The Akiri of Mata-Nui

They

Hello BZPower, and especially the RPG community! As a bit of an end of 2013 present I did a group character line-up of the Akiri from the 2013 arc. As always, critique and comments are most appreciated.

LINK TO IMAGE

Looking forward to seeing you all next year!

~Kughii

The first thing that caught my eye was Hahli and Jaller (I still like them as a couple, kudos for appealing to that) and then I saw Matoro, just the perfect contrast :P

Hewkii looks... too brown? My mental image tends to prefer the tan/orange combination that his actual sets had. However, you captured the whole "athlete" thing he has going there, so still pretty nice.

Nuparu's expression is just golden.

Kongu looks waaay too dignified for a Le-Matoran, and his mask... sorry, no dice.

Overall, really nice work.

Edited by Dr. O

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

I made Nuparu's legs really skinny in comparison to the others after thinking about underground creatures. He's got that upper body and hunched look, and the gangly legs with reversed proportions seemed to draw a bit of comedy out of the picture. I get where you're coming from though, he really is super skinny!. In later edits I'll most likely change that.

Dr. O: I wish I could get that gorgeous burnt brown color, but I just don't have the pencils for it. For now I'm making due with my collection. I think I can whip something up in markers though, so I'll go give that a try! As for Kongu's expression: I gave up to be honest. I spent an insane amount of time working on a comedic feeling Miru, but it just never really pulled through. It's a personal goal to do it right now...

Ghosthands: HAHAHA. Maybe? That's a funny idea actually, but not my original concept. At first I had Nuparu controlling an RC ussal crab, like those Manas sets from way back when (very meta). When I went to ink though I decided to Abettor RC was so much more gear-head friendly. For Kongu's tattoos I spent about an hour researching traditional Chieftain tattoos for Maori tribespeople, then just went to work doing my own thing.

Thanks everyone for the great comments and feedback!

Edited by Kughii

I like the Jaller/Hahli coupling. Hewkii looks good, Matoro, while dead, has the correct proportions.

Kongu's mask is the only visible flaw. It's... weird. But I guess his mask's shape is just wonky from the beginning, so it might have been tough to reproduce the sable.

I agree with Geardirector that Nuparu looks skinny, but that's acceptable for an inventor type person.

Overall, well done Kughii. I look forward to seeing more artwork from you. :)

Edited by Norik Of Gielinor

This is an interesting piece of work, and is this usually your art style? I like it, especially how you portrayed the characters, but only if you added value (shadows and highlights) it would have made a wonderful touch on the piece. Overall, well done.

P.S. Also, lol it is nice to see another SAO fan, did you see the extra edition episode yet? I guess I'll catch ya around!

-Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

This is actually a more "cartoonish" style of art. For comparison, take a look at my other posts in the art topic such as Syvra, The Angler, Ishi Polzin, or Iraira. Some range into more human complexions, others push for that more robotic look. Shading eluded me this time around, but I'm thinking of taking a second shot at it digitally.

P.S.: Of course I saw Extended Edition. :P Looking forward to SAO: Phantom Bullet too. Of course, reading the light novels in Japanese gives away most of the future plots. XD

This is actually a more "cartoonish" style of art. For comparison, take a look at my other posts in the art topic such as Syvra, The Angler, Ishi Polzin, or Iraira. Some range into more human complexions, others push for that more robotic look. Shading eluded me this time around, but I'm thinking of taking a second shot at it digitally.

P.S.: Of course I saw Extended Edition. :P Looking forward to SAO: Phantom Bullet too. Of course, reading the light novels in Japanese gives away most of the future plots. XD

Excellent, if it is "cartoonish," cel shading will come in handy :D. Oh yeah, Cel shading is also known as toon shading and it is seen in both manga and marvel/DC comics. This would be excellent to go with your artworks, and very helpful when you start digitally! Oh, it looks like you said you are staring digital? I can't wait to see that, and maybe the cel shading will come in handy :P!

P.S. Oh yes, that's what happens when you read the light novels, hahaha! Lots and lots of spoilers, especially with the new anime that came out 2013: Shingeki no Kyojin or known as Attack on Titan. lol gotta keep up to date with my Japanese media hehehe!

-Lehvorak

<< LEHVORAK ZONE >>

Web Design - Graphic Design - Illustration

Find out more on:

_

DeviantART_logo.png

Yeah, I know about cel shading. I just don't do it well by hand. In fact, it looks terrible when I do it by hand. XD I usually try to stick to traditional shading techniques for pencil sketching. Once I get acclimated to the little finicky tablet I have maybe I'll try my hand at some cel. :)