Nuva Adaptive

So I was wondering. During the Karda Nui saga, we don't see the Nuva swap masks for whatever reason. Are the Nuvas other kanohi Nuva adaptive? Im not sure but it seems like they were only given one adaptive kanohi.

Also, since their On Spherus Magna now would the adaptive armor revert them to a look similar to their 2002 appearance?

Karda Nui's shields block (most) teleportation, including of masks from Suva. So, they were unable to switch masks.

I'm actually not sure off the top of my head if they were given adaptive masks, or if the armor is one thing that somehow covers all of them and adapts their normal masks. It seems like a surface-only shapeshifting power, so it may be that those are their normal Nuva masks, but I might be wrong. I skimmed over that part in reviewing for my retelling as it happens offscreen in my story.

Hard to say what the adaptive armor would do now. You're probably right that it would resemble their original Nuva form (though I think of that as 03, but technically 02 :P), but probably not exactly.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I thought they had adaptive masks that went over their other masks, thereby allowing them to switch "underneath" the adaptive mask. Could be wrong though.

Tahu's extra armor in Stars form was confirmed to be the adaptive armor's default mode. So they look like their 02/03 forms, but maybe with a little extra armor in places.

I skimmed over the last chapter of Downfall and its says that the Nuva were given 'masks and armor.' I took this to mean that the Nuva removed their old armor and masks for the new ones. That was always my assumption.

Tahu's extra armor in Stars form was confirmed to be the adaptive armor's default mode. So they look like their 02/03 forms, but maybe with a little extra armor in places.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Edited by Toa Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Plus, Tahu lost his other Nuva masks when Ta-Koro sank, so it might have been decided that the others would have a leveled playing field too. With the mask sharing taking focus and the actual collection of Kanohi Nuva never being much more than a footnote in-story, I sometimes forget that the Nuva even had other masks in their Suva. :P Switching to Adaptive Kanohi Nuva would then be a direct upgrade, if "switching masks" was no longer a concern.

Edited by Katuko

Pupwa, that's correct. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I always thought that the armor would adapt to a new form to take advantage of their new environment.

That's correct. That why I asked the question, the armor adapted then for a swamp environment and air environment. But SM is pretty much mata nui.

Yeah this always confused me. It would make sense that they would have changed back, but there's no reference anywhere that they ever did.

I also got really confused when I first saw the Phantoka flying in the comics with their adaptive armor. the first thing I thought was, "doesn't this make Lewa's mask sort of obsolete?"

20795.jpg

I also got really confused when I first saw the Phantoka flying in the comics with their adaptive armor. the first thing I thought was, "doesn't this make Lewa's mask sort of obsolete?"

Actually, it doesn't. Lewa's mask allows him to hover in the air, but the twin rocket booster jets on his back don't. The mask is actually more helpful in this situation.

Edited by fishers64

Actually, it doesn't. Lewa's mask allows him to hover in the air, but the twin rocket booster jets on his back don't. The mask is actually more helpful in this situation.

You sure about the rockets? Everybody else's seems to able to. Maybe not as easily though.

Anyways, JL, if you have a team of people going somewhere and they all need to fly, and one guy naturally can fly (of course, this analogy doesn't work in the real world :)), do you think the others are going to decline obtaining a method of flight simply because "it's unfair to our flying guy because he's no longer special"? Of course not. Even if it gave him no advantage that would not make sense.

It might make him choose a different mask power, but if you need to fly in this place (and especially if Mr. Flight can share that power with others), then absolutely it makes sense to have a backup. It's kind of like parachutes in a plane. The plane does not make gliding methods (which came before powered aircraft in human invention chronology) obsolete, it makes them into backups.

You sure about the rockets? Everybody else's seems to able to. Maybe not as easily though.

Not sure, but, you know, they're rockets.

At least, if the rockets are on his back, it's an obvious target for enemies to smash, hit, destroy, etc. The mask on his face would prevent him from plunging out of the sky and clocking his head on a rock/getting mutated into a nasty looking monster. It has utility.

At least, if the rockets are on his back, it's an obvious target for enemies to smash, hit, destroy, etc. The mask on his face would prevent him from plunging out of the sky and clocking his head on a rock/getting mutated into a nasty looking monster. It has utility.

His face is also an obvious target for his enemies to smash. :lol:

True, heh. But it's much easier to, for example, swing your arms up to protect your face. Besides the whole, that's the direction you see in, versus a "backstabbing" (back-rocket-smashing, I guess) thing.

I suppose it can easily be argued that neither works very well in the case of an ambush, but I agree that at least the Miru allows you to recover so long as you are still conscious and not completely numbed. In terms of useless Kanohi, Gali's mask was the most useless in Karda Nui; because they could not afford to take a dive in the swamp water, and the ability to choke enemies via forced sharing never came up outside of Greg PMs as far as I remember.

Edited by Katuko

True, heh. But it's much easier to, for example, swing your arms up to protect your face. Besides the whole, that's the direction you see in, versus a "backstabbing" (back-rocket-smashing, I guess) thing.

Also, if your mask is smashed or knocked off in flight it's pretty bad anyway, regardless of what mask it is. The mental disorientation would probably crash you anyway, if you weren't knocked out by the impact itself.