-stick really does hurt Marth a lot too, but even without that, he was nerfed pretty hard. Even some of his "buffs" work against him now. He has stronger throws, for instance, but they aren't strong enough to KO anyone even in Sudden Death, so that did little to help him, and they are now too strong to follow up with pretty much anything.

I see Marth as being the low end of mid-tier in this game. Falco strikes me as low tiered, but I haven't put much time on him yet in SSB4.

Speaking of which, just gotta get all the custom moves and Smash Run powers, and I'm done with the challenges, then another 10 random trophies, and I'm 100% done the game.

I too liked Falco in Brawl, but I haven't spent much time on him in Smash 4. I could tell from the first time I played him that his taunts got hard nerfed though. 0/10 no more bread.

Glad you agree there. The new voice actors for Fox and Falco are awful. They got the 64 actors, who were notoriously bad, as if that was a good idea. My ears actually bleed when I hear Fox say "Come on!" on in this game, compared to his epicness and authority from Brawl.

Lucario's new voice actor is also pretty poor, IMO. And while I love Sonic's new actor, he says all the wrong things!

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

Axilus: Halo is pretty popular.

That doesn't mean there have to be hordes of fans on every website. Quite frankly, a lot of us (myself included) just don't care at about the going-ons of the Halo franchise. On the other hand, a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 50 Fact Extravaganza was released, and a lot of us find THAT interesting. Sorry, but the Super Smash Bros. fans in this topic greatly outnumber Halo ones..

Of course I don't think you give a flying pig about the Smash Bros. games, so we're basically even.

Ghoti: Fans of the old playstyle Marth and Falco had are disappointed, yes. They don't work if you play them like you used to. Others can look past their differences and see just what they CAN do in this game. 

For example, sure, Marth may not be the methodoical, fleet-footed combo master anymore. But what if people played him as a methodoical, defensive opportunistic character that punishes mistakes? Likewise, Falco isn't a laser camping, chain-throwing fiend anymore. So why can't he be a ground-focused, rushdown aggressor? They aren't low tier if they don't fill in the same roles as previous games, only if they fail at their new playstyles. 

Of course, a great majority of people went RUINED FOREVAR when they saw Marth's and Falco's changes, but I'm sure there's a small sector of the fanbase who are making those two and their new attributes work. We'll just have to see what happens, but remember, this is a new game. Edgehogging's gone, chaingrabbing was scythed (a thrown character can't get grabbed again before 1 second passes), DI is now vectoring, and a bunch of the things that gave characters trouble in Brawl are no longer as prevalent (coughcoughMetaKnight). So there's that.

Edited by Phoenix Zero

Clones suck

I want Agnes Oblige to be added as a fighter

Can we also please stop talking about clones too? They did not steal anyone's slot. At all. All they're meant to be is Filler added in by the dev team at the last second to pad out the roster size. If you don't like them, fine, but it's either them being in or the roster being three characters smaller.

I'm hoping you've seen that before. Clones are lazy and not as fun as an entirely new character. But what people NEED to understand is that taking out the clones wouldn't have given those slots to any other character. Wanna know why? Making a clone doesn't take HALF the time it does to make a character from scratch. As Sakurai said in a recent Famitsu column:

There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch.

And here's a rather strange metaphor comparing clones to desserts:

This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped.​

And his closing statement:

Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result.

And that's that. In a perfect world, clones would not exist and the roster would have King K. Rool, Ridley, Issac, and about 1,000 more fan requested characters. But we live in a world of limited game development. They can only build so many new characters from scratch, but even then, clones are not added in until all the 'normal' slots are entirely filled. I look at clones as an extra from developers with just a liiiiittle bit of free time available. 

Baltarc: Late response, I know. Okay, the Donkey Kong universe isn't that represented. I think that's a good thing. Wanna know why? The Mario series and their spin-offs are HIDEOUSLY overrepresented in Smash Bros. In Smash 4, there's Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Rosalina and Luma, Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and Wario. That's 10 characters. Aka, over 1/5 of the roster. I don't like that, what with Smash Bros. supposedly being a celebration of ALL things Nintendo. Even still, it's Mario's party..... 

