Video Game General (Official)

Terminus

Zelda 1 didn't age as well as Nintendo's other big NES games, IMO, like Metroid or Super Mario Bros. Although that could just be the fact that I don't really like any of the 2D Zelda games.

I also don't get digital Wii Fit U. I'd bet a really big chunk of people who cared about Wii Fit at some point or another don't care about the new version, as those were the people who bought the Wii as a $350 exercise machine (and I know SO MANY people who did that).

And Tokyo Game Show is happening.

THAT FINAL FANTASY XV TRAILER.

Of course, I've said the same thing about any new info on that game for the past nine or so years, but still. The fact that a demo is coming in March is certainly something I'm looking forward to.

Wii was only $250 at launch :P

I really need to get around to actually getting into Final Fantasy. What would be a good place to start?

I'd say somewhere between IV-VII.

Tactics is a great subseries if Fire Emblem and strategy games are your bag.

Fire Emblem is the only strategy game I've gotten into. Tried Advanced Wars, wasn't my thing, and have a limited experience with Age of Empires.

I say it's worth seeing if someone you know has the original PSX game or the PSP remake to try out. Might not be your thing, but it's worth a look.

hElbrZ6.gif

Seeing as Final Fantasy is seeming to be talked about as of late. I'll tell you a tale of mind blowingness I received from one of the games.

So, recently I've been playing Final fantasy 6, arguably the best game in the Final Fantasy series.

As I was playing it, a new thought occurred to me.

Is Terra Branford....

A false protagonist? Now, for the record, I know that there isn't supposed a main character for FF6.  But I don't really believe that.

It is my belief that Celes Chere is the real main protagonist for the game. 

When this thought occurred to me, All the pieces came together.

She saves the party from Kefka multiple times, as the main hero would.

She reunites everyone at the moment of despair, as the main hero would.

I would say that she has more ties and hatred to the empire, particularly Gahstal, than Terra.

You have to finish the game with Celes, but you don't even need Terra for the final half.

Arguably, you could say, she has the most character development.

I also think that, if anything, Terra is more of a plot device for Celes.

And just think about it. If you didn't start off as Terra, who would you think is the main character?

I googled it shortly after and I was surprised to see that many people had similar thoughts.

Now, before you get all Terra fanboy on me, I'm not Celes bias. I like Terra an Celes equally. Shadow, Sabin and Edgar are my favorite characters, Hey one could argue Edgar Is the main character.

This is totally subjective, and I'd love to hear your opinions on my crazy theory!

Thanks if you took the time to read this!

Edited by Turaga of Ponies

Seeing as Final Fantasy is seeming to be talked about as of late. I'll tell you a tale of mind blowingness I received from one of the games.

So, recently I've been playing Final fantasy 6, arguably the best game in the Final Fantasy series.

Is Terra Branford....

A false protagonist? Now, for the record, I know that there isn't supposed a main character for FF6.  But I don't really believe that.

I would say that she has more ties and hatred to the empire, particularly Gahstal, than Terra.

You have to finish the game with Celes, but you don't even need Terra for the final half.

And just think about it. If you didn't start off as Terra, who would you think is the main character?

I googled it shortly after and I was surprised to see that many people had similar thoughts.

Now, before you get all Terra fanboy on me, I'm not Celes bias. I like Terra an Celes equally. Shadow, Sabin and Edgar are my favorite characters, Hey one could argue Edgar Is the main character.

This is totally subjective, and I'd love to hear your opinions on my crazy theory!

now i've never played ff6 so i can't dispute your points directly but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a 'protagonist' is. it really is just the person the camera follows the most. and remember that you can have multiple protagonists. you seem to be under the impression you can only have one.

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros

Is Terra Branford....

now i've never played ff6 so i can't dispute your points directly but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what a 'protagonist' is. it really is just the person the camera follows the most. and remember that you can have multiple protagonists. you seem to be under the impression you can only have one.

pro·tag·o·nist

prōˈtagənist,prō-/

noun

the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.

the main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation.

"in this colonial struggle, the main protagonists were Great Britain and France"

synonyms: chief/central/principal/main/leading character, chief/central/principal/main/leading participant, chief/central/principal/main/leading figure, chief/central/principal/main/leading player, principal, hero/heroine, leading man/lady, title role, lead

"the protagonist in the plot"

• Upvote 2

Looks like it's the end of the line for 21.

