What happened to Vezon?

Just re-read Vezon's article on BS01, couldn't stop laughing. But I want to know what happened to him last, did he die? did he go live in a cottage somewhere?

I'd love to hear what everyone has to say.

• Upvote 2

hTeXGIU.png

Also, if you're a resident of the UK and like Bionicle, go ahead and join

us at this awesome Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BFUK7/

He's where he was where the story left off in Reign of Shadows. In the fortress imprisoning the Great Being who tried to touch the Mask of Life, along with Helryx, Tuyet, Axonn, Brutaka, Artahka, Kapura, Hafu, and Miserix. (I know there is a typo in there somewhere.)

As Greg would put: nothing has happened to him because the story is basically frozen.

And yeah Vezon's life is pretty funny.

Edited by JAG18

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

He's where he was where the story left off in Reign of Shadows. In the fortress imprisoning the Great Being who tried to touch the Mask of Life, along with Helryx, Tuyet, Axonn, Brutaka, Arthaka, Kapura, Hafu, and Miserix. (I know there is a typo in there somewhere.)

As Greg would put: nothing has happened to him because the story is basically frozen.

Actually, that Great Being did touch the Mask of Life, and the mask gave him the ability to turn everything he touches to life. Except he can't control the ability and it's driving him nuts. (He claims to know about "living beams of light"...weird.)

Also Velika was trying to destroy the fortress using a bomb. I wonder what a living explosion would be like.

Further, Vezon's Kanohi was "switched off" by this GB, so he might not be able to go on any more interdimensional adventures. How the GB managed to do that remains unknown.

• Upvote 2

He's where he was where the story left off in Reign of Shadows. In the fortress imprisoning the Great Being who tried to touch the Mask of Life, along with Helryx, Tuyet, Axonn, Brutaka, Arthaka, Kapura, Hafu, and Miserix. (I know there is a typo in there somewhere.)

Actually, that Great Being did touch the Mask of Life, and the mask gave him the ability to turn everything he touches to life. Except he can't control the ability and it's driving him nuts. (He claims to know about "living beams of light"...weird.)

Also Velika was trying to destroy the fortress using a bomb. I wonder what a living explosion would be like.

Further, Vezon's Kanohi was "switched off" by this GB, so he might not be able to go on any more interdimensional adventures. How the GB managed to do that remains unknown.

Sorry, I was just trying to sum up who lifer was, but I forgot that part about him.

I sort of though about mentioning that, but I forgot in the haste to figure out how to spell all those names. However, cool idea "living explosion" is.

He's a Great Being, so I'm sure he did it in a way our puny "lesser being" minds couldn't hope to understand.

Thank you for all the corrections. I was just hoping that for once I had actually answered a S&T topic right.

Keep in mind, Vezon used his Olmak to save the rest of the group from outer space, so it would appear that the GB switched it back on. After all, Vezon was in an alternate universe when it was initially switched off, so presumably it was unlocked since then. :P

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Keep in mind, Vezon used his Olmak to save the rest of the group from outer space, so it would appear that the GB switched it back on. After all, Vezon was in an alternate universe when it was initially switched off, so presumably it was unlocked since then. :P

The insane GB could have switched it off again, though. He wanted to hold Vezon hostage on condition of his freedom.

The time frame between Vezon saving Helryx's group and the point where the story froze couldn't have been more than a minute and a half or two minutes, and the Great Being's attention was pretty held up by observing his creations. I doubt he had time to switch it off again.

Personally, I never liked Vezon much anyway. He was a cool villain for the 2006 arc but rapidly just degenerated into a cheap attempt at a Deadpool-esque character that Greg was too fond to get rid of. No matter how ridiculous he ended up becoming by the end.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

The time frame between Vezon saving Helryx's group and the point where the story froze couldn't have been more than a minute and a half or two minutes, and the Great Being's attention was pretty held up by observing his creations. I doubt he had time to switch it off again.

It would likely be a natural reflex for the GB to shut off the power again, if he felt the need to do so; the same way someone driving stick-shift will reflexively downshift when they brake and feel the engine protest. It's an action that is somewhat complex - press pedal, move stick, release pedal; repeat until you reach the gear you need - but an experienced driver will do it automatically whenever needed. The GB could be mostly focused on his new guests, while he simultaneously goes through the motions needed to shut off the Olmak, thinking nothing more of it than we do when turning off the water after we're done washing our hands.

