Sapience in the MU: A Gift from Velika?

Q) What if it was Velika who gave them their sentience? Would Velika want to mess with the system created by the other GBs? I might make sense, considering that they're at odds...

A) Oh, the Velika theory is REALLY interesting, Firox ... heck, we could talk for days on that one.

Page 203 Post 12

Q) …why would Velika want to mess up the system created by his fellow GBs?

A) Well, we know he already disliked his fellow GBs at this point ...

Page 206 Post 4

Q) Also - did Velika actually help build the Great Spirit Robot?

A) Yes, he was involved in the building of the robot. And I do think he had an eye on messing up the GB's plan.

Page 206 Post 14

Q) How did the robot fit into Velika's plans? Did he want to take it over?

A) No, Velika did not intend to take over Mata Nui. I do not see him trying to sabotage the plan to reform Spherus Magna, because what he was angry about was that the GBs let the planet get wrecked in the first place.

Page 209 Post 3

That is about all the evidence for this theory (more or less :P). Please consider viewing the posts in their full context. I included the last quote because it was suggested that Velika might have given the MUians their sapience just so that he wouldn't be the ruler of sentient automatons. An idea that was dismissed by Greg.

So, what do y'all think?

Edited by JAG18
  • Upvote 3

cheesebanner.jpg.4e180047b2ca502f2c43489af7b439da.jpg

It's a theory that has been presented before, but obviously without this new evidence. I think it's very likely.

I suspect he felt fully sapient pawns would be better than nanotech. He can hide his hand in using them to his advantage better that way, than if it was clear somebody was programming them to help him.

Of course, it could still be that he didn't cause it but recognized the benefits.

• Upvote 2

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

It's a theory that has been presented before, but obviously without this new evidence. I think it's very likely.

I suspect he felt fully sapient pawns would be better than nanotech. He can hide his hand in using them to his advantage better that way, than if it was clear somebody was programming them to help him.

Of course, it could still be that he didn't cause it but recognized the benefits.

I personally don't see enough evidence to call it "definite", however I agree with you that it's very likely that he made them sapient (for whatever reason)

That is a very interesting point. If he made them directly help him, someone might think something fishy's up, but if they had minds of their own than it would be a great cover.

Sure.

It is very likely. And that could explain why he seemed to care about them at some point (like for the Voya-toran).

"I feel far far away from everything I've ever known, but when I look back, I think of you"
LewaKini.png
Credits to Eeko for the banner. Lewa is awesome.

I think it's likely. Though, that leads me to wonder... why did he not warn the other matoran about the Piraka? I mean, as a great being, he would have obviously known that they weren't Toa, (I mean, if he helped create those beings, I'm sure he could tell the difference between a Skakdi and a Toa, right?) Unless he really didn't care, and just went along with the resistance just for the sake of keeping his identity a secret.

Animation_Mangaia.png.e38a5644c8a08bfd4c488514025b5017.png

Formerly Iron_Man5

I like this theory simply because it makes Velika out to be less of a murderous villain, and more of just an anti Hero.

Because of this he may not be a threat to toa or matoran, and just a threat to any powers who may end up potentially harming spherus magna again.

This would mean that the only reason he wants charia, zaria, and orde gone is because they are finding the GBs. Not because of any hatred toward them.

• Upvote 1

Unless he really didn't care, and just went along with the resistance just for the sake of keeping his identity a secret.

Q) Also, did Velika believe in the Voya Nui Resistance Team cause wholeheartedly?

A) And no, I doubt he believed that strongly in the resistance team, they were a means to an end.

Page 171 Post 11

And Omega12, were still talking about someone who doesn't care if he kills a couple of innocent Matoran, a fellow GB, and Vezon, in a bombing intended to kill several beings on his hit list. And of course someone who still has every intention of ruling Spherus Magna with "a firm hand".

I'm not sure if he has hatred towards anyone except maybe the other GBs; the murders he's committed so far seem to have been done for strictly "business" reasons (the business of world domination that is :P).

Speaking for myself, I've taken a liking to calling Velika, a nasty little villain. Anti-Hero has never crossed my mind.

Personally, I think the mad GB and Vezon might well have been some of the beings on his hit list. Hafu and Kapura are the only "unavoidable casualties" in Velika's bombing, unless he considers Kapura's mystical teleportation thing to be a threat to his new world order.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

I think it's likely. Though, that leads me to wonder... why did he not warn the other matoran about the Piraka? I mean, as a great being, he would have obviously known that they weren't Toa, (I mean, if he helped create those beings, I'm sure he could tell the difference between a Skakdi and a Toa, right?) Unless he really didn't care, and just went along with the resistance just for the sake of keeping his identity a secret.

He couldn't blow his cover even if he wanted to. Too risky, IMO.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'm not sure if he has hatred towards anyone except maybe the other GBs; the murders he's committed so far seem to have been done for strictly "business" reasons (the business of world domination that is :P).

Speaking for myself, I've taken a liking to calling Velika, a nasty little villain. Anti-Hero has never crossed my mind.

Remember, it's not murder. It's killing. He's the creator, really he can do what he wants with his creations.

Remember, it's not murder. It's killing. He's the creator, really he can do what he wants with his creations.

I'll admit that if it were a human destroying an automaton that logic could work, but not with Velika, since his creations are living, breathing, people (Well, not human people, but you know what I mean. :P).

If the destruction of (intelligent? Sapient?) life isn't murder than I'm not sure what is.

• Upvote 1

After all, Angonce would certainly consider the destruction of MU inhabitants to be murder.

In fact, that begs the question -- did Greg intend for TYQ Toa to find and ally with Angonce? Was he going to be the "Big Good" to Velika's "Big Bad"? Perhaps he was going to be part of the good+evil+GB alliance to save the world.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

When I heard that a Great Being would be needed to help bring down Velika, I immediately thought "Lifey" (GB who touched the Mask of Life), I'm mean he was already introduced and with some of our heroes. Sure he's chained up, but I thought it would be interesting seeing how Greg would get him out of his prison. Angonce, I suppose, would work just as fine.

Yes, "Lifey" was my first thought as well. But I'm not sure exactly what his agenda would be. Perhaps he would find out about Velika's attempt to kill him and agree to take him down... or perhaps he'd just go on a rampage trying to get his curse lifted. We really don't know anything about the guy, other than "he's got a nasty curse" and he's allegedly "quite insane".

However, we do know how Angonce views the situation, and it seems he would be aghast to learn of Velika's schemes. Stopping Velika would likely be his main goal, if he deigned to arrive on the planet. Indeed, it seems to me that Angonce has been set up almost like "Mata Nui, Mark II" -- he's a benevolent creator who cares for his subjects, unlike every other GB we've seen. (Besides Heremus, whom we know next to nothing about.)

-- Harlan Ellison

It could be possible that "Lifey" was being set up as the "unlikely hero" who wants to set things right. Of course, you right about how uncertain his character is; pretty impossible to tell who he is just yet.

Hmm, I agree with you that Angonce appears to be a much better choice for "GB who would ride in and save the day".