Is Terra Branford....

I guess. A show, book or film can have more than one protagonist. When reading back on this, I neglected to mention I thought she was the main protagonist.

For example, in Harry Potter, Hermione and Ron are definitely protagonists, however, Harry is the main protagonist. 

This is just my theory to who I think the main protagonist really is, there probably isn't  even one, as you said "you can have multiple protagonists".  

I'm claiming the is one main protagonist. Most people think its Terra, although a small amount of  people think it could be Celes too. 

It's also hard to say who gets the most screen time, but they probably have more or less the same. People would think that they're both the main protagonists, but they don't. I'm claiming one of them is.

But, I didn't make that clear in my post.

Edited by Turaga of Ponies

So I finally managed to get a controller+correct tv cables for my PS1, but I haven't got a memory card. What are some good games to get for it? Are there any Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts for PS1?  Also, I believe there's FF3 for NDS, is it worth getting? Also, should I bother completing Spyro the Dragon?

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

Minecraft username: furno5943

3DS Friend code: 5043 2524 8032

PS1 has FF1-2, 4-9, and Tactics. No KH, that came out PS2 era.

A couple other good PS1 JRPGS I can think of off the top of my head are Xenogears and Persona, haven't played much else on the system.

And I enjoyed FF3 on DS- worth getting if you like old-school JRPGs.

Also, make sure you have a memory card before you even start any games. Unless you don't mind restarting every time you turn on the system.

Edited by Terminus

So I finally managed to get a controller+correct tv cables for my PS1, but I haven't got a memory card. What are some good games to get for it? Are there any Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts for PS1?  Also, I believe there's FF3 for NDS, is it worth getting? Also, should I bother completing Spyro the Dragon?

FF I and II have an absolutely wonderful PSX remake as 'Final Fantasy Origins'. Well worth a buy.

Do not bother with the PSX versions of FF4-6. They're essentially just the SNES roms stuck on a disc, with a terrible load time and in FFV's case, a painfully bad translation. Look for the GBA remakes of V and VI, and the PSP or DS version of IV.

FFVII-IX are pretty good. VII is considered a milestone in the genre, VIII is contested in quality, and IX is a great throw back to the tone of the first five games.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a wonderful game that every game collection should have. It's been remade as 'Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions' on PSP and iOS, but I can't comment on the quality of it- I hear the iOS version controls terribly, though.

FF3 on DS is pretty good.

Spyro the Dragon is worth a playthrough. Pretty fun game.

Some other great games are Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Crash Bandacoot, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Xenogears, Guilty Gear, Wild Arms 1 and 2,the Megaman Legends games, Breath of Fire III and IV, and Brigande.

Edited by Elric of Melnibone

hElbrZ6.gif

Alright thanks guys, now I'll have to look for a PS1 memory card. And yeah, I'll see if they have FFI and FFII at my local carboot. Also, where I bought the controller, the guy was selling a mega drive. Should I save up for it and get it? I mean, I dont think theres enough room on the tv but...

BJvKYW4.png

P̴̡͘r̛̕a̵͟i̷͞s͢͠é̴̢̛̕ ̛͡t̴̶̨͞h͢҉̶e̢͟ ̸̢͢͠R͢é̷͏̶d̸͘͞ ̴͟͡͏͞a͞n̶̛̕̕҉d̶͠͞͞ ̶̡̧B̷̛l̀҉a҉̢́͟c̕͠k̢͠ ̶̸̡͟͢Ģ͞͝͏͝ó̕d̛͢͢͡͠.̧҉.̷̧̛͟͞.̀҉̴
̧̨̧̡

It's a lot easier to play all (or most) of these on a PS3 or Vita. I'm currently replaying Legend of Mana, a fantastic little RPG that predates the Final Fantasy series, developed by SquareSoft (Before they became SquareEnix) as well. And yeah, the Spyro series (particularly Spyro: Year of the Dragon) are really good. I'd imagine it's really hard to come by a memory card these days, which might affect your ability to play through any of those games.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS2 is also backwards-compatible with games and such.