The only reason I've forgiven Rosalina's and Bowser Jr.'s inclusion is their differing playstyle and aesthetics from the rest of the crowd. But even if they end up mainstays of the series, I really, really, REALLY want less Mario newcomers the next time around. 

Edited by Phoenix Zero

And that wasn't my intention to force you to like them. I personally don't go "YAY CLONES ARE DUH BEST", but I understand the reasons behind their inclusion. Clones are filler. You don't have to like it, but regardless they're just there to be there. No harm done or any cut characters because of their inclusion.

Also, don't think that cutting all three clones would have freed up one slot or something. Know how Melee had six clones? Yeah, Sakurai said in that time all of them took to make, they could have developed King Dedede. Whom they already had a basic plan for. THAT my friends, is the difference in development time between creating a character from scratch and tossing together a handful of clones.

Also, I would have appreciated a more... Fleshed out response. Right now it feels like you're refusing to acknowledge the points I've made, and that worries me. You can still dislike clones, but I don't know if you understand why they exist in the first place.

Edited by Phoenix Zero

Ghoti: Fans of the old playstyle Marth and Falco had are disappointed, yes. They don't work if you play them like you used to. Others can look past their differences and see just what they CAN do in this game. 

For example, sure, Marth may not be the methodoical, fleet-footed combo master anymore. But what if people played him as a methodoical, defensive opportunistic character that punishes mistakes? Likewise, Falco isn't a laser camping, chain-throwing fiend anymore. So why can't he be a ground-focused, rushdown aggressor? They aren't low tier if they don't fill in the same roles as previous games, only if they fail at their new playstyles. 

Of course, a great majority of people went RUINED FOREVAR when they saw Marth's and Falco's changes, but I'm sure there's a small sector of the fanbase who are making those two and their new attributes work. We'll just have to see what happens, but remember, this is a new game. Edgehogging's gone, chaingrabbing was scythed (a thrown character can't get grabbed again before 1 second passes), DI is now vectoring, and a bunch of the things that gave characters trouble in Brawl are no longer as prevalent (coughcoughMetaKnight). So there's that.

Again though, that's all I'm mad about. They might as well have been dropped, since they effectively aren't here anymore. I couldn't care less about Falco as a character, since he's a jirk who is really annoying in my opinion. But I LOVED playing as him. Similarly with Marth, though I actually do like the character for who he is. If Marth doesn't play like Marth, then why is he even in the game? Why SHOULDN'T I be disappointed with him? If I wanted a character with this new playstyle, I would have been Ike. I don't though. I wanted someone who played like Marth.

In between Melee and Brawl, Marth was nerfed pretty hard IMO, but that doesn't bother me, because he came out still feeling like Marth. Combos, speed, disjointed hitbox, amazing edgeguarding, etc., all still there. The biggest difference was that it now took a degree of skill to land the tip. The changes he has been faced with now rework his character, we are both in agreement about that. If he can't combo, is slower, and has a much shorter hitbox, then HE IS NOT MARTH. Other than the character model, this is nothing like Marth.

Basically, I'm not interested in what they can do now. I wanted someone with that absolutely perfect feeling Marth used to hold. I like the character of Marth as a person, but I wouldn't be complaining if they had somehow transfered the old Marth moveset into someone else.

If I were a Ganondorf main, and they reworked him to actually resemble Ganondorf, I would be really disappointed in that, and you'd understand, right? Even if it was more representative of Ganondorf, I'd still be sad, since, in this hypothetical example, I really loved the old Ganon style. It's the same concept here. The people who look to what Marth can do now weren't mostly Marth mains, I take it. They are players who have no reason to be disappointed. Odds are, their old mains still hold up more or less the same. Even if their old mains were nerfed and are worse now, many of them still kept the same feel, the same playstyle. Marth doesn't have that luxury.