But the fact that he was ridiculous is what made him good. Some of the stuff he says is outrageously funny.

Well, it's really just a matter of taste. Some found everything Vezon said to be hilarious, while others found it a forced attempt at humor. Me, I'm on the fence. I liked some jokes, didn't like the others.

But the fact that he was ridiculous is what made him good. Some of the stuff he says is outrageously funny.

Well, it's really just a matter of taste. Some found everything Vezon said to be hilarious, while others found it a forced attempt at humor. Me, I'm on the fence. I liked some jokes, didn't like the others.

"Why did we bring him again?"
"He breaks up the monotony."
Well, most of what he said didn't leave me rotflol, but I still chuckle at some of his better ones. However, your right about this being a matter of taste.

I agree completely with this. He had his moments, while other times he was annoying.

The GB probably did switch the Olmak back off (or "will", if the story were to continue) to make sure Vezon doesn't flee. Then again, been a while since I reviewed that part so add a pinch of salt.

I agree that Vezon was largely pretty well done in 2006, but sometimes Greg went overboard with the "he's here to be funny" stuff. I have tried to avoid Vezon after his 2006 featuring in my retelling (nothing against those with the taste to like that, but if they want that, the canon has probably already done enough of it). In 2006 the things he said had great character value, but later on they seemed sometimes to become just comic relief. Many of his jokes originally could come across as frightening because he was seriously dangerous there. His later inclusions largely lost that, and he became a protagonist far more often than an antagonist (nothing against that either but it probably has a lot to do with why the jokes don't feel as meaningful to some of us).

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

*Artakha

Personally, I feel like Vezon's devolution from legitimate threat to comic relief made sense. After all, after 2006, he didn't have any powers ("I don't? Where was I when they were being handed out?"). Even fused with the Olmak, the randomized nature of his direction-hopping was too uncontrollable for him to focus it into anything constructive (or destructive). His narcissistic, childlike ramblings might be a coping mechanism for his sudden lack of power. Factor in that he's less than a year old canonically.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

I have tried to avoid Vezon after his 2006 featuring in my retelling

I thought he was still funny in Federation of Fear, and I do hope you left him in that (assuming you have something akin to FoF), because the character chemistry there has some great potential.

I didn't end up having space to cover the actual FoF events, though I do let the reader know briefly that they're about to embark on the adventure. Vezon is mentioned there if I recall that right but only a mention. I couldn't get that detailed or this would probably take a decade more to write (plus those events are already written of course). I probably will involve him more in my extended Paracosmos stories whenever I get around to that story year, unsure. Anywhen...

MI, I agree it made sense, so there's that. I think part of the problem was the usual point about how later on in the story we suddenly seemed to need constant updates as to everything everybody was doing after their main story role, even though we hadn't known all that before that time. Vezon seemed to me to be one of the main examples of that. Which is fine to do but it became hard to keep up with and made the later story years feel unfocused to an extent.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Is the whole "Vezon plus Tridax" thing that bugs people? His sudden appearance on Destral near the end was pure comic relief stuff that almost could have been cut.

For some reason I never really had a problem with Vezon one way or another. Some of his stuff I actually found funny, some not, but I didn't think his 2006 appearance was inconsistent with his later showings. The 2006 one might have been slightly more creepy, not sure.

MI, I agree it made sense, so there's that. I think part of the problem was the usual point about how later on in the story we suddenly seemed to need constant updates as to everything everybody was doing after their main story role, even though we hadn't known all that before that time. Vezon seemed to me to be one of the main examples of that. Which is fine to do but it became hard to keep up with and made the later story years feel unfocused to an extent.

Personally, I greatly appreciated the check-ups to old characters like Vezon, Keetongu, and Krahka. I liked BIONICLE as an anthology-type story with several different, complex plots running simultaneously and affecting each other. Legacy of Evil was when BIONICLE got really dependent of backstories, which I personally loved, but did make it harder for others to join the fandom. I can see why other would prefer a more focused story, though.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Personally, I greatly appreciated the check-ups to old characters like Vezon, Keetongu, and Krahka. I liked BIONICLE as an anthology-type story with several different, complex plots running simultaneously and affecting each other. Legacy of Evil was when BIONICLE got really dependent of backstories, which I personally loved, but did make it harder for others to join the fandom. I can see why other would prefer a more focused story, though.