:tohu:

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

So Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS releases next Friday. I am very excite, although unfortunately I will not be able to purchase it day one due to various circumstances. Still, I'm pretty hyped. Woohoo for it being only the third retail 3DS game that I'll own (still working on getting Fire Emblem: Awakening eventually....)

Well, there goes your chances of ever getting another Nintendo game early again. :P

Anyways, I'm going to be at my local store with some friends a little bit before they open to pick up Smash. Then we're all gonna race to see who can unlock everyone the fastest.

Also been playing a lot of Playstation All-Stars recently, mainly to get it completely out of my way before Smash. Not really enjoying it that much (why is there no life mode?!?), but it's among one of the easiest platinum trophies I've been working towards. Only have 5 runs of arcade mode left, which I wouldn't mind doing if it wasn't horribly long.

Edited by Terminus

Well, there goes your chances of ever getting another Nintendo game early again. :P

Anyways, I'm going to be at my local store with some friends a little bit before they open to pick up Smash. Then we're all gonna race to see who can unlock everyone the fastest.

Also been playing a lot of Playstation All-Stars recently, mainly to get it completely out of my way before Smash. Not really enjoying it that much (why is there no life mode?!?), but it's among one of the easiest platinum trophies I've been working towards. Only have 5 runs of arcade mode left, which I wouldn't mind doing if it wasn't horribly long.

Getting the trophies in that game was kinda tedious, and the game is so bare-bones in content when compared to SSB, but I still enjoyed it. I tried to get Platinum too, but the only trophy I failed to get was the one for not dying in an online match (which was surprisingly hard).

I finally got a smartphone after all these years, being the Galaxy S4, and I see it as a device that would have so much potential for some light gaming if it only had buttons! Looks like the only thing I'm going to be doing on it is playing turn-based RPGs with emulators, since I absolutely hate the idea of touchy buttons.

I got lucky with that trophy on my Vita copy, got into a stock match against 3 people who had just started the game, and it wasn't too difficult. Still need that trophy on my PS3 version, though.

My favorite smartphone game I've played would probably be Infinty Blade (because the touch controls actually work well), although that's only on iOS. Mostly just play quick games like Tetris, Fruit Ninja, and Temple Run on my phone now, though.

Edited by Terminus

I think I'd be more open to gaming on my android if I could pay for stuff using PayPal. I don't yet have a credit card, which means I need to go out and purchase Google Play cards (assuming whatever I want costs money, of course). I have tried a couple free to play games, but they just can't hold my attention at all.

I think I'd be more open to gaming on my android if I could pay for stuff using PayPal. I don't yet have a credit card, which means I need to go out and purchase Google Play cards (assuming whatever I want costs money, of course). I have tried a couple free to play games, but they just can't hold my attention at all.

I think Five Nights at Freddy's is free, and I personally found that game pretty cool, but it won't last you very long. I think the only game I bought so far is Minecraft for Android, and the controls suck so bad it's useless.

It's a lot easier to play all (or most) of these on a PS3 or Vita. I'm currently replaying Legend of Mana, a fantastic little RPG that predates the Final Fantasy series, developed by SquareSoft (Before they became SquareEnix) as well. And yeah, the Spyro series (particularly Spyro: Year of the Dragon) are really good. I'd imagine it's really hard to come by a memory card these days, which might affect your ability to play through any of those games.

Don't worry, I got a memory card for 50p yesterday.

Also, why are PS2 games so common but PS1 games so hard to find?

Also, I only have a PS1. :|

And I'm guessing Heroes of Mana (DS) is a sequel to Legend of Mana,

BJvKYW4.png

̧̨̧̡

I think Five Nights at Freddy's is free, and I personally found that game pretty cool, but it won't last you very long. I think the only game I bought so far is Minecraft for Android, and the controls suck so bad it's useless.

The reason I gave up on 99% of mobile gaming.

PS2 is newer, and a lot of used game stores still sell PS2 games. Plus it was only discontinued a few years ago. PS1 is pretty much ancient by today's standards, and your average used game store isn't likely to be selling any PS1 games, specialty retro stores and online stores are pretty much really the only place to get them anymore.

And Heroes of Mana is another game in the Mana franchise, not exactly a sequel. Sort of like how the numbered Final Fantasy games aren't sequels.

