PowerMiner

I'm speculative as to whether I'll watch the Legend of Korra, but the first show was great. It seems childish at first, and I suppose its primary audience is children, but it deals with surprisingly mature topics. The story is epic and I really did find my self entrapped in the world. I really enjoyed it. I never saw the movie, but I'm going to assume that's a good thing.

The Movie condensed most of the total series into 1 2 hour movie. The pronounced Aang, and the word Avatar, wrong (UNG, UH-vuh-TAR)The series was great, and cant wait for the sequal(because, you know, Noone wants that with Bionicle EVEN though they did it with Stargate and Star Trek)

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

Avatar: the Last Airbender is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. The first season, despite being somewhat more simplistic, was still good; but it was in its second and third seasons (and especially the twist ending to the second season) when the show became awesome.One of my favorite things about the series was how it treated the villainy -- they weren't just people to shoot at Aang, Katara, and Sokka; they were well-rounded characters of their own. Zuko has to be one of the best TV show characters I've ever watched. He's so well-rounded, with so many troubles to contend with (like his own sister and father) and the conflicts taking place within his mind. Azula is great to watch, too, of course.Whereas the TV series was brilliant, the movie? -- not so much. It tried to compress an entire season into an hour-and-a-half-long film, so there were plenty of compression issues, and M. Night Shymalan tried to add his own little twists on things (no, Mr. Shymalan, an earthbender prison where there's earth in no short supply is not something the Fire Nation would do). Also, the fight scene camera work was sloppy, and the casting was rather messed up -- the actor for Katara didn't look anything like her anime counterpart, though admittedly the actor for Aang wasn't bad.

I'm speculative as to whether I'll watch the Legend of Korra, but the first show was great. It seems childish at first, and I suppose its primary audience is children, but it deals with surprisingly mature topics. The story is epic and I really did find my self entrapped in the world. I really enjoyed it. I never saw the movie, but I'm going to assume that's a good thing.

Yeah, about the same here. For a show that seemed childish (I can't remember one time skin was broken in it) it was mature, and the characters were pretty well developed. Plus, there's elemental powers-what's not to like? There are some bad spots in the show, however. I'll discuss a few major ones which I have. In my mind, the first worst thing about A: tLA was its music-I can't really remember any of its pieces playing except the main theme and The Last Agni Kai. The second worst thing, IMHO, is that Zutara was made to be highly viable and could've easily happened in-story despite the fact that Aang was supposed to get Katara at the end ever since he was created. Now, I'm no Kataang fan, and I honestly prefer Zutara. However, although a rivalry between two shippings is a good way to create tension and excitement and keep people hooked on the story the thing is that Kataang simply didn't have half as many moments, or what could be easily seen as moments, as Zutara did. In fact, for most of the series, the shipping was entirely one sided for Kataang, as opposed to Zutara being totally mutual (ex: the hug at the end of The Southern Raiders). And let's face it: Maiko was pretty much the same. There were more memorable moments for Zutara than Maiko in Season 1. If that doesn't show how good a ship that culminates in Season 3 is to be, I don't know what does. To be quite frank, Zutara just had more going for it than Kataang does for most of the series. And while I'll admit I'm pro-Zutara, as well as being a hater of Aang's character, I feel Mike and Brian seriously messed up there any way you look at it. I don't want to start a shipping war on-topic, however, so if you want to debate this argument with me, or any of the other ones here, please take it to PM. Speaking of being a hater of Aang's character, does anyone else feel like for all Aang's being the hero, he never really changes throughout the story? Look at the lion turtle incident, for example. At first he goes 'ZOMG WUT WILL I DO I CAN'T KILL DE FIRE LORD! !!!!111'...And then the lion turtle miraculously appears and prevents him from having to kill Ozai or actually figure a way out of the problem himself. For all his Aangst, the only tough decision Aang has to make in the series is to choose to actually fight Ozai, not even to give up his feelings for Katara to access the Avatar State...And it's not like that's too hard, because otherwise, the world will probably end. Aang is quite flat and static, and even though he runs away from his problems, he always ends up with said problem solved because-well, he's the hero. He's got to have his problems resolved-whether by another or by his self, it doesn't matter...Right? Now contrast that with Zuko, who comes across many hard times in his life and many difficult decisions he is forced to make (ex: The Crossroads of Destiny). Zuko grows and matures throughout the story, from becoming an originally conflicted character who fights to gain (in his mind, regain) acknowledgement from his father and to get out of the shadow of his sister as he searches for 'honor' and determinedly goes after the Avatar even though he has no chance against him; to a character who eventually sees beyond all that and truly finds his own place in the world, against all odds challenging and calling out his own dad, then escaping and joining the GAang to do his part in saving the world in spite of what it could and does cost him. This growth culminates to show how much he's matured when he fights and arguably is defeating his own sister by using his limited resources better than her more powerful ones and keeping his cool until he attempts to sacrifice himself so that Katara can, and does, live. To be honest, IMHO, Aang is rather weak and flat even when compared to other characters besides Zuko. His Aangst is mainly WAangst, and he's really just a simple and underdeveloped child whose static tendencies and tendency to have most of his problems solved by others make him quite boring as a hero. He's not really cute, nor is he truly heroic-more a poorly drawn picture of perfect idealism and pacifism winning out in an undoubtedly cruel world similar to the one we live our lifes in. -The Fearless Leader Edited by The Fearless Leader