Completely independent of my disappointment is my tier opinion, which may very well be wrong, but for now, I do hold that opinion. Even if I were not a Marth main in previous games, I would hold that tier opinion for the current time, and that may well change as the metagame forms.

On the recent topic of clones, I really have  no problem with them. They take nothing away, and add something to the roster. I wish they'd gone a bit further and made Alph a clone instead of a costume! Dark Pit can be declonified in future installments, and the others are different enough that I don't mind them.

Anges would have been cool, though I have yet to play Bravely Default still :P

i love those guys in for glory that have no chance of beating you yet keep fighting you anyways. the win ratio is looking stronger every day thanks to people like you. shout out to blake, who threw his entire roster of mains against me.

They're lazy additions to fill a cast that didn't need filling.

you're just being cynical. viewing a neutral thing as a negative thing is purely cynicism and you should stop it, it's bad for your health.

Also, I would have appreciated a more... Fleshed out response. Right now it feels like you're refusing to acknowledge the points I've made, and that worries me.

he doesnt HAVE to keyboard battle you, that isn't the point of the thread. if you've got a problem with him, settle it in smash. :P

Axilus: Halo is pretty popular.

That doesn't mean there have to be hordes of fans on every website. Quite frankly, a lot of us (myself included) just don't care at about the going-ons of the Halo franchise. On the other hand, a Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 50 Fact Extravaganza was released, and a lot of us find THAT interesting. Sorry, but the Super Smash Bros. fans in this topic greatly outnumber Halo ones..

Of course I don't think you give a flying pig about the Smash Bros. games, so we're basically even.

this. plus there's a dedicated halo topic.

Edited by Archer Vonn

I'm not being cynical. It's called having a point of view. When Dr. Mario and Dark Pit are fully-fledged characters but the Koopalings and Alph are not, I'm going to call BS. I don't care if the clones did not take spots from other, more unique characters; they are still lazy filler to a cast that does not need the filling.

As far as any other unique characters I want, I have never and will never pretend that the clones took the spot of a more unique and individual fighter. I merely point out which characters I wish had made it into Smash.

I'd feel slightly better about Clones in Smash if their default specials weren't (essentially) the exact same as their counterparts, I can't imagine that taking that long at all, especially since customization is now a thing and there would have already been extra moves from the originals.

The way I see it, customization + alt characters pretty much defeat the purpose of clones, and I'd have liked it a bit better if they worked more on both those things instead of clones.

Anyways, been playing a of Bayonetta 2, it's a good deal easier than the first, but otherwise it's a fantastic game. Haven't gotten to the port of the first one yet, planning on doing that once I finish two.

I'm bein' Marth for Halloween this year again. I have the Marth haircut, so I just gotta spray it blue and put a cape on.

you're lame for reusing a hallowe'en costume. if i can't come up with a new costume every year i just don't go out.

anyways i got the brass balls trophy in bioshock (: i'm very pleased.

I'm bein' Marth for Halloween this year again. I have the Marth haircut, so I just gotta spray it blue and put a cape on.

you're lame for reusing a hallowe'en costume. if i can't come up with a new costume every year i just don't go out.

It's not lame to reuse a Halloween costume. If someone wants to go as the same thing more than once, it's obviously because they like the costume (which means it's a good one).

On the topic of Halloween, Scream Fortress this year is a little disappointing. I wish they would have altered the aesthetics of the map more drastically like they did for Ghost Fort and Eyeaduct. I'm intrigued by the "Strange Haunted" items though. They're pretty cool.

I miss having a new Halloween boss to fight though. ;__;

• Upvote 1

My costume was completely different this year. I had just put on a cape and sprayed my hair blue a few years ago. This time, I bought a new cape, cut it, used some foamier parts to create chest/shoulder armor (specifically parts of the neck frill - it was a vampire cape at first), found an old karate ghee, duct-taped the edges of it to create a metallic finish, used duct-tape to actually mount my cape in a Marth-like fashion (covered my left shoulder and part of the chest, right shoulder was completely free), found a brown belt, and colored my hair blue with some blue hair goop :P

It looked WAY better than my older Marth costume :P