Because the PS2 is one of the highest-selling consoles of all time, and games only stopped production in 2013 or 2012. Means there are plenty of games still out there because of it, while the PSX has been a dead format for about ten years now.

hElbrZ6.gif

I was able to play games on iPad using a ps3 controller. When you have a physical controller, it works out quite well.

At that point, I'd just play on a console or PC emulator, because I'm not bringing a controller in my pocket with me everywhere! :P

I was hoping to use my phone as a mobile emulator. Guess I'll just have to wait for Smealun to release the 3DS Homebrew Channel for that.

If you can, you should buy yourself a PS2. They're dirt cheap and they would possibly last you quite a long time. Either that or a second-hand PS3. 

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I really don't get why some people would torture themselves by keeping obsolete consoles and such, and getting frustrated with them like it's uncommon to experience problems with such dinosaurs. 

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

If you can, you should buy yourself a PS2. They're dirt cheap and they would possibly last you quite a long time. Either that or a second-hand PS3. 

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I really don't get why some people would torture themselves by keeping obsolete consoles and such, and getting frustrated with them like it's uncommon to experience problems with such dinosaurs. 

I've had way more problems with new consoles than old ones, personally. All my old ones work flawlessly and never have any issues. My Wii, PS3, and 3DS have all had issues, as had my PC, and even my Wii U had a few slight issues. Everything older has not bothered me at all.

The main reason to keep around most consoles is the feel of it, plus issues with emulation. There's nothing quite like booting up my NES, or playing Power Stone with friends on my Dreamcast. In some cases, like the Saturn and N64, emulation is so bad it isn't even worth trying.

Also as Ghoti pointed out, older consoles tend to last longer. I've only really had the pin connector issue with the NES, and none of my other systems have ever had a problem.

hElbrZ6.gif

There is something about the new Smash Bros. that I need to get off my chest.

All this hate for Dark Pit makes me want to make him one of my mains. =P I kean, I get he's a clone, which is a missed opportunity in it of itself, but when you come down to it, Dark Pit didn't 'take' anyone's slot. That's not how it works, really. And he was one of my favorite KI:U characters, so it's cool for me to see him in the game regardless.

Haven't seen one of these in a long time...

I'm much more disappointed about Dr. Mario returning over Lucas or Mewtwo or Wolf. Dr. Mario was the worst idea for a character they ever actually went through with.

Pittoo is pretty cool. He shouldn't be a clone, since he has so much unique potential, but I'll live with it. Everyone who was a clone in Melee was declonified in Brawl, and if Pittoo returns in a hypothetical SSB5, they may do the same to him.

I'd personally prefer Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as alt characters (i.e. Alph & the Koopalings), although that's probably because there are so few alts that I'd like a few more (you know, like maybe a Fox alt for Wolf, or a Daisy alt for Peach).

Personally, I'd think releasing alt characters as DLC would be a great idea on Nintendo's part, that way they'd "increase" the roster while not affecting the game's balance at all, and maybe add in some characters fans want.

I'd personally prefer Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as alt characters (i.e. Alph & the Koopalings), although that's probably because there are so few alts that I'd like a few more (you know, like maybe a Fox alt for Wolf, or a Daisy alt for Peach).

Personally, I'd think releasing alt characters as DLC would be a great idea on Nintendo's part, that way they'd "increase" the roster while not affecting the game's balance at all, and maybe add in some characters fans want.

Dr. Mario would be a great alt. Pittoo can stay alone because he has potential as a character, but I get where you are coming from. Lucina, while still a clone, is going to play completely different from Marth without that sweetspot.

If they don't do DLC, I will be pretty annoyed. It's just too perfect. And you say it won't affect the game's balance like Smash Bros. has any actual balance. Sakurai is trying, but he really doesn't get competitive play! :P

Edited by Ghabulous Ghoti

i heard sakurai mains ganondorf hahaha

DLC won't necessarily hurt gameplay if it's all cosmetic. that's how they do DLC in street fighter. it's all just alt costumes and such. most of them are usually worse. they could do the same thing in smash, just add in like a lucina skin for marth instead of a new character.

Edited by Archer Vonn

3DS: 3711-9364-3152

PSN:          AidecVoros