[Profiles]

Cropped.png.611b6f973fd434d0847c1fdaa53ac881.png

Wisdom. Restraint. Emptiness. 

In my mind, the first worst thing about A: tLA was its music-I can't really remember any of its pieces playing except the main theme and The Last Agni Kai.

I thought it was great. Fit the characters perfectly. You really don't remember the Blue Spirit theme? Or the Tsungi Horn? You should look them up, they're great.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I absolutely adore this show. The movie was so disappointing, too. The only thing it had going for it, really, was the visual effects and location scenery. Everything else (actors, bending effects -sadly-, plot, etc) were a huge let-down. My favorite episode (or rather the one that sticks out most in my memory) is when Katara comes face to face with the man who killed her mother. Ugh, such a great story they had for that.

In my mind, the first worst thing about A: tLA was its music-I can't really remember any of its pieces playing except the main theme and The Last Agni Kai.

I thought it was great. Fit the characters perfectly. You really don't remember the Blue Spirit theme? Or the Tsungi Horn? You should look them up, they're great.
Or "The Big Bad Badgermole," "Secret Tunnel," or the theme that played when they first arrived in the Northern Water Tribe. Then there was the creepy music in "The Puppet Master" episode. Gotta love it. ^^ Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Wind

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I loved the show mostly for it's well-developed characters. The show also proves to be an ideal mix of action, drama, and comedy. The animation and the soundtrack are superb, and the plot has some lovely little twists and turns. I can't wait for Legend of Korra to come out.

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

My favorite show ever!Korra, well, let's just say I'm one of the fans who cried when I saw the trailer for the first time......SO I'M EXCITED!I want insight to knowing what happened after Sozin's Comet!ESPECIALLY ZUKO'S MOM(URSA)!OH and the movie sucked, I gave it a .1/10 for bad story, misuse of effects, bad casting, NOT LINKING CHARACTERS TO THE SHOW!, missing characters, bad directing, the list goes on and on and on. AND IT GOES ON AND ON AND ON YEAH! I THROW MY HANDs UP IN THE AIR SOMETIMES, SAYING A-OH, THIS MOVIES G@Y-O!

I loved the show mostly for it's well-developed characters. The show also proves to be an ideal mix of action, drama, and comedy. The animation and the soundtrack are superb, and the plot has some lovely little twists and turns. I can't wait for Legend of Korra to come out.

Agreed

Percussion is love. 

Not a perfect series, but great story and great characters. Looking forward to Legend of Korra! Here's hoping it doesn't suck though, lol. After M. Night's movie I'd hope that Mike and Brian would be given new resolve and clear this franchise's name after that monumental failure of cinema.

evangelyne.jpg

The original series got shown on ABC and later Channel Ten. Korra comes out next year, so it's too early to tell which stations are going to show it.

Id say Nickelodeon will do it first, as they were the original producers. Then ABC since Channel 10 is not exactly the most up to date in the cartoon department *cough*Digimon season 2*cough

axonn, trying to excape my signature

Untitled-2.gif

Not a perfect series, but great story and great characters. Looking forward to Legend of Korra! Here's hoping it doesn't suck though, lol. After M. Night's movie I'd hope that Mike and Brian would be given new resolve and clear this franchise's name after that monumental failure of cinema.

Actually, I'm not sure the movie hurt the show's reputation all that much. Everyone I've talked to (who had not watched the original cartoon) has said nothing but good things in my experience. They thought it was interesting, and by all standards a good movie. Of course, every fan I have spoken to has expressed the exact opposite of that opinion, but the fans know the show is good. The audience that has not seen the show from my experiences have nothing bad to say about the show (as they appear generally uninterested to begin with), so I really don't think there would be too much harm done... The new series may be something of a personal level (if they feel they need to make it up to the fans because they generally disliked the movie) or because the show just had so much success that Nickelodeon was interested in taking it a step further. Who knows? Whatever the reason, the new series is looking very promising thus far and I'm very excited to see it when it comes out next year. And Korra's animal guide; best thing ever? Quite possibly. XD Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Wind

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Personally, I think that the series is one of the best (if not the best) animated television series out there. It's got an epic storyline, diverse settings, and an amazing soundtrack. Nowadays, if you look at the selection of TV programs being aired, you can only find a few programs like this (if you find any at all). Hated the movie, by the way. The bending effects were way out of sync (remember the group of "imprisoned" earthbenders fighting back, stomping their feet in unison, and garnering a tiny wall? Or the part where Aang tries to water bend in front of the lake, and it looks like underwater fountains are at work?) though I do appreciate the realness of it. What's the deal with firebending though? You can't CREATE fire? Except for Iroh, of course. There were only 6 jokes in the movie (yes, I counted) when it's supposed to be a more light hearted, family oriented movie. They also made Sokka so much more serious, and virtually destroyed his character, so that we didn't hear any Sok-casm (Sokka Sarcasm - Source: Avatar Extras). Sorry for ranting. I'm not trying to start a flame war, just pointing out my huge disappointment in the movie. Fact: M. Night Shyamalan is the writer, producer, AND director for this movie (conclusion: it's all HIS fault http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/angry.png ). Actually, the reason he showed interest in doing a movie for the franchise is that his children are into it. Right after i watched the movie, I couldn't help but think, his kids must hate him for doing the movie. I'm pretty sure he did very little research into the story, as he really has ALOT of mistakes to correct in terms of characters. HIs main mistake was that he tried to condense about 440 minutes of story into a 103 minute film. He could've done a prequel, or a direct sequel to the franchise, though I think a prequel would be better, as you wouldn't need to explain the entire 3 seasons of the series for that. I'm just really disappointed in the movie. Moving on....I think the Legend of Korra is going to be great. Same team, same quality, new story.

"Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, 'No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back,' it never WOULD have come back."

-Greg Farshtey

Zuko: "Uncle, I didn't see you get hit by the tongue." Iroh: "Shhhhhhhhhhh." :superfunny:

Forget Sokka. Iroh's the real expert at approaching women! XD

superpaper_624_1255384923.jpg

"By me... Count Bleck! The chosen executor of the Dark Prognosticus... is Count Bleck! The fine fellow prophesied to come to this dimension... is also Count Bleck!"

• 2 months later...

Omg Great Find yesterday!My local Blockbuster is going out of buisness, so I went and checked it out, and most movies were just $6 a piece.So I went to the childrens section, and I see ALL the avatar Seasons(well indiv. volumes) I already had Season 3 volumes 3 and 4.So I walked out with 11 Avatar DVDs for around $66, and I was happy!

Percussion is love.