Well, I've recently hypothesized that the main BIONICLE story was focused and told through the comics and movies. While the serials and other Greg stuff were mostly side-stories to keep up with past characters. I like your idea that BIONICLE is an anthology-type story; that's good.

I guess their was a lot to like with both approaches.

Well, I've recently hypothesized that the main BIONICLE story was focused and told through the comics and movies. While the serials and other Greg stuff were mostly side-stories to keep up with past characters. I like your idea that BIONICLE is an anthology-type story; that's good.

I guess their was a lot to like with both approaches.

Yeah, I really notice some distinctive "eras" of BIONICLE's use of backstories and Expanded Universe.

2001-2005: Minimal use of an EU. The Metru Nui backstory doesn't count because it was presented largely as its own present story. Characters like Sidorak had backstories (led the Visorak Horde on other islands, forcing Rahi to migrate to Metru Nui), but they weren't very in-depth.

2006-2007: Character backstories (such as the Piraka) became more important to the main story. Interestingly, Lesovikk and Karzahni got sets, and they never appeared in the main story at all. I admit, I went into 2007's story having not read Dark Destiny, so I was at a bit of a loss as to who Karzahni was and what he was doing.

2008-2010: BIONICLE effectively has two distinct stories: the main story and the side story. LEGO obviously tried keeping the side story out of the main story, as to not confuse newcomers, but their attempt to reboot BIONICLE in 2009 failed anyway. Despite the side story being maintained to keep older fans invested, many old fans didn't buy the sets because they were only invested in the side story about the older characters, while the rebooted Bara Magna storyline didn't generate enough/any new fans to replace them.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

I have a hard time calling Bara Magna a true reboot because Bionicle fans have always had a skewed sense of time when it comes to the story - the "reboot" was more of a one-year experiment than it was a true reboot. If it had been a full reboot, we may have seen maybe at least a proper 2010 set lineup. Would it have alienated a lot of the older fans? Sure. Would it maybe have had a greater chance for success? Sure.

Bara Magna - and Bionicle in general, I think - suffered largely because at that point the line had really become set on catering to the same generation of people who had grown up with it, with bigger and more complicated builds (see: the Karda Nui vehicles, Skopio, etc) taking the place of what had drawn people into the line in the first place. It's a real bummer, but ultimately it could be seen coming from a mile away.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

I have a hard time calling Bara Magna a true reboot because Bionicle fans have always had a skewed sense of time when it comes to the story - the "reboot" was more of a one-year experiment than it was a true reboot. If it had been a full reboot, we may have seen maybe at least a proper 2010 set lineup. Would it have alienated a lot of the older fans? Sure. Would it maybe have had a greater chance for success? Sure.

Bara Magna - and Bionicle in general, I think - suffered largely because at that point the line had really become set on catering to the same generation of people who had grown up with it, with bigger and more complicated builds (see: the Karda Nui vehicles, Skopio, etc) taking the place of what had drawn people into the line in the first place. It's a real bummer, but ultimately it could be seen coming from a mile away.

-Tyler

I feel like 2009 and 2010 were a legitimate reboot, capable of being viewed/read without 2001-08. A few points:

1) In TLR, it's concisely established who Makuta is (but not his name), so it's not very surprising when he comes after Mata Nui in 2010.

2) The concept of "Toa" and elemental powers are slowly revealed in TLR, so Tahu and Takanuva don't take the newcomer by surprise.

3) The Great Beings are treated like aspects of Bara Magna and not the Matoran Universe, which is fitting, because we knew next to nothing about them until 2010 anyway.

That being said, there are some flaws:

1) Without knowing how the Rahkshi are just suits of armor carrying Kraata, and also what a Kraata is in relation to Makuta, the Golden Armor comes off as a deux ex machina. (But even so, the newcomer isn't confused as to what's happening; the armor defeats the Rahkshi.)

2. Nektann and the Skakdi are introduced a little awkwardly.

"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg